PDA

View Full Version : Call me crazy but...

Corrupt
25-02-2007, 18:18
Hey I never play WE and there was this new guy in today with a force so i played him at 2k.
Call me crazy but I've never heard of some WE special rule saying every unit moving through a wood charging into a wood etcetcetc takes d6 Str5 Impact hits. I know theres a spell to do it, but in my move phase for every unit in contact with a wood? Ouch. Wiped out my Helms that did :(
Oh and do eternal guard have bows? I dont recall them having them from my glances at the book and my spearmen liked to object to being pincushioned.
Was very lucky and scratched a minor victory despite this with Infantry Heavy HE (2x6 Helms, 3x 20 Spears, 2x12 Archers, 20 White Lions, 2x RBT, Heroes) but Str 4 Longbows peppering my from turn 1 was painful. And on skirmishers. Glad noone else at my club plays them, they are a bitch to hunt down!
Whats up with the impact hits? I'd play them if I knew every1 charging around near my woods received hits!

Holy Crap! Manticores!
25-02-2007, 18:21
lol, maybe it's time for you to look over the WE AB again, it sounds like you got swindled on a few things. And congrats for winning anyway... with HE even.

Revlid
25-02-2007, 18:22
Hey I never play WE and there was this new guy in today with a force so i played him at 2k.
Call me crazy but I've never heard of some WE special rule saying every unit moving through a wood charging into a wood etcetcetc takes d6 Str5 Impact hits. I know theres a spell to do it, but in my move phase for every unit in contact with a wood? Ouch. Wiped out my Helms that did :(
Oh and do eternal guard have bows? I dont recall them having them from my glances at the book and my spearmen liked to object to being pincushioned.
Was very lucky and scratched a minor victory despite this with Infantry Heavy HE (2x6 Helms, 3x 20 Spears, 2x12 Archers, 20 White Lions, 2x RBT, Heroes) but Str 4 Longbows peppering my from turn 1 was painful. And on skirmishers. Glad noone else at my club plays them, they are a bitch to hunt down!
Whats up with the impact hits? I'd play them if I knew every1 charging around near my woods received hits!

There's a spell that makes one unit in a wood take a bunch of hits, but there's no impact hits against units charging through woods rule. And I'm pretty sure Eternal Guard don't have bows.

You got screwed over.

Arhalien
25-02-2007, 18:22
s4 longbows from turn 1? Were you within 15" of the opponent? it's s4 at short range only I;m afraid :)

Corrupt
25-02-2007, 18:27
Hahaha, given i don't play HE and noone near me ever has before I had never done much more than glance at the models. As I say i knew they had a spell to causehits if I camp under the trees, but impact hits were a touch wierd.
As for the Longbows, yeah my Cav and Spears were pincushioned up close but my archers felt the pain at long range 29 inches. Ignored their armour(yeah i payed for that armour and it was ignored!!!)
Meh, still got a minor victory. Il have a look at that book methinks...

EvC
25-02-2007, 19:08
Next time someone makes such crazy statements, be sure to ask him to show you where it says that in the army book, "just out of curiosity" of nothing else.

Corrupt
25-02-2007, 19:14
Next time someone makes such crazy statements, be sure to ask him to show you where it says that in the army book, "just out of curiosity" of nothing else.

I considered that and next time I will.
Just I'd never played Woodies under the new rules so i was like "Ok cool" but after like half my army was wiped out in 3 turns for almost no loss to him i started to wonder

DarkTerror
25-02-2007, 19:16
Why does this keep happening?

It seems like there's always someone asking questions like this. Why don't people do the SENSIBLE thing and ask to see their rulebook?

It's incredibly simple people!!!

Corrupt
25-02-2007, 19:18
Why does this keep happening?

It seems like there's always someone asking questions like this. Why don't people do the SENSIBLE thing and ask to see their rulebook?

It's incredibly simple people!!!

Well as I said, if it was an army I knew I would have, but I have NEVER played Woodies in 7th before today and had no reason to ask why. And I couldnt have asked for every single thing he did whether he could since I wouldn't have a clue. By the time I was wondering the game was over anyways so i left it, but if he pulls it again I'l mention it.

EvC
25-02-2007, 19:41
Might be a good idea to look for some mild revenge... if you see him playing someone else, hang around and see if he tries the same trick as he did with you. If he does try it with someone else you can mention so kindly that he got that rules wrong and hopefully ruin his cheating gameplan... and if he doesn't try it then you can ask him what happened to those special rules" he was using against you... either way he'll look like an ass!

Of course if it turns out he was just being silly and got it wrong don't be too hard on the newbie.

Sasha
25-02-2007, 19:50
i'm amazed you managed a win against rules like that. congrats

explorator
25-02-2007, 20:16
This happens sometimes with newbies who are just so pumped about their new army and special rules that they misinterpret things. I hope this was the case in your circumstance rather than your opponent cheating. The WE do have a ton of special rules to keep straight. The store I game at has store copies of all the army books so it is easy for all players to familiarize themselves with every armies if they take the time.

Mephistofeles
25-02-2007, 20:57
That thing with the woods causing hits is only for chariots, I have no idea how he managed to get that mixed up. It's not even a wood elf rule, it's a "normal" rule.

And strenght 4 always? That's sick...

Congrats to winning against that mate!