PDA

View Full Version : Converted Eldar Pathfinders WIP

Azroth
24-07-2005, 15:59
Just posting some quick WIP piccies of my girlfriends Eldar Pathfinders. She hates the original models, and wanted to make some Pathfinders with an original twist. They feature High Elf bodies and various scrounged equipment. All comments and constructive criticisms are welcome. Cheers.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4247/pathfindersquad0pc.th.jpg (http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pathfindersquad0pc.jpg) http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1300/pathfindersquadback0tx.th.jpg (http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pathfindersquadback0tx.jpg)

sigur
24-07-2005, 16:12
The poses are done very well although they look pretty much like posing for a photo. I've got a slight problem with the huge Tau rifles and their guardian helmets though.

Vberg
24-07-2005, 16:13
The models are very nice your GF seems to know her onions. But one question, why are they carrying Tau weaponry?

tzeentchgiant
24-07-2005, 16:17
Very nice, can you arrange them into the Charlie's angel's pose, I think they look like they could.

Anyway, good work, I love how the tau fits in so well, very original.

TG

warpoet
24-07-2005, 17:41
Now that's just silly.

Frans
24-07-2005, 17:45
they look good, I can live with the Tau guns but I feel they're a bit too uncloaked for Pathfinders.

athamas
24-07-2005, 18:06
They are really really cool IMO, they look great...!!!!

ArtificerArmour
24-07-2005, 18:12
unfortunately i'm a person who believes a gun can be too big. nice conversions and all and nice lengthening, but the guns just don't do it fo me.

x-esiv-4c
24-07-2005, 18:12
Poses are really well done! Keep up the great work.

Punk_in_Drublic
24-07-2005, 18:24
They're cool and different. And I'm all for being creative and moving beyond the styles associated with the different armies of both 40k and WFB to create something of your own. Also, the GS work is very smooth. I have nothing constructive to add, except for doing them justice by going all out on the bases.

Also, post back when they're painted.

LAter,

-Punk

Heero-Severus
24-07-2005, 20:08
I really love these. Very well done. The poses are done real good, they arnt ur typical action shots, so any gripes about them being "too uncloaked" go out the window as i cant envision them walking around in cameoline 24/7 (or whatever time rotation they work to :P) top work, i think the painting should be very careful, otherwise the tau rifles wont look very eldar :)

Post em up when ur finished

Court Jester
24-07-2005, 21:35
There is something very cool about these figures. I am not sure they feel very "Eldar" but they rock none the less. I like the huge guns, but I am a sucker for cool looking models.

Serpent
24-07-2005, 21:40
The work is quite good, but the Tau weapons need some work to look more "Eldaresque". As it looks now, three Guardians sport one Rail Rifle each...

Serpent

BigJim
24-07-2005, 23:38
I love the weapons. The rifles the current Eldar carry are just pathetic, more like toothpicks than powerful long-rifles, & something about a laser sniper-rifle just doesn't sit with me.
Perhaps a bit of the Tau detailing (the circular icons) could go, but the size, squared-off corners & strappiness works perfectly to my eyes.

That's the kind of weapon you fear being pinned by, not just a few laser-tag LEDs, like we have now.
I'll definately be stealing this idea of you don't mind. ;)

The poses look spot on, & look as cool as the funky Scorp-ninja (the old ones) & dancing Banshee poses that tend to mark out the Eldar.
I think you (or her) could do something nicer with the heads, I don't mind them wearing helmets, but looking at what she's done so far it seems like a bit of a missed oppertunity to just plonk helmets on all of them.

The aladdin robes would look daft on most other models, but the kind of formless, baggy clothing here works well & is pretty much what you'd expect from Eldar rangers, since they're more about camoflauge than armour & tight body-suits.
Personally I'd have modelled one of them under his cloak, or at least wearing it, but it's not a problem or anything. I like the GS work, especially the collar on the third guy, very nice (reminds me of a Final Fantasy character).

Lovely work, I like these. :)

sigur
24-07-2005, 23:57
...time for me to spring into action. ;) Note: In the following I'm not exclusively talking about the miniatures presented in this thread. If you like your models that way, noone can change it.

Eldar weapons look good as they are. They're ment to look slim and gracious, just like Eldar themselves and decorated with gems (which also fulfil arcane purposes). Those Tau rifles look pretty off in my opinion and it's absolutely not necessary that everyone in the 40k universe wields a grotesquely huge rifle that looks more like some fashionable thing than like it should be, according to the style of the army and the fluff. Eldar have pretty much mastered Laser technology and their weapons do look like they look. Eldar don't look "techy" or "mecha", they never did as they are so advanced. Generally the 40k universe isn't a techy one, it's a fantasy setting full of myth and magic.

Sniper Rifles in 40k (all except for the Executioner rifle IIRC) work with poisoned needles and a laser pulse fired shortly after one another. That's how it is until GW decides to change it to be RL-equivalents or whatever some Sniper Rifle enthusiasts want it to be. That's it for now. Sorry for ranting, but I'm very much into Eldar and not very much into sniper rifles (I'm not talking about rules here). :)

Cyberblade
25-07-2005, 00:31
Hey, I just joined this forum figuring I ought to seeing as it's my pathfinders that's been posted. Azroth suggested posting the pics to get some feedback and I must say I hadn't expect this much in such a short time.
I've posted pics of them a few other places and it seems that it's the rifles that most people either love or hate. Personally I'm very pleased with how they turned out. The tau symbol has been smoothed out with greenstuff and I plan to paint the circular pattern so to resemble gems to tie the models in with the rest of my army. I'm working on a few more pathfinders but these are the only ones I got finished so far.
The reason why I've used helmets on all of them is simple, one - I suck at paiting skin and two - I like the helmets, unlike the spare eldar heads I had laying around which where from the guardian sprue and which were the only other alternative I had when I started making these.

-C-

tzeentchgiant
25-07-2005, 00:34
Do you have any plans for a larger unit, maybe with more acurate Charlie's Angel's poses?

TG

Cyberblade
25-07-2005, 00:36
I have plans to make a larger unit but not with the Charlie's Angels poses I'm afraid ;)

-C-

Snotteef
25-07-2005, 00:47
They are simply amazing. If Rackham did 40k, this is probably what it would look like. I can't wait to see them painted.

Eversor
25-07-2005, 01:29
:chrome: I'm with Sigur on this one. Good work, but way off on the concept of the guns. I do like the concept with the guardian head and high collar though. But heavier cloaks and rifles that look like an Eldar built them.

Convert some longrifles from shuriken catapults and/or old Eldar lasguns instead. It'll look much better.

If Rackham did 40k, this is probably what it would look like. I can't wait to see them painted.
I agree. And thank the Emperor that they don't ;) Cool does not always equate good.

Orcdom
25-07-2005, 02:28
if you would go with typical eldar rifles try the 2nd ed lasguns and just us a little larger diameter barrel of plastruct and maybe an imperial muzzel tip. to get the eldar feel with a little more bulk.
even the tau stock with maybe a eldar barrel, and add a scope too would look sweet.

Steve

BigJim
25-07-2005, 15:11
Sniper Rifles in 40k (all except for the Executioner rifle IIRC) work with poisoned needles and a laser pulse fired shortly after one another. That's how it is until GW decides to change it to be RL-equivalents or whatever some Sniper Rifle enthusiasts want it to be. That's it for now. Sorry for ranting, but I'm very much into Eldar and not very much into sniper rifles (I'm not talking about rules here). :)

Don't be sorry, I see your pov perfectly, & agree that yeah, GW has always maintained that's how sniper rifles work in 40K.
However, that's partially the problem for me; Everyone uses the same tech.

Ratlings, IG snipers, Marine Scouts, Eldar rangers, and Pathfinders, it just seems to harken back dangerously close to the days where every race used either Bolters or Lasguns exclusively, & personally I like a bit more variation.

I see your point about the weaps being slim & elegant (& I understand you're not talking only about these models), and to an extent I agree. I love the image of the Eldar warrior who lives with his eapon, who treats it like some master violin player might treat his or her instrument, but at the moment they do just look like Lasguns imho.

These weapons just scream style to me, and that what lifts Eldar models above the others to my eyes. Of course its all a matter of opinion, so I'm not trying to persuade anyone, just give my point of veiw. :)

maraxis
25-07-2005, 17:39
Interesting but why extended Tau Pulse Rilfes???? If you can get your hands on the old Eldar (from v.2) weapon sprews, there are las rifles on there with the addition of a stock look exactly like the sniper rilfes the pathfinders now have. . . IMHO using them would be a better choice.

Snotteef
25-07-2005, 19:06
I would just like to make it clear that I LIKE the rifles. Don't change a thing. Just because these people don't think eldar long rifles should look like that, doesn't mean that yours cannot.

They look good and *gasp* original. I know that we, as human beings, have a tendency to fear anything that doesn't meet with our narrow preconceptions, but give the girl a break. They look good, whether they meet your notion of an Eldar long rifle or not!

wilting_laughter
25-07-2005, 19:10
Wow those are really cool.

I don't have a problem with the rifles, just tone down the Tau detailing and add some eldar detailing.

Nid
25-07-2005, 22:15
Heh. PATHFINDERS. I GET IT ZOMG LAFF.

Where's their Devilfish?

I really don't think the guns fit in at all with an Eldar army. Maybe if you were using them as Xenos allies in a Tau army.

Orcdom
25-07-2005, 22:57
i dont think you get it at all.
pathfinders are a elites choice for altioc eldar.
Steve

Nid
25-07-2005, 23:21
Pathfinders. A play on words. Both armies can take them. And its Eldar and Tau on one model. Obviously it went over your head too.

Orcdom
26-07-2005, 00:47
no, nothing like your post.

the rail rifels do look good on them but there is nothing in the tau line that should be with the eldar.
what would look good it take the stalk of the gun and continue it with the fore arm piece but about where the barrell should start being only the barrell change it to a round las type barrell.
the eldar are going to stick with thier design.
Steve

LostTemplar
26-07-2005, 00:48
I only have a couple of questions.

A) What models did she used as a basis? I might be doing something of the sort, but with different weapons. I'll be aiming at giant crossbows.

B) Can she marry me? :O

Shuya
26-07-2005, 00:53
I Really like them, especially the rifles, dont change them, there good.

b4d0m3n
26-07-2005, 01:52
I am impressed. I love those rifles, I think they work. They'll need a bit more detailing, I think, to seperate them from Tau imagery, but you are doing an admirable job. I like what you've done with this, the flow of material is damn nice, and the posing... well, let's just say you make me jealous. Keep it up and don't listen to the dissenters. :) I'm all for your awesome conversions.

Shuya
26-07-2005, 02:05
gems, they need gems

leeoaks
26-07-2005, 03:49
people must be going mad! who cares if the guns arent eldar looking! if i'm correct the eldar snipers are nomadic, as far as i'm concerned if they are and i'm not talking complete rubbish, then they would surely use anything they come across! but hey who cares! if you wipped them out in a game with me, then you'd win cause i wouldn't bother concentrating on the game! i hope your paintjob is as clean s the conversion...bravo!

The boyz
26-07-2005, 11:05
Wow I really like them, I especially like thier posses, I like the one with his rifle slung over his shoulder that one looks well good.

Cyberblade
26-07-2005, 19:06
Lost Templar:
A: the bodies are taken from the high elf archers
B: I think Azroth would be kinda disappointed

Shuya:
The circles on the guns will be painted to resemble gems

And to everybody else, thanks for all the feedback :D

-C-

Jonas
26-07-2005, 22:50
Nice job, keep up the good work. ;)

mirakel_jocke
29-07-2005, 10:33
Nice!

I dig the conversion and the guns look fantastic!

All hail the big guns! :chrome:

But maybe some more gems on the models would looks good...

/Mirakel_Jocke

Malakai
29-07-2005, 13:12
Your girlfriend is quite skilled. My girl is just starting the hobby but she already has a fascination with converting miniatures (I usually avoid it at all costs). I'm going to have to show these fellas to her to give her some inspiration, "See girls rock at this hobby when they try hard enough" or some such ;)

Malakai

Sephiroth
29-07-2005, 14:11
I like. Nice conversions, much better than their official metal counterparts.

However, I now have this mental image of a bunch of Eldar Rangers jumping a Tau Fire Warrior patrol and making off with their pulse rifles. ;)

Eldar always wanted Tau weaponry, just too snooty to admit it! :D

self biased
29-07-2005, 15:45
yeah, tau are the new eldar.

Easy E
29-07-2005, 19:05
Good use of the High Elf parts. Looks great.

Now if you could do something for the Dark Eldar..............

Daethelus
05-11-2014, 22:39
Good use of the High Elf parts. Looks great.

Now if you could do something for the Dark Eldar..............

Like what? ...like converting some Dark Eldar using Fantasy elf parts mixed with Dark Eldar bits? hmmmmm....?