PDA

View Full Version : Which Warband to start with?

Dranthar
23-02-2007, 09:35
My local club will be starting a mordheim campaign and I thought this might be a good opportunity to try out the rules and take a break from painting ridiculous numbers of night goblins.

The problem is, I don't have a clue where to start. I skimmed the rules a little while ago so I know the basics and I've also picked up a few pointers from reading these forums but there's still a few questions;

1. Are there any decent tactics/advice articles for starting warbands on the internet? I figure something like that might be a good starting point.

2. Which Warband should I start with? At the very least I want to be able to have a gang that won't be hamstrung by poor rules from the start.
Right now the ones that appeal to me are;
Marinbergers (sp?) - Because a bunch of spoilt fops with expensive gear is funny.
Skaven - I like Hordes, and skaven are pretty hordish.
Dark Elves - simply because I have the models, painted and all. They seem kind of difficult to use effectively though.
Orcs and Goblins - But only If I can do all goblins AND keep it effective...so I doubt I'd be using these. :rolleyes:
Necromancer? - Does such a warband exist? I'm sure I remember that there was an undead warband without Vampires around somewhere...

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Sir_Turalyon
23-02-2007, 11:04
Necromancer? - Does such a warband exist? I'm sure I remember that there was an undead warband without Vampires around somewhere...

Don't recall such a warband, at least official one. Of course, you can always try to kill off your vampire...

Orcs and Goblins - But only If I can do all goblins AND keep it effective...so I doubt I'd be using these.

You have to take orc leader, and with "useless gitz" rule the goblins are, well, useless gitz. You will need orks, or squigs.

Dark Elves - simply because I have the models, painted and all. They seem kind of difficult to use effectively though.

They didn't work for me. Or against me.

Skaven - I like Hordes, and skaven are pretty hordish.

Hordish, pretty efective, they look like good beginners choice. I don't like them, so I heve little experience with them, so I can't help you much.

Marinbergers (sp?) - Because a bunch of spoilt fops with expensive gear is funny.

They are band I was going to suggest you when I read thread name. Basic warband, no complicated special rules, more money to balance them out, easier access to rare items - solid beginner's choice. Just remember you like hordes and spend extra money on more thugs with clubs and knives (broken bottles and chair legs), rather then on expansive stuff,

Catferret
23-02-2007, 11:41
Skaven are possibly the best warband in Mordheim. Lots of good Heroes and cheap Henchmen. They really fit your horde idea as well.

First vote Skaven, second vote Marienburgers.

P.S. There was a Tilean warband that got bonus cash at the start too. I think the Tilean bands are in the Lustrian stuff.

Spartan-001: Master Chief
23-02-2007, 14:16

First vote Skaven, second vote Marienburgers

totaly agree with catferret they would be the best choices to start with. You could max out all your hero slots with both warbands. i.e. more exploration dice.

P.S. There was a Tilean warband that got bonus cash at the start too. I think the Tilean bands are in the Lustrian stuff.
23-02-2007 11:04

They are indeed in the Lustrian stuff but they have special rules.

Dranthar
25-02-2007, 01:22
Okay, after some thought I figure that as nice as Skaven are, I'd have more fun using a warband led by a spoilt rich kid, so Marienberg it is. Here's the list I'm toying with;

Mercenary Captain @ 123 GC
Brace of Duelling Pistols; Mace; Sword

Champion w. Mace; Sword @ 48 GC

Champion w. Mace; Sword @ 48 GC

Youngblood w. club @ 18 GC

Youngblood w club @ 18 GC

2 Marksmen w. bow @ 70 GC

2 Marksmen w. Crossbow @ 100 GC

3 Swordsmen w. Sword; Buckler @ 150 GC

Total 575gc

That leaves me with 25gc with which to hire a mercenary. Are there any particularly good ones you'd recommend? I was thinking either Bard or Arabian Merchant, both of which seem decent and fit nicely into the whole 'spoilt fop' idea. :D

A few more questions - is it possible to take a sword, buckler and club and use all three in combat (ie. attack with the club, parry (and +1A) with the sword and reroll the parry with the buckler)?

Also, should I bother with helmets at any point?

Catferret
25-02-2007, 16:24
You can't use a second weapon and a buckler I'm afraid.

Helmets are worthwhile. A save against being Stunned is fantastic.

Tilean Mercenaries are great Hired Swords for fire support. If you can afford an Elf Ranger they are better and not only improve your Exploration but fit with your "Fop" theme! Yay!

Sir_Turalyon
26-02-2007, 10:23
Helmets are worthwile, but I would not bother with them until the band is maxed.

Shooting is overpriced, and I would not take that much of it.

Lord 0
26-02-2007, 10:41
Shooting is expensive, but I have never found it to be not worth the cost with my Marienburg mercenaries.

Even whittling down the enemy by one or two can be enough to force a rout check after the first charge, and you never know what will happen.

It does not happen often, but I have taken out elves and dwarves by a few lucky hits and then them rolling 11 or 12 on their first check.

gorgon
26-02-2007, 18:45
Shooting is underpowered, if anything. If you're not getting good results with shooting, it's because you're not taking enough of it and not specializing units properly.

If I was starting Marienburgers, I'd strongly consider fielding at least one blunderbuss, especially if you're using the advanced gunpowder rules. But that's just my taste.

Looking at your list, I'd do some things differently (namely, give my heroes a little more shooting and swap the pistols for a xbow) but there's nothing really wrong with it. You avoided a lot of the common pitfalls that new players fall into. The real strength of human warbands are their flexibility, so you can mold them to your playing style.