PDA

View Full Version : Cannonball and Indestructible objects

DeathlessDraich
08-03-2007, 16:53
A cannon shoots at an Anvil of Doom or Casket of Souls.
The bounce starts before the Anvil/Casketand the Dwarf or TK player has stated that the character is directly behind the Anvil or Casket.

Can the 'bounce' of the cannonball carry on through something which it does not damage and presumably absorbs its impact? i.e. Should the RuneSmith or Liche be totally unscathed.

Thanks in advance

Von Wibble
08-03-2007, 17:29
I consider a liche priest/ runelord to be part of the casket/ anvil. Unless you roll a 5+ to hit the crew (or whatever the randomisation is), of which the character is a member, you hit the machine and have no effect.

Its like hitting a character on a monster or chariot - only difference is there is a chance of hitting something without any chance of doing damage.

However, if the TK/Dwarf player had another character behind the object (and not attached to it), and in the path of the cannonball, I don't know what would happen...

DarthBinky
08-03-2007, 17:35
Do hills stop cannonballs?

The wording for the Anvil, at least, compares them to hills.

Atrahasis
08-03-2007, 17:39
Von Wibble, your argument is based on the false premise that cannonball hits are randomised among a war machine and its crew.

In reality, every model touched by the cannonball's path is hit.

Strictly by the rules, the cannonball carries on into the model behind unless you agree beforehand that it is otherwise.

Jonke
08-03-2007, 18:02
The indestructability of the anvil is taken in account by the ward save. If the runelord (or guard) passes the ward save the ball hit the anvil and bounces of harmlessly. Rules wise this of course does not stop the ball from hitting another unit behind the anvil.

TheWarSmith
08-03-2007, 18:18
I THINK hill do stop cannonballs if they land on the short side of the hill and would bounce "over/through" the hill.

sds661
09-03-2007, 01:32
I THINK hill do stop cannonballs if they land on the short side of the hill and would bounce "over/through" the hill.

I don't think that is explicit in the rules is it? The specific effects of terrain are to be agreed upon before the battle, and I think this falls into that realm.

Green-Knight
09-03-2007, 02:23
IIRC, i am 95% sure that cannonballs dont bounce up hills.

pg87. "If the cannonball bounces into impassable terrain that in reality would stand in the way of the shot, such as the sheer side of a cliff (as apposed to a lake), it stops immediately, but other than this, nothing can stop a cannonball."

granted, most hills arnt impassable, but it just doesnt make sence for a cannonball to bounce up a hill. It should just hit the side and stop.

DarthBinky
09-03-2007, 07:14
granted, most hills arnt impassable, but it just doesnt make sence for a cannonball to bounce up a hill. It should just hit the side and stop.
Ever play Medieval 2: Total War?

Vattendroppe
09-03-2007, 11:30

That is completely reliant on the hills size, material , how steep the hit wall is and so on and so forth. It's perfectly logical for a cannonball to bounce up the side of a [opposite to steep, can't find the word] hill that's made out of rock or hard dirt if fired in a small angle. If the cannonball is shot into to a solid rock wall or a steep hill made out of really loose mud, it would stop. It's all a matter of circumstances.

Festus
09-03-2007, 11:59
Hi

A cannonball will indeed bounce onto a hill (not through a House or a cliff, however), and through most forests ans indeed through an Anvil or Casket.
Mostly for the precise rules given above.

Festus

Atrahasis
09-03-2007, 12:05
[opposite to steep, can't find the word] hill Gradual or shallow would do. Since we're talking about cannon we might do well to refer to such a slope as a glacis.