PDA

View Full Version : Some Empire questions concerning detachments and such.

ale0x
06-03-2007, 15:40
I'm putting together a 2000pt. Empire army with a strong Cult of Morr theme, so I've got lots of flagellants, two units of knights of Morr with a grandmaster, a warrior priest, etc etc. No artillery, and the only shooting is two units of 10 handgunners. My two main infantry blocks are a 25 man unit of halberds and a 25 man unit of swordsman, both with full command. As far as detachments go, I was thinking of doing two units of 12 free company each, to fit with my crazy militia theme.

Now I've been told by a few people that I should swap one of the free company units with archers for screening purposes, but I almost feel like it doesn't fit, since the army is very light on shooting and I don't really like archers...is it feasible to just have two detachments of free company, and leave the shooting to my two units of 10 handgunners?

Also, a side question...should I put my warrior priest with Icon of Magnus in with the Swordsmen or the Halberdiers?

Hywel
06-03-2007, 15:54
Easy answer first: Priest in the halberdiers. The re-rolls to hit from his hatred will be more beneficial to them than to the swordsmen.

As for the detachment issue... I don't feel that archer detachments sacrifice your theme much at all, and we're only talking a detachment of 5 archers, they're hardly going to become a force in the shooting phase.

However, if you want to keep the free company, I'd not suggest 2 detachments of 12 for each unit. I'd probably go for one detachment of 10-12 and one detachment of the minimum 5 for each unit. The larger group will be your classic countercharge/charge support detachment whereas those small 5 man units of free company are great throwaway units for screening but also for charge redirection - something the skirmishing archers cannot achieve.

Mephistofeles
06-03-2007, 20:28
I would say that you don't need the archers, but if you really want them, drop both free company detachments down to 10, and use the 20 freed points together with decreasing one unit of handgunners to 6 (using them as detach for the big unit of handgunners) to get 6 archers as a detachment for the swordsmen.

Commodus Leitdorf
06-03-2007, 20:56
The Archer Detachments aren't really nescessary, but archer screens are probably the best tactic the Empire has that no one uses, especially under the rules of the new edition. Archers aren't really there for shooting, but for charge re-direction, if you dont wanna use em dont worry, your militia detachments are good enough.

And your Priest would be better in the Halberdiers, re-rolling those str4 attacks can be very useful.

blahblahblah
08-03-2007, 14:20
The Archer Detachments aren't really nescessary, but archer screens are probably the best tactic the Empire has that no one uses, especially under the rules of the new edition. Archers aren't really there for shooting, but for charge re-direction, if you dont wanna use em dont worry, your militia detachments are good enough.

And your Priest would be better in the Halberdiers, re-rolling those str4 attacks can be very useful.

:D you're right about the archer detachments, never thought of them for that purpose, but they'd work really well :D

Hywel
08-03-2007, 15:42
I was under the impression that skirmishers form to the alignment of the charging unit and not vice versa. This makes them substantially worse at redirecting charges.

Am I missing something?

Von Wibble
08-03-2007, 15:52
No, that's right. But a cheap 40pt unit can still get around difficult terrain easily, and can still restrict charges merely by fleeing as a charge reaction. If you don't have pistoliers (!!) then archers can do the job of harrassment quite well.

Of course, free company can also do this, and will redirectchargers. But the archers get a little shooting that can allow them to achieve something in any game, for just a few points more.