PDA

View Full Version : 1500pts of Dire Avengers

Gen_eV
08-03-2007, 01:42
Yep, Dire Avengers and nothing but!

I'm bored with designing armies in order to have a decent chance at games, and have instead gone for a completely themed army. Nothing but Dire Avengers! That way, I can blame my "excessively themed" list for any losses, rather than admitting my own lack of tactical acumen.

So, here's the list of guys I need to get painted for Carnage North 2007, which is in thirteen days (and counting...):
Asurmen - Not Started
10 Dire Avengers - Construction in Progress
10 Dire Avengers - Painting in Progress
10 Dire Avengers - Assembled
6 Dire Avengers in Falcon - Painting in Progress/Painting in Progress
6 Dire Avengers in Falcon -Assembled/Construction in Progress
Wraithlord - Construction in Progress

Okay, so maybe I lied about being 100% avenger, but the falcons are there as transports (and my only real anti-tank fire), and the Wraithlord used to be an Avenger. He'll be nicely converted with a crest and a proper "Avenger Cannon" of course. ;)

Asurmen and the first ten-man squad are going to be converted from the basic plastic kit, using High Elf Archer legs and suitably heroic poses, possibly swords/ one-handed Shuricats on the Avengers if it doesn't look over-the-top. My falcons are also converted somewhat - I bought two wave serpents, which are to be assembled without the field generators or extended hull, and with a Pulse Laser jury-rigged into position on the right of the turret.

The rest of the Avengers will be bog-standard models really, just with Guardian Aerials replacing the little targetting devices, which I have an unseemly dislike for. Anyway, all good project logs start with photography, so here we go. First, here's a shot of my first test model - not an example of the final painting quality I assure you, as I was using the first brush that came to hand, which coincidentally is the largest one I own. :eek:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/Gen_eV/Dire%20Avengers/attachment.jpg

Pics of my current Works In Progress to follow shortly, once I've cleared my desk enough to stand 'em up for some publicity shots...

FearFrost
08-03-2007, 05:23
If it was my list I would probably drop 10 of the DA's and get a wave serpent for one of the other 10 man squads, but thats just me :)

Interesting idea for a list, I was wondering how that would work out...but it seems characterful :)

Test model looks pretty decent, although the red on the crest and gun dont match...not sure if thats your intention, though.

Frost

Voronwe[MQ]
08-03-2007, 10:47
Very interesting theme you've got there! The quick-test model looks very good, although the armour plates are too light in my opinion and the red of the gun doesn't go well along the crest. Are you going to add a crest to the wraithlord?

Voronwe

akamanah
08-03-2007, 11:07
Ahh Voronwe thats what I wanted to ask. :) Really are you going to put a crest on the wraithlord?

doghouse
08-03-2007, 11:57
Excellent, I love themed armies!
Looking good so far mate. :)

Gen_eV
08-03-2007, 14:17
If it was my list I would probably drop 10 of the DA's and get a wave serpent for one of the other 10 man squads, but thats just me :) I was tempted by that, but with three tanks, the last squad/wraithlord would kinda look like they've been left behind. This way I've a solid infantry core with two "outrider" units.

Test model looks pretty decent, although the red on the crest and gun dont match...not sure if thats your intention, though.
;1364523']Very interesting theme you've got there! The quick-test model looks very good, although the armour plates are too light in my opinion and the red of the gun doesn't go well along the crest.
Yeah, I noticed that myself - I was trying to get a bit more definition on the hairs by adding an extra highlight, but I don't think it's worked - I'll see how it works if I increase the shading instead.

As for the armour plates being too light, that's just because my camera's playing silly buggers so I have to have the lights on, be in Super-Macro mode (less than 6" from the guy), and have the flash on. There's not as much contrast between the plates and the undersuit in real life.

;1364523']
Are you going to add a crest to the wraithlord?]

Really are you going to put a crest on the wraithlord?
Well, maybe just a little one. ;)
The green-stuffing skills to do a to-scale crest are beyond me at the moment, plus I'd need to rebuild the head to be a lot more upright. As it happens, the stand-alone crest from the bare exarch head fits neatly onto the back of the head, so that'll do for now. I'll be leaving the head unglued during the tourney though, leave my options open for later on.

Boss_Salvage
08-03-2007, 15:55
w00t for themed armies, and this reminds me of the avenger army I had schemed up back when avengers were never seen on the table ... :wtf:

Good luck with the army, I look forward to the Direlord most of all ;)

- Salvage

etham
08-03-2007, 18:58
The green-stuffing skills to do a to-scale crest are beyond me at the moment, plus I'd need to rebuild the head to be a lot more upright.

I think if you look at the limited edition Dire Avenger Autarch you might find inspiration for an alternate way to model the crest for the Wraithlord. He has a pony tail thing that comes out of a stalk which could look super nice scaled up. Maybe you could use real hair or thread with some white glue to keep it together.

Arhalien
08-03-2007, 19:01
Crazy idea; consider me subscribed. I get the feeling that this army will get close, bladestorm everything in sight then die like hell to the survivors? :p
Are the avengers exarched or not?

Interesting idea for the gun colour; nice to see something different.

I await more with interest :)

Gen_eV
08-03-2007, 21:17
Are the avengers exarched or not?Yep, the little squads have Twin Shuricats, Honour Guard have a Shimmershield, and the other two get Direswords.

Interesting idea for the gun colour; nice to see something different. Well, I realised that the Standard GW scheme would a bit monotonous across an entire army, so needed a contrast colour. After raiding CMON for ideas, I decided on red. Glad you like it.

Anyway, without further ado, here's a quick WIP of my Direlords converted bits. He isn't being fully assembled before painting as the gun's rather cumbersome, so I'm just showing off the gun and the crest so far...
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/Gen_eV/Dire%20Avengers/attachment-1.jpg
Sorry for the poor quality, need to get some better lighting in my bedroom.

Arhalien
08-03-2007, 21:19
Ooh, nice looking stuff for the wraithlord! The crest does look a bit small though IMO.
Is the shuricannon his only weapon?

Gen_eV
08-03-2007, 21:21
Ooh, nice looking stuff for the wraithlord! The crest does look a bit small though IMO.
Is the shuricannon his only weapon?

Well, he obviously still has the two little guns as well - the shuricat's on his right arm so when he's aiming the cannon they point in the same direction. And you see that little "targeter" on top of the cannon? That's a flamer that is! :D

The crest is a little small, it's just until I decide to do some more serious work on him - I've only 15 days to get them to a satisfactory standard at carnage, so it'll do for now. I'll keep at them after that, though, and will probably try and rebuild the head into something more impressive down the line...

Arhalien
08-03-2007, 21:25
Flamer targeting sight? Neat idea, I hadn't noticed that before :)
I look forward to seeing more :D

Weregerbil
08-03-2007, 22:04
So 15 days to go, so one question? Why were you at the club last night? Why wern't you at home painting? Ok so that may be two questions but why?

Arhalien
08-03-2007, 22:06
So 15 days to go, so one question? Why were you at the club last night? Why wern't you at home painting? Ok so that may be two questions but why?

Technically three with the last why :p

Gen_eV
08-03-2007, 22:21

Well, erm,er, I couldn't paint because I'd, erm , I was there because I was planning on setting up a practice match against someone next week! Yeah, that'll do. Ended up with two Necromunda games for Tues/Wed instead, though. :rolleyes:

Anyways, on with the updates! Here's a shot of my army as-is (apart from the first falcon, which has momentarily evaded my grasp...) and a WIP of my first honour guard model. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated with this guy.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/Gen_eV/Dire%20Avengers/attachment-2.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/Gen_eV/Dire%20Avengers/attachment-3.jpg
It's a bit of a careful angle, this - you can't see the lack of a proper waist - need to sculpt some sashes onto the join between the DA and HE bits. Hopefully I'll get this green-stuff to work. (That, or find someone willing to do it for me...)

Arhalien
08-03-2007, 22:23
Ooh, nice conversion for the honour guard; those HE archer legs work very well :)

Heero-Severus
08-03-2007, 22:29
These are looking great :D nice conversions on the Honour Guard. Keep em coming :D

Weregerbil
08-03-2007, 22:32
Technically three with the last why :p

Sssshhhhhhh im hunting wabbits! Oh wait a sec im not oops.

If you need help with GS ask someone at the club who isn't me.(I still think it looks tasty).

Catferret
09-03-2007, 02:55
Hopefully I'll get this green-stuff to work. (That, or find someone willing to do it for me...)

I'm not up to much these days til I get a new job and sashes are easy compared to all the trenchcoats i've been doing on models recently. Gimme a shout if you need a hand.

Nice work so far. Better get a move on with the painting though! :p

Gen_eV
09-03-2007, 09:41
You sir, are a gentleman. :D

I've found out I can just about get away without Green-stuffing the grunts, but the Exarch and my Phoenix Lord (Ace Avenger;)) are gonna both have more visible waistlines, and are likely to get more attention from my opponents.

So if you can help make the big boss guy and exarch, and help me figure out how to struggle through with the others, I'll be grateful. I assume thanks in the form of cookies or beer would be acceptable?

Palatine Katinka
09-03-2007, 15:35
Looking cool, just a couple of things don't seem quite right...

The sword arm on the honour guard looks a little beefy, might be the angle or the way it is attached.

The Wraitlord's cannon looks like its held too far back. I'd go for something like this...

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o58/ian_trudgett/40k/WraithAvengerCannonDetail.jpg

The targetter/Flamer is a nice touch. I might steal that idea but mine would have to just be a targetter because I've already put a pair of wrist-mounted Shuriken Catapults on!

Gen_eV
09-03-2007, 19:54
Ah, the Shuriken Cannon. I see you went for the route of moving the ammo clip, whereas I've just rotated the entire rear half of the gun upside-down. Gave me a nice little place to clip my flamer, now I just need to polish-up the damage done to the 'gravitic acceleration bar' or whatever it is, that strip that runs along the top of all shuriken weapons anyway...
EDIT: Having looked again, I decided that Katinka was right, and now the handle's been moved forwards as far as it can go, right up to the back of the clip.

I'm still not sure about doing swords on the honour guard, maybe just giving them nice robes and using the 'sheathed sword' bit from the Exarch. I hadn't noticed how beefy the arm was before - it's a standard Diresword arm, but you're right. Looking at the model now, I can't help but notice how mismatched the two arms appear. It's made worse by the phto, but there's still something not quite right about it...

Kriegsherr
09-03-2007, 20:43
Behold! The shuriken storm army of doom! ;)

Nice idea, I think this army is gonna be loads of fun... and your painted minis so far look really promising.

Gen_eV
10-03-2007, 18:27
Whoo!

Just finished building the first falcon! Well, almost - I can't find the little aerial for the top of the turret...

Anyway, picture time!
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/Gen_eV/Dire%20Avengers/attachment-4.jpghttp://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/Gen_eV/Dire%20Avengers/attachment-5.jpg
It's a very simple conversion - I bought a Serpent, but built the hull using just the Falcon bits. Then I just got a hold of a spare pulse laser, and did a barrel-swap with a Missile Launcher from the Wave Serpent. Oh, and the turret's in a different position due to me rotating the 'turret support disc' through 180 degrees, to make it even more different from any Wave Serpents I build in the future.

Any comments? EDIT: Yes, I know I forgot to actually put the Shuricannon on, it's separate for ease of painting.

Catferret
10-03-2007, 18:33
Lookin pretty swanky there G! I shall enjoy destroying it at some point in the future if we ever have a game! :D

Voronwe[MQ]
10-03-2007, 18:36
The honour guard model's nice indeed as is the converted parts for the Direlord, and a small crest is always a crest. :)

Voronwe

Weregerbil
10-03-2007, 22:03
So then you want a game at some point?

Gen_eV
10-03-2007, 23:19
Sounds like a good idea. I've a game of Necromunda planned for Wdnesday, but if you can make it to the GW on Tuesday evening I could give you a 1500pt game then?

Weregerbil
11-03-2007, 00:25
Im on a work away day on Tues so I might be able to do a 8.00pm game, I shall let you know.

Any army you do/do not want to play against? You have the choice of Marines, Guard, Eldar or the wikki wikki Waagggh!

Gen_eV
11-03-2007, 01:21
An 8pm game's the only one I could manage, as I'm in work until 7.15 myself. As for opponents, Orks would be entertaining, I usually have a great time against them.

Even when they charge my Deathwing on turn one...:(

Weregerbil
12-03-2007, 20:21
We shall see what turns up then, as it will probley be the first army I grab.

Fallen Angel
15-03-2007, 17:05
How much you got left to paint fella?? Hope you get them done in time to shoot my orks off the table next friday!!

Gen_eV
15-03-2007, 20:51
How much? erm, most of it. I'm keeping the progress on the original post - anything green is ready for the tournament. Currently, that'd be nowt. :eek:

I accidentally mixed up two of my squads, thus meaning I've two 'in progress' rather than one completed. I've just bought myself a nice big brush to help accelarate painting the bodysuits, so hopefully everything I've built will be nice and blue by the time I go to bed.