PDA

View Full Version : Best way to screen?

Jmznudd
16-02-2007, 20:40
I run a Slaaneshi Chaos army, with Chosen Chaos Knights. I've tried to screen them with chaos hounds but I'm doing something wrong. I'm not sure if its the distance between the units, or the angle I should put them at.

So how do folks screen? I don't want to limit this just to my army.

Thanks!

-Jmz

skyly
16-02-2007, 20:42
put a beast heard around the unit, easy and cheap

Master Vampire
16-02-2007, 21:17
put a beast heard around the unit, easy and cheap`

That surely helps the LoS, but not the movement. Althought it's a valid answer to the question asked (in my opinion), I don't think Jmznudd wants to slow the Chaos Knights' speed down.

I run a Slaaneshi Chaos army, with Chosen Chaos Knights. I've tried to screen them with chaos hounds but I'm doing something wrong. I'm not sure if its the distance between the units, or the angle I should put them at.

So I suggest getting them closer together? 1-2 cm should do fine. What is it exactly what you mean with angle? You mean shooting units shoot you from the side?

To be honest, the Chaos Dogs aren't what you call 'resilient'. They got no save whatswhoever, and are only T3. They do get shot down. :)

Cheers,
-MV

dominic_carrillo
17-02-2007, 00:14
the beast herd is best, good toughness, a potential save, and their harder to hit.

Master Vampire
17-02-2007, 09:24
the beast herd is best, good toughness, a potential save, and their harder to hit.

Seeing two people give their advice - and I'm giving advice from a VC perspective - and hence I ask: why use a Beastherd as a screen?

They don't move as fast and will slow the Chaos Knights down.

Hywel
17-02-2007, 11:57
There's not really all that much to it.

Make sure they are positioned to protect the knights from shooting and if the knights are looking to be within charge range of the enemy, make sure a knight model has LOS to a target without sacrificing the protection of the screen.

In this way the hounds can be thrown away charging another unit while your knights hit their target. If the diversionary hounds can charge a unit with frenzy or hatred to disrupt the battle line then all the better. They can even occasionally cause some mild damage if you're lucky, so keep an eye out for units including spellcasters or other weak yet juicy targets for them. Don't expect much, but its worth a shot!

hoboreefer
19-02-2007, 15:52
how many units of dogs should screen a unit of knights? for example, in most games in which people use artillary, they position these towards the corners of their deployment zones. if knights are in the middle, often they can be shot by multiple units. so should one use several units of dogs/ marauder horsemen to screen?

Jmznudd
21-02-2007, 20:10
Thanks for the replies, folks. Sorry I haven't gotten back to it lately. Been on vacation.

So if I use warhounds to screen, I should stagger them with the knights?

HHHHH
_NNNNN

Is that right?

As far as a beastheard goes.... Would the knights sit in the middle of the heard, with one knight able to look out? Or would it be better to have the beastheard sitting farther in front? This sounds like a combination I can do with my minotaurs as well.

-Jmz

feintstar
22-02-2007, 23:16
I often find that the enemy manuvers such that I don't have LOS to charge. He doesn't shoot the screen, then uses it against me. I've got a protected, but useless unit of knights.

Esco Thomson
23-02-2007, 14:42
I found a great site that covers screening in good detail, with pictures even!
Screening (http://hometips.com/content/screens_intro.html)

In other news, the Beast herd way is IMHO the most effective way to screen.

beastgod
23-02-2007, 17:57
or use furies in the deployment then fly the furies closer to get charge net turn and still screen the knights... have much use of this tactic...