PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Tigershark miniatures

Math Mathonwy
08-03-2007, 10:08
Just a quick question about the engines of Tigersharks. They were pretty malformed when I got them - should I contact Forge World and ask if they would send another pair? Or are all Tigersharks like this?

http://i18.tinypic.com/2lb2wxc.jpg

http://i16.tinypic.com/4c8zv6f.jpg

mattjgilbert
08-03-2007, 10:18
Are you sure that isn't just flashing or excess resin from injection points on the mould which need snipping off/tidying up?

Anyone else had these models?

Brother_Bethor
08-03-2007, 10:20
I think that resin flow canals are connected with engine exhausts. I'm sorry but this 'damage' looks pretty unavoidable to me.

Math Mathonwy
08-03-2007, 10:31
I think that resin flow canals are connected with engine exhausts. I'm sorry but this 'damage' looks pretty unavoidable to me.
Yeah, I was worried that this was the case. Too bad that it means a helluva lot of resculpting. Especially as the bigger engines are supposed to be twins, but the gap is filled up.

But thanks for the replies!

Spacker
08-03-2007, 12:13
Yep, mine are like this too - the engine ports are where the resin is poured into the mould. The Manta gets around this by having separate ports to glue onto the engines - FW should have done the same thing with the Tiger Sharks. Filing them flat and cutting the separator doesn't quite look right, and on a couple the resin excess also obscures the edges of the ports.

njbumper
08-03-2007, 18:45
Once you take off the flash the seperators are there at least on mine

Zhai Morenn
08-03-2007, 21:20
I've seen this problem before with my BFG Tau Protector cruisers, but a little work with a file and a little work with an Xacto or razor of some type should fix that up no problem. At least that worked for me.

fattdex
09-03-2007, 00:10
I've found that with most of the horrible flash on forgeworld models too- once it is trimmed off in the right place, most of it falls away and some of the detail it was obsucring looks a lot better than it did before.

Cry of the Wind
09-03-2007, 00:15
It looks just like the stuff on the Barracudas. Clipping that off shouldn't cause much problems. That said how many people found that the flash on the wing tips of their Manta were a huge pain in the ass to remove? I spent a good half hour cleaning off 2 pieces of flash of the wings and about 5 minutes on the rest of the model.

tanker
09-03-2007, 05:40
Everyone has their own tolerance for flash. To me this is no big deal. I actually never even noticed that each 'engine' was actually two. What really bugs me is when the flash obscures the surface detail or there is one of those dang 'seams' that goes across the whole model.

fattdex
09-03-2007, 07:27
those seams sure are annoying, but with the right sclupting tool a greenstuff sausage will usually fix the problem in two seconds flat. if it's minor, i just paint them as worn paint and it's usually alright.

HOWEVER

With the premium prices we pay for this junk...

tanker
09-03-2007, 18:25
Geezo, I never even thought of doing that! I've been trying to shave or sand the thing down. Your idea is much better. At least I learned it before I started on my Thunderhawk!