PDA

View Full Version : New Pseudo-Delaques

devolutionary
19-02-2007, 08:38
My warband is somewhat fanatical for all the wrong reasons (like, they're all nuts). I have loaded them up individually, but I get the feeling I should drop the sidearms for more models.

I'm mixing a lot of models for this force for a very rag-tag look. I've got Marauder conversions, Cadians, Kasrkin, Bretonnian conversions, Inquisitor for the leader, Priest for one heavy, Van Saars, yadda yadda... Just want some opinions, especially on the heavies;

Lord Biarn - Boltgun, Sword, Laspistol (modeled off a DH Inq)

The Friar - Flamer, Laspistol
Gunther - Autocannon, Stubgun (this is the big one I am curious about)

Bloody Eastwood - Lasgun, Autopistol
Hopeless Jaeq - Shotgun, Stubgun
Sergeant Drakefort - Plasma Pistol, Laspistol

Frak-head - Autopistol
Stim - Stubgun

Not many models, hence my concern. The Autocannon alone is sucking up 300pts, so I'm worried that perhaps it's too much and that a Heavy Bolter may be better. I want something decent, simply because it's easier to pay for it now than later.

Catferret
19-02-2007, 08:44
While Autocannons are really vicious, more Gangers will serve you better. Switch the cannon for a Heavy Stubber. It is more than sufficient early on. Use the 180 creds to buy a couple of Gangers and a Ratskin or Scummer.

Don't worry about backup pistols on anybody except Leaders and Heavies. Spend the creds elsewhere.

And Stubguns aren't worth it ever except for style factor! :D

devolutionary
19-02-2007, 08:54
well I just looked at my Cawdor stuff and I have a suspicious amount of them, though three of them are the same. No juves, and I don't know how smart that is.

Catferret
19-02-2007, 09:09
A lot of people seem to be finding random Cawdor models recently. They just seem to turn up in boxes. It's weird because they are one of the least popular gangs.

devolutionary
19-02-2007, 09:14
oh these aren't random, I bought them as a big group a while ago and they've been soaking in simple green for about 9 months ;)

I'm wondering whether or not I can mix them with Van Saars, but probably not. Thank god for Bretonnian Peasants and Cadians!

Darkhorse
19-02-2007, 10:48
Delaque? I take it you aren't using the house weapon list because swords, plasma pistols and autocannons aren't on it.
Whilst the Autocannon is popular amongst Goliath gangs the Goliaths don't seem that successful, though the Autocannon is a nice (high impact) weapon.
Stubguns are rubbish and the last thing a juve should be armed with.
A lasgun armed ganger doesn't need a backup weapon.
A heavy is going to be at the back so a pistol would be as useful as a paperweight. If you need a backup weapon give him a basic weapon.
3 Gangers, you are going to be very short of income without at least 5 gangers.
I did play with an autocannon armed Delaque heavy before we had House weapons, can't say I was that impressed at the time, the Stubber isn't my favourite piece but it is a popular choice for many.

devolutionary
19-02-2007, 10:54
We're running the original books. which had no separation of weapons based on house *pats the three main books*

Stubber is tempting, but so is a heavy bolter. I want something that can lay down a good amount of fire. I want to focus on lasguns wherever possible too, simply to avoid ammo fails. Stubguns are cheap and do damage. I plan on outfitting Juves with decent weapons soon enough, once they prove themselves even remotely useful.

I've re-looked at things and come up with around 6 gangers, 2 heavies, and a leader. Still not sure on it though. I just really want some nice shooting this time around (played Orlocks last time, focusing on assault).

ash_wednesday
28-02-2007, 21:08
And Stubguns aren't worth it ever except for style factor! :D

They're great for juves. GIve them dum dum rounds and your juve got a s4 weapon right away. Who cares if it blows up, he's a juve....

Lord 0
01-03-2007, 12:59
Yeah, a s4 weapon he is not going to hit with any time soon :p.

devolutionary, if you want something that can lay down fire, you should definitely go for the heavy stubber to start with. It puts out the same amount of fire as the heavy bolter, but is a lot more reliable.

If you are feeling lucky I suppose you could go for the heavy bolter, but the number of times I have seen my opponents explode their weapon is hilarious :D. I think to successfully run a heavy bolter your heavy needs a few tech skills under his belt.

Oh, and good for you for using the old books. We don't use the new ones either.

Catferret
01-03-2007, 13:02
Weaponsmith and BS4 or higher are the absolute minimum before I consider Heavy Bolters. A Stubber is 60 creds cheaper, thats a couple of Juves and a Ratskin!

Tomothy
01-03-2007, 23:03
Weaponsmith and BS4 or higher are the absolute minimum before I consider Heavy Bolters. A Stubber is 60 creds cheaper, thats a couple of Juves and a Ratskin!
Or more realistically one juve with weapons and a ratskin as juves are 25 each and a ratskin is 15.

Angelwing
01-03-2007, 23:07
They're great for juves. GIve them dum dum rounds and your juve got a s4 weapon right away. Who cares if it blows up, he's a juve....

i like your thinking. however, i usually give them a club and knife. they have to earn a gun..

i use the old books too!:p

Darkhorse
01-03-2007, 23:21
And Stubguns aren't worth it ever except for style factor!

When you're dealing with BS2 accuracy is the main consideration, the stubgun is a death sentence because they won't even slow down an opponent before he bounces your skull off a bulkhead.
If you're dead set on S4 weaponry (and I do appreciate the high strength strategy) the bolt pistol and/or handflamer tend to be the prefered options.

ash_wednesday
02-03-2007, 21:32
When you're dealing with BS2 accuracy is the main consideration, the stubgun is a death sentence because they won't even slow down an opponent before he bounces your skull off a bulkhead.
If you're dead set on S4 weaponry (and I do appreciate the high strength strategy) the bolt pistol and/or handflamer tend to be the prefered options.
Hnadflame yes, since it's and auto hit so BS MchemS. Bolt pistol...not for a juve. Too expenive for a meat sheild.

But after i game, my juves earn the right to carry a stubgun by being the meat sheild for my leaders.

devolutionary
04-03-2007, 06:13
Juves are meatshields, simple as that. I rely on my Gangers. If a Juve can survive with a Stubgun, then I'll get him something nice. Consider it hazing ;)

That and, quite frankly, I'd rather put an expensive weapon somewhere it'll do more good. A Juve with Stubgun and knife isn't precisely defenseless since they are low threat and underestimated in combat.

ash_wednesday
05-03-2007, 17:04
That's pretty much my way of thinking. I'm even more cruel twords my juves if I get them for free via Settlment...