PDA

View Full Version : The first of my thunderbolts

DaCone2
23-02-2007, 13:07
WIP of the first of my thunderbolts.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/DaCone2/Martin/ThunderboltRed1diving.jpg

Thats the best pic cos you can see the edge highlighting better. :)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/DaCone2/Martin/ThunderboltRed1.jpg

There will eventually also be a number showing which fighter it is on the right wing outermost panel. The tail colour shows the different wings ( Red, blue, green, yellow etc. ) I was thinking of using the white numbers from the cadian infantry transfers.

I was thinking of having a light grey underside, but i am not sure if that would be too much of a contrast from the fairly dark grey top.
For the grey i was thinking of VMC Ghost Grey which is slightly paler than GW Space wolf grey.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/DaCone2/Martin/ThunderboltRed1Climbing.jpg

Do you think i should?

tanker
23-02-2007, 16:27
Nice. I'd say leave it. You really won't be able to see the bottom anyway.

orangesm
23-02-2007, 16:58
Looks fine... very night fighter like.

Rictus
23-02-2007, 17:12
Love hunderbolts and this is very nice.

I think a lighter underside might be a nice contrast which isn't to say I don't like the current colour. Might be worth a go though just to see what it looks like.

Look forward to seeing the finished aircraft whichever way you go.

Brother_Bethor
23-02-2007, 17:17
Very nice plane. I'm not really fond of your colour scheme but quality of painting is quite good. Good work. :)

Christine
23-02-2007, 17:23
Thats pretty darn cool :) Keep up the good work!

Uncle_Thor
23-02-2007, 21:14
Well done, I think it looks excellent. I agree with you that a couple of decals/numbers will finish it off nicely.

Will look nice when there is a few of them ganging up on the enemy. ;)

Imber
23-02-2007, 22:35
The paint job is very nice. The colours are very clear and distinct...looking very much like a real plane job. As to the underside, I think I'd just keep it the same colour throughout. You could say put some masking tape on the bottom and paint on that, so you could get an idea of how it would look, but can later remove the tape (and all paint) if you dislike it.

mageboltrat
24-02-2007, 01:27
Often RL aircraft have a pale blue underside to act as camo from the ground. It looks cool. A friend has a similar coloured fighter which he has done this with.

DaCone2
24-02-2007, 23:32
Well, i decided to paint the underside the same as the top side and clean a few lines up. I just had a look at the transfers i was planning to use ( which was the cadian infantry ones chopped up so that they are individual numbers rather than 3 numbers ) but the cadian ones look quite ornate. I was actually looking for some fairly plain white numbers 1-4. Can anyone think of where i could find them? I have a bit of time before i put them on cos i am thinking i will get some microset and microsol which i have heard good reviews for.

I was also thinking of varnishing it afterwards although some people say that some varnishes change the colours slightly. Has anyone found this and what would they suggest using? I found that GW matt spray seems a little bit glossy and I would like matt if possible.

greenmtvince
25-02-2007, 05:09
If you have a shop that carries model railroading supplies nearby look for the custom decal packs for rolling stock from dozens of various manufacturers. I've got a pair of decal sets for some HO scale 40 ft boxcars and it has three or four of each digit for serial numbers only a milimeter or two in height.

mattjgilbert
25-02-2007, 22:58
I was also thinking of varnishing it afterwards although some people say that some varnishes change the colours slightly. Has anyone found this and what would they suggest using? I found that GW matt spray seems a little bit glossy and I would like matt if possible.
Gloss varnish will really change the colour. The GW "matte" varnish suddenly went to satin one day with any notice (at least I didn't realise until I sprayted a whole load of models with it). The colours remain the same though which is good. I think I've heard people way that Testors Dullcote is good but run a search or ask the question in the Painting and Modelling section (and post your findings back here;) ).

Tyra_Nid
25-02-2007, 23:54
Vallejo matt varnish is quite good, and doesnt change the colours (that Ive found). However, it isnt quite as 'protective' as others ive used. Generally its a good idea to do a gloss varnish (often more protective) then a matt varnish over the top.

mageboltrat
26-02-2007, 10:34
The GW "matte" varnish suddenly went to satin one day with any notice (at least I didn't realize until I sprayed a whole load of models with it). Yeah that was hardly without notice. They had a bad batch which turned models white. Which kind of caused GW staff some grief, they were removed from sale. When the supplier was approached they found that all the machines had to be completely flushed and by the time this was done the EU had made the solvents or propellants (don't know which) illegal, so the Matt never came back :( The closest they could do was Satin. Testors dull coat it actually more matt than GW paints so even that will change the look, it makes metallics look almost NMM too. I think the best results will be got by using satin but in short bursts with time to dry in between. It is more glossy if you do the whole lot in one coat. You could also spray varnish it and then go over it in GW Matt paint in a pot.

Greblord
26-02-2007, 11:12
I use windsor and newton acrylic matt and gloss varnish for my finishes - they are brush-on but give good results.

DaCone2
26-02-2007, 12:44
I think i will have to get some testors dullcoat and see how that goes.

I want fairly large lettering ( 2-4mm? ) and i think transfers that small would be more than i can really do well cos i haven't really used transfers before.

Are there any other transfers that anyone thinks would work? Non-GW or whatever?

greenmtvince
26-02-2007, 12:59
2-4mm? How 'bout the Forgeworld Imperial Transfer Sheets? I know they have a bunch of numbers in various sizes, some which look to be about that size.

If not, I still recommend rummaging around the model railroad section of a well stocked hobby store for transfer sheets. The ones I've got are small, but with 3 major scales and each railroad or rolling stock owner doing their own thing, you'll get a variety of sizes and fonts.

DaCone2
26-02-2007, 13:47
I didn't realise that forgeworld did transfer sheets . . .

I just had a quick look on their site and couldn't find them.

Do you have the link?

greenmtvince
26-02-2007, 14:05
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/IMPERIAL_GUARD_VEHICLE_ACCESSORIES.html

Towards the bottom of the page. 5 quid a pop. I have no idea how big they are, but looks like lots of large and small numbers.

DaCone2
26-02-2007, 14:41
Dur. I can't beleive i missed those.

Thanks for that, It says symbols. I'd want to make sure that numbers are on there before i pay 5 + P&P purely for transfers.

Tis a pity the pic isn't bigger really. Do you know anyone who has actually used them?

mageboltrat
26-02-2007, 15:16
I use windsor and newton acrylic matt and gloss varnish for my finishes - they are brush-on but give good results.

That it does. You have to make sure your brushes are really really clean as it is very good at dissolving any paint residue on the brush and transfering it to model.