PDA

View Full Version : Tiberian Sun Anyone?

Bigs
23-07-2005, 07:07
Yeah, I was just wondering if anyone still plays this old but classic game (IMO). I still play on a regular basis and was just looking to see if anyone else does these days.

Arnizipal
23-07-2005, 10:51
For some reason the game won't allow me to fight opponents over a LAN, so I haven't palyed it in ages. I might reinstall it though.
Does it work under XP?

WLBjork
23-07-2005, 12:25
I've tried recently, and couldn't get it to work under XP.

Further more, I doubt that EA games are even remotely bothered about updating it to work with XP.

Worst thing that ever happened, Westwood getting eaten by EA.

Strikerkc
23-07-2005, 13:00
I've installed and run it under XP, although only for a very brief time (read: started the first mission, saw graphics and decided to play Red Alert 2). Only issue was it seemed kind of on the fast side.

MidnightResistance
26-07-2005, 10:44
Tiberian sun is an awesome game.
It's just a shame that NOD totally pwn once they get the cyborg commando out

Strikerkc
26-07-2005, 14:57
Hmmm, game play wise I could find very little that could deal at all with a bunch of jugernoughts suported by wolverines.

MidnightResistance
26-07-2005, 15:06
Orca Bombers pwn everything..unless you go all out anti-aircraft...or there are ion storms

boogle
28-07-2005, 00:09
i liked the fact Michael Biehn was in it more than anything else

Frodo34x
28-07-2005, 13:44
Red Alert 2 is a much much better game IMO.

neXus6
28-07-2005, 14:47
RA2 is a better game, but some of the stuff in Tib Sun is just great, it's nice having another "far future" one. I brought myself up on a diet of Dune 2 and playing C&C and Tib Sun are a natural progression from that. The Red Alert's are a bit different, nice piece of history changing.
I'd love to see the GDI NOD storyline done in a RA2 style, but what with progession and people wanting "better graphics" it's not going to happen. :(

On top of which I lent my Tib Sun to a person I knew, this was years and years ago, when he gave it back a few months later I was the proud owner of half a CD case with a huge crack down what was left and a NOD disc covered in crud...that's it, no GDI disc... :rolleyes:

WLBjork
28-07-2005, 16:56
Nothing like fiddling with the rules.ini either, like putting artillery rate of fire to 0.000001s between shots or something similarly daft either (hey, it's the best way to alter the terrain :D)

TenTailedCat
28-07-2005, 18:14
I hated the hammy acting in Tib Sun, I much prefered the briefings from the RA and original C&C in which the characters break the fourth wall and talk to you as if you were there.

All in all though the whole genre is getting really tired, Red Alert 2 was especially dissapointing with 2D graphics and no innovation whatsoever. I won't be buying any further C&C games unless they have something genuinely new and interesting to offer.

The pestilent 1
29-07-2005, 00:28
Westwood went belly-up after Yuris revenge, so we shall never see Tiberian Twilight (which they had just started making :cries: )

i personally loved CABAL. such hate!
and the ending for NOD (in firestorm) such possibilities :(

Arnizipal
29-07-2005, 01:54
Westwood went belly-up after Yuris revenge, so we shall never see Tiberian Twilight (which they had just started making :cries: )

They didn't go belly-up, they were swallowed whole by the company-eating giant that is EA.
It's a fate worse than death I hear :eek:

The pestilent 1
29-07-2005, 02:07
the entire development team quit and made their own company :D
no C&C though :cries:
and generals doesnt count.

BorisGT
29-07-2005, 05:19
The only reason I like TS more than RA2 is because of the gates.

Though, using mods on Yuri's Revenge is the only way I play now.

Delicious Soy
30-07-2005, 05:00
The only reason I like TS more than RA2 is because of the gates. That was a rather strange omission from RA2, not to mentiona damn annoying one.

BorisGT
30-07-2005, 06:13
There really was no justification for their removal. I realize the two game lines followed different routes in C&C lore, though gates should be the ubiquitous wall ad-ins we've come to know and love.

Frodo34x
30-07-2005, 10:41
That's a very good point. Still, I can't live without my dolphins :p

BorisGT
30-07-2005, 18:02
That's a very good point. Still, I can't live without my dolphins :p

I was always a fan of the squid, personally. More amusing to watch than Flipper shooting waves at someone.

warlordgrubnatz
04-08-2005, 20:28
TS is amazing. but is still love the first command and conquer

Arnizipal
04-08-2005, 23:15
TS is amazing. but is still love the first command and conquer
Yeah, you gotta love a game that let's you blow a world famous landmark (of your choosing) when finishing it. :evilgrin:

BorisGT
04-08-2005, 23:38
I remember the first time I beat the NOD missions in C&C. Oh boy, did I reload my gamesave seconds before 'Mission Accomplished' a few dozen times to see those thigns explode again and again.