PDA

View Full Version : Oh no! More Thunderbolts.

Tyra_Nid
01-03-2007, 23:27
Alrighty, finally finished a couple of FW Tbolts (apart from a varnish). Shown here is the flight commander and one wingman.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/tyra_nid/Aeronautica%20Imperialis/tbolts1.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/tyra_nid/Aeronautica%20Imperialis/tbolts2.jpg

I much prefer these to the SG minis, but they take far longer to paint.

greenmtvince
01-03-2007, 23:49
Man! Those turned out slick! What did you use to bring out the recesses? Also, where did you get that tiny winged skull over the engine cowling?

Tyra_Nid
01-03-2007, 23:53
Man! Those turned out slick!

Thankyou.

What did you use to bring out the recesses?

Just the base coat. Whole thing was painted in a really dark grey (Vallejo Black Grey) before 'blocking' in all the plates with a lighter grey, then highlighting the edges. Time consuming, but looks cool :p

Also, where did you get that tiny winged skull over the engine cowling?

Cadian infantry transfer sheet, as with tail numbers. Wing decals are from Chimera transfer sheet (B), i think.

Greblord
02-03-2007, 00:24
That chimera transfer sheet is great for AI planes.
Nice work. :)

CELS
02-03-2007, 02:20
Definitely the best Thunderbolts I've seen so far. Excellent stuff. Very Imperial!

ss_cherubael
02-03-2007, 05:29
very very cool, nice work mate. The transfers seem to fit in very well might have to remember that for when my stuff gets here.

mattjgilbert
02-03-2007, 09:24
Those look really good. Very clean finish.

Tyra_Nid
02-03-2007, 09:49
Thanks for comments guys!

Ive attached a quick cameraphone scale shot so that I can link it somewhere else, photobucket is down. Just ignore that! (Unless it interests you :p)

Colonel_Kreitz
06-03-2007, 01:55
Yikes! Those really came out looking great! In fact, you've inspired me. I was trying to decide between a WWII style Army Air Force green and a more modern grey for my fighters. The grey looks fantastic (and you just did a great job painting them), so grey it is!

PS - What did you do to get rid of the "glare" from the transfers? Matte varnish, or something else?

Thanks!

Tyra_Nid
06-03-2007, 05:07
PS - What did you do to get rid of the "glare" from the transfers? Matte varnish, or something else?

I do use a matt varnish to remove any glare. The photos in this thread, however, are pre-varnish. This means they are at their shineyest! You can see this the most on the tail markings of the command Bolt (Definate shine). The glare really frustrates me, but I find that if you cut very close to the symbol itself (leaving as little 'clear' border as possible), you get far less 'glare'. After that, a matt varnish removes the glare completely.

DaCone2
06-03-2007, 11:36
Which matt varnish do you use?

Oneofmany
06-03-2007, 19:45
Man they look great! I am gonna steel that idea.

Thanks One:cool:

malika
06-03-2007, 20:20
Why do you keep making such impressive models?

Tyra_Nid
06-03-2007, 23:12
Which matt varnish do you use?

At the moment I am using Vallejo paint-on. Ive also used Humbrol in the past, which was possibly a bit more protective, but also more inconsistent in its results (ie some tins would be perfectly matt, some satin).

Im a big fan of the Vallejo stuff for consistent matt-ing, but not so much for protection from knocks (especially not with resin minis!).

Why do you keep making such impressive models?

Im sorry. Should I stop? :p

Colonel_Kreitz
07-03-2007, 00:23
At the moment I am using Vallejo paint-on. Ive also used Humbrol in the past, which was possibly a bit more protective, but also more inconsistent in its results (ie some tins would be perfectly matt, some satin).

Im a big fan of the Vallejo stuff for consistent matt-ing, but not so much for protection from knocks (especially not with resin minis!).

Interesting. I use Vallejo paints about 80% of the time (I mainly buy GW for metallics and inks), but I haven't tried their matt varnish before. I'll have to give that a shot.

Usually, I use the spray on stuff from GW, which seems to work okay. Ends up looking alright and saves time thanks to spraying. You do, of course, run the risk of overspray and making the whole thing come out looking chunky...

mageboltrat
07-03-2007, 00:31
The new foundation paints from GW are fantastic, I've really been enjoying using them. I suggest you pop in and ask to have a go with them.

Colonel_Kreitz
07-03-2007, 04:31
Oh, are the foundation paints really that great? I was frankly pretty curious about them. It's usually takes me forever to paint IG tanks. Large green surfaces have horrendous coverage over both black and white undercoats...

Tyra_Nid
07-03-2007, 07:44
I've heard the foundation paints are good, Ill probably be picking some up. Only for undercoat/basecoat though, Vallejos remain far and away better for standard painting (except the metals).

mageboltrat
07-03-2007, 18:34
They are that good. Had to paint some Dark Angels for the store. The first ones I was painting the robes with Graveyard Earth and then highlighting with Kommando Khaki and the a mix of KK and white. The undercoat of Graveyard Earth toke about 4 coats before I could start. The new foundation colour (The same one you get in the Fantasy Starter Paint Set) which is halfway between Graveyard Earth and Kommando Khaki went over in one coat and then I did a graveyard wash and then highlighted up with the Foundation colour and white. I would say overall took me about a third of the time. I also can't wait to try them through an airbrush I've heard really good things about them, might be able to do the Iyanden army I've always wanted to have in 40K.

They are also OK for wet blending which was what worried me when I heard about them, but they do taste horrible.

Steam_Giant
12-03-2007, 20:52
Hi, sry Tyra_Nid i hope you dont think im hi-jackin your thread or anything but i didn't wanna start ANOTHER thunderbolt thread.

Here are my Traitor Thunderbolts Red 1&2, the decals are from fighting Piranaha graphics. The engines still need a few dry brushings to bring out the heat. Apart from that im quite pleased. My photography is worse than my painting i hope you can excuse that. I have also scratch built a 'Hydra' which i will post once its painted up. I cant wait for my Hell Blades to arrive (Apparently their Out of stock!?) then i can play without any proxy models !

Hope you enjoy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/Grandmasterxiao/PIC_0014.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/Grandmasterxiao/PIC_0012.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/Grandmasterxiao/PIC_0013.jpg

Mozzamanx
12-03-2007, 20:56
Nifty on both accounts, came out very well =)

rev
20-03-2007, 23:23
They are also OK for wet blending which was what worried me when I heard about them, but they do taste horrible.

yeh but they smell of cadburys roses alex!!!

mageboltrat
21-03-2007, 00:24
only the yellow one.