PDA

View Full Version : Spear men???

bigbear bailey
18-02-2007, 00:08
Do spearmen ever do that good for you (say nothing please high elves haha). I mean using empire I have never really used them and I was thinking of adding a unit in my list...

Thanks for the help in advance...

Alathir
18-02-2007, 00:30
Not really...

I dont rate them at all (high elf spearmen and eternal guard are a different story though)

Your better off with the other state troop options I say.

DarkTerror
18-02-2007, 00:51
I love the look of them, so I use 'em. Swordsmen are the clear winner statistically, but I always use a unit of spearmen. They're plenty capable w/ a detatchment.

Von Wibble
18-02-2007, 11:59
The problem with spears in a lot of lists such as skaven and undead is that for 1 less point you get hand weapon and shield for +1 save. Cheaper and harder to kill tends to win out over the extra (situational) rank.

That said, against troops with less attacking ability, or a S6 charge that negates even swordsmen, I do use empire spearmen led by a warrior priest. With the extra attacks synergising with hatred, and the fact that empire spearmen are in fact cheaper, this can be a reasonable option.

chaos_core
18-02-2007, 14:47
do they get a sheild in the new rule book on the models it looks like they dont empire btw

fearchanges
18-02-2007, 16:53
You can gice them a shield, I usaully go for 25 of them with Full Command and a nice warrior priest to lead the bunch. Combine that with some archers to take up missle fire and 10 haberdiers for support and they do their job ok

blahblahblah
20-02-2007, 00:21
You can gice them a shield, I usaully go for 25 of them with Full Command and a nice warrior priest to lead the bunch. Combine that with some archers to take up missle fire and 10 haberdiers for support and they do their job ok

points-wise, wouldn't you be better off just using the 25 points from the shields to buy 5 more guys to boost the unit or its detachment?

Von Wibble
20-02-2007, 16:56
Depends. If the extra pip of save saves just 1 life then its worth its weight in gold in combat resolution (assuming your extra attack gained doesn't get a kill for even more of a bonus).

But otoh, an extra unit gained by losing spears on 2 units is also very valuable. So it depends upon how many units you have (too many and the extra men won't help), and how dangerous the enemy is. Of course if he packs a lot of troops with S5 on charge the shield is pretty pointless on spears.

Mephistofeles
21-02-2007, 16:07
So it depends upon how many units you have (too many and the extra men won't help)

I don't agree, you can never have too many troops!

Anyway, spearmen have worked well for me, but I feel that swordsmen are better in so many ways that it's almost silly. The core of my views are:

Spearmen are good.
Spearmen with shields are good.
Swordsmen are better than spearmen with shields, for the same cost.
Spearmen without shield are on par with swordsmen for the same points.

Hywel
21-02-2007, 19:00
Aware as I am that swordsmen are classically 'better', to me it doesn't really make a vast deal of difference which state troop I use. The essential thing is that they have full ranks, a standard and outnumbering. The rest is just details.

Thusly I mix around with them depending on mood. If something hasn't had an outing in a while, I'll give it a whirl.

Currently toying with the idea of a warrior-priest led unit of spears 7x5. Lots of attacks with re-rolls! I don't care if they're ineffectual, just look how many dice I get to roll! :D

Keller
21-02-2007, 19:48
Spearmen are just fine. For the Empire, I find all 3 types of state troops to be quite effective, but actually prefer swordsmen the least. I have been meaning to add a second unit of both spearmen and halberdiers to my army, though I haven't exactly been too motivated to do much lately.

I like spearmen, but I also like other units.

Crazy Harborc
21-02-2007, 20:23
I use parent units of 20/24 spearmen with shields added plus full command. To that I add two detachments of 10 swordsmen. Lately, I add a warrior priest to "inspire";) been working for me for many battles over the decades. Well, I DO add a few other little items to the roster.:angel: