PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Online

Capslock
27-02-2007, 05:36
I apologise if this is the wrong place to post this. Please move this thread if it is misplaced. I'm mostly just posting my thought on the pre-alpha demo of the game and wondering what others' thoughts are.

So far the environment design is top-notch and gorgeous. The classes seem fairly balanced. At NY Comic-con my female hammerer went undefeated for some time but would consistently get beaten by goblin squigherders. The shamans and runesmiths need some working on but the melee classes seem to have really come together. It was funny, if you've followed the development and podcasts so far you know as much as the designers do because when I brought up some things from the design diaries they seem to be hearing it for the first time.
Regardless the game looks spot on and I'm hoping that entering the beta entry contest really helped my chances because it looks to be one of the next really big MMORPG's. It can't compete with WoW on the PVE front since that doesn't seem to be fleshed out yet. (I snuck into the player area, Dwarf quests are laid out pretty sratight forward and the "quest text" is very "dawi" with good descriptions and motivations for going through the PvE qiests, before a guide jumped in to yank me back to the PVP section). But the PVP side certainly seems to be an enaging and dynamic experience.

Mikhaila
28-02-2007, 14:59
I would hope that they do a lot more with PVE than with PVP. The warhammer world/enviorment is what I want to play in. Getting gangbanged by groups of ADD 12 year olds I can get in the current PVP slugfests.

THE KAPPTIN
28-02-2007, 19:05
PVP isn't about 12-year-olds, it's more about strategy I think. I'm pretty sure the game will be divided about 50/50 between PVP and PVE (at least I believe that's their current goal). It will be set up so that you can get through the game by playing only PVP or PVE, if you so choose.

A good portion of players will be much more interested in PVP than in PVE, as they (we) prefer beating human foes rather than NPC ones that could in theory have their difficulty level be completely arbitrary.

After reading this and checking out the January issue of the newsletter thing, I'm thinking I might actually have to buy this game when it comes out. I played WoW and that was a disaster, but maybe this will be a lot more fun.... still don't know if I can justify spending money on a game each month though. I could play WAR for a month.... or I could buy Ocarina of Time on the Virtual Console!

Looks like this topic should be in the "computer games" section, as I just saw one about DoW get moved there.

Arhalien
28-02-2007, 19:10
I'm very intrigud by this game. The screens I;ve seen look superb, and it's set in a world that I know a bit about. WOW I think is too carttony by far, and the bit i;ve tried of it (only the start so I can't really comment) seemed very boring. Quests were just:
Kill x enemies
Get y drops
Return to quest giver
Repeat ad nauseam.

The one thing have reservations about on this game is the monthly subscription; the lck of which is one of the main reasons I play Guild Wars (that and the fact that it's a great game :) and one of the main things putting me off WOW.