PDA

View Full Version : Wraithguard Blister ...

TwilightOdyssey
05-03-2007, 15:15
Does the Wraithguard blister contain a single Wraithguard? I can't tell from GW's online store ...

Thanks in advance!

lord_blackfang
05-03-2007, 15:30
Yes. Expensive, aren't they?

Wraithbored
05-03-2007, 15:33
Does the Wraithguard blister contain a single Wraithguard? I can't tell from GW's online store ...

Thanks in advance!
Get them off ebay I got lucky once and got 10 of em for a very good price(around 30 pounds).:)

TwilightOdyssey
05-03-2007, 15:33
Yes. Expensive, aren't they?

All I can say is ... wow.

I was really hoping I could have a unit that wasn't T3 in my army!

I still think the idea of having 2 units of 10 Wraithguard, all with a Spiritseer, taken as a troop choice would be insanely fun. But that would be something like $350 USD for 2 troop choices!!

Arhalien
05-03-2007, 15:36
Get jetbikes and have bike mounted HQs :p

TwilightOdyssey
05-03-2007, 15:54
As a side point ... do you think I could field Wraithguard and still be keeping with the fluff for my Alaitoc force?

Wraithbored
05-03-2007, 15:59
As a side point ... do you think I could field Wraithguard and still be keeping with the fluff for my Alaitoc force?

Well I guess in a pinch they'd rouse 1 unit of wraithguard. But wraithguard are not fluff for alaitoc. Besides what's wrong with rangers and pathfinders? They're briliant troops choices, back em up wtih 3 or more Warwalkers and you'll have an insane ammount of pinning, anti tank and anti infantry weaponry.:D

Also for extry OOmph get a unit of warpspiders with an exarch who is equipped with a spinneret rifle for even more pinning goodness. And for the HQ get a farseer with fortune and guide or guide and doom. And an Autarch on a jetbike with a reaper launcher, not just because of mobility and firepower but also because of his master strategist rule which is invaluable in many scenarios.

Personally I don't even field Farseer as they are so damn high in points costs, I rather just field an autarch and put my points in troops and elites.

Prince Facestab
05-03-2007, 16:01

Sure! Alaitoc uses wraithguard, just not extensively as they use rangers and pathfinders.

Craftworlds are pretty big; I'm sure every craftworld has at least some of every unit.

TwilightOdyssey
05-03-2007, 16:19
I just purchased a unit of Fire Dragons, and will be getting Warp Spiders next. I have two Autarchs, one with Hawk wings, one with a Warp Gen; First came I used the Warp Gen, I rolled a double and the Autarch was dead. So much for the great General! LOL

Wraithbored
05-03-2007, 16:25
I just purchased a unit of Fire Dragons, and will be getting Warp Spiders next. I have two Autarchs, one with Hawk wings, one with a Warp Gen; First came I used the Warp Gen, I rolled a double and the Autarch was dead. So much for the great General! LOL

Dear oh dear that is bad luck but it doesn't always happen! ;) I always prefer giving my autarch either wings or a jetbike, if he is bike mounted he doesn't get any facial wear though.

scarletsquig
05-03-2007, 16:37

Sure.. what a lot of people forget about alaitoc is that it is not simply a "ranger craftworld", but it's a very authoritarian craftworld that dictates strict adherance to the path.. which leads many of them to turn to the path of the outcast.

So, yeah, it's fine with the fluff. Alaitoc has a fully functioning well organised military, it's just that it can be supplimented with the help of the huge amounts of rangers that have left the craftworld to travel.

TwilightOdyssey
05-03-2007, 17:01
Thanks for the extra fluff, scarletsquig!

The Dark One
05-03-2007, 17:43
on the topic of wraithguard, do you think 90 is a little to much

Spaceraider
05-03-2007, 17:46
Do you mean that you have 90 to field at one time... How can you possibly own that many?

TwilightOdyssey
05-03-2007, 18:01
Do you mean that you have 90 to field at one time... How can you possibly own that many?
Heh ... a full FOC with Wraithguard. About $1500USD with tax or shipping. Ouch!

Spaceraider
05-03-2007, 18:04
I couldn't even bring myself to do the maths on that one...

The models are great but the cost is unbelievable, especially when you HAVE to field ten for them to count as troops.

(Evil)Ash
05-03-2007, 18:28
If you have to pay the full price anyway, I would go for these (http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=304624&orignav=300814&ParentID=254840&GameNav=300808) if the scale is right (what I think it is).

greetz,:evilgrin:

Spaceraider
05-03-2007, 18:30
That's certainly an alternative, I'm not a fan of those models though.

Arhalien
05-03-2007, 18:39
Nice alternative (Evil) Ash! Even if the scale is a bit off they look so good it may not matter.
Does anyone out there have any of those models that can show us the scale compared to wraithguard?

TwilightOdyssey
05-03-2007, 18:42
Those models are enticing!

Kyrolon
05-03-2007, 19:40
Just a thought on Eldar fluff and the various craftworld lists. I tend to use my Alaitoc as whatever type I feel like that day. I am not going to go out and paint a whole new army if I decide to use a lot of Jetbike troops, or Wraithguard troops etc.

As for justification, the various "types" of Eldar army come from the old epic Space Marine game. In that game the main Eldar detatchments were as follows (IIRC) Guardian Detachment (became Ulthwe'), Ranger Detachment (Alaitoc), Wind Rider Detachment (Saim Hann), Spirit Host Detachment (Iyanden), and Aspect/Swordwind Detachment (Biel Tan). Within the game after choosing the main army company, the associated craftworld received one free detachment of their given type. In 3rd edition they expanded this to make them even more specialized.

The point is that all the craftworlds had all of the detachments, so Alaitoc would have spirit host detachments, and wind rider detachments (a detachment BTW is about the size of a 40K army) but the bulk of their military would be Ranger forces backed up by the other detachments.

~Dan

Onisuzume
05-03-2007, 19:42
Yeah, but it does cost a bit more. (10/each for the titans compared to 8 for a wraithguard) Though I guess the improvement in the model's appearance would make up for that.

Arhalien
05-03-2007, 19:48
It's just a pity my craftworld fluff forbids wraith-constructs :(

The Dark One
05-03-2007, 20:10
the 90 wraith guard are for my 4000-5000pt army for Apocalypse. i only got 5 at the moment

Arhalien
05-03-2007, 20:12
Not far to go then :p

The Dark One
05-03-2007, 20:25
by the time the book comes out i will have them all (hopefully by july), maybe even painted

Arhalien
05-03-2007, 20:26
Erk, that's scary :)

The Dark One
05-03-2007, 20:28
that is almost the entire army. i can't wait for people to say it isn't themed

Arhalien
05-03-2007, 20:34
IT'S NOT THEMED! UR ARMY IS TEH CEHES!!!!!111ONE

You see, you didn't have to wait long :D

The Dark One
05-03-2007, 20:37
thank you, my day is now complete:)

Karhedron
05-03-2007, 20:51
I have two Autarchs, one with Hawk wings, one with a Warp Gen; First came I used the Warp Gen, I rolled a double and the Autarch was dead. So much for the great General! LOL
That is why you should always get a squad of Warp Spiders to accompany an Autarch if you are using a Jump generator. That and the fact that any unit that can fire 2 S6 shots a turn and move twice is good in my book. ;)

Does anyone out there have any of those models that can show us the scale compared to wraithguard?
No piccies handy unfortunately (although oddly enough I was considering using my Wraithguard to stand in for Revnants in my Epic army :p) but I think the Revnants are a little smaller than Wraithguard. Not really a problem but remember there are only 2 poses. There are 3 different Wraithguard bodies and either 3 or 4 different heads meaning you can put together a 10 man unit with no duplication if you are careful. With Revnants you might start to notive the simmilarity. ;)

Onisuzume
05-03-2007, 21:50
No piccies handy unfortunately (although oddly enough I was considering using my Wraithguard to stand in for Revnants in my Epic army :p) but I think the Revnants are a little smaller than Wraithguard. Not really a problem but remember there are only 2 poses. There are 3 different Wraithguard bodies and either 3 or 4 different heads meaning you can put together a 10 man unit with no duplication if you are careful. With Revnants you might start to notive the simmilarity. ;)
There's at least 4 poses iirc. The 2 shown in the previous link, as well as these two (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/QUATERMASTERS_STORE_TITANS_31.html). :p
And besides, you can probably cut the arms off at the elbows, and swap them with those from the other model. Maybe you can swap the heads as well.

(Evil)Ash
06-03-2007, 00:51
personally I don't get why GW hasn't made these in plastic. I mean they're quite populair and they did bother to release Tau Stealth suits in plastic, which are only an elite choise. I think they both have roughly the same mass, so boxes of three plastic Wraithguards would be fine. but on the other hand they make all kinds of new plastic HQs these days (also for WHFB) but couldn't do it for the Autarch :rolleyes:

Biff Gunhed
06-03-2007, 02:45
I'm considering using Wood Elf Dryads as Wraithguard. Admittedly they look nothing alike, but with the right paint job and some converting maybe they could pass as Wraithguards with a different look, like a more feral, earthy look.

TheWarSmith
06-03-2007, 02:47
why they haven't remade these in plastic OR metal is beyond me.

nightgant98c
06-03-2007, 05:06
I actually rather like the models as they are. I can picture a squad of waithguard marching in perfect unison, with their guns all at the same angle. Plastic would be nice though.

Sakura
06-03-2007, 12:03
There's at least 4 poses iirc. The 2 shown in the previous link, as well as these two (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/QUATERMASTERS_STORE_TITANS_31.html). :p
And besides, you can probably cut the arms off at the elbows, and swap them with those from the other model. Maybe you can swap the heads as well.

There are only 3 poses and 3 heads.
Their is a subtle difference between the 2 with the gun pointing down.

one is being his knee forward on one side and the other is slightly squatting.

If their are 4 poses I will be pissed off as I never got a 4th pose in all 15 I bought!

Sildani
06-03-2007, 13:24
No, there are 3 poses in all 30 I have, don't worry.

Onisuzume
06-03-2007, 13:43
There are only 3 poses and 3 heads.
Their is a subtle difference between the 2 with the gun pointing down.

one is being his knee forward on one side and the other is slightly squatting.

If their are 4 poses I will be pissed off as I never got a 4th pose in all 15 I bought!
I was refering to the revenant titans... (both epic and forgeworld ones)
That makes at least 4 poses. (I think the forgeworld ones are posable)
And with the epic ones you can cut off the arms at the elbows and swap them. Dito for the heads. (cut at the neck then, not elbow >_>)

Arhalien
06-03-2007, 13:44
Hmm, I';d really like to do this! I may just get some of those models anyway, even if i don;t field them.

TwilightOdyssey
06-03-2007, 14:54
Well, my own idea for doing this was inspired by the White Dwarf with the Necromancer on the cover, which came out the same month as the new Tau Codex. I was reading the battle report a couple of nights ago, and one of the players had an all-Terminator army. I thought, hmm, how cool would it be to have an army that was all-Wraithguard with a couple of Wraithlords thrown in for good measure?

Arhalien
06-03-2007, 14:55
See the old Iyanden list :)

TwilightOdyssey
06-03-2007, 14:59
See the old Iyanden list :)
Yeah, Craftworld Codex RIP. If cost were not a serious setback, I would be ordering 20 Wraithguard right now!!

Pootleflump
06-03-2007, 15:11
Sure.. what a lot of people forget about alaitoc is that it is not simply a "ranger craftworld", but it's a very authoritarian craftworld that dictates strict adherance to the path.. which leads many of them to turn to the path of the outcast.

So, yeah, it's fine with the fluff. Alaitoc has a fully functioning well organised military, it's just that it can be supplimented with the help of the huge amounts of rangers that have left the craftworld to travel.

The Gap year Craftworld ;)

phil
06-03-2007, 15:11
If anyone has looked on Ebay and is interested in purchasing 25, i have 25 for sale in a Lot. I've converted about half to make their own poses, cut repositioned and pinned the heads. also cut the tabbard from the legs to make them look less static and more on the move, kinda like the new dire avengeer look, flowing in the wind. I've also shaved down the bumps on the heads to that you can make a smooth surface on the face to paint freehand. I will post a Link to the pic when I get home. I've done business on a few differant sites by just setting up a private Ebay auction if you are wondering how i do this. I ship to the US AU and UK. post reply or PM me.

Shallowain
06-03-2007, 16:53
I was refering to the revenant titans... (both epic and forgeworld ones)
That makes at least 4 poses. (I think the forgeworld ones are posable)
And with the epic ones you can cut off the arms at the elbows and swap them. Dito for the heads. (cut at the neck then, not elbow >_>)

you realise, the FW ones are in 40k scale, don't you?

Jo Bennett
06-03-2007, 17:27
Slightly OT, does anyone know how the wraithguard compare to Inquisitor models for scale, if they're not too far off then I would be very tempted to convert a squad of dire avengers or guardians from them.

Onisuzume
06-03-2007, 19:49
you realise, the FW ones are in 40k scale, don't you?
I know, it was a joke after all. (I did put a :p behind it)

Still, I guess it would be nice for the army: Wraithguard, Wraithlord, and a bigger "wraithguard" titan.

Arhalien
06-03-2007, 19:52
Would the other Eldar epic titans (can't remember their names) work as wraithlord maybe? That way you could get a few boxes and bases of infantry and have 2 armies for different game systems sharing a lot of the models :)

Onisuzume
06-03-2007, 22:18
Would the other Eldar epic titans (can't remember their names) work as wraithlord maybe? That way you could get a few boxes and bases of infantry and have 2 armies for different game systems sharing a lot of the models :)
I guess they could.
Personally I'd go for the Phantom, and not the Warlock.