PDA

View Full Version : Marauder horde

samw
23-07-2005, 03:24
I bought the Liber Chaotica today and it's already working its dark magic on me! I love Crom as a character, and harbour an unfounded belief HE is the true everchosen (Archie's just a decoy :p ). In addition his master of undivided rule is worth is weigh in gold in a marauder heavy army.

Crom the Conquerer Chaos Armour; Shield; Sword; Axe; 230

Aspiring Champion of Chaos Chaos Armor; Undivided; Battle Standard Bearer; Banner of the Gods 230

Sorcerer of Chaos; Chaos Armor; ; Undivided; Level 2 Wizard; Power Familiar 170

Sorcerer of Chaos; Chaos Armor; ; Undivided; Level 2 Wizard; Dispel Scroll(x2) 170

Knights (Chosen) 5 ; Chaos Armour; Shield; Barded Chaos Steed; ; Standard Bearer; Champion; Musician; Undivided 275

Marauder Horsemen 5 ; Flail; Musician 81

Marauder Horsemen 5 ; Flail; Musician 81

Mauraders of Chaos 25 ; Light Armour; Standard Bearer; Champion; Musician; Shield 175

Mauraders of Chaos 25 ; Light Armour; Standard Bearer; Champion; Musician; Shield 175

Spawn of Chaos 60

Spawn of Chaos 60

Warhounds of Chaos 5 - 30

116 models (in a chaos army! :eek: )

7PD 5DD 2 scrolls

Anyway, this is an Archaon's Horde list. My intenion is to fix people in place with my three big infantry blocks, each with a character to make them leadership 8/9. This combined with the banner of the gods and a BSB should keep me solid as a dwarf. The unbreakable spawn help in this regard. The hounds and marauder horse can then flank, routing the enemy. A couple of units may be dispatched to take out war machines. The sorcerors have a respectable 7PD and 5DD, plus two scrolls, so they should be able to fend of enemy magic for a little while and cast some of their own. Finally, you may have noticed my points sink, the simply wonderful chosen knights. I love these guys, and my hope is that with 75 footsloggers, my opponent won't notice them until they smash him!

Thoughts, opinions, point switching suggestions are all most welcome, thank-you. :)

Xenageo
23-07-2005, 05:13
My intenion is to fix people in place with my three big infantry blocks, each with a character to make them leadership 8/9. This combined with the banner of the gods and a BSB should keep me solid as a dwarf.

Hm, don't mean to seem picky -- but I'm pretty sure (like 95%) that you can't use any characters LD but their own for stubborn units whether they are the general or whether they join the unit. Does the banner of the gods contradict this?

User Name
23-07-2005, 05:15
How many points is this army 1500 or 2000?

Your tactics seeme relitivly solid but I tihnk you lack enough potential killing power, I would try to add at least one chariot for each of your marauder units, just to add that little extra punch marauders cant provide if they want to live. You could always make them khorne or Tzeetch to add extra PD or DD

Some furies wouldnt go amiss in this army ether.

The baner of the gods dose contradict this because as long as the charicters are within 6 it makes them strbron as well.

samw
23-07-2005, 05:30
Alas I can't take furies in Archaon's Horde, but you're right on the banner of the god's rule. It makes the whole of any unit within range stubborn. So Croms unit will be stubborn LD9, and the other two on Ld 8 (sorceror in each). This is a 2000pt list (which is why I can take Crom). I suppose my killing power is very concentrated in the Chosen Knights, perhaps I should split this between two chariots?

User Name
23-07-2005, 05:38
You could also get 3 beastmen chariots but they only have s and t 4 compared to the mortals 5.

and get mark of slaanesh on the spawn to make them extra fast.

meowser
23-07-2005, 07:16
switch up the equipment on your maraurder units...
you can get 4 different weapon arrangements out of the box. (shield, flail, 2nd weapon, 2 handed weapon).. the s5 attacks or 2 attacks would help give your units some specialization

Kardon
23-07-2005, 16:12
always found handw and shield a better combo on these guys, since they die fast against high I and charging things, although i usually play elfs and skaven..anyway i like the list.

Darmort
23-07-2005, 16:18
Can you have Corm in Archaon's Horde? :?
I'd change to Crom's Horde if you're playing with Crom... :p

Your Marauders are fine, although I'd play normal Chaos, personally.
Drop the Knights. Just drop them. Without any support they're useless (and a target anyway).
With the points I'd get two small units of Marauders with Great Weapons and Champions, you should be able to get 2 of these at 12/13 strong. It also fits the fluff a lot more.

Marauders cannot use 2 Hand Weapons. Check your Chaos Army Book.

Norse Marauders in Dogs of War can, but they're not Chaos, and a lot more expensive (although they have Frenzy).

the_night_reaper
24-07-2005, 00:56
it's a nice list but I would switch up the equiptment on the marauders. maybe give one unit flails to give you a bit more killing power. You should not drop the chosen knights. They are probably the most powerful unit chaos has to offer and can do their job better than a couple of chariots or marauders with great weapon, not to mention much faster than either also. Someone said that you don't have support for hem so they're useless, well you have 4 units of warhounds, so I'm sure you can expend one or two hound units to act as shields for the knights.

And a bunch of marauders will not make your opponent forget about one of the most powerful calvalry units in the game.

Darmort
24-07-2005, 09:33
Yeah, but look at how much they cost for so few models, they're the biggest target out there these days. Even newbies know to hit Knights with their Cannons or Reaper first, :p
Besides, you could get 2 Chariots instead, and that's a lot more punch, believe me! Marauder Riders would be a good option, and it would tie in with this so called fluff that Archaon's Losing-So-Badly-At-The-Hands-Of-An-Orc-That-Should've-But-Didn't-Kill-Him-Like-He-Should.
I'd rather use Crom the Conquerers Horde, then Marauders have Undivided, :p Undivided is very usefull.

samw
25-07-2005, 00:14
The marauders get the re-roll pysch checks anyway because of crom being the general, that's why I took him! Switching from Archaon's horde would force me to pay for the command groups on the marauders, which would mean serious cutting! I am wavering on the knights though, but surely shielding them with hounds should suffice for the first 1/2 turns?

Darmort
25-07-2005, 18:03
Perhaps, if your opponent doesn't have a hill and a pair of Bolt Throwers/Cannon/Hand Gunners/Multiple Shoots, they MIGHT last to combat.
Also, Archaon's Horde isn't really that fluffy, compaired to Croms Conquerers, which are! :p
I'd prefer going for Full Command that costs something and no Knights, but that's me, ;)

mooze
09-10-2005, 14:01
great list! I might go for 3 beasty chariots as well instead of the ch. knights, but with your 4 puppy units and 2 mar. horse you can shield the knights just fine and keep up with them in order to pound on your opponent with multiple units.You might swap the 2 spawn for 1 ch. chariot since the spawn are a bit unreliable in their movement but overall that is a great list as is. I too love crom, he is worth his weight in gold in a marauder heavy army.

FLUEVOG
11-10-2005, 19:03
This is pretty much the exact list I was debating on starting, but opted for the Empire TVI instead (like the idea of Cannons). One of the reasons I balked was whether or not Crom is legal in most tournaments (thinking ahead).

Mine had a Chariot, Maruader Horsemen and only one Spawn. I also threw in a couple of 10 man Maruader 'detachments' armed with Flails and Greatweapons respectively.

Very interested in how this army fares, pls post updates and bat reps as you go along

Fluevog