PDA

View Full Version : VC 1000 Starter Army

Weapon
26-02-2007, 05:15
In the vein of the Chaos list I posted, here is a similar beginner "core" army for Vampire Counts looking for critiques.

Heroes

Necrarch Thrall
Nehekhara's Noble Blood
Barded Nightmare
@137

Necromancer
Lvl 2
Book of arkhan
Dispell Scroll
@150

Necromancer
Lvl 2
Dispell Scroll
Black Periapt
@140

Core

19 Skeletons
Light Armor
Full Command
@215

19 Skeletons
Standard Bearer
Champion
@172

Special

5 Black Knights
Barding
Standard Bearer
Banner of the Barrows
@186

Total: 1000 pts.

Weapon
26-02-2007, 06:51
Edited list a bit, more Skellies, less Zombies.

Weapon
26-02-2007, 10:16
Is it the norm to run the Necromancers with a block of units, or seperate? I assumed you ran them with the units, since the 5" rule isn't in effect anymore, but I might be wrong.

Caligula
26-02-2007, 17:50
;) Greetings again, Weapon. Instead of trying to blurt out what I think should happen with this list, I'll make a list of my own, based on what you have here. To be quite honest though, I like what you have in many ways. Vampire counts can be horribly nasty when it comes to magic, and it seems like that's where you want to take these boys....good call!

I'll be back in a bit with a revamped list.

Caligula
26-02-2007, 18:11
Okay, I quickly wrote a little something up, changed some stuff around for you but still followed what I think you wanted to achieve. I added in a Necrarch Vampire Thrall for flavour, as I think you'll find you have more than enough magic to completely dominate the magic phase in most 1000 point games, and the Thrall gives you a little more melee ability. Anyway, here's the revised list I suggest....

Vampire Thrall(Necrarch)-
Nehekara's Noble Blood
Nightmare
Barding
@137pts.

Necromancer-
Level 2
Book of Arkhan
@125pts.

Necromancer-
Level 2
Black Periapt
@115pts.

24 Skeletons-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Skeleton Captain
@217pts.

24 Zombies-
Musician
Standard Bearer
@159pts.

9 Ghouls
@72pts.

5 Dire Wolves
@50pts.

5 Black Knights-
Barding
@125pts.

TOTAL-1000pts.

Hope this has helped, Weapon!

Weapon
26-02-2007, 19:05
Lots of cool stuff! I like the Vampire Thrall (The only reason I stocked so much magic is because the only hero I knew anything about was a necromancer :) )

The thing I would like to know: Does the vamp usually run around on his own, and the Necromancer's stay with the units, to keep regenerating and staying alive? Or does he need some more protection?

Negativemoney
26-02-2007, 19:43
Keep him with the Black Knights and raise units of zombies with him usualy behind your opponent's line. This way when he slams into a unit he is able to break that unit into the zombies and cause it to be destroyed. On his own he is a target for any type of missile fire or war machine fire.

Weapon
26-02-2007, 19:50
Keep him with the Black Knights and raise units of zombies with him usualy behind your opponent's line. This way when he slams into a unit he is able to break that unit into the zombies and cause it to be destroyed. On his own he is a target for any type of missile fire or war machine fire.

Aha, totally missed the black knights there! Hehe, yeah, thats definitely a plan. Are the black Knights Min. 4 or 5?

dominic_carrillo
26-02-2007, 21:12
YEAH BABY! thats what im talking about! finally someone understands the nigh unbeatable zombie mob list.

Caligula
26-02-2007, 21:25
That's pretty much what I intended for you to do, Weapon....keep the Vamp Thrall with the Black Knights for a little extra hitting power, summon units of Zombies behind the enemy units you charge with them, watch them break and be torn apart. It's beautiful:)

I've always been a fan of Vampire Counts, I've just never got around to making a list for them until now. Enjoy, Weapon! I think this one's pretty solid!

Hmmm...the more I look at it, the more I want to give it a try myself;)

Weapon
26-02-2007, 21:40
That's pretty much what I intended for you to do, Weapon....keep the Vamp Thrall with the Black Knights for a little extra hitting power, summon units of Zombies behind the enemy units you charge with them, watch them break and be torn apart. It's beautiful:)

I've always been a fan of Vampire Counts, I've just never got around to making a list for them until now. Enjoy, Weapon! I think this one's pretty solid!

Hmmm...the more I look at it, the more I want to give it a try myself;)

lol, Yeah I was intending to do a different army than VC, and just keep this for a backup, but the more I see it, the more I want to play it, especialyl with a magically Thrall in there!

From what I've read, overall it seems that lots of Zombies are good, but only for SUMMONING, other than having like a command unit, and Skeletons are the better ones to have just on the battlefield? Thats what I seem to gather from the posts.

Plus, I like the fact that with all those extra arms and stuff I can make a bit more than 20 Zombies ;)

Weapon
26-02-2007, 22:01
Posting an edited list. Not a carbon copy, but its got what I can get at the moment, and hopefully I can get more advanced stuff, like Wolves and Ghouls at some point. I kinda went with what seemed most important.

Weapon
26-02-2007, 22:21
Also, should the Vamp Thrall be a bit more protected? Maybe some armor or something, or can they not wear armor?

Caligula
26-02-2007, 22:53
Well, maybe it wouldn't hurt to give the Vamp Thrall something in the way of protection, maybe the Wristbands of Black Gold or something like that....as a spell caster though, he can't get armour.

Hey, and I do indeed like the list you've got going on up there now, well done! It should do the trick nicely! Yeah, I think it's a bit easier to summon a good unit of Zombies, and I would suggest as much.

I like the Dire Wolves as they act as nice flankers, and Ghouls can be pretty nasty too, what with those 2 Poisoned attacks each...not to mention they're skirmishers. Black Knights are simply awesome, and are a wonderful hammer unit.

Good luck with the Vampire Counts, Weapon! I might even look into starting an army of them up if I can come up with a list that inspires me enough....I've been thinking about Strigoi backed up by some Necromancers....

Weapon
26-02-2007, 22:55
Well, maybe it wouldn't hurt to give the Vamp Thrall something in the way of protection, maybe the Wristbands of Black Gold or something like that....as a spell caster though, he can't get armour.

Hey, and I do indeed like the list you've got going on up there now, well done! It should do the trick nicely! Yeah, I think it's a bit easier to summon a good unit of Zombies, and I would suggest as much.

I like the Dire Wolves as they act as nice flankers, and Ghouls can be pretty nasty too, what with those 2 Poisoned attacks each...not to mention they're skirmishers. Black Knights are simply awesome, and are a wonderful hammer unit.

Good luck with the Vampire Counts, Weapon! I might even look into starting an army of them up if I can come up with a list that inspires me enough....I've been thinking about Strigoi backed up by some Necromancers....

Ah, yeah, keep forgetting he's a spellcaster too!

I will probably grab some Ghouls, Wolves, and Graveguard after I got a core army like the one above. But for starters, that seems like a solid list, at least to me.

eleveninches
27-02-2007, 08:46
give the banner of the barrows to the black knights, and a sword of unholy power to the thrall, and you've got a solid list.

Weapon
27-02-2007, 22:28
give the banner of the barrows to the black knights, and a sword of unholy power to the thrall, and you've got a solid list.

Updated with banner of barrows, some tweaks. Leaving the Zombies for recursion at this point.

I've also been reconsidering the bloodline issue, maybe opting for a less magic, more offensive bloodline like the Blood Dragons to go along with my unit, but I really odn't know. I like the ability to get some zombies raised in the fleeing pattern of the units I would break.

Benji550
29-03-2007, 20:29
Stick with Necrachs if you ask me. They are good spell casters and you will be raising zombies by the plenty. If he is in a unit of Black Knights he doesn't need the armor and can cast spells while providing the kick to win combat for the Black Knights. Minimum unit size is 5 for the Knights.

Vicente von Carstein
02-04-2007, 15:07
I either take a blood dragon mostly because it would make the unit extremely powerful(and he gets plate armor on a bard nightmare witha sheild and a lance, 1+ armour, and str 7, 3 attacks) or the necrach

eleveninches
02-04-2007, 15:30
good list for 1000 points.

EvC
02-04-2007, 16:08
It's not the fact that he's a spellcaster that means he can't take magic armour, it's the fact he doesn't have the option to take armour. If you switch to Blood Dragons, the Thrall won't come with Plate Armour, you'll have to make do with buying him heavy armour.

I disagree with eleveninches on the BotB in this case- with only 5 attacks (Not even a champion!) it's simply not worth it, far better to have a Champion/ additional trooper and buy a few more rank and file for the points.

Only having three units is really dangerous, and I advise you to be realistic with your ideas of creating units behind enemy lines- remember the spell only has a range of 18" and must be put in place at least an inch from enemy models so unless you're bringing your Necromancers close to enemy lines in the first place they can't create new units behind enemy lines.

It's good when it does work though, my last opponent conceded solely because of the presence of 10 zombies that I raised behind his biggest unit that was in combat with some skeletons...