PDA

View Full Version : saurus with spears question

BozzyB
20-07-2005, 23:32
After recently buying the Lizardmen army book, I've been furiously raking through trying to create a list that I am happy with. However me being a "t0t4l n00b11" to the Lizardman army book, I've managed to confuse myself.

So my question is this. On page 25 under the predatory fighters rule it states

"...Saurus Warriors fighting with spears may only make a single attack, rather than two, if they are positioned where they can attack in the second rank of fighting..."

Does this mean that if I have a unit of Saurus with spears, the front rank can attack with their two normal "predatory" attacks, and I also get the single spear attacks from the saurus behind, OR does it mean that i get my front and second rank of saurus to attack with a single attack each?

My gut reaction was to go with the second, as it seems more fair, but the more I read it, the less sure I become

anyway, thanks for any help, and sorry if ths has been covered before, as I've been out of fantasy for quite a while now.

Bozzy

Brother Frog
20-07-2005, 23:35
Your first choice is correct:

The front rank of spear-saurus get two attacks, and the second rank gets one attack as long as they aren't moving. Remember: spears in the second rank don't get to fight if the unit has moved that turn.

BozzyB
20-07-2005, 23:44
First of all...woa! the ledgendry Bro Frog replied to my third post! (feels honoured)

Thanks for clearing that up, I guess that sort of makes spears the obvious choice then, as its the same attacks when charging as without, and extra attacks (over handweapons) while being charged.

Or am I missing something vital, as I see alot of hand weapon-equiped saurus.

Lordmonkey
20-07-2005, 23:55
Well, it gives you the option of either opting for spears for more attacks, or shields/handweapon combo for a heftier armour save. However, you pay the points for this option - its not always worth doing if you really cant spare the points.

Brother Frog
21-07-2005, 00:34
Also, spear armed troops can elect to use their hand weapons instead of their long, pointy sticks. This is especially useful when trying to hold up a hard enemy unit so that you can flank them. Just remember, once you declare which weapon you use, you're stuck with it until that combat is over.

First of all...woa! the ledgendry Bro Frog replied to my third post! (feels honoured)

Nothing legendary, nothing special - just Bro Frog. :)

Griefbringer
21-07-2005, 09:55
Or am I missing something vital, as I see alot of hand weapon-equiped saurus.

Well, the spears cost a lot, while hand weapon gives bonus to armour save in close combat. And if you are planning to use the Saurus offensively, then the spears would not give full benefit.

GranFarfar
21-07-2005, 11:57
Yeah, It is that 2points/spear thing that makes it hard to motivate more A over the AS. If you ask me those spears shoulnd´t cost more than 1 point each. Would be a rather more interesting and fare trade-off.

fubukii
21-07-2005, 20:20
Sarus with +1save and +1 attack and thge charge get 15str 4 attacks on the charge anyway with a save of 3+ in combat.(5+scaly, shield, hand wpn shield) Much better then a spear unit imo

Riddy
22-07-2005, 07:35
Sarus with +1save and +1 attack and thge charge get 15str 4 attacks on the charge anyway with a save of 3+ in combat.(5+scaly, shield, hand wpn shield) Much better then a spear unit imo

They also cost more, wont be charging very often with M4, wasting Mk of Sotek, they also take up a rare choice and cant be joined by a character without the Mk's of Quetzl and Sotek. I think i'll stick to my spears ;)

peteratwar
22-07-2005, 08:26
Must say I prefer the basi HW/Shields for my Saurus + BS of Quetzel. As my 2 combat characters have that spawning anyway, there isn't a problem. As I play an attacking army the spears are largely redundant

Brother Frog
22-07-2005, 08:52
I personally am a huge fan of spears. Anything that gives me the possibility of more attacks has to be good. But then, as I'm using Bretonnian peasantry, I need all the attacks I can get! :cries:

As already stated, unless your opponent is Move 4 or slower, you're probably not going to get the charge very often. Your spears suddenly become much more useful...

T10
22-07-2005, 09:41
I wasn't aware that Bretonnian peasants used spears - the Men at Arms use pole-arms (counting as halberds), don't they?

-T10

Brother Frog
22-07-2005, 11:22
I wasn't aware that Bretonnian peasants used spears - the Men at Arms use pole-arms (counting as halberds), don't they?

-T10

They do, but they can be swapped for spears at no extra cost. Which is nice.

TeddyC
22-07-2005, 16:05
i may as well add to this as i need 2 posts to be able to make my own post!

anyway.... im teddyc! some of you may remeber me from portent. good to see some of you guys back!

As been said the front rank will get their 2 attacks (as one is 'predatory' i.e. biting, hitting with tail) while the one is with a weapon, the ones i nthe second rank dont get close enough to bite so can only use spears.

Sorry for repetition!

fubukii
23-07-2005, 17:37
They also cost more, wont be charging very often with M4, wasting Mk of Sotek, they also take up a rare choice and cant be joined by a character without the Mk's of Quetzl and Sotek. I think i'll stick to my spears ;)

theres a diffence of 20 points between a 20 man unit of the saurus i listed compared to basic Spearmen saurus. This is also assuming you dont give them a spawning as well.

T10
24-07-2005, 12:22
They do, but they can be swapped for spears at no extra cost. Which is nice.

Heh. I must admit I never thought to check if the Men-at-arms actually had any equipment options.

Who would have thunk...

-T10

Brother Frog
24-07-2005, 19:50
Heh. I must admit I never thought to check if the Men-at-arms actually had any equipment options.

Who would have thunk...

Who would that thunk indeed! It is shocking that so many people moaned at the Men-at-arms having WS 2, but bearing in mind that they come with light armour, shields and polearms or spears as standard, who can complain when they only cost 5 points each?

Griefbringer
25-07-2005, 15:28
who can complain when they only cost 5 points each?

High Elf players? :cool:

Brother Frog
25-07-2005, 17:52

I thought the entire purpose of Helvis players was to provide the complaints about everything. ;)

Riddy
26-07-2005, 15:10

Never have truer words been spoken in the Fantasy rules forum...