PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Pts For Tourney - Veteran Opinions Wanted

supanuno
04-03-2007, 16:01
Characters

Tyrant - Tenderizer, Wyrdstone Necklace, Fistfull Of Laurels, Heavy Armour, Luck Gnoblar - 297 Pts

Butcher - Siegebreaker, Skullmantle - 180 Pts

Butcher - Bangstick, Dispel Scroll - 180 Pts

Butcher - Sword Of Might, Dispel Scroll - 175 Pts

Core

3 Ironguts - Standard Bearer, Lookout Gnoblar (Sword Of Might Butcher Here)- 169 Pts

3 Ironguts - Standard Bearer, Lookout Gnoblar (Bangstick Butcher Here) - 169 Pts

3 Bulls - Bellower - 115 Pts

4 Bulls - Light Armour, Standard Bearer, Ironfist, Lookout Gnoblar ( Tyrant And Siegebreaker Butcher Here)- 197 Pts

8 Gnoblar Trappers - 48 Pts

Special

2 Leadbelchers - Bellower 120 Pts

Rare

Slavegiant - 175 Pts

Slavegiant - 175 Pts

8 PD, Bangstick
5 DD, 2 Scrolls
1999 Pts

Kadrium
04-03-2007, 17:13
The Sword of Might seems like throw-away points on a butcher.

Slavegiants really rarely make their points back. Two gorgers would be more useful and leave you with 200 points to take more bulls/ironguts.

Everything else is solid.

Wings of Doom
04-03-2007, 17:27
Additional handweapons are almost allways preferable to ironfists, as you will rarely use the ironfist option.
Have to agree that gorgers are way better than slavegiants.
Drop the giants, take a couple of gorgers and another bait/screen bull unit.

supanuno
04-03-2007, 17:38
I unfortunately already bought the giant models so I have to find a way of making them work. I've added a potential second list, let me know if you like this one better.

2nd List

Characters

Tyrant - Tenderizer, Wyrdstone Necklace, Heavy Armour, Luck Gnoblar - 281 Pts

Bruiser - Battle-Standard, Sword Of Might, Deathcheater - 199 Pts

Butcher - Siegebreaker - 160 Pts

Butcher - Bangstick, Dispel Scroll - 180 Pts

Core

6 Ironguts - Standard Bearer (Tyrant And Bangstick Butcher Here)- 169 Pts

6 Ironguts - Standard Bearer (Bruiser And Siegebreaker Butcher Here) - 169 Pts

3 Bulls - 105 Pts

8 Gnoblar Trappers - 48 Pts

20 Gnoblar Fighters - 40 Pts

Rare

Slavegiant - 175 Pts

Slavegiant - 175 Pts

6 PD, Bangstick
4 DD, 1 Scroll
1999 Pts

dominic_carrillo
04-03-2007, 19:01
Slave giants cower
they are no longer stubborn
Watch them run away

Yhetees are ugly
they were sculpted in the dark
but they're really good

nicky1311
05-03-2007, 14:18
ORGE MAGIC BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! slavegiants r 2 random. u need gorgers, 2 of um and u want like 12 -16 leadbelcher and u gots a tourney list

Kadrium
06-03-2007, 02:19
ORGE MAGIC BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! slavegiants r 2 random. u need gorgers, 2 of um and u want like 12 -16 leadbelcher and u gots a tourney list

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Ogre magic is fantastic and more than 4 leadbelchers at 2k is too many.

There is nothing wrong with ironfists as long as they're taken in conjunction with light armor. Ironfists alone are of little use. Light armor alone is of little use. Both are only a 6+ save which is too easily negated. If you find yourself using your ironfists for armor saves a majority of the time, simply take the extra hand weapons and don't bother with the 6+ save. When it's not negated (which is most of the time) you rarely actually roll it anyway. If you use the 4+ save, its not a bad combo. Models with t4, 4 wounds, and a 4+ armor save are pretty solid.

I personally tend to take extra hand weapons and not bother with the IF/Lightarmor combo, but I've taken it before and it's at very least not a waste of points.

Dominic's haiku is amusing and pretty accurate.

dominic_carrillo
06-03-2007, 02:25
ogre magic is awesome nicky1311. you can turn ogres into trolls and there a missle that ignores armor. you're a douche

supanuno
06-03-2007, 23:44
Thanks for the replies so far guys, although I would've liked more insightful replies pertaining to which of my lists you like better and why. I also disagree with nicky, gut magic is awsome, it's why I'm taking 3 butchers.

Weapon
07-03-2007, 03:31
Thanks for the replies so far guys, although I would've liked more insightful replies pertaining to which of my lists you like better and why. I also disagree with nicky, gut magic is awsome, it's why I'm taking 3 butchers.

I think most people gave good replies, because the weak part of the army is the Giants, and people told you that. Its unfortunate that you bought the models already and "have" to use them, but they just aren't that good.

blahblahblah
08-03-2007, 00:03
I like your first list better (lotsa gut magic ;)) but, and I hate to sound like a broken record, for a tournament, I'd drop the giants and follow some of the advice we've already heard. I know you've already bought them and please remember there's nothing wrong with using them in a game I use them for fun, but for tourney play their just not as competitive. So if you're insistant on them, this is the last you'll hear about it from me, but most of us would recommend giving them a pass just for the one day.

Dasqueek-Master Assassin
08-03-2007, 02:45
Head on over to the ogrestronghold.com if you want some really good advice.

From my experience I would say youve started on the right path, but got kind of side tracked.
tyrant- perfect. But I wouldnt put to much on him(expectations wise). Everyone is scared of this guy with good reason.
Butcher 1(siege breaker/skull mantle)-This guy is so much fun it isnt even funny. (But even so I might consider dropping him)
Butcher 2(Bangstick/dispel scroll)- good here, the bangstick is the best magic item the ogre have
Butcher 3(sword of might/dispel scroll)- the sword is kind of useless. Lose it and get the halfling cookbook instead. Keep this guy covered and blast away. (or if you want more protection drop the book for another scroll)

Ironguts- I usually run them in units of 4. with a charcter that gives you a rank bonus.=good. This is the hammer unit. use them
Bulls-should be run in minimum units, with a bellower, and be use to bait and flee.(light armor is ok if you have extr points)
fighters-ogres alwas need ranks. Just make sure to keep them near the tyrant cause they will be needing his leadership.
Trappers- always a fun little unit.

Leadbelchers- are good at bait and flee, but can also be used to shoot and charge next round. ( make sure to have the bellower).

If ur stuck on the gianst go for 1, but almost indefinatly not 2. keep him near the general as they are not as good as the DOW giants.
Instead of the 2nd giant go for 2 gourgers. they are great at killing warmachines, handgunner units, lone characters (killing blow you say:rolleyes:)...

So here is a list I hope you might like:
Tyrant:Tyrant - Tenderizer, Wyrdstone Necklace, fistful of laurels, Luck Gnoblar
Butcher- bangstick, dispel scoll
Butcher- 2 dispel scrolls

3 Bulls- hand weapons/ironfirsts, bellower
4 Ironguts-Standard bearer w/LO gnoblar (tyrants unit)
3 Ironguts-Standard bearer
3 Ironguts-Standard bearer
20 fighters
20 fighters
8 trappers

2 leadbelchers-bellower
2 leadbelchers-bellower

2 gourgers
slave giant

what you think?

supanuno
08-03-2007, 04:14
Dasqueek/Blahblah - Thanks for the replies, when I meant more in depth this is what I meant. Man, you guys really are trying to talk me out of using the giants eh :). Unfortunately I know they're not the best choice but I have them so I'm gonna give them a try so just I'm trying to figure out the best way to use them - which by the way you guys are helping out with.

Alright I know I'm probably gonna get blasted for this, but it's worth a try so let me know what you guys think. If I run my giants side by side and have a battle standard close by, that would give me four rolls on ledearship 10 to stay in a fight if they lose it. I know it will most likely be modified but that still gives me FOUR tries at staying in combat which is pretty awsome in my opinion - no?

Dasqueek-Master Assassin
08-03-2007, 05:02
Yeah thats true. If you wanna run them like that put the B2B and make sure (Very important) that you screen the standard bearer from all magic and shooting.Thats alot of Vps if he dies.
In ogres its hard to have a competative army with more than 3 characters. so im thinkin it should be Tyrant, standard bearer(cant have a weapon if he is the BSB), and a butcher scroll caddy.

For the tyrant, If your willing to give up the fistfull of laurels, and put him on a more singular path, then give him longstrider.This will take his leadership away from the bulls and gnoblars, but instead makes you have a vaiable missle that is capable oftaking out units, monsters, and characters.
Or just stick him in the Ironguts unit and send them in the right general direction. But be warned most people will avoid this unit at all costs. because if they get into combat with it they are looking at 12 S6 attacks and 5 S7 attcks that do D3 wounds apiece.each guy gets their bull charge. Then you have a standard, and a rank bonus(assuming no one dies). This is honestly one of the hardest units to beat one on one in the game.

2 units of leadbelchers harassing the flanks is always nice.

If Im leaving anything out please help me out...

DaBrode
08-03-2007, 05:25

Someone needs to ban this guy. It's always text speak and bogus info with him. Terd burglar.

Word Bearer
08-03-2007, 15:13
I like the first list over the 2nd, but once again think that at least one Slave Giant needs to go.

3 Butchers seems overkill personally, even in a Tournament list I don't think Ogres suit going magic Heavy.

I'd drop a Butcher and try to fit in a Hunter with some Sabretusks. A Gorger (as almost everyone else has said) would be a great replacement for one of the Giants.