PDA

View Full Version : Making the models

vampking111
23-02-2007, 12:18
This is just a quick question, my first part order for Aero Imp turned up.

A pir of lightening fighters and the rule book itself. Now, i've cleaned and made the fighters, how did YOU go about putting your planes/ships onto the AI bases?

Becaused I'd rather not drill a hole into the base of my fighters, either before or after painting. I was going to glue the clear rod to the base of the fighter then paint round it. What do you think?[dice0]

Greblord
23-02-2007, 14:44
I drilled 2mm holes in the bases of the lightnings. I have one near the tailpipe so that the plane looks as if it's climbing, the other is toward the front, offset and drilled diagonally, so that it looks as if it's in a turning dive...
I saw it as an opportunity for dynamic posing rather than a problem...

vampking111
23-02-2007, 15:36
Cheers, thats really helped me. And I'll probably do thye same sort of thing. Thanks

tanker
23-02-2007, 16:25
I have a mix. For bombers so far I've just used the medium, clear, stand peg. Most of the Tau stuff have mounting holes. For my fighters I've used the small peg with the insert cut off and a length of brass wire coming out of the top of the peg and into the bottom of the model. This allows the fighters to be higher than the bombers and I can change their pose a bit by simply bending the wire a tad.

Greblord
23-02-2007, 17:04
you may want to check this thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68919) too, as there is detail on how to mount your planes on neodynium magnets. This is what I have done with my thunderbolts - works a treat. I am seriously condisering doing all my planes like this - the ability to snap off and snap on is very useful.

Imber
23-02-2007, 22:48
I need to find some alternative mounting as well. Whilst my Manta can easily be mounted on an Aeronatica base, the kind people at FW have not been so kind as to actually send me a base with the model. I don't want to have to order one as I would have to buy more than I want to fill up the minimum order cost.

Also, I find it quite absurd that I am expected to put a Manta on a simple base; I'm not sure that it is really the best idea for it, as I imagine that it would be quite unstable, even if I were to pin it. Are there any ideas for how to make a larger base for a Manta?

Uncle_Thor
23-02-2007, 23:12
Are there any ideas for how to make a larger base for a Manta?

Why don't you mount the AI base onto one of the larger round bases they do for 40k IG weapons Teams and the like. I imagine that would do the trick.

Or if you want to go really stable an old CD. It'll be flat enough that you can still place other ships on top of the base (that's if anyone wants to get that close to a Manta)

Spacker
24-02-2007, 09:33
I need to find some alternative mounting as well. Whilst my Manta can easily be mounted on an Aeronatica base, the kind people at FW have not been so kind as to actually send me a base with the model. I don't want to have to order one as I would have to buy more than I want to fill up the minimum order cost.

Ring them up and tell them - they'll send a base out on it's own free of charge. I've so far had 3 AI orders with stuff missing (bases and stems), a quick phone call and 2 days later the missing parts turn up. Their customer service is extremely good.

Imber
24-02-2007, 11:00
Why don't you mount the AI base onto one of the larger round bases they do for 40k IG weapons Teams and the like. I imagine that would do the trick.

Or if you want to go really stable an old CD. It'll be flat enough that you can still place other ships on top of the base (that's if anyone wants to get that close to a Manta)

Thanks for the advice, but I am also looking for an alternative to the stem of the base.

I probably will call them. I know that my brother alrady has after his gunship came with an umseemly mould line. They aren't doing to well here are they?

Kymmerus
25-02-2007, 15:58
Thanks for the advice, but I am also looking for an alternative to the stem of the base.

I use brass rods and barrel clasps for my larger BFG ships, and will likely be using the same technique when I lay my hands on some AI pieces.

The idea is to find barrel clasps (I get mine in the crafts section at Walmart) A barrel clasp is the piece that screws together to close certain types of necklaces.

Then you mount one piece of the barrel clasp in the mini and the other into a piece of brass rod/tubing (I have a hobby shop in town that specializes in train sets and for whatever reason in the train area they have a nice display with various sizes of brass and aluminum tubing)

Finding a piece of brass rod that will allow you to slide one end of the barrel clap into it, you now have the beginnings for a very sturdy stand. You'll just need a pipe cutter, a bit of standing and filing and you can make the stem any length you desire. A big plus is that you can remove the bases for storing the minis more easily.

Sorry if this is hard to describe but it works really well in my experience... just a quick search of 'starship and barrel clasp' netted me these pics to illustrate the process.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=279066&sid=c32ecfc426fda3be8b189f83b2a76db5

(Though they seem to go a bit 'farther' than I like, having that little collared section for keeping the barrel clasp on a solid piece of rod, I've had no issues just using a whole hollow tube as the entire stand)

Imber
27-02-2007, 07:44
Thank you. I'll be sure to try that now.