PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Jack Burton
21-07-2005, 09:12
We thought it would be nice to have a thread devoted to the new wfrp. Please feel free to post campaign,stat,scenery,house rule or any other ideas! If your a warhammer fan this game gives a great new way to use those models and conversion skills.The fluff books are also must haves for fantasy fans.

MadMarchhare2k2
26-07-2005, 08:06
I just got the new book and I must say it looks great much much better then the last issue

rottin' daniel
26-07-2005, 09:50
The Monster book is just great, all the aspects of Role playing are there, including scholar views, personal views and more, it's a great book for even dedicated WHF who dont even like the system.

Vesk
26-07-2005, 17:27
I absolutely love the new book. I love how simple the system is comapared to other RPs and how it gives you plenty of background info on the setting.

Mikko Leho
03-08-2005, 09:06
Black Industries did a good job in cleaning and adding new elements to the core rules. Old World is basically the same as it was in the previous edition with some changes. However I am less impressed with the size of the books: the core rule book is a bit thin on certain areas and the current supplements are even worse. The artwork and information is top notch, there is just too little of it :(

Petrov_101
12-08-2005, 19:47
A couple questions:

1) Are there any "region" maps of the Empire? I'm about to map out Middenland but if a map already exists showing all the towns and villages I'll use that instead. I found a player made map on Strike to Stun but I'm not happy with it.

2) The rulebook discusses the days of the week and the days of the year. It says some months have 33 days and some have 32 but it doesn't say which ones. Does anyone know if there is a complete calendar located somewhere?

I've looked for answers for both these questions on the internet but so far have been striking out. If anyone has any info, please let me know.

Thanks,
Pete

Pillx
05-09-2005, 09:46
...did they revise WHFRP?
I did see a couple of sourcebooks at the local game shop recently and they looked really nice. So, what are the differences between the rules now and the (I guess) first edition WHFRP, anyone?

Keravin
05-09-2005, 10:06
Most of the fundamental problems of 1st edition (bad magic system, dwarves becoming tanks quickly, skill progression) are sorted in 2nd edition.

Mikko Leho
05-09-2005, 15:48
Don't forget alignments, differently scaled attributes and dividing careers to warrior, rogue and other paths. There are still occational stupidities like gaining negative agility modifiers for wearing any kind of chain mail on any part of your body. And while the fluff is good, there is very little of it. This is very clear when comparing v1 and v2 core rulebooks.

Keravin
05-09-2005, 18:31
They also levelled out the starting careers so certain careers were not dreadful compared to the rest.

Pillx
05-09-2005, 23:20
When I browsed the sourcebooks, they seem to have dumped a good amount of background material into it but then I didn't exactly look too deep. I could see why the fluff is a bit short in the main book though. With a page budget plus carreers and other rules bits, it could get tricky. Still, if it's like many GW products (though, as I understand it, it's not published by GW but licensed?) it would be heavily laiden with artwork...

Sanguinius
27-09-2005, 10:29
At the risk of sounding cynical,
The reason they didn't go to deep into the background is so they could release a series of dedicated source books on all the different races and nations an charge 18 a time for them.
That said, Sigmars Heirs is a great book and well worth buying, as is Blood on the Reik.

Sotek
07-10-2005, 22:30
Is the new ed not more expensive like you needabout 2 or 3 hardcover books, E45 each !

Sanguinius
18-10-2005, 03:51
The new edition is the about the same price if you want to play a fairly simple, beginners game. if you are like me, an experianced GM and want to run something deeper and more complex then on top of the rule book you will need, the bestiary, the armoury book, the forthcoming magic book and possibly the GM and player packs as well depending on if you have access to a photocopier. total cost £45-£60 plus the core rule book.

Heph
28-10-2005, 16:19
I also love the new books. And it is definately worth the cost. At the moment I own all current books minus plundered vaults(don't see the need) And they all are really good.

I was looking at amazon and not only do they have the third paths of the damned, (Forges of Nuln) and realms of sorcery on preorder but I see that there are still many more books to come in the form of a background book to Bretonnia and a new campaign called Barony of the Damned(which i assume is about the undead) I have no idea how my group is goin to get through it all.

So far we have tackled the started campaign in the back of the book, one of our own made a campaign, we went onto ashes of middenheim afterwards and after next session we will have finished the bogenhafen one too and will soon be moving onto Karak Azgal. At the rate these books are being pumped out we'll prolly end up being a few months behind at some point.

On careers I feel there is a slight lean towards combat careers better as for us, it seems combat is inevitable and there isn't much you can do about it.
Maybe that is just our GMs so far. I intend to make it have as little combat as possible when I write my own campaign (I have partially started writing it. But that'll prolly change a few times till I settle on a setting.) I also feel there is a problem with the lack of sneak attack bonuses. Although these should really be implemented by the GM I feel their should be rules in the book..I was lucky enough the a few weeks back to do a successful assasination ONLY because I got a double critical and my halfling had an uber high Ballistic Skill.(Targeteer-ing halflings rock, what is that A bs of 82 which could have eventually ended up being need to roll less than 112 to hit.)

Hmm..I feel I have some new ideas for my GM now. :p

Heph

KDP Morgoth
07-11-2005, 22:01
Preview pages and art from the new Realms of Sorcery book are now up on the Black Industries website:

Preview Pages:
http://www.blackindustries.com/default.asp?range=wfrp&template=previews

Preview Art:
http://www.blackindustries.com/default.asp?range=wfrp&template=ros-previews

They've also updated the descreptions of some of the In Development books:
http://www.blackindustries.com/default.asp?range=wfrp&template=development

Mikko Leho
08-11-2005, 06:41
Those upcoming titles are certainly more interesting than what has been published so far. I am particulary interested in guidebook for Bretonnia and Karak Azgal. Hopefully our gaming group has the chance (or the misfortune) to visit these places.