PDA

View Full Version : Q. about Lord of the Night by Simon Spurrier (I've read it)

STGM
23-02-2007, 02:53
Got a question after reading the book. For those of you who haven't read it, and who doesn't want the spoiler, please STOP reading now! :D

Why did the Eldar want the Corona Nox? It seemed to me they wanted it and put the whole book in motion just for the sake of creating a background. Did I miss something obvious?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Toastrider
23-02-2007, 03:10
What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Honestly, it's hard to tell why the Eldar do things. The easiest assumption is that they were going to take the Corona Nox and stick it away in the Black Library, on the shelf next to Tzeentch's Sorcery for Dummies and the collected works of Uwe Boll.

--TR

Khaine's Messenger
23-02-2007, 04:24
One wonders whether they wanted it or simply wanted others not to have it. It was claimed to be a psychic artifact of some minor power (it was Konrad Curze's "happy hat," remember) and was a symbol of leadership for some fairly powerful servants of Chaos--the rather big daemon that showed up to try and claim it was rather annoyed to say the least. It might have stolen/traded Eldar technology integrated into it, perhaps even a spirit stone or similar (see the description on p355). Of course, you can always fall back on "well, they're Eldar...they probably had their reasons."

Slazton
23-02-2007, 04:57
Personally I subscribe to Khaine's theory (there is a first for everything) in that the Eldar quite flatly did not want the artifact falling back into the Night Lord's hands. Quite possiably the Night Lord who wanted it for itself and was saying that the Primarch was essentially all about darkness and murder, could have potentially re-united all of the Night Lords back together and been a fearsome foe to some Eldar craftworld....

I mean the Night Lords like to cause Chaos and if they could muster enough forces to assault a Craftworld, don't you think they would? Plus the Corona is seen as an object of leadership amongst the Night Lords. Whoever wields it would potentially control the Night Lords, plus IMHO it could have been the Primarch's (his name escapes me and I feel like an idiot now) source of visions or it could have been a way to harness them.

Either way, it was a big enough threat to involve the Eldar, you know they were not there for tea and crumpets ;)

Wazzahamma
23-02-2007, 08:20
I thought they did it to draw the Night Lords legion away from their craftworld, averting it from destruction at their hands. Something they set about in motion at the time of Night Haunter's death...

Noserenda
23-02-2007, 09:15
Yeah i remember a ddendum at the end saying that all the fuss over the Corona caused by the Astropaths message diverted the Night lords from a nearby Craftworld, the Nox was more a Secondary objective i guess.

Tanner MIrabel
23-02-2007, 11:19
I thought they did it to draw the Night Lords legion away from their craftworld, averting it from destruction at their hands. Something they set about in motion at the time of Night Haunter's death...

Yep, that was what I thought too. Eldar playing the looong game.

jfrazell
23-02-2007, 11:57

That was my thought as well. The nox might be relevant in itself for the Eldar to get, but the whole thing seemed to draw off the Nightlords from a craftworld attack they were about to do.

STGM
23-02-2007, 13:30
Thanks. Talk about a long-term plan... 10,000 years!