PDA

View Full Version : Man'o'War ship sizes

Solus
20-02-2007, 18:51
Hi, I was just wondering if you could post approximate length of (preferably High Elf) Man'o'War ships - reasons being:

a) the ships are too expensive/rare on eBay
b) whilst some ships still look nice, I have found prettier things on Rod Langton's site - http://www.rodlangton.com/ - just want to check which would be most suitable.

Thanks ever so much for any input!

Col_Stone
22-02-2007, 08:02
smallest elf ship 3cm long 1,2cm wide
medium elf ship 4,5cm long 2cm wide
Biggest one, 4cm long 3,5cm wide

i can't remember which one is which right now so i hope that helps

the1stpip
23-02-2007, 19:56
Smallest - Hawkship
Medium - Eagleship
Largest - Dragonship

If anyone knows where to get any historical ships at a similar scale from, I would greatly appreciate it...

Solus
23-02-2007, 22:02
Hi! thanks so much for posting those, try rod langton's webbie the1stpip - it is particularly gd for bretonninans, empire and dwarves and, with a tiny bit of conversion I have found the perfect HE ships, good news is, they are almost the same size :D

the1stpip
24-02-2007, 17:34
Have you got the URl for it, please?

Solus
24-02-2007, 23:46
Sure - it is in my first post - http://www.rodlangton.com/

Enjoy:D

The game is afoot
25-02-2007, 06:06
Bear in mind that the two smaller vessels are outriggers and the large one is a Catamaran.

Meraklis
03-03-2007, 23:45
so this means that we can use 1:1200 scale models that will actually look similar to GW's ships?

Indraunt
04-03-2007, 01:45
You can... But the problem with MoW models is they're not a consistent scale... They tend to range from about 1:350 through to 1:3000 or so... For anyone interested I began writing some rules for fantasy naval battles a few years back... I'd be happy to post what I still have floating around if anyone wants.

The game is afoot
04-03-2007, 09:03
Indraunts right, there is no set scale, which meansd you can probably use anything close that is relevant.

BlackViper
24-04-2007, 14:52
Hope this post isn't against the rules;

I'm looking into man-o-war and I can't be bothered to pay the full price (or ebay prices) for the ships). Now, I've found this game which is called "pirates of the spanish main", I think. This is a collectable game involving model boats that reatail for about 2 for 2 boats... They're 3d pick and pluck type things, not sculpts but I'm definately considering getting them as a cheap replacement (10 for a whole fleet I recon), so long as you're interested only in human-ish boats (I dislike most of the other race's boats).

Check 'em out by googling "WizKidz games".... ?

Not for everybody, but might be worth a look

Apologist
26-04-2007, 14:04
Rather vaguely related to the topic at hand, it's worth noting that the range ruler used is identical to the Blood Bowl throwing ruler.

Also, Forgeworld used to do a rather fetching Warmaster scale ship that would be perfect as a Man O' War ship.

WholeHazelNuts
26-04-2007, 16:43
Hope this post isn't against the rules;

I'm looking into man-o-war and I can't be bothered to pay the full price (or ebay prices) for the ships). Now, I've found this game which is called "pirates of the spanish main", I think. This is a collectable game involving model boats that reatail for about 2 for 2 boats... They're 3d pick and pluck type things, not sculpts but I'm definately considering getting them as a cheap replacement (10 for a whole fleet I recon), so long as you're interested only in human-ish boats (I dislike most of the other race's boats).

Check 'em out by googling "WizKidz games".... ?

Not for everybody, but might be worth a look

I already did that. And funnily enough all the recent releases have somewhat related to the races of Man O'War. We now have Nautilus types for dwarf armies, viking long-boat types for the Norse, sea monsters the lot. All that's missing are fllying creatures. I've even begun to look at making the templates...;)

BlackViper
27-04-2007, 16:21
Yeah, I asw the nautilus too - looks quite good. I like the viking ships too, 'cos I'm thinking Slayer Pirates and somehow they just seem liket he right kind of boats to me.

I think the one problem with using these Spanish Maine ships as proxies is that you don't know exactly which ships you'll get in each pack (I think).

WholeHazelNuts
30-04-2007, 20:00
YOu can get single ships etc from here...

http://www.the13thfloor.co.uk/indexpirates.asp

:)

the1stpip
01-05-2007, 11:56
I did buy a couple of boxes of PotSM to try it out, and while the models are not bad, they don't stand up to a lot of battering...

Oh and the rules are so simplistic, its ridiculous...

dragar
05-11-2015, 12:37
There easy enough to sculpt

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk