PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Slaaneshi cavalry army...

Your Mum Rang
07-03-2007, 15:15
...help! I've not played Chaos for a good long while and need some help.

What units form the bread and butter of such a list?

What are the hitting units availible?

What support units work best?

Would an Exalted on Chariot with Bindings of Slaanesh be useful?

Thank'ee all!

Hywel
07-03-2007, 16:41
What units form the bread and butter of such a list?

Well, it's a slaaneshi cavalry army, so I'd say slaaneshi knights are a good place to start. ;) They're rather expensive though, so you'll probably only be looking at one or two units. I find with a cavalry army that you can't really think of things in terms of 'bread and butter', your units will need specific roles.

What are the hitting units availible?

Well aside from your knights you have a wealth of options in the chaos list.

Chariots are a decent investment. In a cavalry list they may get left behind and isolated but I still like to take a pair of them instead of a second knight unit. They work very well in tandem but also have the option of combining charges with some of your other units, augmenting less effective units to bring them up to par.

Your other heavy hitters will be found in the BoC book. Anything big and armed with a great weapon counts! Personally I use minotaurs. They're reasonably cheap, pack a punch and can more or less keep up. 3D6" pursuit move is also great to stop them getting delayed. Lack of overrun is less great...
Ogres are another option, but really, if you're going for great weapons (which you should when looking for a shock unit) you're better served by minotaurs.
Dragon Ogres are probably your best bet though if you can afford them. They don't really need their praises to be sung, they're devastatingly hard. The S7 making short work of chariots and armour is of particular use to a cavalry army as you'll struggle with both types of unit.

What support units work best?

In a cavalry army you need screening elements and things to remove rank bonuses.
Hounds can do both but are considerably better suited to the first, I'd not look to these guys for flanking. They are absolutely essential though. They can redirect charges, screen from shooting and frustrate your opponent in the deployment phase. They'll allow you to delay deploying your prize units till the locations of the enemy big units/guns are apparent.

For slaanesh, you needn't look any further than mounted daemonettes for your flanking duties. They're expensive but worth every penny in my book. They won't panic, they'll get there in double-quick time and they can hold their own against a surprising array of enemy units with their 3 attacks each. The reduction of the enemy's leadership is also essentially a warbanner that kicks in once you've already won, so breaking small units quickly is something they can do very well.

The budget option is marauder horse. They don't come with all the extras of daemonettes but they're about half price and still do the essential job of removing enemy rank bonus. 6 with flails and a musician is a cheap and effective unit. Well worth taking at least one such unit.

Those are the 'essentials', your other support units will vary according to your personal preferences, your regular opponents and simply what you like to use.
Personally I like to take a unit of furies for march blocking and war machine pestering. The 5+ ward save and immune to psychology makes them quite likely to get there (well, as far as flyers go).

Spawn can be very handy indeed and can really make their mark if they manage to get personal with a large S3 unit. Unless the enemy unit has lots of attacks or luck, they can tie it up for ages. They effectively have a 360 LOS as well so can deal with those pesky skirmishers...

Which brings me on to the beastherd, my favourite support unit of them all. There's nothing they can't do to some extent. They can guard your backfield, kick the snot out of most enemy skirmishers, ensure terrain pieces don't become gaps in your line and can provide a respectable number of attacks and some static CR in any combat (sorely lacking in a cavalry army). Best of all is that they're dirt cheap. 8 gor and 12 ungor with full command is a mere 139pts and you'll always find a use for them.

Would an Exalted on Chariot with Bindings of Slaanesh be useful?

Try it and find out, it's an item I've never used. I'd say you're better off putting the chap on a steed of slaanesh. It's cheapish, fast, looks awesome and seems to scare an undue number of people. I think it's the 5th ed veterans with dire memories of suspiciously fast and alone characters having 'nam like flashbacks. :p

Hope this helps!

Your Mum Rang
07-03-2007, 16:45
Wow. Greatly appreciate all that work!

My thinking with the chariot is that he is a character hunter who doubles as a unit breaker. He can challenge enemy champions or wizards and gain overkill (hopefully) and then the chariot takes a dent out of the infantry.

I'd have to try it tbh.

Briohmar
08-03-2007, 19:14
With Slaanesh, don't forget about magic. For my 2K army I run 4 Chosen Knights with full command and Rapturous standard, and they carry my exalted with them. I have 5 regular knights with champion, and a mounted L2 sorceror with spell familiar and dispell scroll. Then I have two units of 5 marauder horsemen one with flails and one with spears, both with musician, and spears with a champion. 5 hounds, 6 furies, 6 mounted 'nettes, another sorceror with power familiar on a chariot, another chariot, and two fiends. All of this gives me fast, flexible, mostly immune to psych, 5 hard hitters, 2 unbreakables, and some nasty magic when it works.

Hywel
08-03-2007, 20:49
Yes, a very good point Briohmar. The slaaneshi magic lore is very effective and very well suited to supporting a cavalry list. Of course, the point investment to access it in any great degree is significant, but certainly worthy of thought.

Blissful Throes speaks for itself really doesn't it. It's short ranged and nasty, ergo a sorceror with speed is the best place for it - excellent enws for the cavalry army.

Luxurious Torment is marvellous. Knights are a good target for it on your side of the fence as they are rather resilient to the damaging side-effects, likewise your multi-wounded, high toughness gribblies. It is also a delight on certain enemy units to force charges and cause some minor damage. The fact it is effectively a remain in play spell without the negatives associated with that spell type is very handy indeed.
Essentially it can manipulate the enemies movement phase or boost your combat phase = awesome for the cavalry army.

Delusions is another one that speaks for itself. How useful is it for a cavalry army to be able to send the enemy's tarpit unit trotting off in the wrong direction, or to get those 'move-or-shoot' handgunners on a pointless march. Not to mention forcing ill-advised advances towards your shock units or moving hidden things into your charge arcs...

Torture I'm not so overwhelmed by, but it's good payback for those nasty characters with fancy weapons that are often dangerous to cavalry.

Spasms is another movement manipulation spell. As winning the movement phase is so essential to a cavalry army, this one fits the bill perfectly. The rest is just very tasty gravy for the meat of the spell - no shooting or magic from the unit, dispels their in play spells and automatic hits... all handy, but more side-effects than anything. :p

Then Excruciation. Tough to cast, but its advantages are clear. Marked units can't declare flee reactions anyway, so the downside of unbreakable isn't an issue. The positives are clear. It's particularly good for replacing daemonic instability.
That inhibiting flee reactions part of the spell can be fiendishly useful when cast on the enemy though... Really want that fragile unit containing the mage to take the charge from your knights? Now they do! The best part is it often confuses the heck out of opponents in the process.

I started off just wanting to agree with Briohmar, but I think I got carried away.

Your Mum Rang
09-03-2007, 08:33
Hywel you're rather close to me as I'm in Aberystwyth!

And back to magic. I agree that Slaanesh magic is amazing and really seems to suit cavalry armies.

How well do Sorcerers do on Chariots? Too slow to be frontline troops but have enough speed to stay close.

Also how about a Great-Bray Shaman on a Beastherd?

Briohmar
09-03-2007, 11:46
How well do Sorcerers do on Chariots? Too slow to be frontline troops but have enough speed to stay close.
Also how about a Great-Bray Shaman on a Beastherd?

O-(-c Sorcerors on chariots do alright for me, usually. Provide I remember that its a sorceror, and not an exalted champion. The chariot gives good survivability to the sorceror, and gives him some mobility, though not as much as a steed or a booby worm. He can hit a unit in the flank and reduce ranks, which makes him an excellent tandem unit with knights, or horsemen.

As to the Bray Shaman. I have only ever had one game where the bray didn't take hoof, and run away. The beast herd isn't the best protection for him, as it lacks the mark, and the leadership to resist the terror creatures and panic tests. Slaangors, however is a different thing altogether. A bray shaman, with bray staff and chaos armor in a unit of slaangors is a very survivable dude.

Luxurious Torment is marvellous. Knights are a good target for it on your side of the fence as they are rather resilient to the damaging side-effects, likewise your multi-wounded, high toughness gribblies. It is also a delight on certain enemy units to force charges and cause some minor damage. The fact it is effectively a remain in play spell without the negatives associated with that spell type is very handy indeed.
Essentially it can manipulate the enemies movement phase or boost your combat phase = awesome for the cavalry army.

Hywel, I agree with your assessment of the spells very much, but I thought I'd share this with you. I zapped unchosen knights (and my sorceror) with Torment last friday, and they ripped through eight black knights, 6 dire wolves, and two units of zombies without taking a single wound. What's really nice about the spell is that the horses get the frenzy as well, because it is not frenzy from mark of Corney. So five knights and a sorceror get 11 WS 5 S5 attacks, 2 WS 5 S4 attacks and 12 WS 4 S4 attacks. They can be truly nasty.

Dead Man Walking
09-03-2007, 23:11
You are going to want a few cheap mounted Mauraders around. Remember that the mark of Slannesh means you cant flee from a charge and the more things that can choose to flee in your army the broader your game tactics can be. This way you can set up flee/counter charge tactics, and don't forget that they can rally -and- move if they choose to flee a charge since they are fast cav.

Briohmar
10-03-2007, 19:20
Yep, I agree thats why I take two units of horsemen, well, actually one unit of horesmen and one of horsewomen. I have my new converted unit completed, and I love the way they came out. They have also been a welcome addition to my force.

Reinnon
10-03-2007, 20:47
alright mum, deciding to have a break from the wood elves (cheers for letting me borrow em btw)?

well, my experience with chaos is limited i admit, but i've seen a lord with SoS, blade of blood and pendent rip apart enemies sickenly quickly