PDA

View Full Version : Vc vs Anti magic Empire Army

FatOlaf
07-03-2007, 13:51
Right then, I'm fighting my friend's 7th Ed empire army next Tuesday.
it's only 1500 pts because of time restrictions.

I've faced his empire now maybe 8-9 times over last 2 months but only once with VC and that was Empire and Dwarf gunline, which I hasten to say, I massacred!
But now he doesn't go the all gun route anymore and his tactics and lists are improving.
The big problem I have is how anit magic he will be, he I reckon will have 2 warrior priests and a lvl 2 mage with that rod that stores DD.
So do I go all out direct CC, BK, GG thralls etc
or if I go a magic zombie list, what do you think I should use, i just cant see me winning the magic phase unless I go Necrarch or something.
His list will prob comprise
the 3 above heroes
2 big units of swordsmen with small detachments
1-2 units of knights
Always takes his mortar and maybe he will take a cannon
And he now has greatswords and Flagellants (he actually borrows my models for that unit, cheaky sod).

Any advice welcome....

Frankly
08-03-2007, 07:34
What do you usually take and units do you have that can be taken.

dominic_carrillo
08-03-2007, 08:23
i got an idea, dont take any magic!!! just make a list to hand out red-ass beatdowns!!!

FatOlaf
08-03-2007, 11:54
What do you usually take and units do you have that can be taken.

Dont usually make -2K lists so cant really say and I have everything available

i got an idea, dont take any magic!!! just make a list to hand out red-ass beatdowns!!!

One of my thoughts, obviously I have to take one Necro at least but then what line shall I go with to maximise my Thralls, I usually take VC in 2K+ but am wondering if there are any other nice linecombos?

Hywel
08-03-2007, 15:29
In less than 2000pts, the highest Ld empire have access to is a paltry 8.

Stick a wraith on a horse and send him scampering around the empire lines with a banshee. For even more leadership-based mayhem give him the Rod of Flaming Death.

Concentrate on neutralising his mage and this pair will run riot for the entire game.

Iziuth
08-03-2007, 16:31
Take two level 2 necromancers and get the black periapt and the power familiar, this will give you 8 power dice, as he won't be casting much any way. Also add a power stone. This way you will still outclass him in the magic phase. Then take a thrall, strigoi or blood dragon to beat the $%%^ out of his warrior priest. This should work out fine.

Oh on a side note,a banshee will do great against knight!!

dominic_carrillo
08-03-2007, 19:43
in my army i take a Count, 2xnecros and a wight. this is standard, and if i feel like i can get an edge over my oppenent in the magic phase, i swap out the wight for another necromancer, but with vampire counts, their fighting prowess is poweful enough to win games without it.

Hywel
08-03-2007, 20:51
I think his opponent would be rightfully indignant if he took a count to a 1500pt battle though. :p

dominic_carrillo
08-03-2007, 22:55
well sorry, ive only been playing 2250 pts for the last 3 years.

FatOlaf
09-03-2007, 12:09
Take two level 2 necromancers and get the black periapt and the power familiar, this will give you 8 power dice, as he won't be casting much any way. Also add a power stone.

Not sure he will have two priests and a wizard with that PP storing rod, so he will have on average 7 DD plus scrolls, not sure if I can really beat him and whether it would be better to spend the points else where and let him waste his on anti magic..

I think his opponent would be rightfully indignant if he took a count to a 1500pt battle though. :p

Oh I wish I could though! ;)

dominic_carrillo
09-03-2007, 15:57
Not sure he will have two priests and a wizard with that PP storing rod, so he will have on average 7 DD plus scrolls, not sure if I can really beat him and whether it would be better to spend the points else where and let him waste his on anti magic..

i would be better if you spent the points on other things and let him waste his own on magic defense. the beauty of the VC army is that, unlike the TKs, your army doesnt have to revolve around the magic phase.

FatOlaf
09-03-2007, 16:46
Well that seems to be my plan now.... all out CC ..