PDA

View Full Version : Libera Di Tactica Immunda.

inq.serge
17-02-2007, 09:50
Hi.

I'm making a .pdf/.doc called "Libera Di Tactica Immunda" (Latin for "Book of Dirty Tactics", (If someone is a good latin speaker, then I'd be thankfull if someone makes a more correct name.))

As the name suggests, It will be filled with all dirty trics and tactics and such in warhammer FB.

I was going to make some chapters, I.E.

Legal Cheats; Magic item Combos; Dirty tricks; Dirty tactics; Combos and dirty every-thing-else.

Is someone interested of helping me?
Does anyone know any dirty trics and tips and watchamaycallits to include in the book?

Von Wibble
17-02-2007, 10:46
Under legal cheats - Using lots of Tzeentch units to generate power dice for a Slaaneshi Level 4, whose spells are so much nastier. (take an undivided exalted as the general so the army is legal!).

"Accidentally" overshooting with war machines and thus hitting important units and not screens is a dirty trick. Obviously such things as memorising arm measurements and leaning across the table a lot to aid rangefinding also fall into this category.

Dirty tactic - using terrain deployment rules to get a hill on 2 opposite corners of the table and a few buildings in the other corners - if you're dwarfs.

Van Horstmanns and Shield of the gorgon is a nice magic item combo, especially if combined with a strong armour save and possible ward (either from a war alter or full plate and barded warhorse).

I belive a Blood Dragon can be mounted on a Zombie Dragon, and has access to 2 items that each reduce enemy attacks by 1, and someone else nearby can have the cursed book. Meaning even a chaos lord only gets 3 attacks at 6 to hit....I think there's still room for shooting protection/ combat nastiness also!

And of course, for dirty everything else - Skaven and Nurgle;)

Arhalien
17-02-2007, 11:07
Halberds while mounted? Don't think that's illegal. Giving mages armour, which apparently is no longer outlawed in the brb.

Wings of Doom
17-02-2007, 12:53
But mages can only take armour if it is listed as a mundane option or the armour specifically says so, so as almost no mages have the former and there are only a few options of the latter most mages still cannot take armour.

Dirty tricks? Casting a magic missile on a unit in the magic phase, and using the measurement taken for your warmachines in the next phase.

I think the arm measurement thing is pre-measuring, which is cheating.

Dirty tactics? Last turn charge with a very weak unit so the enemy persues off the board (requires some luck/lack of foresight on the opponents side), turning frenzied models backwards (although this isn't as relevant in 7th it still works with Bloodthirsters and Chaos Dragons).

Vladimir Deathblade
17-02-2007, 13:23
GOBLIN SLING SHOT! (Thugh make a note that people will complain ALOT if you use it...)

For VC, raising a unit behing the enemy, and then breaking thm in combat. While not that dirty, it is still extreamly powerful.

Book of Arkhan and Skull staff. (Needs two wizards) Move a unit into combat, and then make even zombies fairly killy!

Chaos
Magic Items: Golden Eye of tzeench on a chaos dragon.

Corrupt
17-02-2007, 13:36
Gauntlet of the Duel, Virtue of Confidence.
Reroll all failed hits and wounds in duels, opponents cannot refuse.
Amazing vs skaven esp. Though still brilliant against other races. Might I reccomend Sword of the Ladies Champion and possibly the Tress of Isoulde, just to make sure the targetted enemy dies! or Maybe the Cuirass of Fortune. Rerolling any ones at all helps outside of challenges, on armour saves etcetcetc

EvC
17-02-2007, 18:18
This sounds interesting, but does it have to be all dirty tactics? Simple but sneaky ones can be good too, like putting characters on the corner (Or a champion in a single line in case they get flanked, meaning the enemy can only cause one wound)...

Yanos
17-02-2007, 22:58
I'm making a .pdf/.doc called "Libera Di Tactica Immunda" (Latin for "Book of Dirty Tactics", (If someone is a good latin speaker, then I'd be thankfull if someone makes a more correct name.))

Hokay, gonna flex my GCSE (High School) Latin muscles and give this a try. I wouldn't call myself a Latin speaker by any stretch, but with a little revision from Wiki this might turn out ok.

Guessing you used the Italian equivalents. I have no experience of Italian so I'll plough on...

Interestingly, that popular "tactica" word that crops up all over the Forum isn't used like that in latin; it actually concerns touching stuff, as in tactile. Weird how these things crop up. But I'm gonna use it anyway, 'cos "res militaris" doesn't have quite the same ring :D.

Anyway, your best bet might be something along the lines of Liber Tacticarum Sordidorum. Or if you want something more catchy but less liguistically precise, Liber Tactica Sordida. Let's face it, 'ol GW aren't really known for their latin scholarship ("Imperator Rex" means "Emperor King", which is something of an oxymoron), so as long as it gives people the right idea (sordid tactics sounds about right :D) you don't have to worry too much.

Yanos
17-02-2007, 23:04
And to throw something into the melting pot:

Dark Elf Magic Item combo: Lifetaker (magic crossbow) and the Blood Armour. Great against low T and AS, as it'll improve your own armour save as you snipe at vulnerable types (wizards, Banshees, weapon teams).

Tutore
18-02-2007, 05:30
DE IMMUNDIS BELLANDI RATIONIBUS LIBER

That sounds more correct.

Makarion
18-02-2007, 07:41
Hi.

I'd have to dig deep in my highschool memories for the correct Latin, but what you wrote was much closer to Italian than Latin.

Lord Steven
18-02-2007, 10:54
Halberds while mounted? Don't think that's illegal

I quite often field an exalted champion with a halbard on a steed of chaos. Also, have given a Chaos lord on a dragon one. Pretty sure it's fine.

Extra hand weapen and mounted is not allowed though I think.

Von Wibble
18-02-2007, 11:53
I think the arm measurement thing is pre-measuring, which is cheating.

Not if your opponent doesn't see it;)

And no, I've never done it.

Lifetaker and Blood armour mentioned above, plus of course a great weapon is one of my favourite combos...

Noticed that you can get a Saurus with Quetzl, Enchanted shield, light armour, Cold One, and Aura of Quetzl (4+ ward against S>5).

-1+ armour save, and a 4+ ward against any attacks that would reduce that to less than 2+. Of course a humble S4 character with IAS would deal with it!

High Elf units with Lion Guard character, facing the opponent side on. That way they are stubborn and the character with them can't be killed! Then to win the combat the HE player throws some cavalry and chariots in.

Vladimir Deathblade - I thought Skull Staff allowed you to see enemy magic items. How does that make Zombies killy?

zak
18-02-2007, 14:50
I can't remember the exact name of the staff, but it allows all units within 12" to be affected as if they had the spell that allows them a free attack cast upon them. So you effectively magic move and attack in the same turn.

Neknoh
18-02-2007, 16:25
Character assassination is always a "nice" thing, let's see... Chaos Lord of Slaanesh w. Rending Sword, Enchanted Shield, Chaos Dragon and Bindings of Slaanesh is always nice, otherwise, overguessing with cannons and the heatseeking warmachine are two fairly standard tactics

Esco Thomson
18-02-2007, 17:09
I took high school latin, but that was it, though I do believe you are actually close(it does look like Italian, but he is close):

It should be the "Libri of Immunda Tactics" because there is no real latin word for tactics.

Another possibility would be "Libri of Immunda Modus" which would be book of dirty methods.

I will try to think of some things to put on here, first one that pops up is 2 SSC, as with sufficient magic you can be lobbing 4 rocks on turn one.

Yanos
18-02-2007, 20:18
Ooo I like that last one. It's quite sad that I'm finding the Latin more engaging than the Warhammer :eyebrows:. I make it to be Liber Modi Immundi, or Liber Immundi Modi :).

Is the Dire Wolf conga line still possible? Unit of 10 Dire Wolves led by a Vampire Count with the Wolf Form bloodline power and some protection. Form them into a line with him at the head then take on a ranked unit in the flank. The Vampire makes the kills, attacks back (if any) can only strike him, and the rank-cancelling unit-strength-21 unit then autobreaks most enemy units that started out with ~20 models. Nasty.

Takes some doing of course :cheese:.

sparks
19-02-2007, 14:48
i once reformed my empire knights into a snake formation to prevent some wolfriders getting past. Literally formed a blockade using the table edge to stop them getting to my cannon!

so what if they got +1 for the flank, they weren't getting through 1+ saves with any ease and i'd have at least 3 knights attacking back thanks to base sizes. almost worked a treat, if it weren't for the fact he managed to WAAAGH a base of snotlings into the front fella(6th ed, no idea if that was legal then, either way I allowed it!), meaning they were bogged down for far too long. Both cannon and knights survived the battle though,so ultimately worth it :D

EvC
19-02-2007, 14:55
Is the Dire Wolf conga line still possible? Unit of 10 Dire Wolves led by a Vampire Count with the Wolf Form bloodline power and some protection. Form them into a line with him at the head then take on a ranked unit in the flank. The Vampire makes the kills, attacks back (if any) can only strike him, and the rank-cancelling unit-strength-21 unit then autobreaks most enemy units that started out with ~20 models. Nasty.

You can have a single rank with a Vampire Count at the head, sure. You can also be really nasty and make him the Battle Standard to really ensure you'll win combat, and give him either the Flayed Hauberk for +1 save (Just in case!) or a magic weapon to hepl things along. Nasty!

sephiroth87
19-02-2007, 16:38
One of my favorite combos is to get a Goblin Big Boss, give him Lucky's Dirk, the Brimstone Bauble, and stick him in a Goblin Chariot. Then run him 18'' right at the biggest, most expensive character they have. Usually, he'll have at least 3 strength 5 attacks on the charge, you have a goblin with strength 4, 2 wolves, and d6+1 strength 5 impact hits. And if that doesn't kill him and he kills the big boss, he'll take ANOTHER D6 Strength 6 hits. It kills Chaos Lords, vampires, warbosses, and just about anything you can get ahold of. And it's cheap! However, you will likely lose the chariot if he dies, but it's still a good tradeoff to me...

Nobody expects the 115 point Goblin suicide bomber to down a 400 point character!

EvC
19-02-2007, 18:43
If the character is in a unit though, I beleive all the chariot attacks will have to go to the unit, won't they? Even in a chellenge you step off to fight don't you?

Sashu
19-02-2007, 18:52
If the character is in a unit though, I beleive all the chariot attacks will have to go to the unit, won't they? Even in a chellenge you step off to fight don't you?

Very correct.

sephiroth87
19-02-2007, 19:13
Right. You can't distribute the impact and explosion hits against a character in a unit, but there are characters on monsters just begging to be hit.

EvC
24-02-2007, 15:39
Another one which I was reminded of recently: Greenskin armies can have a Black Orc Battle Standard Bearer who comes "Armed to da Teef", i.e. with Additional Hand Weapons and a Great Weapon, which he can use in combat even though regular Battle Standards cannot. Very nice!