PDA

View Full Version : Thinkin' 'bout woodelf cavalry list

Leonathion
08-03-2007, 06:50
Anyone ever tried one? I think it could be quite good. At least for smaller sized games.

Gladeriders, Wildriders, Great Eagles, Warhawks perhaps

forgottenlor
08-03-2007, 08:58
I would be very suspect. You are fast, but you have nothing with an armor save or high toughness and only the wild riders have hitting power. Plus everythig is very expensive. If you face an army with lots of magic and shooting power, you could have problems. Against elite infantry or undead, which don't break easily, you could have problems. On the other hand, I am sure you could do well against armies which have no answer to your speed. You could try it out for fun, if you have the extra models.

Vattendroppe
08-03-2007, 09:07
For smaller games, maybe. Certainly a fun army to play against slower enemies. But the models are so expensive and fragile that it's a list that can hardly be competative. Plus, the "normal" don't exactly lack manouverability ;)

But a fun army indeed, but you're going to need lots of wild riders.

Leonathion
08-03-2007, 09:16
Im thinking three units of WRs, 2 units of GRs, a great Eagle or two (noble?), perhaps a unit of dryads or archers to back them up

Vattendroppe
08-03-2007, 09:20
How many pts do you think this army to be?

RavenBloodwind
08-03-2007, 21:53
As has been pointed out, you'll have a VERY small force with little actual punch. The cheapest model you field will be 24pts and only the wild riders are truly combat worthy.

That said, you may be able to make it work. I think you'll want a mage or 2 mounted (can go with glamorweave kindred if you have the points).

As to the flyers, any way you slice that will be expensive other than the aforementioned solo eagle. I'd think about putting a fighty character on an eagle for high-speed support where needed.

I'd suggest you concentrate on having more glade rider units than wild riders simply to provide good bait so that each wild rider unit gets, at worst, a flank charge in every combat it engages in. Additionally, the glade riders can be very effective for dealing with war machines and other soft annoyances.

Against lower Ld troops the Wild riders fear-on-the-charge will be particularly important but his could be augmented with a noble with blight of terrors or if your mage gets the 'cause fear' spell.

Kahadras
08-03-2007, 22:46
I think it's a really cool idea but as other poeple have already pointed out it will a difficult army to play with. I'd try to play it as a real hit and run army (even more than normal Wood elves are). Definatly a challenge if that's what you're looking for.

Kahadras

jimmysnz
09-03-2007, 00:35
You could always take Orion and then have wild riders as core.

Take around 4x 10 man wild rider squads, or break them up a little more. Race 2 down each flank (with Orion in one) and watch the enemy panic. You will have combat in turn 2 and should break almost anything you touch. If you are afraid of a really tough unit you could always take a BSB wild rider in one of the units for that extra kick of killyness and Combat resolution.

The rest of the points can be used on a mage or 2 to do spells such as call of the hunt and arials blessing.

Then the rest can be Glade riders that can sit back in some soft cover and shoot anything that is trying to mess your plans up... or even just running them straight up so that the large combat units cannot turn to face your flanking wild riders.

Now I want to try it!!

Atzcapotzalco
09-03-2007, 01:34
get the warhawks, because;

1) at 40 points for 2 wounds, they're slightly better value per wound than the other cavalry.

2) You need to silence enemy shooting as fast as possible, for which you want flyers. 50 point great eagles are also good value.

3) Hit and run, combined with flying, makes them good at hunting enemy wizards which, again, you need to stop as soon as possible.

4) the hawks are strength 4, and they look cool.

Also, remember wizards can ride unicorns for that extra S6 punch when wild riders charge.

jimmysnz
09-03-2007, 04:44
Personally don't think I would ever put my pretty mage in a heavy combat unit, but I guess i can see some advantages: Give him a ward save and hope you don't get fury of the forest or tree singing.

hehe. just thinking about it I am starting to get ideas of doing it now!

Having your mage there to cast call of the hunt, arials blessing, hidden path or the fear causing thingy would actually be really good. They would all boost the combat abilities of the unit.

You have convinced me Atzcapotzalco, i'll try that next time.

Franco
09-03-2007, 16:20
Errrrrrrrr... quite a good idea!!!
I think it is good that someone is doing something different to WE, instead of swamping them with GG. I dont think it would be good in high point battles, but it would be an interesting experiment. I cant say much about swamping them with GG, because i am going to, but that is what i like about WE, and it is a good idea for a fast cavalry army!!!

Chicago Slim
09-03-2007, 18:34
I've fielded wood elves in several very different configurations (heavy shooting, no shooting, heavy manuever). I agree that, if you're going for an all-cav concept, you'd do well to field Orion, and focus on Wild Riders-- you might even leave the Glade Riders out altogether, though it can be nice to have a unit or two with which to "bait" your enemies (since Wild Riders can't flee as a charge reaction, being Immune to Psychology and all).

You'll never get rank bonuses, but as a wood elf player, you're sort of used to that anyway... A coordinated front+flank charge with 2 six-packs of wild riders should auto-break (okay, "insane courage") just about anything in the game (he gets no ranks, you have a flank, and by the end of combat, you should have numbers, and cause fear).

A 6-pack of Wild Riders is about 200 points. So, if you bring Orion and a couple of mages, in a 2000 point battle, you could easily have 10 such six-packs. That's liable to leave the enemy scrambling.

Like any seriously dedicated concept army, it'll have some rock-paper-scissors effect (that is, there'll be things that can't be you, and others that you can't beat). It won't do much against Dwarfs, or anything else that has no flanks. Armor isn't a huge problem, as you're planning to break them on static CR and fear. Armor and immune to fear, that's a problem... so, Brets will have plenty of answers to you.

Now, pulling together 60 Wild Riders will be quite a trick... I saw some really nice conversions, though, linked from here a couple of months ago: centaur elves, which you could do using Glade Riders (throw away the horse head and the rider's legs... and invest in lots of green stuff...)

memitchell747
09-03-2007, 20:23
I love ideas like this! Someday I will play an all Fast Cav. battle.

The problem I see is that this army will struggle against a typical, balanced 2000 pt. army in a Pitched Battle scenario. It will really have trouble against armies tooled up specifically to fight it. At least, I think it will. This is what usually happpens to my theme armies. Sometimes it works out.

On the otherhand, if the you fight in a Athel Loren (lot's of forest), I think you would do well.

popisdead
11-03-2007, 04:46
Macharia's battle glade has excellent tips for (google it) the all cav list. He's had good success with it too.

I personally would take a great eagle or dragon to offset the weaknesses. Loosing Glade Guard and Dryads is throwing away 50% of the army. May as well play one of the other elf lists then.