PDA

View Full Version : 1980s F.I.S.T telephone games

OrlyggJafnakol
02-03-2007, 12:11
Occasionally I pick up old copies of WD on eBay. Issues I had as a child and disappeared through one of my mother's 'purges' of my belongings.

I cam across an advert, and a poster, in one copy for a game called F.I.S.T. Seeing it brough back so many old memories of wishing I could have had a go, but there was no way my parents would even have let me, so I never asked.

Are there any veterans out there that actually played these telephone games? Were they actually any good. I seem to recall that Livingstone and co produced and number of varients, so they must have had some success with them.

machine_recovered_meat
02-03-2007, 13:11
I played the Gladiator one once. It was awful - nothing seemed to work properly - you press the button option when prompted, and it went off on a whole random thing which made no sense and seemed to be unrelated to the options which were available.

Jellicoe
02-03-2007, 13:16
I would have been given a good hiding by my parents if i had even considered the option and the fear of chastisement meant I never had a go

I heard from a mate who did that they were rubbish though

FatOlaf
02-03-2007, 13:18
Had a quick go on various games and again I found them to very unreliable and prone to crashing. Then my parents found the phone bill...............The rest is history.

Osbad
02-03-2007, 14:07
I had a go once on the promise that I paid the phonebill out of my pocket money when it arrived.

It was crap - I never finished the adventure, in fact never really understood what the heck was going on. Buggy as hell.

And it cost me nearly a whole fiver - a fortune in the early '80's!

Treasure Trap was much better!

Jellicoe
02-03-2007, 17:09
five quid! - think how many figs you could have bought then and sold on ebay now for a packet

5 in the early 80's could have got you a regiment of renown or several blisters of the wonderful Nick Lund's chronicle wolf riders

I dimly recall treasure trap - remind me...

Osbad
03-03-2007, 11:41
TT was the beginning of LARPing. The did up this old castle in the midlands and you paid to have adventures down it. You could go monstering for free. Great fun, but it went bust after a year or so, sadly. At the time it seemed radical and exciting (I was 12 or 13 IIRC).

I first heard about it through WD when they did a review.

Sadly I am too "grown up" to enjoy LARPing of any sort these days - more's the pity!

And 5 was about 6 months pocket money! (Or at least felt like it!)

Jellicoe
03-03-2007, 19:13
Ah yes I remember now - I seem to recall that a number of people lost money when they went under

Osbad
04-03-2007, 21:32
Yeah, they went bust owing punters for adventures they'd paid for but not delivered.