PDA

View Full Version : Hombres lagarto de los muertos

Faeslayer
04-03-2007, 11:31
I'm making a day of the dead lizardmen army, and this is my project log. Any and all ideas would be appreciated as well, as I'm gonna need all the ideas I can get!

This is the rough-drafty test model, to see how the skull-facepaint and stripey-iguana-tails look on the Saurus warriors. I filed down the bony ridges over the eyes, to make the eye-socket paint more visible from a player perspective. The skin color isn't final at all.

http://members.aol.com/faeslayer/images/kisslizard.jpg

I made a plaster ruined relief for the Slann/temple guard regiment as well, which is a basing method I hope to use all over the army. It should be easier to see once it's painted:

http://members.aol.com/faeslayer/images/relief.jpg

...though once I washed it off, a bunch of bubbles became visible. I need to figure out how to get rid of bubbles better without a vacuum table!

If anyone has ideas or inspirational pics, feel free to share. I'm kind of stumped for banners. :)

(also, I don't speak spanish, so if I mistranslated "lizardmen of the dead" do correct me!)

Faeslayer
04-03-2007, 11:48
here's the sketch I drew when planning the relief! He looks so happy.

http://members.aol.com/faeslayer/images/reliefsketch.jpg

75hastings69
04-03-2007, 11:52
This looks fantastic!!! Where in the world are you Faeslayer? I could use a couple of your plaster basing designs for my own LM army!!!! I think it is absolutely brilliant.

Can't wait for more updates to this thread.

Sling
04-03-2007, 11:56
The base is great. The painting looks clean. Keep it up!

Faeslayer
04-03-2007, 12:09
This looks fantastic!!! Where in the world are you Faeslayer? I could use a couple of your plaster basing designs for my own LM army!!!! I think it is absolutely brilliant.

Thanks! :) I live in Illinois, but the bases are easy enough to make! I used a plastic can lid (hobnobs-size) and poured some plaster in there, then (once dry) scratched the design in with the sharp tip of a drawing compass. That way the hard part (a decent circle) was taken care of already and all I had to do was scratch in a design!

This resulted in a lot of plaster dust, which I dusted away with a big soft paintbrush.

I poured more plaster onto a paper plate, to make more thin tile-making stuff. I'll probably use a lot of it on the steggy base.

75hastings69
04-03-2007, 12:12
This looks like it has the potential to be an awesome Project Log. Good luck mate.

Voronwe[MQ]
04-03-2007, 12:17
It really seems to have that potential; good work! Have you thought about using watered-down Dark Green Ink and Brown Ink on the green parts of the saurus' body? It might make it look better. The relief is great - if this army will turn out somewhat as well as it seems to do it'll have a good chance of making a show in WD.

Apparently you're handy with plasticard, which would make it possible for you to make all the shields yourself, and then not in the lizard-hide way. See what I mean? A similar (and of course simpler) pattern or even patterns - maybe a specific pattern for each regiment - like on the relief could be used on round shields, which would really help to make your army stand out. The saurus champions could have face masks made out of plasticard, too.

Oh, and I suppose that this should be moved to Fantasy Project Logs my administrators.

Voronwe

Faeslayer
04-03-2007, 12:34
I have a bunch of the 5th edition round lizard shields I was planning on using, but your idea of using the relief style on shields is really nice, at least for the temple guard. Maybe they could have chunks of temple stone for shields?

The saurus scheme is temporary, I mainly wanted to make sure the paint on the heads didn't look too goofy. I think the bodies will be more of a dark sea-green blue color. We'll see!

bluebugs
04-03-2007, 16:12
Bueno, Bueno. Very original idea hombre![dice0]

Boss_Salvage
05-03-2007, 15:50
Love the theme and the paint scheme is quite cool too - iguana + death's head is an awesome combo.

Subscribed!

- Salvage

Faeslayer
11-03-2007, 22:57
Well, I searched my heart, and the desire to use cosmically extravagant tropical colors won out over the coolness of a Dia de los Muertos theme. I've painted a lot of rotting, pale and undead things over the past decade and I want to take a break, get all the unused colors out of my system. :D

So the dead lizard theme is no more. But the dead lizard temple guard base lives on!

http://members.aol.com/faeslayer/images/templeguardbase.jpg

I'll grass it up once the painted temple guard and slann are pinned to it.

Still, that kind of ends this project log, since the title doesn't make sense anymore. Thanks for all the kind words! :)

Boss_Salvage
12-03-2007, 15:30
For what it's worth, I actually never thought they were actually going to be undead lizards, just kinda themed toward the totenkopf paint scheme ... which I still really like. I hope you keep it, in whatever form the army takes now. Wicked base no matter :D

- Salvage

Faeslayer
12-03-2007, 18:51
They were never going to be undead, just dark and with skull-paint. In my mind's eye, it was difficult to get the ashen-looking skull paint to look good on anything but a dour-colored lizardman, or next to all of the actual bone the models use. Guys with skull paint standing next to guys wearing ACTUAL SKULLS somehow didn't seem like a good idea, to say nothing of the guys wearing skulls having skullpaint as well (which is so much skull, they might be mistaken for Empire troops :D).

But all is not lost, for I really love this plaster basing thing. Every unit is going to have some carved-up rubble on it somewhere!

Faeslayer
29-05-2008, 17:07
It's the project that will not die!

Going back to a day-of-the-dead theme, but stickin' with the bright colors too.

http://www.scottleaton.com/slannbasewip.jpg

I attached the slann to the base with three steel paperclips. They fan out beneath the base, and are superglued together. The chrome effect actually seems to give a "floating" impression better than a clear rod ever did, curiously enough (when seen from a playing perspective).

http://www.scottleaton.com/technislann.jpg

more details to fill in, inking, glazing... but I like how it's going so far!

Gonfrask
29-05-2008, 23:35
Wow, the detail level in the palanquin is impresive! The colours are very natural and good selected

Braad
30-05-2008, 07:31
I hope you didn't glue the slann to the base, cause I think its pointing sideways right now...

Monsterzonk
30-05-2008, 08:01
Now that's an unique theme you've got going here! I really like the relief base and the Slann palanquin. Awesome painting! It'll be nice to see this unfold...

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

thalamus
30-05-2008, 08:35
Really nice work. I like the colorscheme, too! Keep up the good work. This is really inspiring me.

Faeslayer
30-05-2008, 14:05
I hope you didn't glue the slann to the base, cause I think its pointing sideways right now...

It must be a trick of the camera... it looks straight in person. :)
EDIT- oh, I see what you mean, with the relief. I turned the relief tiles 90 degrees, so that the coolest part of the skeleton was easily visible beneath the platform. The crouched skeleton-warrior relief is now "facing" the enemy player.

Boss_Salvage
30-05-2008, 15:21
Very happy to see this project revived, still loving the theme :D

Great paint on the throne, never seen all those glyphs picked out in color before, quite nice.

- Salvage

happy_doctor
30-05-2008, 16:05
Great idea, and it seems like you've got the skills to make it look wonderful!

Consider me subscribed, I'll be checking regularly for updates!

Aflo
30-05-2008, 18:28
Awesome plaster skillz! Everything looks great so far - looking forward to updates :)

Alltaken
30-05-2008, 19:39
beatiful, your slan palanquin is impressive. What else do you plan to do for the skin of the saurus? More iguana stripes for the rest of the body? and the belly colour?

Faeslayer
30-05-2008, 20:23
Still a WIP after some time, but I've also got this much done on the meat-lizard:

http://members.aol.com/faeslayer/images/meatlizard.jpg

http://shutter11.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/02/004/79/FD/21/92/L-9OaHqa-1PGNXOkp9N7Zga0fy4tKcvT01E0.jpg

This guy is frozen until I can get more Mechrite Red, which is the base it's blended up from.

mrtn
30-05-2008, 22:45
I missed this thread the first time around, nice that it was bumped, as it seems cool. :)

Luthien
31-05-2008, 00:03
Aah very nice, the slaan mage priest will look particularly impressive when it's finished.

silverstu
31-05-2008, 09:40
Great theme for a thread- the slann throne and the carnisaur look great. Hope you show us some more soon.

MF3000
31-05-2008, 10:37
Damnnnnn bro this is a brilliant project you've got planned! I love the stuff so far! I hope you pump out more of these fantastic minis!

sj

Layne in Spayne
31-05-2008, 12:53
That palanquin is more Inca than Inca, Lovely. Shall it be finished in stone or gold?