PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid Kill Teams

Trusty
23-07-2005, 08:04
How do you create a story for your nid kill team, I have just started making one and I can't think of any way to start the story. :confused:

Mojaco
23-07-2005, 08:24
Once upon a ttime....

And then just run from there. You're welcome.

But seriously, you could start off by letting the killteam be cut off from their hivefleet, and then the guy with the hive node (an abandoned mutation but some still serve... or something) took control. They now move to start a genestealer cult in the hope that a passing hive fleet can't refuse and comes by, getting them back in the influence of the hive mind. Just like the Borg striving to get back in the comfort of the greater knowledge.

El_Machinae
23-07-2005, 17:25
You could also start with the story of a normal person, who become infected, and then has to struggle while losing his personality.

With the horror of knowing what he's becoming, he has to decide to turn himself in or hide what he is, knowing he will become a monster.

ryng_sting
23-07-2005, 20:54
Btw, what happened to the Space Marine Hive Mind Librarians? We saw the concept art on portent. Have they been abandoned?

Mojaco
23-07-2005, 21:48
No, as far as I know that was a picture of Tigurius that was a bit over the edge. They showed a similar design route for Cassius, where he was first a Tyranid-orientated Chaplain, then a Tyranid-killing madman and then something in between. I think that pic was no more then Tigurius extreme.

mirakel_jocke
25-07-2005, 11:03
Well you could always say that they are a little "spy" force that droves ahead of the hive fleet to gather information and stuff like that!

Or you can say that they have been cut off from the rest of the hive and try to find contact with it!

There are plenty of ideas even for a 'nid player!

/Mirakel_Jocke

Commander Dante
27-07-2005, 03:51
I think haveing BackGrounds for specific Nids is against the army in general

Tyranids are bred for the soul purpose of exterminating all life. Tyranids are reletabily Mindless beings that are being controlled by the hive mind with out it nids are just like any other beast.

So here is a realistic Back Story: they go to infest a world with their xenos filth because the hive mind said so..

but it is all up to you to decide not mine

b4d0m3n
27-07-2005, 05:38
I think haveing BackGrounds for specific Nids is against the army in general

Tyranids are bred for the soul purpose of exterminating all life. Tyranids are reletabily Mindless beings that are being controlled by the hive mind with out it nids are just like any other beast.

So here is a realistic Back Story: they go to infest a world with their xenos filth because the hive mind said so..

but it is all up to you to decide not mine

Yeah, that's damn creative. That is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. It's Kill-Team for fsck's sake. Background is the main focus. And Tyranids aren't simply mindless killers, there is a whole load of wonderful, creative material to draw from.

Mojaco
27-07-2005, 07:00
Easy tiger. No reason to get mad. The man is right, technically they are not much more then killers and devourers of worlds. Creative it is not, but I wouldn't want someone to be creative and come up with Space Marine controlled Tyranids (someone used that explenation to aloow an alliance between his UM and Tyranids....)

It's the genestealer cult that allows for plotlines, so I'd go from there.

Kiro
27-07-2005, 08:15
Well, you could always claim that the Kill-Team is a "new" breed of Tyranid, designed for covert, high-risk missions, that a horde could never accomplish. Their mission, should they choose to accept it, is to perform their missions with astounding success so that theHive Mind creates new organisms of the same calibre :p

b4d0m3n
27-07-2005, 09:11
Easy tiger. No reason to get mad. The man is right, technically they are not much more then killers and devourers of worlds. Creative it is not, but I wouldn't want someone to be creative and come up with Space Marine controlled Tyranids (someone used that explenation to aloow an alliance between his UM and Tyranids....)

It's the genestealer cult that allows for plotlines, so I'd go from there.

I wasn't mad, merely stating how stupid that statement was. 'The man' is not right. Some people may be happy to play nids like murder machines, but the background itself implies a more malign intellect than simple animalistic rage. Your example is flawed. Marine-controlled Tyranids are improbable with the fluff as presented as there is no precedent. There is, however, more than enough evidence of intelligent tyranid organisms (Genestealers, other hybrids and recently, Zoats).

Kiro
27-07-2005, 11:59
Ugh, please, no mention of the Z word!

b4d0m3n
27-07-2005, 13:38
Ugh, please, no mention of the Z word!

Whether you like it or not, Zoats were a piece of the fluff. Now, sure it's changed since the wacky cartoony days of RT, but I personally think they're quite cool concepts. They could be developed further, giving Tyranids another dimension in their modern incarnation.

Kaaijer
27-07-2005, 14:26
I too will opt for a Genestealer-orientated Team.

The general idea of genetic infiltration into a paranoid society gives enough hooks to create excellent storylines for games.
The bugs themselves could be personalised by exotic biomorphs, and maybe even visual remains of the genetic host...

Commander Dante
27-07-2005, 16:40
Dont have to get so testy man i was just stating that Tyranids are just part of a bigger organism and that makeing them have a fluffy background seems to go against the idea of Nids being mindless servants. And there are plenty ways to have Nids have kill teams. i was just against the idea of fluff behind the NID Kill teams...

Ex for instance if and IG player decides to give his Kill team a background that seems much more realistic. Nids are not humans and have no emoions they were created to serve the Hive mind.

b4d0m3n
28-07-2005, 02:35
Dont have to get so testy man i was just stating that Tyranids are just part of a bigger organism and that makeing them have a fluffy background seems to go against the idea of Nids being mindless servants. And there are plenty ways to have Nids have kill teams. i was just against the idea of fluff behind the NID Kill teams...

Ex for instance if and IG player decides to give his Kill team a background that seems much more realistic. Nids are not humans and have no emoions they were created to serve the Hive mind.

I wasn't being testy, I was being honest. If you suddenly come out with a statement which is by all accounts the wittiest, most topical observation I have ever heard, I will not hesitate to inform you of it. As it stands, however, your post adds nothing new to the argument and your poor spelling makes it difficult to decipher whatever it is you are trying to get across. :) That's alright, though. I still appreciate your contribution.

Rock.