PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Space Hulk? New from Litko

WholeHazelNuts
02-03-2007, 18:04
Check out this... Space Hulk anyone?:) :D

http://www.litkoaero.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=LAI&Category_Code=CS

Dwarf Supreme
02-03-2007, 19:36
I noticed those, too. Very nice. Perfect for Space Hulk.

Aundae
02-03-2007, 20:42
I love it. :D

Vic
03-03-2007, 14:49
I dunno. From the really small thumbs, I couldnt see much detail, and what I could see looked washed out. Anyone have better pics? Id love to expnad my SH set....

MasterModakai
04-03-2007, 00:51
Looks like they are laser cut wood/acrylic tiles that you either paint up or glue on printed template "stock art" provided on their site. Could be wrong, but if that is the case, seems a bit pricey.

BlackViper
04-03-2007, 13:44
ok, but if you've got Space Hulk - you've got Space Hulk. I would have thought that these would only be needed by people trying to put together their own set from sctratch with new models and pdf rules... and you gan get the boardgame off ebay for 20!

Nice, but I don't really get it....

Slaaneshi Slave
04-03-2007, 17:27
Is it me, or are those figures almost identical to Marines and Gaunts?

Vic
07-03-2007, 17:05
Which are identical to Storm troopers and Giegers aliens, which are identical to ......

Ravenous
08-03-2007, 08:52
Wow. That is the most blantant rip off Ive seen in awhile.

GW should get their sue button ready.

doghouse
08-03-2007, 13:30
Those marines are old plastic Space Rangers. Used to come in a box of fifty at one point for a tenner. You can still buy them online. :)

Avian
09-03-2007, 13:26
Meh, weak copy of Geiger and Heinlein stuff and even worse than GW's weak copies of Geiger and Heinlein stuff.

GW should be happy that nobody has sued them already.
There, I fixed your post for you. :p

Vic
09-03-2007, 21:59
Yeah, GW would have to prove that they are the only ones with the idea of 1) Power armored troops, 2) Marines in Space, 3) Creatures that are biomechanical in nature, 4) Derelict space craft harboring some sort of nastiness.....
In short, all of the de rigueur of SciFi the past 50 years or so...

So if GW wants to 1) Waste $$ on a lawsuit, and 2) Have egg on their face when the courts state that GW does not have exclusive license to the above SciFi ingredients (which in turn would embolden others to try their luck), then yeah, let them sue.

ImhotepMagi
12-03-2007, 14:52
And I wouldn't just print out the detail PDF's on cardstock and cut them to the appropriate size because...?

EDIT: Oh, because they are smaller. Still, I could probably do the same thing but cheaper with only a minimal effort on my part, given that I still have to supply my own materials after paying $70 for unfinished wood.

Way too expensive for undetailed wooden puzzle pieces. Resin with raised detail, yes. Flat wood, definitely not.

Warsmith Strader
13-03-2007, 20:49
I remember those space rangers, I used those models for Warzone to represent Capital Banshees!

I missed having that set! even the generic plastic battlemechs for battletech!

Ash
14-03-2007, 22:03
Yeah, GW would have to prove that they are the only ones with the idea of 1) Power armored troops, 2) Marines in Space, 3) Creatures that are biomechanical in nature, 4) Derelict space craft harboring some sort of nastiness.....
In short, all of the de rigueur of SciFi the past 50 years or so...

So if GW wants to 1) Waste $$ on a lawsuit, and 2) Have egg on their face when the courts state that GW does not have exclusive license to the above SciFi ingredients (which in turn would embolden others to try their luck), then yeah, let them sue.

Well said.

Huw_Dawson
15-03-2007, 16:21
But Space Hulk IS Games Workshop copywrited, as is their entire board game. If someone is copying the style of the game, GW could have a case for a lawsuit.

- Huw

Vic
15-03-2007, 19:42
No, style does not constitute a violation of copyright. Now, if they copied it verbatim, then GW would have a case. But with enough of a stylistic change, GW doesnt have a leg to stand on....

The Ape
23-03-2007, 13:53
Actually, if GW could prove that people would mistake it for Space Hulk then they probably could sue. Or more likely, get an injunction to cease production of the products (i.e. cheaper and more likely to succeed)

Vic
23-03-2007, 18:05
Actually, if GW could prove that people would mistake it for Space Hulk then they probably could sue. Or more likely, get an injunction to cease production of the products (i.e. cheaper and more likely to succeed)

In a US court, GW would still have an uphill battle to prove that it would be mistaken for its product, and even then to prove that it has suffered financial loss because of the similarity.

In all honesty, the generic nature of the Litko product precludes it's commonality with Space Hulk.

The Ape
23-03-2007, 21:39
Except that because GW is a UK company, UK IP law applies...

Vic
23-03-2007, 22:22
Which would still be hard for GW to prove.....let them, they have extra money for lawyers, dont they?

The Ape
23-03-2007, 23:03
A solicitor's salary AND a GW discount...

Sounds like my ideal job :)

Brushmonkey
24-03-2007, 00:06
All they have to do is flip out the original Space Hulk Missions booklet. These chumps have their board laid out exactly like the mission to destroy the control room, doors and all.

Pretty difficult thing to 'accidentaly imitate'.

the_raptor
24-03-2007, 05:54
All they have to do is flip out the original Space Hulk Missions booklet. These chumps have their board laid out exactly like the mission to destroy the control room, doors and all.

Pretty difficult thing to 'accidentaly imitate'.

So it is an infringement of copyright to use other companies miniatures to play a game of Space Hulk? Nope.

Most countries wouldn't even allow you to copyright something like the layout of gaming pieces. You would need a patent on the design of the gaming pieces to do that. Go have a look at all the Lego clones that are compatible (some what) with Lego.

The people who should be worried are GW. Their newer Tyranids are severely influenced by giger and the _Alien_ series (new warrior heads look like Queen Aliens). And space hulk was basically a rip off of _Aliens_ in the first place.

Brushmonkey
24-03-2007, 10:03
So it is an infringement of copyright to use other companies miniatures to play a game of Space Hulk? Nope.

Most countries wouldn't even allow you to copyright something like the layout of gaming pieces. You would need a patent on the design of the gaming pieces to do that. Go have a look at all the Lego clones that are compatible (some what) with Lego.

The people who should be worried are GW. Their newer Tyranids are severely influenced by giger and the _Alien_ series (new warrior heads look like Queen Aliens). And space hulk was basically a rip off of _Aliens_ in the first place.

No. Its an infringment to copy Space Hulk. I didn't say that layout was something you could copywrite, it is a way GW could try and prove that the design of these pieces is infringement of copywrite.

I do believe Lego's copywrite protection expired allowing other companies to jump on the bandwagon.

Aliens is a rip off of any stalker movie, just that it has an alien rather that a homocidal madman. So its a rip off of Psycho...?

Yes Giger et al could raise some issue with GW, but GW has added enough of their ideas into the Nids to deflect such attention.

VetSgtNamaan
25-03-2007, 02:48
I am not lawyer but I always thought loss of revenue was the key ingredient in most civil suits. And since GW as far as I know has no intention to remake the space hulk game going so far as to claim they lost all the plans and desgin schematics for them when they moved offices (or so I have be told anyway.) Regardless if they do try to sue then I expect the case to take a long time since when have you ever heard of a case being over quickly.

the_raptor
25-03-2007, 05:50
No. Its an infringment to copy Space Hulk. I didn't say that layout was something you could copywrite, it is a way GW could try and prove that the design of these pieces is infringement of copywrite.

So they are infringing copyright by copying something which has no copyright? You can't copyright game pieces like Space Hulk tiles (you can copyright the artwork on them) under most copyright laws (you would need to patent them). Especially when "make your own dungeon" sets existed long before space hulk.

GW can't sue other companies for making ogres or power armoured humans either.

Charax
25-03-2007, 10:37
GW won't sue anyone for making a game somewhat resembling Space Hulk. if they were going to, they'd have done it when the Doom boardgame came out.

So regardless of whether GW Can or Can't sue (Why do you guys care anyway? do you have shares in companies making rival products or something?) they won't, and all discussion of the possible legal implications of someone making an "Armoured human Vs nasty alien tile-based game" is really just pointless.

(incidentally, GW *Can't* sue them - if you look at the site all they're selling are the boards, no rules, no miniatures [it actually tells you the manufacturer of them] and as far as I know GW does not hold any kind of patent on a series of modular 1inch squares. At worst they're suggesting you might use their product to play some kind of science-fiction boardgame).

But, by all means please continue with your pointless discussion, rather than actually talking about the subject of the thread itself. I like the idea of having Hulk boards made of thin wood, I had a friend who made 3D Warhammer Quest boards out of polystyrene and they looked great - the original cardboard SH boards are a bit too flimsy for me so wooden ones are a great idea. You could even take the overlay sheets and use the dimensions to make differently-themed overlays - cobblestone, for example, or ones for the various "Special tiles" for WHQ.

Vic
25-03-2007, 18:08
Charax:
QFT.

Lets try to bring this thread back to where it started.

Does anyone know what this looks like in person, or its compatability with SH tiles? I have SH1 and would love to expand my current set.

Norsehawk
26-03-2007, 16:08
They don't send you the painted hunks of wood, instead they send you bare sections which you can paint to look like a dungeon, space ship, modern day hallways, whatever floats your boat. a dungeon is a dungeon no matter what its made out of.

Ross
01-04-2007, 09:25
Hey lads, just reading you posts, (thanks for bringing it back to Space Hulk lol) thought this might interest you. The US Games Workshop site has done a SH Kill Team rules modifier and walk through terrain. My jaw dropped at such inovative designs etc. blah blah blah any way it's cool, take a look.

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/gaming/spacehulk/default.htm

Brother Solarus
27-04-2007, 03:31
I've recently picked up the Space Corridor system and I have to say that
I'm impressed by the quality of the pieces. I've shelved my old copy of
Space Hulk in favor of using Litko. It's a little pricey but the pieces are
far more durable.

Sol

Nurglitch
10-05-2007, 21:42
Yeah, I just received a parcel of markers (flame, smoke, etc) that I purchased from Litko and I'm really impressed by the quality and quantity. They even through in some extra 'chicken' markers!

Darnok
11-05-2007, 10:20
While that stuff indeed is nice, I see no reason to buy it. I mean, 100 bucks for nothing more than the equivalent of a Space Hulk board? That's ridiculous! And the original SH floor plans even have more details than that stuff. Sorry, without me.

Casarez
11-05-2007, 11:51
My buddy got a couple of sets and some of the markers (Fire, Jammed, Overwatch) and we have been using it ever since. In fact at this point we are not using anything from the original SH box set to play. The stuff is very very nice and, in my opinion, well worth the money.

I am impressed enough with it that I might be buying my own sets soon.

Casarez
11-05-2007, 11:51
Yeah, I just received a parcel of markers (flame, smoke, etc) that I purchased from Litko and I'm really impressed by the quality and quantity. They even through in some extra 'chicken' markers!

My buddy got those "chicken" markers too. Do you know what they are for?

Casarez
11-05-2007, 11:54
Does anyone know what this looks like in person, or its compatability with SH tiles? I have SH1 and would love to expand my current set.

They are incompatible with the cardboard SH tiles. To expand your set I believe there might still be a gaming store in Germany selling all the pieces for the 1st edition set (including the cardboard tiles) but sans box.

Christine
11-05-2007, 12:25
As I see it you'd never manage to sue litko over them as they are just selling the wood blanks. If you felt the need to sue someone you'd probably have better luck suing the makers of the doom boardgame over the contents of that!

It's just daft people!

Nurglitch
11-05-2007, 14:25
My buddy got those "chicken" markers too. Do you know what they are for? I'd imagine they're handy for marking broken units, models suffering from the effects of fear rules, marking the presence of ammunition for chook cannons, etc .

hood_oz
24-05-2007, 01:16

I have had a look at the scannner blip markers for SH, and I am tempted to get some for my SH and necromunda games.

But do you have a picture of the chicken counters to share?
I checked their website and there doesn't seem to be a listing for them.

Would love to see the chicken markers.

Nurglitch
24-05-2007, 03:51
Here's a pic, with some other tokens for comparison. Sorry about the quality. I think the chicken tokens were a one-time-only promotional, but you never know with small businesses like Litko.

KITS AND BITS
24-05-2007, 13:08
i expect when they re-release spacehulk in plastic as planned , these tiles will be forgotten quickly , i love space hulk , its hulktastic

Nurglitch
24-05-2007, 18:55
Space Hulk is okay, but I think I'll compare price structures before buying plastic tiles at GW prices.

hood_oz
25-05-2007, 04:31
Here's a pic, with some other tokens for comparison. Sorry about the quality. I think the chicken tokens were a one-time-only promotional, but you never know with small businesses like Litko.

thats hilarious. a little yellow chicken marker. perfect for when my troops use their tactical withdrawal of 'RUN AWAY!'

Might have to send them an email when I can get a few friends together to put in for a reasonable sized order from them. Always nice to get big packages in the mail. Except the ones that are ticking of course....

Gre'setal
26-05-2007, 15:57
Whats that...a strange scent in the air....i think its...its...COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT!!!! Cool, like it, seems worth while, despite prices :/

Nurglitch
26-05-2007, 22:11
I think it's been explained that there's no copyright infringement going on....