PDA

View Full Version : Ways to beat Special Characters

Varilone31
01-03-2007, 01:26
I just want to see how many people decide to post their own ways of beating any of the special characters. Expecially Valten, Crom, and Archaon.

explorator
01-03-2007, 03:16
Valten on foot is near impossible to kill without Killing Blow. The best chance of killing him is to run him down. I do not have much experience with killing the other two.

Delusionist
01-03-2007, 05:10
Well, I'm currently getting back into fantasy, and I have never faced any of these.

What about Valtens horse? Is it a monsterous steed or a normal steed. If it's a normal steed just kill it and he will have trouble getting into combat. The same goes for Archaon.

Both are really tough, and killing them is hard.

Crom shouldn't really be a problem. He costs about the same as a Chaos Lord, but he has no magic items, and the only special abilities he gets are the ones he gets in a challenge.

Is he allowed to change weapons between challenges (same combat), or does he fight with the same weapons until the combat ends?

He can never turn down a challenge, so if you find some wierd way of beating him down in a challenge. If he is wounded You can stand a chance with a character with loads of attacks (providing Crom uses his shield).

Killing him in a challenge is really hard, so I'd try not to throw characters at him, as they probably won't get to fight. Just turn down the challenge with your champion and hit him with normal troops.

He is still just a Chaos lord as long as he doesn't get into a challenge (I think he has a bit better stats, but I'm not sure). And he doesn't have those really annoying magic items.

simonhaZe
01-03-2007, 07:03
Vs Crom as Empire i'd use the what's-it's-name-telescope on an empire captain and challenge him to a duel, swoop, stats just got swapped!

Nurgles Chosen
01-03-2007, 14:50
Honestly, Slayers work well. Especially Gotrek. That guy single handedly took archaon down when I played against him. Meanwhile the rest of the dwarven army had a hard time doing anything to him.

It took almost his equivalent points cost to even hurt him in the first place.

Now Grimgor is a character that needs strategy to beat. He's just the best. Hes got a downright nasty statline, and goes first all the time. I think he would have no problem beating any of the afor mentioned characters.

Vattendroppe
01-03-2007, 16:27
I presume you are refering to beating them without using SC yourself?

Running them down is the tactic to this that feels best. Isn't very often THAT hard, just concentrate on that unit.

Otherwise, you could just try to import a termie or harleqin from 40K :p

Gutlord Grom
01-03-2007, 16:43
Attack with every character in that unit. Just getting a wound in might help. But again, trying to break unit is your best bet.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
01-03-2007, 16:44
The easiest way to kill special characters is probably to simply lure them out in the open and charge with everything you've got and hopefuly make them flee then chase them down.

How do you beat the witch king?

Vattendroppe
01-03-2007, 16:45
How do you beat the witch king?

Obviously most ppl here wouldn't think you'd want to bother to do it, since he doesn't seem to do much :p

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
01-03-2007, 16:55
He might be overpriced but you can't say that he doesn't do much, he's probably the best special character in the game-I know there's going to be a debate over that but that's not the point.
There must be people who have fought him, and people who have beat him, so how do you do it?

Franco
01-03-2007, 17:20
He might be overpriced but you can't say that he doesn't do much, he's probably the best special character in the game-I know there's going to be a debate over that but that's not the point.
There must be people who have fought him, and people who have beat him, so how do you do it?

Ignore him!!! Not you (well!?!) ignore the witch king. He doesn't do much so if you are playing victory points (oviously destroying him would be good) but if you have a good character aswell, use that on him with your strongest unit.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
01-03-2007, 17:39
so you would allow one of the meanest and most powerful charcters fly around on his dragon killing at will? I'm not sure if that's the best tactic in the world, and I'm not sure it would be good for victory points either.-well if he was against orcs then even if he tried to destroy each of your units in turn all the way though until the end of the battle, he wouldn't have gained that many Victory points anyway.:D

Franco
01-03-2007, 17:45
I meant to avoid him ( i play WE so these would be my tactics) by hiding in the woods when hes around (cowardly but he is good and im sure hat he cant go in the woods)

Vattendroppe
01-03-2007, 17:46
I meant to avoid him ( i play WE so these would be my tactics) by hiding in the woods when hes around (cowardly but he is good and im sure hat he cant go in the woods)

He could actually WALK into the woods, if he really will do that is another case though :p

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
01-03-2007, 17:57
He could actually WALK into the woods, if he really will do that is another case though :p

I never actually thought of that, is there no penalty for something as huge as a dragon entering a forest?

Vattendroppe
01-03-2007, 17:58
I never actually thought of that, is there no penalty for something as huge as a dragon entering a forest?

As far as I know, no. Except for the usual difficult terrain that is...

Tarian
01-03-2007, 18:00
Nah, they just knock over the trees. >.>

Vattendroppe
01-03-2007, 18:01
Nah, they just knock over the trees. >.>

That can be easily fixed by having a thinner sort of base to mark the edges of the forest and placing the trees on top :)

Slaaneshi Slave
01-03-2007, 18:04
Now Grimgor is a character that needs strategy to beat. He's just the best. Hes got a downright nasty statline, and goes first all the time. I think he would have no problem beating any of the afor mentioned characters.

I used to have trouble killing him. Now he is quite easy to take down.

Chaos Lord of Slaanesh
Mounted on Steed of Slaanesh
Chaos Rune Shield, Helm of Many Eyes, Sword of Might

Charge his unit, with this guy and a unit of Mounted Daemonettes (for CR), beat the stuffing out of Grimgor (he no longer strikes first or ignores armour, but he does have his ward save, but it won't last forever). If he declines, beat his unit up, and run him down.

Slaaneshi Slave
01-03-2007, 18:06

I once saw him fail an initiative test and fall down a magic hole at my club. :D

sulla
01-03-2007, 19:31

He would be the best in the game if he cost 600 pts and only one lord slot, but using up all you hero slots and half your army's points in a 2000pt game means he is nowhere near the best in the game...

If you had to kill him, HE would do it easily I would think. RBT's for the dragon, vaul's unmaking, drain magic, fury of khaine, a couple of chariots... even archers once he's on foot and his armour has been unmade. It's not important to best him in cc since he's an elf so he's easy meat for even s3 shooting, especially if you can get rid of the dragon or his magic armour. Also, because he uses up all your slots, he has poor magical protection (4dd and no scrolls) so he is vulnerable to magic. HE should be able to shut his magic down quite easily making him a very expensive dragon lord...

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
02-03-2007, 16:01
I once saw him fail an initiative test and fall down a magic hole at my club. :D

What a heroic death.

But what people probably aren't realising is that he is on a dragon and can therefore fly anywhere he wants. You would need to be against a seriously crap player to get him in a combat he didn't want to be in. As for the bolt throwers, two turns of flight behind the enemy lines and can be easily taken out.

Wa-hay I'm a Chaplain!