PDA

View Full Version : Pegasus Knights

Hrogoff the Destructor
08-03-2007, 18:43
My question is, is what makes them so good? Everywhere I go I hear they are overpowered, should be restricted to 0-1 at all times (which I agree with), so on and so forth.

They are good and all, but to me they seem nothing more than a slight nuisance. They are fast, ridiculously agile, can cause panic, and can kill smaller things like artillery.

Using them against any kind of squad, is well, suicide. You can't ignore ranks, get bonus resolution for close combat, and typically can't inflict serious damage.

Just what don't I understand about them that makes them so great?

Grunge
08-03-2007, 19:53
Well its all covered in a post some pages forward. To sum it up, any army that specializes in anything will be (at least claimed to be) cheesy.

Examples: Gunlines, all artillery, all cavalry, all flyers... you get the point!

I dont see a Bretonnian Royal air force beeing THAT chessy, and I played with and against it some times already!

MarcoPollo
08-03-2007, 20:08
The thing that make PK so good is just what you said above. They are exceptionally agile and can hit hard. If you combine charge with them you are in good shape.

Plus, they help in stopping their expensive lances from getting flaned by fast flankers.

Very good support unit.

As a General army. I don't know. They can take up alot of space if they are fielded in units greater than 4.

pcgamer72
08-03-2007, 21:30
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69462

That oughta cover it. :)

sulla
09-03-2007, 04:30
Just what don't I understand about them that makes them so great?

They are flyers with a 360 degree charge arc and LoS. They can always hit you but you will struggle to bring them to bear with anything that can hurt them. They can easily destroy all of your fast light elements while simultaneously avoiding your heavy hitters...

I really don't know why they needed 360 LoS. They would have been much better balanced without it.

TheWarSmith
09-03-2007, 04:37
You'd propose making them a ranked flying unit?

Go ahead, but don't cry when you lose that rank bonus from being flanked.

Jonke
09-03-2007, 04:44
You'd propose making them a ranked flying unit?

Just restricting their los to the normal 90 degrees is a great idea imo. edit: This would apply to all flying cavalry.

Or dropping the pegs attacks to one and maybe decrease the strength to 3. I thought gw did not want mounts to be better than the rider (gob wolf riders being the exception).

TheWarSmith
09-03-2007, 04:53
How on earth would you determine 90 degree LOS w/ skirmishing models? The only way to do that would be to rank them up.

Jonke
09-03-2007, 05:24
How on earth would you determine 90 degree LOS w/ skirmishing models? The only way to do that would be to rank them up.

Erm, right. Just forget I posted anything on the subject. :rolleyes:

druchii
09-03-2007, 05:26
The thing that make PK so good is just what you said above. They are exceptionally agile and can hit hard. If you combine charge with them you are in good shape.

Plus, they help in stopping their expensive lances from getting flaned by fast flankers.

Very good support unit.

As a General army. I don't know. They can take up alot of space if they are fielded in units greater than 4.

I agree.

But how many points does a unit cost?

Compare that to the points in ranked infantry that a PK unit can destroy single handedly.

Usually PKs need to charge unit supported by another unit of PKs, which again, cost a ton of points compared to what they're destroying.

Affraid of Pegasus Knights? SHOOT THEM! They're T4, with a 3+(and possibly a ward). Magic works too, as most Bretonnian armies will be pretty magic lite the PKs should be pretty easy pickings.

Deal with them the same way you deal with opposing fast cavalry, and you can't go too wrong.

d

TheWarSmith
09-03-2007, 05:38
Magic tears them to shreds, and seeing as almost NO general will field units of 5+, killing just 1 will force ld8 panic, which isn't horrible, but it's not guaranteed by any means.

Finnigan2004
09-03-2007, 14:46
Completely restricting them to 0-1 would work to fix them. Having four units of hard hitting, flying skirmishers that complement a fast, heavy cavalry army is a little over the top. It's the same reason that chaos furies are restricted to 0-1.

TheWarSmith
09-03-2007, 15:06
and screamers.

The lord on pegasus should just allow another to be purchased IMO. Flying circus armies are just plain dumb, and I play a bret army.

Grunge
09-03-2007, 15:08
Or is it because Furies are cheaper and Core?

Imagine you have 4 units of 4 pegasus knights. Thats 1000pts not counting the Lord and the BSB you have to field. Its not THAT much but its quite a lot when your army is beginning to aim at 50 models or less. The Lord becomes a lot fragile and any hellblaster or heavy block of armoured infantry can easily stop 2 of these units.

Parka boy
09-03-2007, 16:03
I don't see with what's wrong with two units of them I'd just make them a rare choice.