PDA

View Full Version : Empire General on Griffon?

elite_dannux
08-03-2007, 18:13
I feeling of making a conversion of this model.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o137/elite_dannux/wichking.gif

But the questions are:

1. Is this a good idea?

2. Is it worth the point cost? 3-400pts is alot.

3. What equipment should buy for him?

Vattendroppe
08-03-2007, 18:49
1. The question is how the **** you're going to make that look like an empire gen with griffon? Looks more like DE on dragon...

elite_dannux
08-03-2007, 19:21
Its not supposed to look like a griffon in the first place ;)

Ill just use the griffon rules/stats for it.
You know that not all people in the empire are good persons.
Im one of those...

Makaber
08-03-2007, 19:25
In my eyes, there are three categories of flying monsters: Small, medium, and large. The small ones are the two-wound glorified horses, which are very useful for giving a character flying and using it for hunting mages and war machines and the like. Then there is large, which is typically dragons (and maybe, maybe the wyvern): Very powerful in their own right, and (the most important bit) with good enough toughness and armour save to take a beating.

Then there is the awkward "medium" category, stuff like griffins, hippogriffs, and (holy crap!) manticores. If you want a mage/war machine hunter, they're pretty overkill. They pack almost the same punch as a dragon (or other "large" flyer, if there are any I've forgotten), but suffer one tremendeous drawback: They're frail to the point of being a liability. There's no use decking out the Lord on top with something to better his odds of surviving, when he's sitting on a humble four-wound, unarmoured steed with a Toughness value of "not nearly enough". It's a very simple business to simply ignore the character and attack the monster for easy CR, win on whatever kinds of banner/ranks/outnumber you have, and send the character fleeing (and often on foot, as the monster dies easily).

That is not to say that the medium sized fliers are worthless, though. They just require a lot more finesse. Don't overestimate what it's capable of doing. Don't think it can win combats on its own, because it can't. Stay the hell away from any enemy characters who might survive your charge. It's best asset is a flying Unit Strength 5, so get those flank charges whenever you can, to cancel ranks. Expect to be challenged a lot. Avoid missile fire like the plague.

As for equipment, since the monster is so easy to hurt, it's no use decking out the character to be more survivable than the mount. I'm not saying you should forget about protection entirely, but leave that Hat of Rerollable 2+ Save at home, because any opponent worth his salt will probably go for the griffin. Something against missile fire is a good idea though, because it's bound to attract some, even as hard as you want to try to avoid it (it's just a too tempting target and shooting is the best way of dealing with it). Instead, aim for stuff that allows you to kill any threats before they have the chance to strike back, because you will be charging a lot. I'm not sure what the Empire have available at the moment, but if there ever was a reason to take that really expensive magical weapon, this is it. Don't skimp out and opt for the lance.

elite_dannux
08-03-2007, 19:36
Ok im getting the feeling that the general/griffon combo is raterworthless.

too expensive to hunt warmashines/ too weak to hunt anything tougher than a butterfly.

The idea is pretty dead by now as the regular captasus is much better at the job.

The only thing i feel sorry for is that it would have bin such a nice looking centerpiece of my army.

DesertDirge
08-03-2007, 20:04
so go for the general w/runefang on griffon! kick butt!

ZeroTwentythree
08-03-2007, 20:04
Something against missile fire is a good idea though, because it's bound to attract some, even as hard as you want to try to avoid it

I would think the same goes for something giving a little magic resistance as well.

(I've also considered the use of a Griffon, just because I've got a figure and feel obliged to use it at some point.)

RavenBloodwind
08-03-2007, 22:14
Hells bells, If you want to go with the 'not good' empire theme, use the model you have in mind, talk to your opponent first, and field him as Karl Franz. Um, Klaus Franzenstein? A stupid lot of points, but addresses many of the other limitations a not-over-the-top character would suffer.

But basically, skip the griffon-general for general purposes for the very good reasons outlined in previous posts.

jimmysnz
09-03-2007, 00:42
Also note that some players and tournaments coughgamesworkshopcough wont let you play FB against them if you use stuff from LotR, even if it is converted (due to copyright from New line apparently).
I wouldn't have a problem with it, but its something to keep in mind.

Makaber
09-03-2007, 22:58
Also note that some players and tournaments coughgamesworkshopcough wont let you play FB against them if you use stuff from LotR, even if it is converted (due to copyright from New line apparently).
I wouldn't have a problem with it, but its something to keep in mind.

Actually that's not completely true. The deal Games Workshop has with New Line means they cannot promote mixing of the two lines, so if you go to a tournament and win "best painted" with an army containing a couple of LotR parts, they can't publish pictures of the offending models. You should be free to play with them, though.

Darknight
10-03-2007, 00:39
Most GW stores will tend to take a dim view of mxing, simply because someone might come in the store and take a look at it and go, "Oh! I can use it!"

They play safe rather than sorry.

elite_dannux
10-03-2007, 14:54
OK. Would this be good equipment for a Griffon General?
Sword of Power, Armour of MeteoricIron and VHs Speculum OR Sigil of Sigmar.

Total cost will be 375/360pts.

Von Wibble
10-03-2007, 18:29
Its OK but considering you need to be charging and only really fighting in round 1 a lance is as good as the sword of power. Shroud of Magnus/ Holy Relic are nice protective items, and Aldred's casket is nicely optimised by your speed, as is the Doomfire Ring. Armour of Meteoric Iron is fine as is Sigil of Sigmar, but I prefer the latter on characters in units.
I rate the Griffon - if the rider has decent attack potential (eg high elf prince). Simply avoid shooting and thwo into side/ rear of combats with a chariot to help. Unfortunately empire don't quite get these luxuries - general is too weak and having your only Ld9 model flying away from your army could be risky.

Jhayden
10-03-2007, 18:47
That would actually make a pretty wicked Orc Wyvern. Much better than the current frog-monster.