PDA

View Full Version : How do i make my PC temporarily crap?

Marsekay
06-04-2005, 05:40
Hey all. i am having some issues with my comp, so i thought i would turn to the greatest knowledge base out there, The portent community.

I was "lucky" enough to be given a super old PC game the other day, "Dune" the original version. i had this on my old amiga the other day. and i thought ok i will have a go, should be fun for nostalgia purposes.

I inserted the CD, and hit the install program, it analysed my PC and told me i had an "amazing" CD drive speed, probably due to the game being made in the 1940's.

After that it said all i had to do was type "dune" in the dos prompt.

I hit ok.

Dos popped up, something was written on uit then it was gone, all in about 1 tenth of a second, just enough to notice it said something.

I wasnt allowed to type anything, let alone "dune" becauise the wondow just dissapeared.

So i hit the Dune run program.

The screen went black, then my other monitor turned itself off, i waited,

The screen was still black,

I waited.

I alt tabbed out, carried on messing around on other things. then checked the dune program.

Alas it was still black.

I gave up, i had to manually shut it down, i think it wasnt gonna work. i tryed all the different files on the CD and what it installed, they all seemed to do the same thing.

Is my PC to good for this 1940's game? can i make it run? or should i give up forever?

Portent, its over to you.

Brimstone
06-04-2005, 05:48
If you're running XP then it may not work, you could try compatibility mode but you'll probably need a program like DOSBOX.

Marsekay
06-04-2005, 05:58
Whats this compatibility mode?

is DOSBOX something i have to pay for?

Brimstone
06-04-2005, 06:03
OK compatibility mode - Go to your start menu and find the Dune entry, right click on the main program icon and select "properties"

Go to the compatibility menu, click on the box to run the program with a earlier version and select the version of windows you want to use.

For Dosbox look here. (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1)

Sylass
06-04-2005, 06:06
-> DosBox (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1)

It's free to download.

Compatibility mode:
I'm not completely sure, but I seem to remember that you have to create a shortcut of the program you want to run in compatibility mode first.

Right click on the shortcut, take a look at the properties. There should be an option somewhere to run the program in compatibility mode. Try selecting an old Windows version that was based on DOS there, e.g. Win98.

*edit*
Beaten by Brimmy...*shakes fist*

Marsekay
06-04-2005, 06:23
Compatabilty mode seemed to make no diff, the earliest i could run was won 95 which i think is maybe still too new, now getting Dosbox, i have gone for the top one from the link, does it make any diff which one i went for?

Cheers for your help guys.

Sylass
06-04-2005, 06:33
You need to pick the download that fits your Operating System. So Windows in your case. The first link is for the download of the LINUX Debian version only. ;)

Marsekay
06-04-2005, 06:39
Dosbox has got it going!
Superb info chaps! i owe you all one.

Brimstone
06-04-2005, 06:59
Cool :cool:

So is this Dune the RPG like game or the original Westwood Dune game?

Marsekay
06-04-2005, 08:16
This is the RPG like game, man the pc versions music is bad lol, the amiga music was much better!

It has voices though haha, and a couple of flying in the orni pointless sections.