PDA

View Full Version : Marienburg

Pages : [1] 2

ZeroTwentythree
27-02-2007, 14:04
Jumping into the painting log thing. Would that be a plog?

For years I’ve wanted to build a Marienburg army. I’d collected figures, then got rid of many of them after they sat in storage for years, but have finally decided I need a break from the Skaven and will put together at least 1500 +/- points of Marienburger deathmachine. (Mmmmm… marienburgers…)

ACHTUNG! I've removed my progress list and started to streamline it for my own convenience & sanity. If you want to peek at where I'm at in terms of painting troops...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmWnOHNZEk4TdGFnRGx6VWljcEtYbW5ERFkxT2pqQ kE

Basing:

I’m not sure what to do about basing, both in terms of materials & appearance. My skaven are on a mix of group bases and single bases, all made with basswood with magnetic bottoms. I’ve had mixed results with this as the wood tends to warp a little, and never seems to get as nice an edge as the store-bought bases. But on the other hand, I like having the magnets in terms of transport, and the group bases for quick set-up and removal of casualties.

I’m tempted to match the basing theme on the few that are already done (which matches my skaven), though I might change it around a little bit. I’m contemplating something with some tall reeds on a few of the bases, though, since it’s a port city, on a river, and near a marsh. Maybe a city basing theme, with cobblestones? I like that idea, but it would probably look odd on most gaming tables. I’m not opposed to something completely different.

Attached are a few pics of what I've started on so far, including a number of older figures. Still not sure what color to paint the wizards.

Any input is appreciated, as is critique & comments on the pics.

Caligula
28-02-2007, 06:53
You have a really great painting style, one in which I hope to achieve myself someday soon. Your style is very clean and very crisp, and the minis you've got there look amazing...and they're just the normal troops. If you have any advice on how to achieve such a clean painting style, please share!

With all the different coloured clothing and uniforms and such you're going to end up with, a good basing technique will be invaluable. You'll want something simple, yet striking and unique, to tie your army together and help make it look like a cohesive force. I'll think about what exactly that might be, and if I come up with anything I'll be sure to let you know!

Doing the whole mixed colour thing can be a rather dangerous prospect, usually ending up in the army looking really spectacular, vibrant, and pleasing or as a, to put it simply, a mess. I've seen examples of both, usually done with Brettonian armies. I don't think you have anything to worry about in this regard, as your painting is amazing, and what you have done already looks grand. I'll be keeping an eye on this one!

Zodiac
28-02-2007, 10:13
Wow , I already liked your giant, but it seems your flow of great ideas hasnt yet stopped!

I painted my handgunners in a dark red/khaki sort of scheme.. but yours look much better! Off to the "simple green" tub then :D
I really like the way you mixed all kinds of colours together.

And, a very good point is that you made ugly greatswords look good!
Kudos! x1000!

Crazy Harborc
01-03-2007, 02:50
Looks good so far. Well painted. I suggest you look into magnets that fit into/on the bottoms of GW's bases. Around here, I would go to hobby/craft stores or office supply stores. Indi gaming stores/hobbyshops. I don't use the magnet sheet metal basing/movement trays myself. My long time, old fart opponents do.;)
'

static grass
01-03-2007, 11:20
I love this landskneckt style! Why has no one else done this?

I am pretty sure that the DoW dwarfs are allowed spears though. My warhammer annual says so I am sure.

Nice concept and well executed!

Voronwe[MQ]
02-03-2007, 10:52
Very good painting - it's catching the feeling of Marienburg really well. I hope you're going to include Mordheim Marienburg models, since all Empire armies from a specific state or city should have some. ;)

Voronwe

Darknight
02-03-2007, 13:04
This is a very fine army and idea indeed - I considered something similar myself but never had the patience.

I think the general idea of the somewhat gaudy mercenary look is a good one. As for the short stuff, I think mixing them in with the rest of the units is a good one - Ogres would probably fight on their own, and so you should just do some units of those chaps without trying to fit them into other units.

Ogres in poofy northern European renaisance clothes! Shakespeare the Ogre! Man, good times.

Crazy Ivan
02-03-2007, 22:28
Shakespeare the Ogre!
"To eat or not to eat, that is the question" :p

Very nice painting! The landsknecht colours look really good. Adding other races will make the army look nicely varied, too.

Ornithoticus
03-03-2007, 00:09
nice work, keep it up

ZeroTwentythree
04-03-2007, 21:51
You have a really great painting style, one in which I hope to achieve myself someday soon. Your style is very clean and very crisp, and the minis you've got there look amazing...and they're just the normal troops. If you have any advice on how to achieve such a clean painting style, please share!

With all the different coloured clothing and uniforms and such you're going to end up with, a good basing technique will be invaluable. You'll want something simple, yet striking and unique, to tie your army together and help make it look like a cohesive force.

I'm thinking along the same lines for the basing. I think your comment re "simple" just set off the idea that I should also keep it very drab, so that it contrasts with the bright colors of the figures.

As far as advice: "paint a lot of figures." I've been doing it on and off for 20+/- years and have painted a lot of armies/figures on commission in addition to my own. I know I'm not anywhere in the top tier of single-figure painters, but from painting a lot and getting comfortable with particular techniques, styles, etc I've done a decent job getting to a point where I can paint rank & file figures to a pretty good standard.

And, a very good point is that you made ugly greatswords look good!
Kudos! x1000!

Thanks. I initially wasn't too fond of the old figures either, and I like the new ones a lot, but I think the old ones have grown on me. I'm not crazy about the fully armoured ones, but the one with the full helmet has become a favorite. I've got some of the new greatswords to mix in, as well as the newer command figures.

Looks good so far. Well painted. I suggest you look into magnets that fit into/on the bottoms of GW's bases.

I've got some big sheets of magnet left from a couple previous armies. I once traded some painting for a huge roll of sheet magnet. The problem I've found is that it doesn't look that great on the bases. I want to work out a way to transport the figures as well. My skaven army with magnet bases (stored in boxes with metal bottoms) has worked out OK, but I'm trying to come up with a better plan.

I am pretty sure that the DoW dwarfs are allowed spears though. My warhammer annual says so I am sure.

Nice concept and well executed!

Well, we can hold off on the "well executed" til we see a bit more of it and see how it works together. I've wanted to do a historical landsknecht army for a long time (and have a bunch of Foundry figures barely painted!) so this is my decision on an outlet for that. I'll get to use a WFB army more than a historical army, most likely.

I just looked at the PDF at GWUS. They list hand weapon, great weapon and crossbow for dwarf DoW. I have spears and handguns. :/

;1346563']I hope you're going to include Mordheim Marienburg models, since all Empire armies from a specific state or city should have some. ;)

Voronwe

Good idea! I just took a peek, I think I should get some of the Averlander figures too.

This is a very fine army and idea indeed - I considered something similar myself but never had the patience.

((snip))

Ogres in poofy northern European renaisance clothes! Shakespeare the Ogre! Man, good times.

I've got 3 of the old ogre figures. :D

As far as patience... My trick to painting the figures is that I will take a number of figures at a time and paint them in the same colors, but not neccessarily the same scheme. So it's somewhere between painting assembly-line style and painting single figures. It basically cuts down on switching colors so much. So I'll do something like grab 5 handgunners, a greatsword, and an artillery crew and paint them all with some sort of combination of blue and white. I might add one tiny detail of a different color on each figure to break it up further -- like the ribbons on their pants -- maybe one is red, one is yellow, etc. Sometimes I will leave one sleeve unpainted and go back and do that a completely different mix of colors when I do the next batch of figures. On the other hand, sometimes its a bit spontaneous and I will just sit and work on one figure until it's done. I hate metalic paints, and don't like using them on the same palette or rinsing them in the same water cup, so I usually wait until I have a bunch of figures and do it all at once.

I will have a couple more photos in the next day or two. I've been sick and haven't done much, nor have I had access to the internets. I painted a few figures, but also spent a bit of time on cleaning & assembling.

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them.

mrtn
05-03-2007, 19:08
... I've wanted to do a historical landsknecht army for a long time (and have a bunch of Foundry figures barely painted!) so this is my decision on an outlet for that. I'll get to use a WFB army more than a historical army, most likely.
I've thought about a landsknecht army too (the riot of colours, and not the GW two-colour schemes), will be nice to see your attempt. Good luck! :)

ZeroTwentythree
06-03-2007, 21:25
I only worked on a few figures in the past week. I was sick and injured my back as well, so I wasn't really up for much painting. A mere 4 dwarf spearmen, two greatswords, an an old metal mortar and cannon. I prepped a bunch of figures as well, though. I finished assembling the rest of the 16 spear from the old WFB set, 6 dwarf handunners, a bunch of artillery crew (3 dwarf and 10 human), the three ogres, and the first 8 swordsmen. (Included a few pics below, since I love the models.)

While digging through the figures I found my old halflings (the ones Marauder did). :D There's only 8 of them, and only a couple are in "Empire" looking attire, the rest look like farmer militia. Maybe I will use them for militia. This did get me thinking about trying to sculpt some renaissance garbed halflings at some point...

I mentioned my method of painting a group of mixed figures the same colors (mostly) perviously. Maybe the photos illustrate that. I only did six figures, but worked on 3 at a time -- three red & white, three blue & yellow. I'm throwing a little extra into many of the greatswords to make them stand out, so they get extra color, an odd colored sleeve or leg, etc.

I've got a general idea for the first 1000 points:

1 captain
2 x 10 handgunners
25 swordsmen
25 greatswords
1 mortar
3 ogre ironguts

I figure that will give me a fair balance. I still have about 27 points left. But I've got two big regiments, two small missile regiments, one artillery, and one small unit of "heavy hitters." The ogres are sort of taking the place of a small unit of knights. In game terms, the knights might be a better buy, I'm not sure. Points wise I can get 5 knights with command for about the same points. I'm not sure which is the better buy, but the ogres fit more in theme and I don't have any GW knights (and the ogres are crying out to be painted and put in an army.)

edit: Looks like my camera washed out the pics a bit... I'll have to check the aperture setting or whassit called and try to get better pics next time. Still figuring out the manual settings on the camera.

Boss_Salvage
06-03-2007, 21:32
Those dwarf spearmen are ace, and I like the armylist a lot. Possibly only thing missing is some magic defense of some kind, but then again my ogres do ok at 1000 with zero magic ...

Speaking of ogres, that third attached pic is some incredibly old school ogres, right? WOW :D

- Salvage

ZeroTwentythree
06-03-2007, 21:55
Yeah, my options are to swap out the captain for a mage, or decrease one of the regiments sizes and pick up a mage in addition to the captain.

But I like the idea of having a captain to lead the mercenaries, and I don't really want to trim any of the regiments too much. So for now I'm thinking of trying to go with no magic. I'd go with at least a mage in a 1500 or 2000 point force, though.

Well, also my skaven army is renown for having the grey seer blow himself up with miscasts in about 3/4 of all my games, so I'm really sick of magic anyway.

NakedFisherman
06-03-2007, 21:58
Awesome stuff, Thomas. I can't wait to see it on the table. :)

Hywel
06-03-2007, 23:34
Excellent models and lovely painting, it should become a pleasure to the eye.

25 greatswords is a princely unit even in double the point value! The tactical bore in me would suggest dropping 5 of them to get 10 free company (a detachment of 5 for each of your infantry units). But it's no biggy if you're happy as you are.

Good luck with this army, it's shaping up to be handsome indeed.

Crazy Harborc
07-03-2007, 20:05
I would prefer more armour than is usually worn by all the fluff and puffers in their wide brimed, plumed hats. Wellll.....then there's how lazy I've become at my painting;)

Voronwe[MQ]
07-03-2007, 20:10
The classic dwarf pikemen and cannon crewmen is a nice addition to the army, and the greatswords looks good. Averlanders will fit the bill in your army, I'm sure. :)

Voronwe

ZeroTwentythree
09-03-2007, 13:56
I was working on the ogres a bit last night and hadn't noticed something before. One of them has a rat sitting on the brim on the back of his hat. Nice little detail.

My camera's still washing the figures out a bit, still a bit of work to do on getting that right.

Darknight
09-03-2007, 15:03
Man, that Ogre looks sad. Poor guy - he needs some clowns or something. I've never seen a more miserable dude in my life.

Great painting, though.

ZeroTwentythree
09-03-2007, 15:12
Man, that Ogre looks sad. Poor guy - he needs some clowns or something. I've never seen a more miserable dude in my life.

((insert puffy empire clothing = clowns joke here))

Yeah, as I was painting him I was thinking he reminded me of Neil from The Young Ones.

http://www.cultv.co.uk/young.htm

mrtn
10-03-2007, 09:52
((insert puffy empire clothing = clowns joke here))

Yeah, as I was painting him I was thinking he reminded me of Neil from The Young Ones.

http://www.cultv.co.uk/young.htm

Heh, you're right. :)
Did you see the new Terry Pratchett "The Hogfather" TV film? Nigel Planer plays a sad wizard there, reminding me of this ogre too, with the beard and all. :)

Nice painting! :D

Zodiac
10-03-2007, 10:00
Rik mayall is in that series too?!
I love his role in "Bottom".. very comical. "Richard- Richard" :P

Back to topic: Nice clean colours on an old model.. thats got to earn you a compliment, good job!

ZeroTwentythree
16-03-2007, 13:32
Took a look at the army list again...

1 Captain @ 79 Pts
General; Great Weapon
Armour of Meteoric Iron

25 Swordsmen @ 210 Pts
Full command
7 Detachment - Halberdiers @ [35] Pts

20 Greatswords @ 270 Pts
Full command
8 Detachment - Free Company @ [40] Pts

3 Ironguts @ 144 Pts

10 Handgunners @ 110 Pts
Musician
Marksman w/Hochland Long Rifle

10 Handgunners @ 110 Pts
Musician
Marksman w/Hochland Long Rifle

1 Mortar @ 75 Pts

Casting Pool: 2
Dispel Pool: 2

Models in Army: 88

Total Army Cost: 998

That will give me 3 decent melee units, two small support units, and three missile units. Magic defense will rest on my base 2 dispel dice and 2 hochland rifles.

I'd like to try a few games sometime soon.

Since we had some nice weather this week, I took advantage of it by prepping a bunch more figures. This way I could let fresh air in to vent the glue fumes, and go outside to spray primer. I converted my first dwarven greatsword figure. :)

Updated list of my progress:

1 Captain -- (not even sure what figure to use...)
25 Swordsmen -- (only have about 1/2 the figures needed, unassembled)
7 Detachment - Halberdiers --- (unassembled)
20 Greatswords (5 done, 10 prepped)
8 Detachment - Free Company -- (complete)
3 Ironguts -- (2 done, 1 prepped)
10 Handgunners -- (complete)
10 Handgunners -- (9 HG done, marksman prepped)
1 Mortar -- (gun complete, crew prepped)

Ideally I need to get 1000 points done in about 4 weeks for a team tournament. Not sure I can pull it off at the rate I've been working lately! That's 50+ infantry to paint randomly technicolor puffy clothes. Maybe I need to set goals, like doing a minimum of 15 a week. I would hate to do it, but I may need to sink some points into something that's easier to paint and remove a bunch of figures for now. Like adding another hero and dropping the detachments. :/ That or stick with Skaven for one more tournament.

I'm hoping to get some actual painting time in this weekend. (Barring any holiday beer-related incapacitation.)

RE Television: Haven't seen "Hogfather," and have only seen one episode of "Bottom." I'm in the US and don't have cable or satellite TV, so I'm a bit limited in what I get to see.

Erestor
18-03-2007, 11:15
Good job. I like the style and colorus.

It almost inspires me to start my own Empire which has been kicking around since they were first released in the starter box.

ZeroTwentythree
19-03-2007, 18:48
I realized that I have some spearmen (and speardwarves) started, but none of the swordsmen in the previously posted list. So I'm considering switching to spear instead. Not sure. If I give them shields, they can still get the 4+ (hand weapon + light armour + shield) save, or use the two ranks of spears, depending on their opponents (and my mood), but I don't want to model shields on the spearmen. So I'm a bit lost right now. :/

So I painted some figures this weekend, including a couple of the plastic spearmen from the old set. Those figures paint up so easy (as did the handgunners.) I may have to look into getting more. I worked on some greatswords and a few miscellaneous figures as well, pictured below.

I finished the second ogre, the second hochland rifle champ, and a dwarf artillery crew. I experimented with some mixed paints, turquiose and orange. It was a little slow since I don't have bottled paints that I like in those colors, but I think I got the right mix and I like the way the colors look.

I'm not really happy with the colors I used on the ogre on the right. I like the guy on the left better. Still trying to figure out a color sceme for the ogre champion. It's hard to tell in the pic, but on the ogre on the right I used a technique described by someone else who's got an empire log here for painting the shaved heav and beard, and I'm happy with the way it looks IRL.

I painted one of the old "townfolk" figures (I think originally a Marauder miniature). He looks like a merchant, and I think I'll use him for a low level spellcaster at some point. Seems very Marienburg -- a merchant dabbling in magic.

Warwolt the skaven
19-03-2007, 18:58
Aw, I love you! Those old skool models, with such awesome paintslapping almost makes me wet :)

squiggoth
19-03-2007, 20:36
Shakespeare the Ogre!
"To eat or not to eat, that is the question" :p

"What's in a name? That, which we call an Ogre
By any other name would smell as sweet."

:p

Nice blog! Mariënburgers are one of my favourite armies but my own merchant horde went into stasis after painting 2.5 swordsman .... I couldn't find a good red-yellow-blue colour scheme.
Your idea of using all kinds of flamboyant colours works wonders and makes those old models shine .... altough the old Morisson Ogres are still as ugly today as they were back then, despite the landsknecht outfits. ;)
Don't you have the Imperial Ogre armed with the small cannon? Two of those make a fine unit of Mariënburger Leadbelchers.

ZeroTwentythree
19-03-2007, 20:51
I've got this guy half painted:
http://www.solegends.com/marauder/ms4ogrehero.htm

I'd like to get the rest of this set:
http://www.solegends.com/marauder/mm41ogres.htm
for a complete set. Were you talking about the guy in the upper right (with the gun)?

While I'm at it... I'm also trying to track down:
http://www.solegends.com/marauder/mm14dwfswivel.htm
and the top row:
http://www.solegends.com/marauder/mm14dwfswivel.htm

squiggoth
19-03-2007, 21:06
I'd like to get the rest of this set:
http://www.solegends.com/marauder/mm41ogres.htm
for a complete set. Were you talking about the guy in the upper right (with the gun)?

Yup, that's the one. :)
As a sidenote, the guy in the upper left (with the axe on his shoulder) is a very nice sculpt ... and he pops up on eBay quite regularly. The cannon-swinging guy is somewhat hard to find, but the guy in the middle with the flail and "proto-ironfist" and the Ogre Hero (http://www.solegends.com/marauder/ms4ogrehero.htm) are both fairly common.

Those Swivel Guns are very hard to find, but the wooden frame that the cannon rests upon looks a lot like the frame that comes with my Nipponese/Hobgoblin Fire Rocket Launchers (http://www.solegends.com/citc/c22niprocket.htm) - which is so simply designed that you can basically scratch-build one from matchsticks.
Add any tiny cannon/big gun on top, add an Imperial Dwarf, and call it a Marksman with a Hochland Longrifle. Looks old school enough, and nobody will be able to tell the difference. ;)

ZeroTwentythree
20-03-2007, 14:33
A few more figures finished. A couple more spearmen, another artillery crew, another human greatsword and the two pictured below. One is a dwarven greatsword, converted from the old (1980's?) Bugman's champion. I just cut off his tiny axe, filed, and pinned & glued a plastic greatsword in place. It's hard to see in the photo, but I even painted the eye sockets on teh skull & crossbones on his eye patch. :D The second figure it what I think I will use for my captain with great weapon and meteoric armour. I figured I would paint the armour red-orange, then give him a contrasting "background" of clothing. When I was painting the first feather in his hat (last thing to be painted) I realized I should paint it yellow, per Squiggoth's red-yellow-blue comment. So the second feather is yellow, but I was to lazy to repaint the white one.

I tweaked the camera settings a bit, the result is crisper photos, but it's still getting a little bit washed out. Maybe I'm using too much light? Maybe mixing light bulb types and the color correction feature on my camera isn't right? (1 ceiling light and two desk lamps with "Reveal" bulbs, and the camera set to color correct for incandescent light.) Eh. I'll keep trying some new things. ((edit: well... they look even brighter on the computer at work... bleh))

I shopped around on ebay for those ogre figures with no luck. I will keep looking.

I also looked on both ebay and amazon.com for "Sold Down the River," the Marienburg suppliment for WFRP. There was only one copy available... from a second hand merchant... for us$99!!! Screw that. I did download a cool Marienburg map from the WFRP site. I'm contemplating doing a watercolor of an embelished version of the map and somehow incorporating it into a display base for the army. I don't forsee doing that any time in the near future, but I sometimes get spontaneous about things like that, so who knows...

squiggoth
20-03-2007, 15:18
Yellow plumes for the win!

I bought Sold Down The River at my local game store last year. They might still have some copies left, WHFRP isn't very hot here in Nijmegen (despite half of our inner city's streets, squares and malls being called "Mariënburgersomething" :p).
I'll check it out next Thursday.

ZeroTwentythree
21-03-2007, 13:36
I keep re-thinking the 1000 point list. I can replace the swordsmen, greatswords and their detachments with two units of spear with halberd detachments, and a 5-man unit of pistoliers.

Thought I'd include a pic of the few old flagellants I've got. I wasn't planning on using them, but haven't been able to sell/trade them off so far, so I may end up putting them in a larger (2000/2250pts) army until I've got enough other stuff painted.

I'm going to try to get a 1000 point game at the "local" (30+ minute drive) store tonight, but I'm not sure I can find an opponent. There are no stores (AFAIK) in my part of town, or anywhere central in the city. They're all out in the extreme suburbs. This will/would be a first for me, as I've got this weird OCD thing about playing with unpainted figures, but my 1000 points isn't ready yet.

Warwolt the skaven
21-03-2007, 15:58
kick ass colors on those robes :D
any chance of a photo with all the stuff youve done?

mrtn
21-03-2007, 18:05
The flagellants look good, but I don't think they fit in the army. :)

As with a lot of WH stuff, you can find Sold Down the River on eMule.

dominic_carrillo
21-03-2007, 21:26
wow your style is very good. do you take commissions?

ZeroTwentythree
21-03-2007, 22:56
I agree, they don't go with the army, so they'll only be used as filler until I get enough painted.

I'll put up some pics of regiments & such as soon as I get enough painted. My spear and greatsword regiments look unimpressive right now with 10 guys each and no command.

Yes, I do a bit of commission work (working on a small job right now). I'd prefer to discuss it privately, anyone interested can send me a PM.

Warwolt the skaven
21-03-2007, 23:26
Aw common, can't you just show us how the project is comming along ^^

ZeroTwentythree
28-03-2007, 19:37
Very little painting done, though I also started working on bases for everything that's finished. I think I am going to match my usual bases, which are pictured below, except that I'm thinking of switching from the regular "flat" flock material to static grass.

Also, I'm getting rid of a bunch of assorted figures, and since a couple people had mentioned historical figures before, I thought I'd post a couple pics before they're gone (hopefully). They are a mix of Old Glory and Grenadier (which were bought by Nemo and now Mirliton) figures. The Grenadier figures were part of the Fighting Men line from their Fantasy Warriors game, but they look pretty dead on to late medieval western Europen figures.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/swhg01b.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/lds01b.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/brghg01b.jpg

I'm still hanging on to a bunch of Foundry landsknechts and gendarmes for now. I may work them in to the Marienburg army for games when I don't have to worry about who manufactured the figures. In fact, having the nice metal gendarmes, I'm not sure I feel the need to spend the money on the GW knights. I'll just have to lose out in those "GW figures only" games. :rolleyes:

I did get to play a bit. Not with the Empire, though. But I had a winning draw against a slayer army with my skaven. I've got another skaven game this weekend.

ZeroTwentythree
05-04-2007, 14:20
Someone requested a group progress shot a while back, here's the best I could do. Based most of the figures except the ogres and the characters. I'd like to do something special with the latter. I spend longer than I should have on the bases. The little red & orange "flowers" were mostly glued in place individually, with tweezers.

There are some other figures not pictured, including some militia (only 6-8 of them) and the previously posted flagellants which are not included. But, the muster so far is:

25 handgunners, two with hochland long-rifles.
11 greatswords
10 spear
4 archers
2 ogres
3 artillery crew with mortar and cannon (both old metal ones)
3 characters (1 with great-weapon, 1 with pistols, 1 merchant-mage)

I'm still a bit of a way off from even the first 1000 points.

I've also been distracted by the call of the Skaven lately. I'll be playing in a team tournament in a few weeks ( http://www.pittsburghironlegion.com ), and have also been getting a few practice games. I'm also looking at participating in a three round series of games at a semi-local store. ( http://www.recess.net ) I'm still thinking about the Marienburgers, though.

One of the things I've been mulling over is what to do about a flying hero. (YES, I know, I need to get my troops finished...) I've got the 6th ed. hero on a griffon, but I'd like to play a more practical hero on a pegasus... except I'm not fond of any of the pegasus models and would like to do something different. My thoughts have been leaning towards birds. I've got a really old great eagle, which could be cool looking. I've also got some spare bird wings, and may be able to sculpt a bird body. In either case, I'd like to paint up some sort of larger sea-bird, whether a gull or a kite or hawk or something else.

I had contemplated some other ideas, like either a mechanical Leonardo contraption or a small, winged boat, but I'm not sure I could get either to look right and remain small enough. (That did start my mind rolling on the idea of making an armoured ship for a steam tank, either rolling on the ground, with wheels, or flying just above the ground. Both of which sound more likely than a small one-man vessel.)

Lastly, I had considered simply using some other winged fantasy creature, like a small "drake." (The dragon, not the duck.) I have a really old GW Blue Dragon (a really skinny one), but I'm not sure it would look right with a rider. I also have a couple of the old jabberwock figures, too. In both cases, maybe they would be used without riders on the model. I guess I just really dislike pegasi.

Comments?

Crazy Harborc
06-04-2007, 01:20
Two good group photos. Details abound, crisp, clean, IMHO pro level minies.

Um.....IF you ever tire of using them. I'll let you dump them at my doorstep.:D

Airborne XO
06-04-2007, 19:35
Love all these old Marauder minis...makes me feel about 13 again!

Cheers, Hal

mousekiller
06-04-2007, 22:34
023: You have a really great painting style, and I love all those older minis. The only paintjobs that you can find of them are really not well done compared to today's standards, so it is really nice to see a quality job done on them.

Can't wait to see more from this list.

Gitt
07-04-2007, 17:43
You can still get the old marauder ogres on the UK online store, not sure about other countries though.

Nice work so far by the way :-)

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=301265&orignav=301116

ZeroTwentythree
09-04-2007, 17:07
023: You have a really great painting style, and I love all those older minis. The only paintjobs that you can find of them are really not well done compared to today's standards, so it is really nice to see a quality job done on them.

I think that's the case with a lot of the older figures. As many people have pointed out, that old War Alter looks great now that it's been updated with some new paint at GW.

You can still get the old marauder ogres on the UK online store, not sure about other countries though.

Oh wow. Yeah, but that's about us$20 each + overseas shipping. I like them, but I think I can wait to see if I can pick them up in a trade or through someone looking to get rid of their old figures.

Still, the ogres are a bargain compared to:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=COMP0202002&orignav=301116

ZeroTwentythree
18-04-2007, 16:33
Got a few more figures painted except the metalic bits and the bases. The light colors (mainly whites & yellows) seem to have gotten washed out in the photos. A shame, I was kind of pleased with the way the mage's staff came out. Actually, the GW purples I used seem really glossy as well, and have a bit of glare in the pic. :/

They are:

1 arty crew
8 spear
2 greatswords
1 mage

bringing the totals to..

25 handgunners, two with hochland long-rifles.
13 greatswords
18 spear
4 archers
2 ogres
4 artillery crew with mortar and cannon (both old metal ones)
4 characters (1 with great-weapon, 1 with pistols, 2 mages)

I want to start putting swordsmen together, and I want them to look like traditional sword & buckler men. I love the bucklers that come with the Mordheim/militia set, but I'm not sure how to go about getting enough of them. So I'm going to look into alternatives, like historicals. I believe OG has some, but I traded off all my OG historicals. :/ I wonder if they will sell some separately.

mrtn
18-04-2007, 19:29
Nice work!

I wouldn't mind bigger pictures, and neither would I mind if you could link to them with tags rather than as attachments you have to click (I'm [I]very lazy ;)).

mousekiller
19-04-2007, 10:58
Again a solid update. Nothing to really critique that you did not mention...

Love the barrel guy... probably my favorite of the bunch.

lparigi34
19-04-2007, 22:19
Nice... good Idea to have a Plog!

About your work, it is going to be a really nice army the one youll have when you finish this. I also see you moved away from the too-uniform-across-the-army color scheme, and I do like it, a lot.

As for my taste, just base the minis, not eventually, now. I've found amazing how good can a mini look with a couple of colors on it but a well done base and how unfinished they look, even if greatly painted but the base undone. After I learned this, the first thing I do when I paint my armies, after assembling, priming and base colors is the base itself, and I design it at the same time that I design the color scheme for my army.

How is the second wizard coming? Looked great in the first pic.

Waltok
19-04-2007, 22:29
Lovely minis!
I really like all the bright colours, exactly what I'd imagine a Marienburg army to look like.

ZeroTwentythree
02-05-2007, 19:00
Two of the figures I've worked on recently.

One is a dwarf greatsword conversion. It's an old Marauder handgunner. They come with a separate handgun with the hands cast on. This plugs into sockets at the wrists. I have a bunch of these, but I'm short two handguns. On the other hand, I want more dwarven greatswords (the other posted previously.) So I took an Empire militia greatsword with the arms on it, cut the arms at the wrist, then cut the two hands apart. I drilled a hole through the hands and into the base of the sword blade (I had to cut that off, too, so I could reposition it in relation to the hands) then pinned the whole thing together. I used greenstuff to fill in the sword handle between the hands. I'm not 100% happy with the way he's holding the sword, but his arms are cast attached to the body, so I was limited. (I'd prefer if his hands weren't so far apart.)

The second is the test model for my "Sea Elf" fast cav, representing the large sea elf community that is supposed to reside in Marienburg. I thought I'd try a blue-green and white color scheme for all of them, and I'm pretty happy with it. Again, I will use a DoW slot. Since they didn't add any "back of the book" lists in the new Empire book, and the old one was never really accepted as fully "official" anyway, this puts a bit of a strain on my army - I've got more DoW units I'd like to use than Rare slots. But I'm thinking I'll just rotate which DoW are used along with a basic "core" of empire troops.

Once again, the pics turned out a bit bright. It used to be that I couldn't get enough light, now they're all turning out over-bright.

Luthien
07-05-2007, 16:41
an elf!!! woooo :D
this log is really cool, makes me wanna start my own merchantile army. what list are you using Dow or empire ?

ZeroTwentythree
07-05-2007, 17:26
what list are you using Dow or empire ?

Yes.

;)

Right now the idea is to use the Empire list, something like this:

Core
Spearmen
Swordsmen
Handgunners

Special
Greatswords
Cannon/Mortar

Rare
DoW Ogres
DoW Light Horse (sea elves)

I've contemplated using a straight DoW list, but I've got a bunch of handgunners, no crossbowmen, and want to keep the empire/lansknecht look. I do have a bunch of Foundry landsknecht pikemen that I could actually use as DoW pike in games where I don't have to use GW figures. (Conversely, I can probably use them as spearmen with really long spears.)

I think unless I can pull off saying "these handunners that count as crossbows," I'm stuck with Empire. I don't know, anyone care to give me feedback on whether or not this would be acceptable? My gut feeling is that I'd prefer not using the "count as crossbow" option.

Wulf
08-05-2007, 11:36
It is a great army you've got going there! Exellent painting.

It warms my heart to see some of the older models you’ve used and how well they blend in with the more current range. Also, the weapon swaps you’ve made works wonders.

Being very interested in landsknechts myself and being a member of a landsknecht re-enactment group I very much like your non-uniform approach. It also of course ties in very well with a Marienburg (ie Landsknechts in a fantasy setting) army. And it is well executed too. It would be great to see some Foundry pike men in the future.

In particular I like the eclectic style of your army. Every man, dwarf or ogre who can hold his or her own in a fight and is willing to fight anyone for the right amount of gold coins is invited. It looks great and gives a very cool feel to the army. I would consider mixing the light cavalry as well by using different riders - but I have no problem with going with your idea of an elven contigent.

I would totally recommend using the Empire list over DoW. Handguns are very characteristic for the landsknechts (crossbows are more common with the swiss reisläufer). The Empire list is also better, being able to use the detachment rule to great advantage. Myself, I play Empire with my pikemen as spearmen with very looong spears (and no shields) and it has never caused me any problems. Sure, pikemen have better stats but that is a tradeoff I’m willing to take. Empire spearmen are dirt cheap! It is also in my opinion more of a natural "count as" compared to having handguns as crossbows. If I am not mistaken you could use Ogres from the Ogre Kingdom list as special choices in an Empire army thereby freeing one of the rare slots for another DoW entry if you like.

Keep it comming - and don't let them rat-things distract you! ;)

/Wulf

ZeroTwentythree
08-05-2007, 21:56
Thanks.

My opinions on which army and which troops to use are very similar to yours. I've contemplated using some pistoleers for human cavalry mercs. The sea elves are the one group I have considered as being "above" mingling with other races in units. I'm still working on what to do about halflings in the army. I want to mix some in, but they always look too tiny, especially the older figures.

The nice thing about the spearmen being cheap, as you pointed out, is that I can field twice as many as I would be able to if they were pikemen. Having just a few pikemen just looks wrong. That's one of my problems with the DoW list as well - pike armed troops are always shown in huge blocks - not the tiny little units you have to take in the DoW list.

Are there Ogres that count as special? I was assuming they are Rare. I don't actually have the Ogre book right now. It's one of those things I keep thinking about buying but always opt for more figures instead.

Warboss Alex
09-05-2007, 00:53
Hey Zero - your painting style rocks! Do you feel the crispness/brightness you achieve is down to using a white undercoat instead of the usual black? (newb question I know but we gotta start somewhere!)

Wulf
09-05-2007, 09:18
If I am not mistaken you could use Ogres from the Ogre Kingdom list as special choices in an Empire army thereby freeing one of the rare slots for another DoW entry if you like.

Turns out I was mistaken. Only as rare I'm afraid. Darn. :)

ZeroTwentythree
09-05-2007, 13:59
Hey Zero - your painting style rocks! Do you feel the crispness/brightness you achieve is down to using a white undercoat instead of the usual black? (newb question I know but we gotta start somewhere!)

Actually... I use a black undercoat. The rumored inability to get bright colors with a dark undercoat is misinformation spread by the Cult of the White Undercoat. ;)

There are a couple things that I do. One is that I'll frequently paint a darker shade of the real "base" color, which helps step the brighness up. So, for example, on those red areas, I paint a very very dark red, followed by a medium red that probably coveres 95% of the area covered by the darker color. (Basically, leave the shadows & cracks showing), and then layer up to the really bright colors.

The paints are also important. Alot of the brighter warm colors - reds, yellows, oranges - are Vallejo. I just switched to Vallejo for a lot the blues and the blue green on those figures as well. They get better coverage than alot of the other paints I had tried. The greens and purples are mostly a mix of really old and newer GW. Whites, blacks, and half the browns are craft store paints, except for the use of GW or Coat d'Arms (when I can get it) "Flesh Wash". The remainder of the browns are mostly Coat d'Arms and one or two Reaper paints.

Another thing -- and this is just a personal preference, but I feel it keeps the figures looking "bright" -- is that I don't generally mix white into the highlights of bold colors. I work my way from darker colors to the brightest bottled paint color I can find. The white dilutes and lightens the color so that it will look faded or pastel, IMHO. So I try to avoid that except on colors that I feel it will be OK (like I'll mix a little white in the very last extreme highlight of yellows, for example.)

Honestly, as much as I prefer black (and sometimes brown) primer, I think it depends on personal technique and what each person is comfortable with. Try them all. I've been painting a long time and used white for years before switching to black. (I tried grey as well, but that's the only one I think isn't worth bothering with. It has all the bad sides of both black and white, without the advantages.) Since I like to paint both from the "inside" of the figure "outward" (starting in the most recessed areas first) and I like to paint from a dark base up to highlights, black works better for me. I think if I jumped around more in the areas I painted and/or if I used more washes, white might have some sort of advantage. But others may disagree.

OK, enough rambling from me for now...

ZeroTwentythree
29-05-2007, 15:55
I haven't had much time to work on the Marienburg army, but I'm hoping to get some hardcore painting done soon, so I can field 1k points ASAP (Nemesis events?)

I think my spear champion is going to be the little guy attached below. (He's one of the Marauder halflings, from the same range as the dwarves, ogres, etc.) He's tiny, but so serious looking. Sadly the rest of the halflings from the line are a little more goofy looking. I might tuck a few in the back rank if I run out of dwarves and humans. Or maybe in with some militia. Maybe I'll make a little 8-strong halfling militia detachment. :D

Wulf
29-05-2007, 16:13
Very cool! Love the halfling.

I'm quite familiar with most of the marauder range but have never seen it before. It has alot of character. And it's very nice that they've made them so small. I like the mixed feel that spearman unit has.

I'd use the other ones aswell, as you mentioned, in ranks further back or in other units. The more varied races and models the better in my opinion. They go very wall together anyway through clothes etc.

Hope that you stay on target and keep expanding your Marienburg army. It will look great indeed when finished.

/Wulf

Warwolt the skaven
29-05-2007, 18:46
dear god thats some big 'eaded dwarves!

ZeroTwentythree
29-05-2007, 22:06
Yeah, they are a bit top-heavy. At least their hands aren't bigger than their torsos, like some of the other dwarves that have been done.

The halflings are shown here, in line art from the old WD ads:

http://www.solegends.com/marauder/mm62cit.htm

down at the bottom. IIRC, the blister came with two of each of the "troops" but only a single figure of the 4th and 5th in line. Or at least that's what I have. The human at the end is not part of the pack. So you bought a blister and got a unit of 10 halflings. Sandwich eating, nose picking halflings... :rolleyes: But I really liked the two single figures.

mrtn
30-05-2007, 17:42
Really nice work mate!

mousekiller
30-05-2007, 17:47
That is really cool to see a mixed unit like that, and you have tied them in nicely. Another great update. Can't wait to see this army fully arrayed on the battlefield.

ZeroTwentythree
08-10-2007, 13:48
An update?

Progress has been slow as I have been distracted by many other things right now, and my painting has been a bit un-focused. I have been painting, however, including a little bit of the Marienbug army. I also assembled & prepped a bunch of figures, and tracked down some elusive figures.

So first is a progress shot. Sort of.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/progoct08-a.jpg

Some of this I've shown before, some I haven't. I've also got some stuff still off the table, like another 25+/- swordsmen still not assembled, a half dozen more wizards, a few more artillery pieces, and some more spearmen (well, speardwarves).

Down to some (bad) close-ups...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/progoct08-b.jpg

Detachment of 5 bowmen. Not really useful, but I actually had these guys painted up for a Mordheim warband from way back, so I figured I may get some use out of them until I get the figures I would prefer to have painted up.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/progoct08-c.jpg

My spear unit is up to 28. I've got a pile more dwarven spear, so I may paint two more up to bring it to 30 figures. I really don't like the humans with their spears at 45-degrees. Maybe I will hunt down 8 replacements with their spears upright.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/progoct08-d.jpg

Detachment of 5 crossbow. Had two painted up preeviously, also for Mordheim. Just added the two empire-looking dwarves (hoping to find some more) and another plastic crossbowman to get the minimum detachment of 5. You can see my doodling on the sketch paper on the table for my battle standard design, based on various depictions of the city's symbol.

ZeroTwentythree
08-10-2007, 13:49
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/progoct08-e.jpg

50 swordsmen. Mainly human, a few dwarves and a halfling (hoping to find some more for a better mix.) I still have more to assemble for either another parent unit or a hand full of detachments.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/progoct08-f.jpg

Still haven't finished the ogres in the back. I assembled and started a halberd detachment. I thought I'd give the new figures a try. I hate them already. They are hard to rank up because the ridiculous feathers get in the way of the halberds, and I can't stand most of the faces and all the extra crap (hour glasses, skulls, bits of scrolls, etc.) on the figures - half of which I scraped off. Also, they're a bit mono-posed. On the plus side, I like their halberds a lot better than the old ones. In the foreground is a small militia detachment.

How I plan to proceede:

I'm going to assemble some more of the swordsmen for a couple of detachments, and pull together a few more greatswords. This should give me enough to field a semi-painted army of 2150, and try getting in a few games. This will be new territory for me -- normally I'm really strict about using painted armies, as I hate seeing unpainted lead/plastic on the table. But I think my defences are wearing down, as painted armies are (sadly) in the minority at the local store. But I will still be working on painting, and will probably use a semi-assembly line process for the swordsmen, whereby I paint 8+/- figures at a time with the same colors, then switch to 8 others with a different color scheme, etc. As much as I'd like to finish the specialty troops and move on to more characters, I'd like to get some of the core wrapped up ASAP.

cyrus
08-10-2007, 15:08
very nice. I love the bright colours. It's also fun to see the old marauder miniatures flagellants and ogre and some others as well...

Crazy Harborc
09-10-2007, 02:42
I like your thinking, the unit compositions. Hey, this old fart had not thought of mixing Dwarves into a unit with humies.....So how about a couple of elves too?

A thought about how to have DoW,HEAVY cav. I had a box of the plastic Empire knights. I also had some left over plastic Silverhelms as well as a couple of Britonnian knights. I came up with 12 unbarded plastic horses. The horses I painted in matching trappings. The lances I painted to match up except for two lances.

You can exchange heads....a little cutting and filing. A little arm exchanging can be done too (Replacement bits of armour picked up on the move). Some "hacking" to leave dents and cuts on helmets,. shields, wherever.

Oh shields......I used round ones for them all...painted to match.

Oh yeah remember those barded horses??? Get them ready.

Know how to get 10 unbarded plastic horses? Think plastic Empire Pistoliers/handgunners.

Hey....if you don't permanently glue the riders in the saddles, use tacky instead. It's great (does get weird after 5 or 6 years)...it goes weak on sticking.

Asuril
09-10-2007, 08:57
Your army looks fabulous. I love to see those old miniatures with some fresh paint on them. They're so full of character.

Can't wait to see more.

ZeroTwentythree
09-10-2007, 13:25
Obviously, I'm a fan of a lot of the older figures too. I figure this is a good way to mix in the best (or at least my favorites) from both the old and the new. I do have some more newer figures I haven't included yet, too. (And I plan on getting that new wizard kit...)

As far as knights/heavy cav, for now I'm thinking about leaving them out and using the ogres instead as a heavy unit. I've been wanting to stick with mainly infantry. I have mixed some elves in, but I'm using them as fast cav. I've also recently considered using some of the old humans as well as some elves on foot as duelists. Right now I'm facing the dilemma of wanting too many DoW mixed in with an Empire core. I really wish they had included variant lists in the new army books, and included the Marienburg variant that was in the 6th ed. book.

mrtn
09-10-2007, 21:31
One of my favourite Warseer painters is back with the brush! Nice!

Novogord_Vivendi
11-10-2007, 18:20
You can use those light cavalery and those ogres as your rare choices and those elves you did want to use as duellists, you can use those as greatswords(just a thought). Of the painting I can't say more, just very good and lovely stuff. You're not the only one who loves those classic models, I do to, but the problem is that they are rather expensive.

unwanted
12-10-2007, 00:15
Outstanding work!

I love all your painting, it's really great!

Wulf
13-10-2007, 16:35
Great to see that you're back on track. This is one of my favourite blogs on warseer - and a very cool and interesting army that you have got.
Its quite impressing to see it all together! And I think you have the right idea of painting the swordsmen in batches of similar colours and then mix it up afterwards.
And every time you make it so apparent how ell some of the older minis go together wit the new. Vey inspirational.
Keep up the good work!
/W

Anardakil
06-11-2007, 14:06
Great looking army. I love the mix of models :)

ZeroTwentythree
12-11-2007, 21:55
Thanks again guys.

I've been busy being distracted by some other projects, one of which sort-of relates to the Marienburg army. I've started a Warhammer Ancient Battles medieval army, specifically the Burgundian Ordonnance army.

For a little background as to how this historical army fits with my fantasy army...

Charles the Bold, last Valois duke of Burgundy ruled over Burgundian lands in both France and the Empire and other parts of Europe, including the Low Countries. He ruled in the late 15th century, and after his death his lands passed to Maximilian of Austria, who founded the lansknechts upon which the Empire army is roughly based.

At any rate, the point being that I will probably end up using some of the Burgundian figures in my Marienburg army, either as planned with the Empire army list, or switching to the DoW list since there will be alot of pike, crossbow and cavalry. (The coustilliers, in the first batch, as DoW light cavalry, for example.) However, I wanted to keep a separate plog for the strictly historical project, while not posting in both plogs. So there you have it. The historical plog is here:

http://warseer.com/forums/general-project-logs/112503-burgundian-ordonnance.html

I will be continuing to update this one as well. I've lost a bit of forward momentum as I'm looking for 50+ bucklers for the swordsmen before I can paint them -- and they are the biggest remaining chunk of my army to be painted.

Ideally I'd like to have the Marienburgers ready for the next campaign at the local store, which will be sometime after the end of the year.

ZeroTwentythree
28-12-2007, 14:21
Not much painting on the Marienburg army lately, but I recently picked up another box of militia and a box of knights. Also got and assembled a box of pistoliers. Haven't painted any of it, though. For some reason I got distracted by, among other things,building & painting an objective marker...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/tc02.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/tc01.jpg

And the next guy isn't really Marienburg, but Empire. He was actually painted a long time ago with the intent of trading or selling him, but I've never gone back and touched him up & finished him (still haven't). I dug him up over the weekend after someone at the local store mentioned he wanted to get one of these... :angel:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/ulr02.jpg

I thought I'd toss a pic of him here before I get rid of him, since he's Empire. (Even if he is one of those crude, dog loving barbarians from Middenheim...)

I am hoping to jump back into the army, since I plan on using the Marienburgers in the next local campaign, plus I just spotted an online campaign of some sort at http://www.warhammer-empire.com/

E-Dog
28-12-2007, 20:03
Great idea, and very nicley painted too. Love the use of color, rag-tag but unified.

Crazy Harborc
29-12-2007, 00:34
THAT is an EXCELLENT idea!!:) I like it very much. You just gave an old fart a great idea. I (re)discovered late this afternoon a in scale chest, I have extra shields as well as swords in and out of scabbards.

I am not too old to learn new tricks.:D

Harry
29-12-2007, 07:02
.....He was actually painted a long time ago with the intent of trading or selling him.....
I'll trade you some of the Marauder ogres your missing for him. :D

Wonderful army.
Loving the mixed units.
The Marauder dwarfs and the Perry's Empire are some of my favorite mini's.
Its great to see them used together mixed in with the newer stuff and all painted so well.

ZeroTwentythree
31-12-2007, 13:21
Browser crashed after I had been typing a while. :mad:

OK, the short version until I get more time: Here's two pics of stuff I worked on. The standard looks a bit bland and still needs some work, advice welcomed.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/gscmd02.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/gscmd01.jpg

Gekiganger
31-12-2007, 13:47
I like the standard, maybe a trim around the edge but I hate over flashy standards (saying that I'm not fond of the empire). Fantastic paintjob, plenty of variation on individuals but they still all look tied together.

ZeroTwentythree
31-12-2007, 15:56
The pics look much brighter than my (ancient) computer at home. :/

A border was one consideration.

Another is a motto or saying (on scrollwork? auf Deutsch?).

Another is maybe a subtle pattern on the red background (red on red, swirls or something else?)

Another is to break up the background color so it's not all red. Seemed like a good idea at the time but looks boring now that I've painted the bird there. :/

I'd also like to redo the hammer (with twin tailed comet) that the bird is stepping on. :evilgrin: Actually, I might remove it entirely, I'm not sure it works in the space I gave it. The bird itself is a bit too far off center (down too low, and too far to the right.) I don't really want to paint it again, though.

I plan on sticking with ocean/marine/sailing themes (mostly) for the army, so I came across the waterfowl idea while I was flipping through a book on heraldry for inspiration. My BSB will have the Marienburg mermaid. Other standards may have: ship, anchor, dolphin, seashells, trident, scales (merchants).

I'm considering trying to soften & bend some plasticard for some standards...

Ciaphas Cain
31-12-2007, 18:41
OMG, this project is really awesome!
Great work so far. Consider me subscribed.

Cheers

CC

deathskullork
01-01-2008, 02:10
That is how an empire army should look, nice one.

mrtn
01-01-2008, 13:34
I like the banner. And the rest. :)

Crazy Harborc
02-01-2008, 01:25
Good looking unit. Would be nice to have them as backup in a fight. I do like the banner too.;)

Finnblood
02-01-2008, 07:52
Ooh! After scrolling through this plog, I got a terrible urge to steal your idea - I've been wanting to buy those good old poofy, gaudy classics (especially classic 80's Dwarfs; gotta love the old Dwarf wizard), but never got around to do it (mostly because I can't be arsed to hunt down any rarities, not to mention dealing with the post) and I've always wanted to make an Empire army based on either Border Princes, Tilea, Estalia or Marienburg.

The army looks great and appealing and very full of character. :D
Always great to see such devotion to the hobby! ^^

ZeroTwentythree
02-01-2008, 19:34
I didn't actually have to go searching much for the old figures, except in my basement. They're some of those figures I always wanted to paint but never had the time or other projects kept me busy! Sadly there are a few figures I am missing and would still like to get. I've bid a couple times on eBay but they've always gone for more money than I care to spend.

Here's a few slightly blurry pics of some HE archers. I had a pack of shadow warriors I've been trying to get rid of and figured I could use some "sea elf" archers the same way I'm using reavers as fast cavalry (see a few pages back.)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/hearch1.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/hearch3.jpg

I finally managed to get enough bucklers for my swordsmen -- in a trade. I think they're from Old Glory, as I had some of the same ones already lying around, which I think came from their Hundred Years War range. 50 swordsmen have had their bucklers pinned and glued on and are primed. Just thought I'd show the first 10 that have been started for a idea of how they will look.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/swd01.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/swd02.jpg

This page is partly the inspiration for my decision to go with a sword & buckler look rather than the heater or hoplon type shields that come with the older state troops:

http://www.thearma.org/essays/SwordandBuckler.htm

JLEH
02-01-2008, 21:21
I love the use of vintage figures. Keep up the brilliant work!

Crazy Harborc
03-01-2008, 00:55
The good old days and the minies there of. I have a very few GW minies that actually came with a flat lump of lead for a base instead of the slotta style. Nothing like a "GW expert" pointing out "THAT is NOT a GW minies":eek: For a side bet....I'll pop one off their square plastic base to reveal the logo on the minie's bottom.:evilgrin:

mrtn
03-01-2008, 11:35
Nice, those sea elves should fit in well.

:)

Ciaphas Cain
03-01-2008, 20:14
50 (!) Swordsmen..brilliant. They gonna look great when painted to the same standard.
Bucklers are a splendid idea, I'll copy that.

Keep'em coming.

Cheers

CC

Drakemaster
04-01-2008, 12:41
Some lovely work as always. I love the flamboyant colours of this army and the mix of old and new miniatures, gives it a great variety while still looking like an army rather than a collection of individuals. Great stuff.

Liking the sea elf archers as well. I am a big fan of those models, far better than the new ones. For some reason the cloak on the far right one looks slightly rougher than the others, though it could well be caused by the photo. Are they going to be used in a mixed or an elf-only unit?

As for the banner, the swan looks great but doesn't seem to have left much space for a decorative border or scrolls. One idea would be to paint a diagonal or horizontal cross in a contrasting colour as part of the background, which would enable you jazz up the banner a little without repainting the swan...

ZeroTwentythree
04-01-2008, 12:54
50 (!) Swordsmen..brilliant.

50... for now. I still have limited experience fielding an Empire army, but there's a good chance I will bump that number up higher, making 2 parent units of 30 figures (instead of 25 as now) and I may end up with some swordsmen detachments (trying out halberds & militia initially.)

Liking the sea elf archers as well. I am a big fan of those models, far better than the new ones. For some reason the cloak on the far right one looks slightly rougher than the others, though it could well be caused by the photo. Are they going to be used in a mixed or an elf-only unit?

As for the banner, the swan looks great but doesn't seem to have left much space for a decorative border or scrolls. One idea would be to paint a diagonal or horizontal cross in a contrasting colour as part of the background, which would enable you jazz up the banner a little without repainting the swan...

I think you're right, the far right figure may not be as nice as the other two. I was trying to keep it a fairly dark blue, so there's less variation in shading/highlighting. I was initially going to use the archers in a mixed unit, but after putting them together with some human archers, I'm not sure about that. At least the dwarves & halflings have the same style clothes as the empire guys in the other units, so it ties them together. The elves are just so different... I may end up picking up another pack and using a small detachment of just elves and another of just humans.

As for the banner, I'm very indecisive and have been tempted to just repaint it. There isn't room for border work on the right, but there is on the left. I may put some sort of horizontal decorative line down the left, and vary the background color somehow. Or maybe not. Still indecisive. At least I've got 50+ swordsmen to paint while I figure it out.

Thanks again for the comments, guys.

Drakemaster
04-01-2008, 16:35
I think it would be a shame to completely redo the banner, the Swan looks really good and fits very well with the Marienburg theme. I'm not sure having a decorative something on the left but not the right would work either, I suspect it would make it look a bit odd/lopsided. I still reckon your best bet is just to add another colour to the background... a halved or quartered pattern, a cross, or something along those lines. Still, as you say, you have plenty of time to make up your mind...

Toschenko
04-01-2008, 22:07
What a great log, now I feel sorry (for myself :p) for having missed it for too long!

What can I say that everyone else hasn't already said? I love the idea and the theme of the army, as well as the neat painting. The character you're giving to the units is wonderful (I've always been a fan of non-uniformed ranks)

As for the banner, I'm very indecisive and have been tempted to just repaint it.

Maybe you can just try to add some details in the background, given that you have little space to work the subtle pattern you suggest could be the way (maybe some fleur-de-lys, lighter than the background red, or it would be too bretonnian :p?): but no, definitely don't repaint it.

Again, great painting

Toschenko

ZeroTwentythree
07-01-2008, 13:56
Here's a WIP shot of the first 10 swordsmen plus 2 of the greatswords I also need to finish, so I can illustrate how I am going to paint so many figures at a decent pace, but keep a great variety. For the first 10, I decided to paint the clothes red plus one other color, either white or yellow. The advantage to this is less switching between paints & mixing colors. As you can see, the way in which I combined the two main colors is different on each figure, and some have a third minor color added (ribbons, codpiece, etc.)

My next batch will probably be 10 blue ones, with one other color, 5 white & 5 yellow. After that I will probably do the same thing with green. Then probably 5 each of black + a 2nd color and 5 of purple + a 2nd color. Maybe turquiose + 2nd color and orange + 2nd after that?

I usually stick with the heraldic concept of combining colors and "metals" (argent & or) mostly just for asthetic reasons. But I may end up with some other combinations like black & blue or reg or orange & green. I'm not sure yet, I'll wait til I get my first 40 +/- finished. I'm pretty certain I will end up using 30 figures in the parent units, so I'll probably be doing at least 60 swordsmen, not 50 as I previously mentioned.

The figures in this pic are mostly done. Most of what remains are the black areas (mainly shoes & a couple hats), metal areas, and feathers. (Well, I have to do the bases, too...) Metals are the next step, and I hate painting them, so I have already started the flesh on the second batch of 10 figures. I'll probably do all the metals at once, or at least in larger batches.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/swd03.jpg

Novogord_Vivendi
08-01-2008, 07:31
They are looking fine, really fine.

Sharkbelly
08-01-2008, 20:23
Looking very nice so far. As a fellow Marienburg general, it's awesome to see someone else's rendition. Keep up the good work!

Whitesun
08-01-2008, 22:55
suscribed. nice work :)

ZeroTwentythree
10-01-2008, 18:23
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/gscmd03.jpg

I photoshopped* the pic of the standard bearer (and removed the rest). Maybe if I just add a simple black stripe?

*(Actually, I've never painted a figure in my life. I just photoshop them all. Everything in all the previous photos are just bare metal or plastic. ;) )

edit:

How about blue? I think I like black better.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/gscmd03bl.jpg

Toschenko
10-01-2008, 18:49
I like the black one. Good idea (and skills :D) with photoshop

Toschenko

E-Dog
10-01-2008, 21:08
I second that, the black looks good.

ZeroTwentythree
10-01-2008, 21:49
One more... black with gold...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/gscmd03bwg.jpg

Now that I see that, it makes the red look plain again, like it needs something. The first (plain) black stripe still looks the most balanced to me...

Crazy Harborc
10-01-2008, 22:06
Liked the blue stripe.........until I saw the last photo. Black wide one with two yellow narrow stripes is really nice. I have two versions of that metal banner bearer.

Now I "have" to get busy on their "plain blank" but painted banners.;)

E-Dog
10-01-2008, 22:13
I like the gold/red alot, and it seems fitting for greatswords to have elaborate banner.

Toschenko
10-01-2008, 22:22
Just to add something more to your indecision... nah, still the plain black one

Toschenko

Drakemaster
11-01-2008, 17:24
Aha, I knew all that banner needed was a bit of variation in the background. A big improvement. I would definitely go with the black stripe... like you, personally I think it looks fine without the yellow, but both look good. Not convinced so much by the blue.

mrtn
12-01-2008, 00:39
Out of those I think that the plain black is best.

:)

Saulot
14-01-2008, 08:01
Black and Gold for me. :)

Army's going along great 023. I love the whole Buckler idea! I wish I could rummage 50 pcs. myself!

ZeroTwentythree
14-01-2008, 12:59
I got 10 more swordsmen (blue & white and blue & yellow) to the point of the others. As before, I still need to do the metal bits and a little bit of black (mainly shoes & hats) and a few details. I've started on 8 more, which will be green plus a secondary color (mostly white or yellow again, maybe some black?)

I also painted the black stripe on the standard. He actually goes with the greatswords, but I thought I'd just toss him in with the swordsmen for the photo.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/swd05.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/swd06.jpg

Wulf
14-01-2008, 13:20
I finally managed to get enough bucklers for my swordsmen -- in a trade. I think they're from Old Glory, as I had some of the same ones already lying around, which I think came from their Hundred Years War range. 50 swordsmen have had their bucklers pinned and glued on and are primed. Just thought I'd show the first 10 that have been started for a idea of how they will look.

This page is partly the inspiration for my decision to go with a sword & buckler look rather than the heater or hoplon type shields that come with the older state troops:

Wonderful to have my favourite blog back! As I’ve said before I simply love your landsknecht/marienburg army with models of all shapes and sizes.

Great execution of the sword and buckler idea. I’ve never felt comfortable using the more medieval shaped shield that is supplied in the box. It gives to much of a “knight-feel” for me. This is a nice solution to the problem of sword & shield not being a very landsknecht armament on the field of battle. They all look great and when put together as units they will be spectacular. Are you planning on including guys of different races (empire dwarf or halflings perhaps?) to break the unit up a bit?

Keep it up!

/Wulf

ZeroTwentythree
14-01-2008, 17:25
I do plan on adding more dwarves & halflings, though I don't have very many. I mainly have the dwarf spearmen & handgunners. I have tossed around the idea of sculpting and then casting a few resin dwarves & halflings.

The landsknecht issue you mention is exactly what I was considering. I would love to field a huge army of pike, but that's not going to happen. (Yet. :D ) So bucklers for the swordsmen seemed like a good way to go. The other bonus to using bucklers is that the swordsmen are easy to rank up.

I posted a link to a page, referring to the sword & buckler. Here's a couple of the contemporary illustrations I was looking at for inspiration:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/SnB1.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/SnB2.jpg

E-Dog
16-01-2008, 17:11
They may have some old empire halflings at my local shop, pm me if your intrested.

Glorfindel
16-01-2008, 18:34
Keep up the work, I really like the Marienburger/VOC style and the vintage mini's :) . The paintjobs are quite awesome too. All together brilliant stuff !

Com. Ghost
21-01-2008, 21:01
A very nice army. I like the idea with bucklers for the swordsman very much. The same as the colourfull style to represent the forces of Marienburg.
You have a very nice standard for so much mminiatures.

Firebreather
22-01-2008, 02:21
Amazing, amazing work. I'm going to go back through all the pages here, and see if you divulge any of your paitning techniques. I'm in the process of painting up an Ostermark themed Empire army, and you seem to have the look nailed, even if you don't use their exact colours.

Again, they're stunning!

ZeroTwentythree
22-01-2008, 13:20
Thanks again for the comments, guys. I'm really trying to push myself to get these guys done, but I've been a bit short on time lately, and I've got a small commission I'm trying to work on as well.

Progress continues. Painted some swordsmen with various shades of green mixed with other colors, and a few purples mixed with other colors.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/swd07.jpg

I think that's about 32 swordsmen there, all about 90% complete.

Green_RangerAK-47
22-01-2008, 16:59
very nice, now on all of your colors do you give them a final inking or is that how they stand? because they really do look good

Wulf
22-01-2008, 17:19
Love the look of them all together! And I use the same method myself of painting several in the same colour at the same time and then mixing them up.

I posted a link to a page, referring to the sword & buckler. Here's a couple of the contemporary illustrations I was looking at for inspiration:

The Triumph of Maximillian is a great source of inspiration.
The other one looks like something from the Talhoffers guide?

Can't wait for more.

truthsayer
22-01-2008, 17:29
Loving the colours of all the models on here zerotwentythree!

the highlighting is top notch and although they are all different they still all come together and look coherent in their difference!

nice work indeed!

Death Korp
22-01-2008, 17:31
Beautiful free-hand on the banner, that looks almost as if it was real :)

The buckerlers are good, the actual bucklers themselves are a nice idea.

Keep it up :)

DK

ZeroTwentythree
23-01-2008, 14:11
The Triumph of Maximillian is a great source of inspiration.
The other one looks like something from the Talhoffers guide?

I don't know Tallhoffer, or rather I didn't until you mentioned it. So I looked him up and found even more (linking here so I can look it up again later.)

http://www.schielhau.org/main.html

What I'm really after, however, is Schilling's Chronicles, which seems almost impossible to find in either print or electronic versions. The only print version available costs a small fortune and is way beyond my means.

The buckerlers are good, the actual bucklers themselves are a nice idea.

Thanks. I would have preferred a pile of the bucklers that came with the Mordheim mercenaries, but they're a bit harder to get, especially in the quantities I need. But the Old Glory bucklers are a pretty good alternate.

Jimmytrout
23-01-2008, 16:29
I have some of the old dwarf, halfling & ogre figures in renaissance (Empire) clothing. I can either mix these in with regular human regiments to represent racially mixed mercenary units OR I can run some “counts as” units using DoW regiments, like dwarves and ogres. The main problem with this is equipment. The ogres might not be too bad, but the dwarves are equipped mainly equipped with spears & handguns, neither of which are included in the dwarven DoW entry. I’m not going to even consider using the halflings as Halfling spearmen. So I am leaning towards the former (mixed but count them all as humans.) The short guys should probably be near the front, though, eh?

ZeroTwentythree,

I just discovered this thread (being new to these forums), but I'm enjoying this blog immensely and will be following closely because I have an obsession with these same dwarves, ogres and halflings. I like most things vintage. I have both dwarves and DoW, but the fluff for both of them is similar to your Marienburg fluff: a rich trading city (in my case, it also has a university in the city (so my runesmiths are the old dwarf wizards/sages).

But I totally understand your problem, in gaming terms, of what to use some of these guys as. GW has written away from most of this equipment — pikes, light armor, pistols, lots and lots of halflings — so what does one do?

I like your solution of mixed units. It's a great idea and it looks great. I've gone the other route and I plan on using things in a "counts as" sort of way. My Marauder pikedwarves (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Jimmytrout/Warhammer/Dwarves/Pikemen/NewPikemen2.jpg) are going to be dwarves with great weapons. My Marauder MM15 Warriors (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Jimmytrout/Warhammer/Dwarves/New%20Projects/IMG_1813.jpg) will be Longbeards. There's a unit of norse dwarves who will be HW w/ Sh. Etcetera.

Anyway, it's really, really fun to see someone with a similar project.

Eagerly awaiting more,

Jeff

ZeroTwentythree
28-01-2008, 13:27
I just discovered this thread (being new to these forums), but I'm enjoying this blog immensely and will be following closely because I have an obsession with these same dwarves, ogres and halflings.

I checked out the photos you linked to -- great stuff! Do you have a gallery, or have you considered starting a log of your own? I'd love to see more.

I've got a love/hate with the vintage stuff. (Same as with the current ranges.) I love some of it, but others... not so much. But I've really been waiting like 15 years to paint these dwarves. At some point I'm going to strip & repaint my WE, which include the really old wardancers, Skarloc's archers, etc. so there will eventually be more vintage stuff, which I will mix with the current range of WE figures.

On to the new pics...

Here's a few attempts to mix up the swordsmen units a bit.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/swdcvt01.jpg

The first is one of the old Marauder handgunners, which came with separate hands. At some point I lost one of the guns, so I had this guy left over. I looked at the GW bitz catalog and they have the figures but not the hanndguns (which have the hands cast on -- the body has arms that end at sockets at the sleeves. They do have crossbows, which I don't remember from any of the Marauder ads or old catalogs, but that was a long time ago... So I used two hands from the plastic Empire swordsmen and pinned them in place. In the case of the buckler hand, I just drilled straight through the plastic hand so there is one continuous pin through the arm, hand and into the buckler. The photo shows the "standard" figure next to the conversion.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/swdcvt02.jpg

The second pic is the standard bearer. Most of the old dwarf spearmen I have came as part of a unit that was sold in a little plastic box. It was, I think, about 12 figures including the command (standard, musician, hero and champion) so I have way more command figures than I need. So this is a simple conversion swapping out the hand holding the standard for a plastic empire hand, pinned as the last figure was. Once again, the standard figure is shown next to the conversion.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/swdcvt03.jpg

Last is simply an old halfling to which I added a buckler. Sadly there is a shortage of Empire puffy-slashy halflings. Most of the older ones looked more like peasants and although some of the newer ones had a more landsknecht look, they are generally too large (dwarf sized) and too goofy (holding a chicken leg, picking their noses, etc.) for my tastes, andn tend to be armed with bows anyway.

jsmelquist
28-01-2008, 15:55
I wanna say I absolutely love your stuff! Makes me wanna start a project log for my Dwarfs and Vampires.. Looks to be great for motivation!

ZeroTwentythree
18-02-2008, 13:19
I've been working on figures for other people, so haven't got a whole lot of my own done in the past couple of weeks. What I did work on went slow, partially because I was doing a lot of different color schemes or variations, so there was less assembly-liney work going on. Also another conversion, which I am too lazy to photograph right now. Basically I cut the spear off one of the old school dwarf spearmen and replaced it with a greatsword from the Mordheim sprues.

I recently discovered that many of my favorite bits don't come in the milita box. I didn't realize they only included some of the sprues that were in the Mordheim set. This is distressing. The wavey-greatsword is one of those bits. The buckler is another. :/

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/loe01.jpg

I started Leonardo ages ago. Probably like 5+ years. I did his flsh & hair but then couldn't decide what to do about his clothes. I still haven't drawn anything in his sketchbook yet. The photo above looks a bit "flatter" than IRL. Honestly. I think I over-lit the photo.

My current project list, including only what I have already (except for the spearmen I am desperately seeking):

Red = Not Started Yet
Yellow = Work In Progress
Green = Completed

42 Swordsmen
8 Swordsmen
28 Swordsmen
9 Swordsdwarves
16 Spearmen
14 Spearmen (still need to find & buy!)
12 Speardwarves
18 Speardwarves

9 Militia Free Co.
9 Halfling Free Co.

9 Halbardiers

24 Handgunners
1 Dwarf Handguner
5 Dwarf Handguners
4 Dwarf Handgunners

8 Arhcers (5 human/3 sea elf)
6 Crossbow (4 human/2 dwarf)

17 Greatswords
8 Greatswords

8 Knights

5 Pistoliers

3 Cannons
2 Cannons
1 Mortar
1 Mortar/Cannon (unbuilt)
1 Helblaster
1 Helstorm (scratchbuild?)

5 Human Crew
1 Human Crew
9 Human Crew
4 Dwarf Crew
1 Dwarf Crew
8 Dwarf Crew

1 DoW Light Cav (Sea Elf)
4 DoW Light Cav (Sea Elf)
1 DoW Light Cav (Sea Elf)

2 Ironguts
1 Irongut

8 Birdmen of Catrazza

1 Hero, on foot
1 Hero, on foot, battle standard
1 Hero, mounted, horse
1 Hero, mounted, griffon

2 Wizards
12+ Wizards

Plus, on the drawing board is:

1 Warrior Priest of Mannan conversion
1 Hero on "pegasus" (not going to be an actual pegasus) conversion

I will probably try to get a few more knights so I will be able to field 2 units of 6.

I have also not included my Burgundians, who will fit right in with the Marienburgers, as long as I'm not playing somewhere that bans non-GW figures. In tha case, you can peek at my Burgundian plog and see the army I'm currently working on.

Chiron
18-02-2008, 13:37
Consider me signed up, I rather like Leonardo :)

ZeroTwentythree
28-02-2008, 20:29
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/cmd2c.jpg

Working on some command figures for the swordsmen. Trying to figure out how I want to do the banner on the standard bearer. I'd like to do some bent, wavy plasticard rather than paper, but I'm not sure how to attach it securely to the pole. I may end up having to cut the existing (metal) pole off, drill out the hand and use a plastic rod with plasticcard banner, then patch things up.

Hopefully more (significantly more) soon. Very soon.

Cad@veR
28-02-2008, 20:49
Just found your log my friend and I must say that you have the army I am trying to create now (check my log on my sig;))

Really great army you have achieved up to now, really love all those old school minis and you somehow achieved a uniformed feeling to your units even though you got all those urelated minis combined (god those Imperial Dwarves with the greatswords are just wonderful!)

Keep up!

odmiller
28-02-2008, 21:31
Beautiful army. As others have said, great use of little seen minis to create a really characterful army. Of course, your painting skills help.

Boss_Salvage
29-02-2008, 13:27
Happy to see you're still working on this army Zero, and I suppose I had forgotten just how good of a painter you are - Leonardo is very nice work :D

And that list of models is enormous! You have a points limit / list in mind, or just painting everything you want? Not complaining, means loads of models for me to look at either way!

- Salvage

ZeroTwentythree
29-02-2008, 13:58
Thanks guys.

The list is based on figures I've been collecting (for a long time obviously.) The one exception is the rocket launcher, which I'd like to scratch built for fun. (I've got an idea for a STank conversion as well, but for now I'm going to "just say no" to STanks.)

I was working on the armour for all the WIP swordsmen last night and thought I'd take a pic. I took a few extra pics of my work space while I was at it.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/DSCF6063.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/DSCF6066.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/DSCF6065.jpg

I've been collecting furniture & supplies for quite some time, just like I've been collecting miniatures. Most of it's second hand and old. I'm a bit of an architecture/furniture geek. So it's only with a bit of reluctance that I show pics of the mess (moved in to the house in summer, still haven't quite organized this room yet) including the classy milk-crate storage in the corner. (Next on the list is a cabinet with doors for that stuff.) But it gives an idea of the arrangement of my painting space.

I've recently put together a little work-space in the basement for larger/messier projects like terrain and the gaming table I'm eventually planning on building (2 piece locking table top to put on top of the dining room table, but store in the basement when not in use.)

mrtn
29-02-2008, 16:01
Those commanders look really nice. As to STanks it's just as well that you're saying no, seeing as it's the wrong country for them.

MF3000
01-03-2008, 08:02
Hey hut! We don't see you at warhammer-empire these days with these updates good sir!

But marvelous stuff nonetheless.

sj

ZeroTwentythree
03-03-2008, 13:37
Those commanders look really nice. As to STanks it's just as well that you're saying no, seeing as it's the wrong country for them.

Well, my concept would be to make an amphibious-looking armoured ship or ironclad (with wheels). But still, that's waaaaay down at the bottom of a long list of things to do.

Hey hut! We don't see you at warhammer-empire these days with these updates good sir!

I was thinking about starting a paint log there, but I kept thinking I would wait until I got a decent batch done... Maybe now is the time, if I get a chance later today.

I do still lurk there quite a bit, even when I don't have time to post/reply.

Finally finished a big chunk of swordsmen. In the pic are 42 figures, done except for the standard on the standard bearer. I still have some more swordsmen and command figures to finish, the current goal being 2 parent units of 25 (including command) plus 2 detachments of 9. The 8 figures to complete the 2 parent units are partially done. One detachment of 9 is prepped and primed. The second detachment is only partially assembled.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/swd21a.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/swd21b.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/swd21c.jpg

I also finished two more artillery crew that have been among the partially finished figures on my desk for ages now.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/artcrw02.jpg

Unfortunately some of the pics are slightly blurry this time.

Monsterzonk
03-03-2008, 14:35
These look really cool! I like your painting style...

Cheers!

mrtn
03-03-2008, 15:01
Sexy!
Did you use the armoured Middenheim arm as a buckler replacement? Smart.

ZeroTwentythree
03-03-2008, 15:59
Sexy!
Did you use the armoured Middenheim arm as a buckler replacement? Smart.

Yeah, I thought it would help expand the number of figures I could assemble before I needed to get desperate for bucklers again, and I really like the way it looks. There's about 5-7 guys like that in the group. I thought about putting a spike/blade on the end of a few of them. I may do that with some in the future.

Crazy Harborc
04-03-2008, 01:10
VERY nice looking minies. They could work well in a historical game or two.;) More photos of those guys, I will await.

I am almost shamed into going for a higher level on my painting level. I am lazy.;)

ZeroTwentythree
10-03-2008, 14:45
I had planned on getting a bunch of painting done this weekend due to the massive snowstorms. We got snowed all weekend, but I ended up spending time doing a bunch of other things around the house, exploring the frozen neighborhood with my dog, and a ton of shoveling snow.

In addition to the painted stuff in the pics, I assembled & primed another 9-man swordsman detachment, converted a broken 6th ed. handgunner into a crossbowman and cleaned up a DOW mounted hero to use a a mounted warrior priest of Manaan. Or a mounted hero. Not sure yet.

On to the pics...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/gs22a.jpg

5 more greatswords, bringing my completed total to 22. My present goal is to get a unit of 25 ready for the battlefield. The top (front) part of the pic is a bit blurry. I have two salvaged metal greatswords. I got them for almost nothing because they were missing their arms. I fixed this with plastic arms from the militia set. Also, second from the left is an old "Paladin" from when GW had figures of 4 or 5 "Fighters." I've got some more, but the rest look more bretonnian than empire. I suppose this shouldn't matter since Marienburg presumably gets bretonnian recruits, so maybe I will paint some of the others up. I'm trying to stick with the empire look, though. The other two (center and furthest right) are just plastic figures from the 5/6th ed. sets, the "middenheim" two-handed hammer arms with the actual hammer cut off and replaced by some greatswords that I think came from the mordhiem set.

I like the look of the armoured arms better, but these will all be back-rankers, so I'm not too worried.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/gs22b.jpg

Here's the unit so far. Only a few more guys and I'm done. For now.

In the next few pics, the new recruits will be modeling this season's trendiest terrain...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/hdg22a.jpg

Simple hedges. Green dish scrubber cut into strips & glued onto two-ply chipboard (from the art store, it's the cheap board that's sort of made up of the plulp from all the leftovers of other papers & boards, usually grey and pretty dense stuff.) Drybrushed 3 different greens, did the bases similar to the figures bases and the other terrain and future (and past) gaming table. Each is 4" long.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/bsmt.jpg

I previously posted my painting area. Here's the workshop I've started setting up in the basement.

mrtn
10-03-2008, 15:02
Nice work. :)
The flamberge (wavy sword) is indeed from the Mordheim accessory sprue.

E-Dog
10-03-2008, 15:28
Looking good, I like the addition of the halflings to the greatswords.

Workshop? Looks like enough room for a game table.

ZeroTwentythree
13-05-2008, 13:15
I've had very little time to work on my Marienburgers lately, but here's a few items..

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/mwp01.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/mwp02.jpg

First a DOW captain I'm using as a mounted warrior priest of Manaan. I like the figure, and like that he's simple but elegent looking. I can always use him as some other sort of hero (captain/mounted general) if I change my mind or convert a new WP.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/hrb01.jpg

A Helstorm.

ZeroTwentythree
13-05-2008, 13:17
A pair of conversions...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/fwp01.jpg

First is a a warrior priest of Manaan on foot. It's the legs from the hero on the old comand sprue, the armoured torso of a knight (I think), an armoured left arm from the Mordheim sprue, the halberd arm also from the Mordheim sprue, a 6th ed spearman sheild with the embossed portion cut & filed off, a head from the hairy sprue, cloak from the outriders sprue (arm carved out of it) and some bits of plasticart and florist wire for the trident head.

This was my first time trying to cut a weapon from plasticard. Consdiering the shape of a trident, it was a real pain, even considering that I tried to stick with something nsimple & angular. I put the wire (as cord - I'll add some knots with greenstuff) to help hide the joint between the shaft and the stabby-pokey bit. It doesn't look great, but I'm not sure what else to do. Any suggestions, feedback, etc. are appreciated. Let me know if you think it looks OK or not.

And lastly...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/cvstd01.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/cvstd02.jpg

A converted standard bearer, from one of the old metal halbardiers. He's the only one I've got and I've been considering a couple different conversions (mainly making him into a greatsword) but was suddenly inspired to try making a few banners from plasticard heated up over the stove, bent into shape and glued onto some plastic tube. (This is one of 3 - the best, IMHO.) So I simply cut off the halberd, fixed up the puffy sleeve where it met, drilled out the hand and then used the head as the top of the banner pole -- mainly because I was having trouble finding something else I liked at the moment. I hadn't noticed this IRL, but in that first pic it looks a little crooked. I'll have to try fixing that.

mrtn
13-05-2008, 14:05
Nice to see you active here again. I think it could be a good idea to file the trident "bottom"-corners rounder. I don't like the wire, how are you gonna catch a fish if you have more than a meter of rope drag on the trident?

Good work!

tookaki
13-05-2008, 21:39
Looking great, really brilliant work on the swordsman. Question, why do you prefer priming your minis white and then basing them with black? Is it some cool technique I should be in on?

ZeroTwentythree
14-05-2008, 00:56
Personal preference. I don't know of any black primers I like. As far as white primers, I actually like one of the easy-to-get Krylon primers at the hardware store.

Even when I previously used black primer, they never seemed to cover completely, so I always ended up using a black wash over them anyway.

Wulf
14-05-2008, 18:12
Good to see you doing this again. It looks great!

I like the choice of colours for both the lord and the Helstorm. Especialy the war machine looks so much better this way than the red/white version that GW has used.
I love the mini that you have used for your standard bearer. And he fits very good as a standard bearer. If I were you I’d lose the halberd top and go with a simple banner top instead.

Keep it up!

/M

E-Dog
14-05-2008, 21:09
Looking good, nice to see you back.

ZeroTwentythree
16-06-2008, 15:20
Finished the first 5 Sons of Manann knights:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/26a.jpg

I've got 6 more horses finished and riders started.

I've got about a month to get enough figures painted to play in the Buckeye Battles Indy GT

http://www.buckeyebattles.com/

I've already submitted my list, so I'm locked in. Roughly, I've still got to finish:

* 5 Knights
* 9 Archers
7 Swordsmen
1 Mounted Warrior Priest
5 Pistoliers
2 Infantry musicians
1 Infantry standard bearer
1 Helstorm Rocket Launcher
*3 HRL crew

The items marked * can probably be substituted with some already figures from my historical Burgundians if I'm desperate enough. (I'm also trying to finish 2250 pts of Burgundians for a Warhammer Ancients tournament two weeks later. :eek: )

Boss_Salvage
16-06-2008, 16:03
Nice knights Zero, love the blue armor. Good luck making that tournament, I'm sure you can knock that short list of stuff out in no time.

- Salvage

Monsterzonk
16-06-2008, 17:23
Interesting colour choice on the Knights, but certainly fitting! Brilliant painting too!

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

Wulf
16-06-2008, 17:35
Very nice!

I like the colours used on the knights. Very bold and also fitting with the water-theme of Manaan. Will you be adding shields to them? If so, will they be of that fiery red/orange or will you stick to more bluegreen?

I have great confidence in you making it to the tournament. For me that is often the only way to get things done. It is the perfect motivation to get big chunks of the painting done. I also tend to go back later and do touch ups if needed. And that is waay more fun than to do the basic stuff.

Keep it up!

/M

ZeroTwentythree
16-06-2008, 20:47
I'm probably going to leave the shields off. Maybe it's a bit of my interest in the related historical period showing through, but I think the shields look out of place on knights like this.

I've updated the list of stuff I need to finish -- I forgot about a few things. The pistoliers have been sitting on my desk forever. I put them together, but the seams between the two halves of the horses need a significant amount of greenstuff patching to hide them. That's a shame, because otherwise they're pretty nice models. But I've noticed some of the more recent (to me) plastic figures have needed some patching like that.

Also need to do one last standard, which I'd like to do really well. Ideally, I'd actually like to do two of them, one to replace a less impressive one I've already finished, but I don't see that happening in time for this tournament.

Wulf
17-06-2008, 12:54
I'm probably going to leave the shields off. Maybe it's a bit of my interest in the related historical period showing through, but I think the shields look out of place on knights like this.

I totaly agree. Also, from a pure aestetical/colour balance point of view, I think they look great as it is. I've left the shields of one of my knight units aswell. And no one has ever bugged me about it, not being WYSIWYG.

ZeroTwentythree
17-06-2008, 19:10
One of the two musicians and a WIP standard bearer. This is the converted halbardier I previously posted. I ended up putting a simple "cap" at the top. Below is my "rough draft" sketch of the general look of the banner. Mainly just blocking out the colors & shapes to see if I like it.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/26c.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/26d.jpg

Monsterzonk
17-06-2008, 19:15
Very nice! I really like the banner idea!

Cheers,

Wulf
18-06-2008, 10:11
Like the look of both of them. Good choice of colours. The standard bearer in particual has a very striking set of colurs. And the banner looks like it will be a good fit the your over all cololur theme. What unit will he be with?

Another thing. I realised I never commented on your Manaan warrior priest. I think it looks great! It is a very nice idea to go with something different than the Sigmarite priests and I think he will help to give your army that special feel/look that you're after. This guy - together with the knights - really helps with giving a theme to you army. I can imagine the trident being quite difficult to model but I really think that it looks great and there is no need to worry about it not being up to par with your other work. The rope also helps with giving it a nautical feel. Good idea with the large shield as well - as I guess you will be adding some freehand motif to it?

Will you put a banner with the knights? Most people tend to play without in small knight units such as this. But if you did put a standard bearer with them you could go with a small triden as banner top.

And yet another thing: is it to much of a give away to share your planned army list with us? Skip the magic items. I'm just interested to see your basic line up.

Cheers,

W

ZeroTwentythree
18-06-2008, 13:26
The standard bearer will be with swordsmen. At least for now. Once I get more units and standard bearers finished, I think he may go with spearmen since he's in a more static pose.

No standard in with the knights. Too risky to give away an extra 100 VP, and they will only charge in against either small units they can handle, or in coordination with a large infantry unit with ranks, standard, etc.

I ended up removing the rope from the trident. I will be putting some sort of symbol on the shield, either a trident, mermaid, squid... not sure yet. He's not in the army I need for the tournament, so he's been put on hold for the moment.

My army is more or less at the link below. I swapped out the crossbow detachment in favor of another archer detachment. I think that's about the only change.

http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=22992.0

ZeroTwentythree
23-06-2008, 14:00
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/27c.jpg

More or less finished the standard bearer over the weekend. I think the lights were a little too close when I took the photo. I was rushed though, trying to get it done before the new Venture Brothers came on TV. :-D

I think it might be interesting to add a face to the sun, but I'm good with what I've got for now and will try to finish everything else (for the upcoming GT) before going back with the detail. (I still have to go back and repeat the sun & scrolls on the back of the banner anyway.)

The top says "Marienburg" the bottom says "auf immer und ewig." I went with German for the Empire because, unfortunately, I don't know Dutch, which might have been more interesting to use for Marienburg. I like the idea of playing up the independence issue on my banners.

Also finished the second HRL. Didn't get a pic, I'll include it with the next batch.

E-Dog
23-06-2008, 15:09
Nice! I think a face on the sun would look great.

Toschenko
23-06-2008, 16:15
Top quality stuff, as always. I honestly wouldn't bother adding a face to the standard, it looks jolly good as it stands now, and I see a sun with a face more suitable for an ork banner than an imperial one.

The top says "Marienburg" the bottom says "auf immer und ewig."

Yeah, cool but... what does it mean :D?

Toschenko

Wulf
23-06-2008, 16:31
The unit - with that banner - really looks great. As I said before I like your use of strong colours.

I think it might be interesting to add a face to the sun, but I'm good with what I've got for now and will try to finish everything else (for the upcoming GT) before going back with the detail. (I still have to go back and repeat the sun & scrolls on the back of the banner anyway.)

Good thinking! It looks great as it is for now.

The top says "Marienburg" the bottom says "auf immer und ewig." I went with German for the Empire because, unfortunately, I don't know Dutch, which might have been more interesting to use for Marienburg. I like the idea of playing up the independence issue on my banners.

That is a great idea! I think you should take every opportunity to get that message across of Marienburg being fiercly independent. I’ve looked into that abit myself with my Nordlanders. The Elector count of Nordland rightfully being the Prince of Marienburg of course…. And it is only a matter of time and hard politics before we make it a reality! :p I’ve played with the Idea of naming my steamtank “the Prince of Marienburg” or “the Claimant of Marienburg”. (BTW: is that proper English?). But I’ve hesitated a bit as it might be to far fetched for most gamers to grasp.

Edit: oh, and doesn’t it mean something like “always and forever”?

Monsterzonk
23-06-2008, 16:57
Great banner! Personally, I wouldn't bother with a face for the sun. It really looks good as it is.

And Wulf's right: it does mean "always and forever".

Cheers,

ZeroTwentythree
23-06-2008, 19:21
That is a great idea! I think you should take every opportunity to get that message across of Marienburg being fiercly independent. I’ve looked into that abit myself with my Nordlanders. The Elector count of Nordland rightfully being the Prince of Marienburg of course…. And it is only a matter of time and hard politics before we make it a reality! :p I’ve played with the Idea of naming my steamtank “the Prince of Marienburg” or “the Claimant of Marienburg”. (BTW: is that proper English?). But I’ve hesitated a bit as it might be to far fetched for most gamers to grasp.

I think you should go for it. I think enough people I've gamed with know the Nordland/Marienburg history so that at least some people would appreciate it. Even I like the idea. (Everyone likes a good nemesis.)

Prince of Marienburg works well. Claimant of Marienburg makes sense in English, but has a slightly awkward sound (to me - others may disagree). Something like Heir of Marienburg or Heir to Marienburg might sound better than Claimant.

Or maybe "Kicked out of Marienburg." :evilgrin:

Edit: oh, and doesn’t it mean something like “always and forever”?

Monsterzonk got to it first, but yes it does.

mrtn
24-06-2008, 00:42
Top quality stuff, as always. I honestly wouldn't bother adding a face to the standard, it looks jolly good as it stands now, and I see a sun with a face more suitable for an ork banner than an imperial one.

I agree about the quality and about the face. :)

Crazy Harborc
24-06-2008, 01:24
Gee, does that mean there will not be a smilie face on that banner;)?

Years ago, I saw a Chaos Army that had all kinds of Happy Smilie faces on flags/banners. The guy had a 40k version of smilie faced banners. Decals on all the vehicles too.

lorcan
24-06-2008, 08:23
what a wonderful collection of old and new miniatures, painted to a very high standard, its been a pleasure to read through this plog. Keep up the great work.

Regards
Lorcan

ZeroTwentythree
07-07-2008, 14:10
Finished the pistoliers and the rest of the swordsmen. Everything I need for the Buckeye Battles GT this weekend is done except finishing the last bits on 6 knights and some archers.

Disaster struck last night when I clear-coated the recently finished figures, using a new can of clear-coat. A couple of the figures got the dreaded white fuzzy spray! It happened to me once before, and I've made sure to only spray in the appropriate weather conditions. So I'm not sure what this was, maybe just the bit of spray from the new can.

Anyway, it was my halfling swordsman and the pistolier on the left that got hit the worst. The trick I've learned for fixing this is to drown them in a heavy coat of clear coat, which has made them look a little glossier than normal. You can see this on the halfling, as it only happened on the back of the figure, which looks glossier than the front in the pic below. There is still some white fuzzy stuff on both figures, but I think I got them mostly covered. I might try a bit of gloss cleat coat then some more matte. What a pain. I don't have time to repaint them before the weekend.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/28a.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/28b.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/28c.jpg

Crazy Ivan
07-07-2008, 15:38
Looking good! I like the Pistoliers a lot, I actually had to look twice before I recognized them as the new plastics; they look really different in Marienburg colours. This is one of the best 'Empire' armies I've seen.

If you want, I'd be happy to translate any lines you need into Dutch (that being my native language and all...). "auf immer und ewig" would translate more or less to "voor altijd en eeuwig".

mrtn
07-07-2008, 23:05
To bad about the spray. I only varnish my minis by hand, I've heard too many stories about bad spray cans to risk anything. :)

They're looking good, as usual.

ZeroTwentythree
08-07-2008, 15:40
Thanks for the comments and translation.

I've got a love/hate relationship with the new pistolier figures.

At first I thought they were great, but after assembling & painting this first unit, I've got a couple complaints. First, they don't fit together well at some points. I had to scrape & green-stuff the joint between the two halves of most of the horses, straps & saddles. Second, although I initially thought they were OK, I'm not fond of the heads (much like the new state troop infantry.) In fact, on the next batch, I may just use the old state troop heads instead.

In general, though, I do like them. They're nice and dynamic, have lots of extra bits, and sculpting/casting issues aside, I think the horses are nice (if a bit large.)

Anardakil
08-07-2008, 17:39
Great pistoliers!

You think the horses are large? Hmm it's the knights horses which are tiny in my opinion. Looks like knights on ponies ^^

Nice halfling too :)

Wulf
09-07-2008, 10:05
In general, though, I do like them. They're nice and dynamic, have lots of extra bits, and sculpting/casting issues aside, I think the horses are nice (if a bit large.)

Your pistoliers look great! I use the older version – paired with some built from old spare plastics - myself but these look really good. Yours are the first pistoliers I’ve seen that are painted up in varied colours and I must say that it looks great and really gives them much more life than usual.
I totally agree on the size of the horses. It started with the bretonnians and now it has come to the Empire aswell…
So everything is now in place for the tournament? Can we get a group shot of the army you’ll bring?

Cheers,

Wulf

ZeroTwentythree
10-07-2008, 14:01
You think the horses are large? Hmm it's the knights horses which are tiny in my opinion. Looks like knights on ponies ^^

I totally agree on the size of the horses. It started with the bretonnians and now it has come to the Empire aswell…

I should clarify... I mainly just have a problem with the fact that the horses are large compared to the knights horses. I don't mind either size. Individually both horses look fine. I just think they look odd together.

So everything is now in place for the tournament? Can we get a group shot of the army you’ll bring?

Everything is pretty much done, the last bit is posted below (stuffy I already typed up last night -- no working computer at home.) No army shot right now, but I'm going to try taking a pic at the GT, since I'm bringing a camera and hoping to do some battle reports (which I'll post in the bat.rep. forum here)

The last nine archers are finished. Well, not quite, I still need to add a few details to the bases. These are Front Rank archers, and are also part of the Burgundian army I need to finish in another two weeks for a Warhammer Ancients tournament. (Busy Warhammer Summer!)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/29a.jpg

Also finished six more knights, one of which (the one without a crest, on the champion horse) will be acting as a mounted warrior priest until I get a suitable model.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/29b.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/29c.jpg

I was paranoid about the clearcoat after having issues the last time, so I think I applied it a little to heavy on these figures, giving them a very slight gloss even though its matte finish.

So that's it for the figures I need for the GT, about a day to spare, which I will enjoy relaxing with a nice dinner with my girlfriend before heading out for a WFB weekend.

Wulf
15-07-2008, 10:13
So? Did you survive the GT? I’m very curious to hear word – and see pictures- from your weekend.

Cheers,

Wulf

ZeroTwentythree
15-07-2008, 15:28
Went, survived, had fun, and did pretty well. This week is really busy, but I'm hoping to post some battle reports, results & photos of other armies in the batrep forum in a few days.

I did get a photo of my army between games. Not the best shot, but gives an idea of what I had.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/buckeye08/mbrg1.jpg

Wulf
16-07-2008, 11:53
That looks simply awesome! Big blocks of infantry lined up, that are well painted like yours, is a joy to look at. Well done! A good selection of other troops as well.
Where will you take it from here? I had some trouble getting myself motivated to continue pushing it once I reached the 2250 pts mark. But on the other hand adding an extra unit at a time is less daunting than having to paint an entire army.
I look forward to read your battle reports.

/W

snyggejygge
16-07-2008, 12:00
Seeing it all together makes you appreciate it even more.

ZeroTwentythree
16-07-2008, 16:22
Where will you take it from here? I had some trouble getting myself motivated to continue pushing it once I reached the 2250 pts mark. But on the other hand adding an extra unit at a time is less daunting than having to paint an entire army.

Yeah, the nice thing is that I've got enough to play now. But I do have more lined up.

Another unit of 25 swordsmen
Another unit of 25 spear-men/dwarves (low priority)
5 DoW Light Cavalry (started)
3 Ogres (almost done)
Warrior Priest(s) (more in-theme)
DoW Birdmen of Catrazza (super low priority)
Griffon & pegasus riders

I'd also like to finish some artillery crew & archers. The ones in the pic are "borrowed" from a historical (Burgundian) army that I need to get back to finishing as well.

And then some vague plans like maybe some converted & detailed heroes, maybe some themed conversions. Also a new display board. The one in the photo was borrowed from my Skaven.

I look forward to read your battle reports.

I look forward to having some spare time to write them. Unfortunately this week is turning out to be really busy. :(

skavenman
16-07-2008, 23:05
Grats for how you did at Buckeye Battles. I was there rocking my Skaven with the other slackers. You made the empire proud considering you were the only empire there.

ekxw
17-07-2008, 11:46
great work pal, very good painting skills
nice to see a good work, and some of those miniatures painted to that level.

unwanted
18-07-2008, 13:37
I think I once mentioned that I love this army, and I still do!

Griffonclaw
18-07-2008, 13:42
I really like the feel you created with this army, and I think you worked wonders mixing those lovely classic models in with newer plastics like those pistoliers.

Kudos!

ZeroTwentythree
16-09-2008, 14:34
Small update.

First off, a second objective marker to go with the one I previously posted...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/33a.jpg

I've added two more pistoliers to the five I already had. They get shot up so quickly, I'm going to try a slightly larger unit for a bit.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/33b.jpg

Layne in Spayne
17-09-2008, 12:34
Hmsk.

I think you'll find seven Pistoliers getting shot fairly quick also. I think all of us would benefit much muchly if you would paint up an entire second unit, or even you might do some Outriders. Absolutely nothing gets shot before Outriders. Then your Pistoliers might live another turn. Perhaps you could make use of some Humtsman meatshields as well, and it makes for a nice wacky conversion too. Also, a Core choice, thus to keep your Special choices nicely unruffled.

Count Sinister
17-09-2008, 19:28
What a beautiful army, ZeroTwentythree. Those pistoliers have to be some of the nicest painted Empire minis I've ever seen. The blue is so RICH! How did you do it?

Absolutely fantastic work.

ZeroTwentythree
24-09-2008, 13:45
Hmsk.
I think you'll find seven Pistoliers getting shot fairly quick also. I think all of us would benefit much muchly if you would paint up an entire second unit, or even you might do some Outriders. Absolutely nothing gets shot before Outriders. Then your Pistoliers might live another turn. Perhaps you could make use of some Humtsman meatshields as well, and it makes for a nice wacky conversion too. Also, a Core choice, thus to keep your Special choices nicely unruffled.

Yeah, I figure they'll probably still get shot up. But I'm an optimist. I'm at least hoping they can weather the smaller batches of shots better. I just need to be more careful with them. They seem to be the #1 priority target for most of my opponents.

What a beautiful army, ZeroTwentythree. Those pistoliers have to be some of the nicest painted Empire minis I've ever seen. The blue is so RICH! How did you do it?

The blue is just a series of layers using some different shades of Vallejo paints. Prussian blue is one of them, I think. And medium blue? Don't remember at the moment and the paints are at home.

More stuff! Little of it is Marienburg, though. First is an anvil commission...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/34a.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/34b.jpg

I've still got the forge to paint.

Next, a few more objective counters...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/34c.jpg

And a WIP Marienburg hero, borrowed from Averland. (He's Averland's elector, right? Or am I remembering wrong?)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/34d.jpg

Novogord_Vivendi
24-09-2008, 17:45
You got some wonderful painting 023, I really like it!

ZeroTwentythree
30-09-2008, 03:11
I finished Marius Captain General of Marienburg.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/35a.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/35b.jpg

Also a standard bearer for the unit of swordsmen I'm trying to finish in time for Marauders.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/35c.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/35d.jpg

I made the standard with plasticard & plastic tube, like on Imperial Forge's page (Is it down? I was going to post a link!)

Ideally I'd like to add something else, either a lion or some nautical blazon, or possibly just s simple cross of St. Andrew (like on landsknecht banners) But since I'm on a tight schedule to finish in time for the GT, I'm OK with this for now.

ZeroTwentythree
30-09-2008, 03:11
...and continuing the update...

So here's a few of above mentioned swordsmen I mentioned, along with one "swordsdwarf" who will be in a dedicated "swordsdwarf" detachment. Eventually when I finish painting all the figures, I will have a parent unit of "speardwarfs" with detachments of "swordsdwarfs" and "handgunnerdwarfs." :-D

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/35e.jpg

I still need to finish some details on the bases.

So, I've got less than 10 days left an still have 8 swordsmen half finished, and 10 more swordsmen about 20% finished. Doesn't seem like alot, but I've been moving slow lately, so I'm worried. And I also have a display board to build!

http://marauders-inc.com/

Novogord_Vivendi
30-09-2008, 08:07
Well the only thing I can say again 023, they look really nice. And I can only wish you good luck with the upcoming tournament.
And a small question, from what range is that dwarf?

huron
30-09-2008, 10:55
love the anvil of doom the runes are as there supposed to. the pistoliers are great.

ZeroTwentythree
30-09-2008, 13:53
The dwarf is one of the command figures from this regiment:

http://www.solegends.com/marauder/mb01dwarfs.htm

But in order to get enough spearmen, I ended up with a ton of extra command figures, so I've been putting them to other use and/or converting them. Except the flute player -- I have no idea what to do with those.

E-Dog
02-10-2008, 15:28
Looking good as usual. Glad to see you still at it.

Gunde
31-10-2008, 16:22
Have not been around much lately, but glad to see my favourite army is still getting additions. Keep it up!

About the flute-player, I hope you will find a use for it since I think its a great model and would probably fit in nicely in this army...

ZeroTwentythree
05-01-2009, 05:22
It occurs to me that I've not been updating the list at in the first post. I'll get to that soon.

In the meantime, here's a captasus conversion WIP I started working on...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/37a.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/37b.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/37c.jpg

lorcan
06-01-2009, 05:14
nice to see this blog still has life, This has got to be one of my favourite armies on warseer. Looking forward to seeing more updates.

Regards
Lorcan

Rodman49
06-01-2009, 07:04
The Captasus looks pretty good but for some reason I feel the rider should be leaning forward just a tad. BTW, what did you use to base him? I have that exact same Pegasus (a Bret player gave it to me) and was wondering how to get him to pose dynamically and not be in the way of enemy units when in BtB.

ZeroTwentythree
06-01-2009, 15:46
The base is cork. There are brass rods going through the cork and pinned into both the bottom of the pegasus feet and the plastic base. So the whole thing is held together.

I'm going to try to make the base look like rocks in water or swamp. I think.

I did lean the rider forward. I pinned his torso forward and filled it in with greenstuff. I used the pouches to help hide some of my less than perfect putty work.

The pose of the pegasus makes him look like he's leaning back even further, though. I think he looks OK in person.

ZeroTwentythree
12-08-2009, 01:25
Wow -- long time with no updates.

Not a big one, just a couple spur of the moment artillery pieces.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/38b.jpg

That's an oldschool Volleygun. I've never used one before, but figured since I was painting other artillery, I may as well do it too in case I want to try it out.

Also an oldschool metal mortar. Not as old as the old oldschool one I already had painted, which was the small one on a flat carriage with no wheels. I've also got one of the newer ones, made with the plastic kit. I think. Somewhere. I don't know, I never really use them.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/38a.jpg

I also painted these for my medievals, but thought I would post them here as well. A light Burgundian gun and an organ gun. Both a little more realistically scaled than the beasts above. They were taken from the same distance and the photos scaled the same, so you should be able to get an idea of the scale. Those are 40mm round bases they're on. The organ gun barrels are similar size to the Volley Gun. The light gun barrel is slightly larger, close to the size of the Bronzino Galloper Guns.

So, that brings my Empire artillery park up to a total of:

4 Cannons
3 Mortars
2 Rockets
1 Volley Gun

That doesn't include the medieval stuff, the GW Galloper Guns (recently picked up, still not painted,) the old "Empire" dwarf cannons and swivel guns, or the old GW Nippon rocket launcher & crew. I should be good on artillery for a while. :-D

Gargobot
12-08-2009, 02:36
So just went through your log, very nice painting. My favorites are the striking blue Knights of Manaan and your freehand banners, but everything is painted really well. Especially your skin and wood are very realistic.
Do you mind sharing how you painted the wood on those artillery pieces? I'd very much appreciate it. :)

ZeroTwentythree
12-08-2009, 15:54
The wood is just a basecoat of beastial brown, followed by a dry(ish) brush of a lighter brown (Coat d'Arms "Dun," I think) followed by a wash using the old GW Flesh Wash. That's all there was to it.

Wulf
12-08-2009, 20:33
Nice artillery! They all look good. The organ gun would look great as a "realistic" version of a helblaster now that they fire a maximum of three barells at the time.
Good to se this log up and running again - it is one of my favourites!

Crazy Harborc
13-08-2009, 00:25
Good looking artillery. That is the kind I like to aim at a very important target. I pick up my "lucky" artillery dice, roll them out after asking rudy for a dead on bullseye.....Of course I miss!! Hey, it did not blow up.;) THAT will happen the second time my artillery fires a round.:confused:

bullshiz20
13-08-2009, 20:56
great looking army! i really wish to have the skill that you hve one day.:)

ZeroTwentythree
28-08-2009, 00:41
Marienburg is still not forgotten. Here's a WIP shot of something I'm (very slowly) working on:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/39a.jpg

Crazy Harborc
29-08-2009, 00:28
It DOES look better than the usual War Wagon.....MUCH better.

Sigh, I can just see it now.....rolling quickly thru the heart of a village....young children running and screaming in terror as the driver cracks his whip as the horses and the wagon thunder through and over those little children.:evilgrin::evilgrin: Aaalllll part of the good clean fun of wargaming:D

ZeroTwentythree
25-09-2009, 04:24
It looks like I've forgotten to update this plog with a few things from the recent and more distant past. Either that or some pics disappeared. So to catch up a bit with some things that I've previously posted on my personal blog and probably at warhammer-empire.com here's some more pics...

Finished shots of that WIP captasus I previously posted:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/37g.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/37h.jpg

And the army display base for carting it around tournaments. This replaced the one shown in the pic a page or two back, which was made for my skaven army (hence the "chewed cardboard" look of the edges.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/36a.jpg

and a close up of the edge

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/36b.jpg

I will be at the Marauders Mayhem Indy GT (Dayton, OH) in a few weeks, so maybe I can get a pic of my army on this board. I will be taking a slightly different army list than I previously had been.

ZeroTwentythree
25-09-2009, 04:29
More pics. This was for a mystery miniature exchange we had at warhammer-empire.com. I based my conversion on two posts by my mystery recipient. One was in a thread where we all stated what we would be in an empire army and gave ourselves stats & rules. He was an artillery crewman (as he was an artillery man in the military in real life.) The other was a pic of the recipient, which I used for the basis of the conversion (or at least the head.)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/cod1a.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/cod2c.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/cod2b.jpg

ZeroTwentythree
25-09-2009, 04:32
...and on a related note, a bunch of us each sent a figure to represent our self to the guy who organized the mini-exchange. I was nominated as a musician for a unit, so here's my "self portrait"

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/soth1a.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/soth2a.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/soth2d.jpg

I left the base unfinished so the recipient could do it to match his existing figures.

I had originally intended to sculpt an olive the martini glass, but it was a royal pain in the ass, so I just pained one on the inside & outside of it. :D

ZeroTwentythree
25-09-2009, 04:36
So what's next?

I'm still working on the war altar. I've also started a plastic steam tank. Also under way are a couple more mages and an engineer.

I've got a bunch of other figures that have been primed and the flesh started (more swordsmen, handgunners etc.), plus some knights I want to convert, but I'm not certain how soon they will get done. I have a feeling that the imminent release of the Skaven book will distract me back to that army for a while. I'm also considering straying off into a DoW army, which will be posted here anyway, as it will fit with the Marienburg mercenary theme.

Wulf
25-09-2009, 08:47
Love the finished captasus! Great choice of colours and nice base aswell. The war altar will be cool when finished – what are your plans for the arch lector?

I guess you are in the same situation as I am with a playable army but still some projects on the go – before you can feel satisfied with the selection. It’s tough to keep the momentum up as there are so many other projects that demand attention. I just might start a skaven army – not a little inspired by your skaven force. Or continue my Imperial Guard. Or finish my Marines. Or Warriors of Chaos. Anyhow – I just hope we get to see more of the Marienburg. It is a great army and it is always nice to look at your progress on this blog.

ZeroTwentythree
25-09-2009, 13:47
I do have a playable army, plus some options available. The War Altar & STank are just two "extras."

I do like the idea of being able to play some larger games once in a while. So I'm still interested in expanding the army.

I have enough infantry left for two more swordsmen units plus detachments, so I'm considering using that as the basis for a small Nordland army. I can either use it for running Marienburg vs. Nordland games/scenarios at conventions & club game days, or combine them for one really large Empire force for big games.

In addtion to the WFB stuff, though, I've still got medievals & Romans to paint. The medievals are in a similar situation, I have plenty of figures for my Burgundian army, but would like to expand it & paint more so I can field Wars of the Roses English, Low Countries and maybe Ordonnance French. I've got enough Germans & Gauls to play WAB, but would like to finish a Roman army.

So yes, similar to you... I have too many projects. :D

bob_the_small
25-09-2009, 21:31
Fantastic painting, I love the bright colours...

Indreth
21-10-2009, 22:27
I love the Paladin on Pegasus! Damn good conversion...
You have a big talent in painting, keep it up.
Kind regards

ZeroTwentythree
22-10-2009, 02:28
Thanks!

I've been posting photos and battle reports from last weekend's Marauders Mayhem indy GT on my blog:

http://zerotwentythree.blogspot.com/

Should have the rest posted by the weekend.

Shortbus
22-10-2009, 05:11
Beautiful work!

Lt Dougheim
26-10-2009, 22:13
Absolutely love the old school models. Your painting is quite impressive. Quite frankly this is one of my favorite armies.

ZeroTwentythree
18-12-2009, 16:19
Everyone seems to put pictures of their pets in their plog. So I bring you:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/minis/sasha01.jpg

My Shepherd/Husky, Sasha. I believe it is a Ral Partha (IWM) figure. A bit on the large size. Not exactly right, but the best figure out of a small mountain of dog miniatures I've collected in the process of trying to find the best one. She's mounted on a 20x40 base so she can fit next to my self portrait figure in an infantry unit. :D

galeadou
18-12-2009, 16:39
ahhh.
old empire characters are awesome.
very good paintjob

Wulf
18-12-2009, 19:12
Very nice to see some additions to this great thread again. A great paintjob. The colours look realistic. Any plans for further additions to the army soonish?
/W

ZeroTwentythree
18-12-2009, 21:16
Funny things is, I'm actually more interested in playing my Skaven right now (go figure) but I have no interest in painting anything for the army. Even the great new models I bought. But I have been wanting to get back to the Empire figures. I'm considering buying some of the new Artizan landsknechts here:

http://www.artizandesigns.com/prod.php?prod=1739

but want to wait until after the holidays to buy anything. I've got a stock-pile of around 100 of the old plastic Empire state troops, though, and have been considering converting some of them to a unit of pike (or pike/"spear") men. I've been slowly working on an Engineer, a couple of mounted wizards and have started a plastic steam tank.

But I've been distracted by historicals (mainly Romans) and commissions lately.

I did recently paint some landsknechts/Swiss in Nordland colors for a friend, though!

http://paintmachine.blogspot.com/

Wulf
19-12-2009, 11:16
Wow, those artizan landsknechts look really good! Do you know how they (Artizan models in general and those landsknechts in particular) would match up in scale to GW old plastic state troops? They are said to be 28mm but are a bit less 'heroic' from what I can tell. If you get a box please get a size comparison up.

Those Nordlanders look really good aswell. It is obviously a colour scheme that lies close to heart for me. :)

ZeroTwentythree
19-12-2009, 16:55
Someone posted some pictures comparing them with a bunch of other figures here:

http://www.frothersunite.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23759&start=10

Mr.chair
19-12-2009, 17:31
This is quite the lovely army. Every little bit is eye catching and detailed.

Crazy Harborc
20-12-2009, 02:20
Thanks for the link to the comparision minies. I got an added bonus....a big LoL because the one poster there thinks some historical minies are a "knockoff" of GW's minies. What a hoot:D.

ZeroTwentythree
20-12-2009, 15:19
Thanks for the link to the comparision minies. I got an added bonus....a big LoL because the one poster there thinks some historical minies are a "knockoff" of GW's minies. What a hoot:D.

I think that was someone being sarcastic about GW's IP fixation. ;)

I've started cleaning up a bag of Old Glory landsknecht pikemen (PIL-01) and I'm about to make some pikes for them. I'm quite impressed. OG has quite a bit of variation in quality. Some of their figures can be hideous. But the landsknechts are very nice so far. I've previously painted some of the dopplesoldner figures, which were decent. These pikemen look even better. Hopefully I will have some pics to show in the near future (though might not be until after the holidays.) In the meantime, here's the OLD pic of the dopplesoldner I just mentioned:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/ComRefs/lds01b.jpg

I think I'm not fond of some of the poses above. But the pikemen are all good. (How far wrong can you go with pikemen, eh?)

Crazy Harborc
20-12-2009, 22:34
Um....here's hoping there will be more photos to come.:) I have wanted units of pikes and have gotten a fair number of them in the last few years. Musketeers too.

For the last couple of three months my old fart regulars and I are into 1644 ECW rules by Rick Priestley. We REALLY enjoy the rules/game. We are slowly adding "correct" minies to the mix.

I do want to try using WAB's version of ECW rules. No big hurry, just a want to sometime or other.

We WILL be expanding into 30 Years War battles using Priestley's rules since there are army lists in the 1644 rulebook.;)

tancrede
21-12-2009, 06:01
Nice work here, as always.
If you want to add some variety to your pikemen, juste take a look at the last Artizan Design miniatures : they just released a batch of landsknecht !

ZeroTwentythree
30-01-2010, 06:54
The plog is still around!

I'm gearing up for the online summer campaign at Warhamer-Empire.com (http://www.warhammer-empire.com/) called "Treachery and Greed." So I've started looking at some of the Marienburg/Empire/DoW figures again. So expect more updates in the near future.

In a short burst of inspiration, I finally finished the small unit of old mercenary ogres that I apparently started over three years ago. :eek:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/41a.jpg

Wulf
30-01-2010, 11:19
A great addition to one of my favourite blogs!

I'm a great fan of those ogre figures and your paintjob has really made them justice. Love your muted red, green and blue in particullar. Also good job on the bases. The faces are also very good.

Keep it up!

/W

Crazy Harborc
30-01-2010, 19:34
Three fine looking potential recruiters of fighters to um...free up possessions from dust filled hiding places. To revitalize the economy as it were.

Mean looking threesome, good painting results.....More please sir.;)

ZeroTwentythree
15-02-2010, 00:31
If you check out the front page of Warhammer Empire at warhammer-empire.com (http://www.warhammer-empire.com/) there is an article (with pictures) I did comparing various manufacturers of handgunner and pike (or spear) figures in the first Campaign newsletter.

The whole upcoming campaign is worth looking into, if you ask me. Last year's Crisis in Marienburg was great.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
16-02-2010, 21:07
Nice army you are collecting there, and it looks pretty impressive to.

Keep up the great work

Cheers,
G

ZeroTwentythree
10-04-2010, 20:37
I've been working on a diverse variety of stuff, including this...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/42-stank.jpg

I assembled it a while ago and have been wanting to get it painted up. So here's the start of the project!

Qooky
10-04-2010, 21:47
Props for your Steamtank, it's blue and not unoriginal Metal!

mousekiller
11-04-2010, 07:56
Haven't checked in with you for a long time mate...

Got to tell you, the dog is awesome.

Layne in Spayne
11-04-2010, 11:18
Right, but where's the yellow and red?

ZeroTwentythree
13-04-2010, 04:47
Right, but where's the yellow and red?

That will be part of the "mural" that I will paint on the sides of the STank. :D

I got in more of a converty mood, though I did work on the STank a bit...

More WIP on the Imperial Armoured Company. I've previously mentioned making "inserts" for the war wagon, so that I can swap out its roll as a War Alter, War Wagon (under various versions of the rules) or, in this case, a Non-Steam Tank. So it's equipped with a cannon, an engineer with his repeater, and his intern with a blunderbuss (counts as the steam gun.)

The two crew will be glued to the floor of the final, removable insert. I considered putting an armoured roof on it, but I'm not certain I really want to do that.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/42-02.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/42-03.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/42-04.jpg

Next I'd like to work on the WAlter insert. I've got a giant sea shell for a background, a couple banners, a platform and then I just need to convert a "High Priest" (counts as arch lector) of Manann.

But really, I'd like to paint this stuff up first.

I also still need to paint a "mural" on the actual STank model. The engineer for that is also in progress... still trying to figure out what to do with his arms. Also need to work on the base.

mrtn
13-04-2010, 12:06
Great idea with those inserts. :)

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
13-04-2010, 19:24
I like the battlewagon,

cheers,
G

Crazy Harborc
15-04-2010, 04:11
Those two models are looking realllll good so far. I look forward to more update photos. Sayeee....will there be some happy faced or even mean faced smilies on that tank mural?? Just a thought.

mousekiller
16-04-2010, 21:21
Great additions mate, and a good use of some extra bits.

The True Mooseman
16-04-2010, 21:32
Yay War Wagon! I love the concept, I love the model, and I love the way you're doing yours. Keep it up!

ZeroTwentythree
20-04-2010, 04:16
More updates!

I've been dying to work on this stuff some more, but really haven't had the time lately.

The War Wagon non-Steam Tank is done except for the second crewman I'd like to add. The "stock" STank is done except the hull. I want to smooth out the blue on the hull a bit, and then paint a mural on both sides. I'm working on a couple of ideas (on paper) for some fantasy nautical themes.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/43-01.jpg

Here's a shot of the War Wagon insert removed...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/43-02.jpg

They're at least painted enough where I can put them on the table and not feel guilty about using "unpainted" stuff. ;)

Crazy Harborc
21-04-2010, 20:22
Mannn.....IF the Empire's war wagon and steam tank worked as well as your's look....I would want them.

ZeroTwentyThree...THOSE really, really look good, very good sir.

Jormi_Boced
21-04-2010, 22:27
Very nice plog. I can't wait to see more. I love the idea of Marienburg!