PDA

View Full Version : Advice Before I Order pls

Zhai Morenn
19-02-2007, 18:44
Hey all- When I come into some money Im thinking I want to get into this game now here's my main questions

How do the Eldar perform? Has anyone played with or against them? What was it like?

How do the Tau perform? All of the above quesitons repeated.

Which would you recommend?

This looks like an amazing game and Im eager to learn more about it but I want to spend my money on the first force which I would enjoy most- Feedback is most appreciated!

MacVurrich
19-02-2007, 19:01
Eldar are limited at present as the models arn't completley out
the games we've played using stand-ins have played well.
the clubs enjoyed it so much that we've arranged an open toruney in August

The tau have some really hard hitting weapons
from what we've seen so far each race is farily balanced.
Get some grounds defence units
Out of the two Tau/Eldar the eldar seem to have more advantage, but then that may be just the playing style of our gamers

hope that helps

mattjgilbert
19-02-2007, 19:59
The Eldar are fast, agile and can hit hard. I haven't tried the Tau yet.

BTW - FW are a little overwhelmed at the response to this game and are still behind on getting stuff into the warehouse and out to customers! They may be a delay on shipping so check with them when you place the order.

ml2sjw
19-02-2007, 22:08
my humble thoughts on the eldar

http://z8.invisionfree.com/Airspace/index.php?showtopic=172

Imber
20-02-2007, 10:49
The Eldar have extremely good planes, especially with the high.very high movement and saves. However, you won't be fielding nearly as many units because of the points cost.

Tau are only slightly more expensive than other army lists, and have the strength in their weapons (and seeker missiles) and in the Manta. Even at 96 (110 ith missiles) it is well worth having.

Baaltharus
20-02-2007, 11:46
Hey ml2sjw, in your article on the Eldar you say the phoenix should get 3 hits a turn with its missle launcher, this is wrong, even on sustained fire it should only get 2 hits. Otherwise the articles pretty good.

ml2sjw
20-02-2007, 16:34
Thanks Baaltharus, i dobn't have the book in fornt of me for the stats i might have meant three hits for the entire game(assuming your using the ammo rules) under optimum conditions as most of my stats were worked out in this way.

that said as all the math was done in my head whilst doing other things it could just be wrong. The article itself is still very much WIP though as i'm messing round with it as i get more games in, nd i'm yet to properly proof read it

Edit having checked i meant three damaging hits a game, assuming your using the ammo rules thanks for spotting that

Kargan DaemonClaw
28-02-2007, 00:49
Eldar ships have very good stats but they are very expensive in points.

In a 60 point game you get 2 Phoenix against 5 Chaos Hell Blades.

Because the game is mixed movement rather than IgoUgo turns if the Eldar move first they might find that they get out manouvred. Its certain that the Chaos player will (at least initially) be moving 2-3 unts after the Eldar player has moved and they could quite easily get some models behind the Eldar.

Tau are Ok planes but their number of dice is relatively limited so its unlikely that they will get kills in one shot. Having said this I did see one Tau player get 2 hits with their missiles and knock a lightning out of the sky. The turret guns are also a nice feature especially in close passes.

Zhai Morenn
28-02-2007, 05:08
Yeah, I am rather torn between the possibility of having the best fighters and pilots in the galaxy or having those nifty tau and their turrets. The whispers keep telling me to get a clutch of Hell Blades and Hell Talons though... It sounds like the chaos craft are fast, manoeuverable, though not as much so as the Eldar but far more numerous. Any players with Chaos experience out there?

Tyra_Nid
28-02-2007, 06:20
Any players with Chaos experience out there?

It can get a bit tedious moving a kazillion Hell Blades around, but at least when you outnumber the enemy by a lot you can see his movements and get into position behind him. This also allows you to converge A LOT of fire onto the one enemy craft. 'Very High' maneuverability is very handy too!

On the other hand, the ships are fragile and lack variety. I wouldnt particularly want to play them regularly.