5 Cold One Knights standard and champ 181 Pts

5 Harpies @ 65 Pts

rare:

1 War Hydra @ 220 Pts

1 War Hydra @ 220 Pts

1993 pts

2 PD, 2 DD
36 models

I was toying around the other day with ideas for an unusual small elite DE army and decided to settle on a kar karond beast army.
But the question is will this work?

Any comments or changes people can make would be apreciated.

The things i think this army has going for it:
advantages
1) movement- with all the flying and fast cav positioning shouldnt be that much of a problem.
2)speed, well the slowest thing in the list is 6 so i should be able to cover distances easily enough
3) Psychology, with 4 terror casuing units and 3 fear causing units I hope to have some fun.
4) harpies- hope to be in combat by turn 3 at the latest with psky artuillary crews with these
5)combat- if i can pull off joint charges in flanks and rears i hope to have enough punch to take don most units

disadvantages:
1)numbers- this is a very tiny army
2)elves- their tougness could be a liability
3)Psychology- stupidity could cost me the game
4)artilary- if my harpies or dark riders cant get their in tme im dead
5)magic, this will tear me apart if im not able to find enough cover before the charge

Dr.Blast
24-07-2005, 13:45
Well, it's an interesting army I must say, i like the idea, but you are very vulnerable to magic, only 2 dispell dice and no dispell scrolls :eyebrows:. You probably wont be able to find cover for all your units so by the time you reach the opponents army your units have already suffered some serious casualties, even if it is a fast army.
Imo you should take at least a sorceress with 2 dispell scrolls, that would make a big diference, it would hold your magical defense for at least a turn or two. ;)

meowser
25-07-2005, 02:17
you need more magic defense, especially with your low numbers, high model costs and general shreddability of your army.

either take a sorceress scrollcaddy on a dark steed, or trade your highborn for a high sorceress on a manticore/ dark pegasus

p.s. monster armies are where it's at! 10 points on fluff for you!

Naghaz
25-07-2005, 02:48
First off, I love this idea! Great stuff!

As stated and I'm sure you know, magic defense is a big deal. Not so much for magic missles, but for the other, more dangerous spells. Perhaps get rid of the dragon, and put your highborn on a Manticore as well, then add a Sorc on Dark Pegasus (stays within the theme).

rune
25-07-2005, 02:59
I'd give the beastmaster the seal of ghrond, this will give you 3 dispel dice. If you want to go magic free, then do it.

The highborn on dragon is good, the beastmaster on manticore is good, the two hydras are good, the knights and chariots are good.. as are the harpies.. but all those dark riders? If i were you, i'd bring 1 or 2 units of dark riders and 1 or 2 units of 16 spearmen. They're dirt cheap for elves and will give your army some depth and ranks, not to mention numbers.

NarCiS
25-07-2005, 16:10
Nice idea, for club games, maybe get some RnF to be competitive. This list's problem is the inability to receive any kind of charge.
All your units are tailored to be manouverable around the Hydras, but honestly, Hydras are not great at getting charged.

Dark_Blade
26-07-2005, 22:48
Perhaps get rid of the dragon, and put your highborn on a Manticore as well, then add a Sorc on Dark Pegasus (stays within the theme).

unfortunatly a regular sorceress can not get a dark pegasus, however have you considered a spell thirster hydra? gives magic resistance to surrounding units, this will help protect you from magic for a turn and then you can charge the next turn. I would also get more dark riders, in my calvary army I run 5 units. This is alot i know but I works quite well.

librerian_samae
27-07-2005, 13:57
good points allround, I know the magic phase is death but short of getting rid of the dragon (which i am loath to do) Im pretty much stuck with having to get minced in the first 2 turns then hope my harpies and dark riders do their job on turn 2/3.
This list was never really ment to be competetive just fun and unusual, glad so many of you seem to think its a good idea.

here is a more magicy version for you perusal:

heros:

High sorceress(General);
Heart-stone of Darkness on manticore 490 Pts

Beastmaster Lance; Light Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak on manticore 242 Pts

core:

5 Dark Riders Repeating Crossbow 120 Pts

special:

2 Cold One Chariot Spear 194 Pts

5 Cold One Knights standard and champ 181 Pts

5 Harpies @ 65 Pts

rare:

1 spellthirster Hydra @ 240 Pts

1 War Hydra @ 220 Pts

1992 pts

PD 6 DD 4

models 36

WhiteStar
28-07-2005, 11:32
Cool army! Make a cool diorama for it and it will rock! With such few and varied models, you can really spend some quality time with each miniature ;) No but really - it would make for very interesting games. A shooting/magic heavy force could be a problem... A Beastlord with the Rune of the True Beast would love this :P