PDA

View Full Version : Best/ Worst command squad you've seen.

Warp_touched
08-03-2007, 06:19
Title explains it all really.

azimaith
08-03-2007, 06:27
Hmm

One fake HSO (Honorifica+Junior Officer) + 1 priest, one lascannon, 2 meltas, and the HSO had a powerfist and a bolter.

Man that command squad just didn't know what the hell it was doing.

==Me==
08-03-2007, 06:34
I ran into this absurdity a while ago.

tooled up DP
Chosen retinue tricked out (approx 100 points each, all kinda of gifts).

This mess made up over half of the enemy's army, and they died just as easily as the normal CSMs.

Bookwrak
08-03-2007, 07:11
An IG Command squad completely tooled up for CC, with a priest, Bolt Pistols and CCWs on the four Guardsmen, PFist and plasma on the JO. This might've put some fear into the heart of Tau, but they were facing Tyranids.

Steel_Legion
08-03-2007, 07:30
some guy I knew tooled up his Chaplin to all hell, he was useless, never once got his points back, he had everything, a bike, articifier armour, 4+ ward etc.. came to a fwe hundred points, sure he done ome damage when he hit... but no one was dumb enough to let him hit...

Autobot HQ
08-03-2007, 08:48
An Ethereal. Just in general really ;)

Besides that, I've seen someone in a 1500pt game against my Space Marine Chapter "The Scorpion Guard". He ran a 900pt Deathwatch team, with Captain and Liberian of uber-doom, everyone with honours and weapons galor. He was using marines, and had only 2 other 8-man squards, a cheap Captain with no gear, and a Dreadnought. Total overkill in one squad that deepstriked in to get close. Shame I run a 4 Plasma Cannon Dev. Squad. Died turn 2 under 4 templates of death. No casulties my side, over by turn 3 as he died to a man.

A-HQ

Lord Solar Plexus
08-03-2007, 09:04
Squad members
HSO - master-crafted Powersword, mc-Plasmapistol, Refractorfield, Frag, Krak, Melta, Bionics, Med. Crimson

4 Vets - Frag, Regimental Standard, mc-CCW + mc-Plasmapistols

Priest - mc-Eviscerator, mc-Plasmapistol, Frag, Krak, Melta, Bionics, Med. Crimson, Purity Seals, Rosarius, Holy Relic

Psyker - mc-Force Weapon, mc-Plasmapistol, Frag, Krak, Melta, Bionics, Med. Crimson, Honorifica

Commissar - mc-Powerfist, Frag, Krak, Melta, mc-Plasmapistol, Bionics, Med. Crimson, Refractorfield

Doctrines
Close Order Drill, Carapace, Hardened Fighters, Cyber-Enhancement, Die-Hards

Effects

8 shots pre-charge S7, AP2
I 5 - 6 Att. a S3 power weapon (re-roll to hit + to wound), WS 5
6 Att. a S3 force weapon (re-roll to hit + to wound), WS 5
I 4 - 20 Att. a S3 (re-roll to hit + to wound), WS 4
I 1 - 5 Att. a S6 power weapon (re-roll to hit + to wound), WS 5
6 Att. a S6 power weapon (re-roll to hit + to wound), WS 4
+ 1 wound (RegStandard)

Cost

901 points for 8 models (13 wounds)

eldaran
08-03-2007, 09:47
Best: Librarian w/ termie honours, Fear Of The Darkness, Storm of the Emperor's wrath+bolt pistol. w/ a 6-man command squad w/infiltrate and vet. sergeant w/ p. fist.

I saw this unit on its own chew its way through a platoon and a half, five space marines and two heavy weapon crew bases-in one combat phase (i love massacre rules...:D)

don_mondo
08-03-2007, 10:56
Squad members
HSO - master-crafted Powersword, mc-Plasmapistol, Refractorfield, Frag, Krak, Melta, Bionics, Med. Crimson

Priest - mc-Eviscerator, mc-Plasmapistol, Frag, Krak, Melta, Bionics, Med. Crimson, Purity Seals, Rosarius, Holy Relic

Psyker - mc-Force Weapon, mc-Plasmapistol, Frag, Krak, Melta, Bionics, Med. Crimson, Honorifica

Commissar - mc-Powerfist, Frag, Krak, Melta, mc-Plasmapistol, Bionics, Med. Crimson, Refractorfield

Doctrines

Effects

+ 1 wound (RegStandard)

Cost

Just an FYI, so no one gets too confused. Close Order Drill does not work for the HQ Platoon. So there wouldn't be any Iniative boosts for this squad, so subtract one from all the listed Iniatives.

Grimtuff
08-03-2007, 11:29
some guy I knew tooled up his Chaplin to all hell, he was useless, never once got his points back, he had everything, a bike, articifier armour, 4+ ward etc.. came to a fwe hundred points, sure he done ome damage when he hit... but no one was dumb enough to let him hit...

:eyebrows:

Erm, he's on a bike FFS. Unless you're playing Mech Tau or Mech Eldar he's gonna hit your lines pretty much all the the time.

I love when people make stuff up. :rolleyes:

shveen
08-03-2007, 12:42
Tooled up techmarine with 2 plasmas (pistol and harness) Iron Halo and Term. Honours. with a 6 man Vet. Squad tooled to the max (lightning claws, fists, power weapons) in a LR. Hit my lines and bam whole platoon gone.

super powerful,but cost loads of points

shveen

The_Outsider
08-03-2007, 12:47
A warboss with 5 or so nobs with not a single powerflaw in the unit in about the only transport in said ork army.

Also my 5 incubi retinue for my archon at 1k points is pretty stupid as DE go (but man they sure are fun to use).

Lord Solar Plexus
08-03-2007, 13:06
Just an FYI, so no one gets too confused. Close Order Drill does not work for the HQ Platoon. So there wouldn't be any Iniative boosts for this squad, so subtract one from all the listed Iniatives.

I know, it's such a silly squad that it borders on illegal.

Forces Unknown
08-03-2007, 13:25
Squad members

Doctrines

Effects

+ 1 wound (RegStandard)

Cost

Thats the most absurd unit choice I have ever seen. What was the mindset of they player who took that? Was it just a joke or did he seriously think it would be good?

Lord Solar Plexus
08-03-2007, 13:30
Thats the most absurd unit choice I have ever seen. What was the mindset of they player who took that? Was it just a joke or did he seriously think it would be good?

God no, that was a joke, nothing but a joke because we were talking about upgrades the other day! I guess it all started with the classic (and sometimes even useful) Psyker + HI + FW thingy...I don't think I know anyone stupid enough to think that this was any good...;)

Although newbies sometimes tend to overload, this combo takes a conscious effort to construct.

Overlord Krycis
08-03-2007, 13:37
Squad members

Doctrines

Effects

+ 1 wound (RegStandard)

Cost

All I can say to that is: Battlecannon...:D

When I started 40k (had never even looked at the 40k rulebook before I started as I liked Fantasy more...) the new Chaos Codex had just came out.

The minute I saw the Chosen entry I devised a retinue for my Lord, going by the same basis as I did for fantasy...expensive = good unit.

8 Chosen Terminator aspiring champions later, I realised the error of my ways...:p

inane-fedaykin
08-03-2007, 13:57
Jetbike Fareer with guide, fortune, stones and a unit of 5 warlocks all on jet bikes with enhance, embolden and 3 destructors. Singing spears all around.
453 points of killy that can hold its own against absolutely anything. Likely to be blasted to hell on the first turn.

marv335
08-03-2007, 14:08
one guy i play now and again has a dark eldar army.
he likes to use a tooled up archon with all (and i do mean all) the upgrades possible. the retinue is in a raider (again upgraded to the max) it's never made it into combat.
not once.
it usually dies on turn one.

Righter8
08-03-2007, 14:27
Best - An Eldar Avatar that took out a Dreadnought and a SM commander geared up for CC.

Worst - Anything I've ever fielded.

Quin 242
08-03-2007, 14:53
Best: Librarian w/ termie honours, Fear Of The Darkness, Storm of the Emperor's wrath+bolt pistol. w/ a 6-man command squad w/infiltrate and vet. sergeant w/ p. fist.

I saw this unit on its own chew its way through a platoon and a half, five space marines and two heavy weapon crew bases-in one combat phase (i love massacre rules...:D)

You do know that massacre just lets you move UP TO the next unit right? The combat is not fought until the next Close combat phase.
So unless they met all these units at once they wouldn't have been able to do this much damage...

Steel_Legion
08-03-2007, 14:57
:eyebrows:

Erm, he's on a bike FFS. Unless you're playing Mech Tau or Mech Eldar he's gonna hit your lines pretty much all the the time.

I love when people make stuff up. :rolleyes:

Trust me, "Curly Tim" was real, even ask BrushyourTeeth or Muse who will back me up

I love when people think someone made something up and are wrong

Huw_Dawson
08-03-2007, 15:06
I think the worst would probably be a Space Marine one. Theoretically they can be the most expensive too (Tooled up Chaplain and 10 veteran marines with 100pts of wargear each and all the upgrades for the squad you can legally take. That's about 1300/1400 points ;) )

Of course, they'd all have 2+/5+ saves and be mounted on infiltrating bikes and all have twin lightning claws. And the chapter banner, apothecary and chaplain basically make it invincible in combat, plus they can get a turn one charge...

So not neccesarily the worst either.

- Huw

PS: A thought occurs to me - Terminator Command Squad on bikes. No rule prevents it I think, unless TCS can't take termy honours for everyone. :p

dr vompire
08-03-2007, 15:13
my ten man terminator (all with storm bolter PF's) retinue for a chaplain in terminator armour, caused a whole load of trouble when they showed up on turn five and deep struck next to a defiler, which was then blown up by a krak missile from accross the table, great use of 500 points that was...

Arkzein
08-03-2007, 15:20
Worst: (But fun!)

Slaaneshi Aspiring Champion Chosen with flight (Came about as Raptors can't take the MoS and I loved the models at the time, the old raptors), power weapons/Lclaws, various extras, mutations, strength, etc. around a non-statured lord of the same.

Talk about a glass canon, used it a couple of times for a laugh when playing my mates nids when we were messing about with silly lists, ripping through Tyranid Warriors, Tyrant guard and big gribblies for fun, (I recall one big melee with Guard, Warriors, a Tyrant and a Carnfiex that left my Lord standing alone with 1 wound in the end about to face the charge of a big gaunt unit..... *Laughs* bloody good fun) but still almost entirely useless for compeitive games, never made it's whopping price tag back. Satisfying to see the sheer damage it could cause though.

sliganian
08-03-2007, 15:25
From a Chaos POV:
I would think that a Khorne Terminator Lord with a retinue of 4 Terminator Aspiring Champs in a Landraider would be a really 'risk / reward' type of HQ unit.

The singularly worst choice (or one-trick pony) for Chaos would be a Tzeentch Lord and Chosen retinue, all with, say, 'Doombolt' (or Bolt of Change for even more expensive fun). Six model unit that could easily top out at over 500 points.

Carlos
08-03-2007, 15:26
I used 10 Warlocks+Eldrad+2nd Seer in my last battle and I managed to kill nothing in the opponents squad in assault. He killed 1 warlock (even with fortune...) and I rolled a 12 for my morale check and a 1 for my Sweeping advance roll.

You can imagine the rest.

08-03-2007, 16:34
(this isnt just a squad but funny) we had a bring a one troop choice and one HQ

a guy brought a maxed out hq (guard platoon) (sent autocan...you know the works) and a full 55 man platoon (5 squads and command squad)

the next time they put a points limit on what you could bring

edit: over 100 models

Grimtuff
08-03-2007, 16:48
Trust me, "Curly Tim" was real, even ask BrushyourTeeth or Muse who will back me up

I love when people think someone made something up and are wrong

Apologies, but stories of this ilk never always add up, most of the stuff in this thread I can quite happily place under "urban myth" (not to say it is untrue though)

eldaran
08-03-2007, 18:12
You do know that massacre just lets you move UP TO the next unit right? The combat is not fought until the next Close combat phase.
So unless they met all these units at once they wouldn't have been able to do this much damage...

He charged all of them, then i beat them, they failed their leadership tests and ran, then caught and destroyed the lot, apart from the SMs, who ran off the board, along with a couple of other units. When i checked the catch-and-destroy with a staffer, he said that they were all destroyed... My opponent was not happy (but we got an award for most amusing assault phase EVER-he didn't get the joke made at his expense)

When i said massacre, i meant catch and destroy. Sorry.

Thenmy
08-03-2007, 19:20
A thought occurs to me - Terminator Command Squad on bikes. No rule prevents it I think, unless TCS can't take termy honours for everyone. :p

First off, Terminator Command Squads already have Terminator Honours, but they can't gain access to the armoury. Even if they could, the Space Marine wargear list clearly states that "Models in Terminator armour can only select equipment marked with T." Bikes aren't marked with T.

Grimtuff
08-03-2007, 19:42
First off, Terminator Command Squads already have Terminator Honours, but they can't gain access to the armoury. Even if they could, the Space Marine wargear list clearly states that "Models in Terminator armour can only select equipment marked with T." Bikes aren't marked with T.

Now if we had bike mounted command squads selecting Termie armour that would be a whole different kettle of fish ;)

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
08-03-2007, 20:30
Well theres always my legendary "squad of chosen of nothing in particular" who never accomplished anything at all.. (my opponents where DE with lots of raiders..and im footslogging..-.-')

The Laughing Man!
08-03-2007, 20:47

I have used the tooled up hells angel chaplin in larger games on occasion for distracting fire from my marines. Bike, 2+ sv and a admantine mantle combined with turbo boosting can take a hell of a lot of fire without going down, if of course your opponent is dumb enough to fall for it and if he isn't then like you said he can still cause a lot of damage/disruption.

Rogue 7
08-03-2007, 20:53
How about the seven man farsight squad, complete with shield drones all around? Never seen it, but 8 plasma rifles, seven fusion blasters, and target locks could make for a nasty squad.

Killgore
08-03-2007, 21:02
i have a habbit of facing command squads with everyone whos capable of using a power weapon has one, along with a capatain, libby and chaplain all for 1 hq slot?

they get shot up alot but they always make it into combat :(

if i ever bought any more ork models I'd want to havea full sized retinue for my warboss with everyone armed with 3 attack squigs haha

Stormhammers
08-03-2007, 22:15
best one I've seen? I guess mine, at least in the medusa camp. Cadian officer, some battle damage and conversion work done, commissar with a power fist, preacher with evicerator and a psyker (I have found to be useless, well, he did absorb some hits) The squad members are lightly converted, armed with melta guns and a voz caster and a converted medic (I use all metal cadians) I mean best not based in how they look, but what they accomplished, the squad would get into CC constantly and came out on top. Also I like the base I did on him, painted medals and awards as well as ribbons from the medusa camp. He started the camp a colonel, now he's a Major General, and if he survives the next camp. (a small one going on within out little club) he might recieve more accolades.

Stella Cadente
09-03-2007, 00:04
worst HQ you ask?

easy a Tau Ethereal, really do they have any use

Stranger
09-03-2007, 00:56
Worst?
10-man, 10-powerweapon BA Honour Guard.

Against guard.

Ahh, the sweet years of newbieness :D

Lord Cook
09-03-2007, 01:22
Best HQ?

Junior Officer w/ Iron discipline
Veteran w/ Company standard
3 Guard w/ Mortar
_____
66 points

Great at what it does. Provides cheap leadership, stays out of sight, and forces a pinning check every so often. And most importantly isn't a point sink!

This isn't hypothetical - I do actually use this config'.

Gutlord Grom
09-03-2007, 01:40
Worst I've seen but insaney powerful: A BA HQ Honor Squad around a Sanguinary High Priest of the FU school of thought. All had power weapons. And he ignored krak missiles. And they had a Death Company unit for back up. It was zell on Earth.