PDA

View Full Version : Roll your own Pit Fighter!

anarchistica
08-03-2007, 20:11
In our campaign a lot of Heroes, the majority of them Leaders (:D) got sent to the Pits and they all lost. I figured it'd make sense to create a quick and easy system to create more manageable Pit Fighters. So far, it includes Humans and Ogres. Comment is welcome. :)

Levels

A Level is simply a thick black box giving you an Advance.

Level - XP required

1 - 2
2 - 4
3 - 6
4 - 8
5 - 11
6 - 14
7 - 17
8 - 20
9 - 24
10 - 28
11 - 32
12 - 36
13 - 41
14 - 46
15 - 51
16 - 57
17 - 63
18 - 69
19 - 76
20 - 83
21 - 90

Determine Level

Pit Fighters are always of a Level close to the challenger/victim/poor sod thrown in the pits. Roll a D6 to determine his Level, in relation to the challenger's Level.

1 = 1 Level lower (1 XP +1/W)
2-3 = Equal Level (2 XP +1/W)
4-5 = 1 Level higher (3 XP +1/W) [will hopefully in the future be replaced with a Dwarf, Orc of Elf]
6 = Ogre as opponent! (7 +1/W)

An Ogre always counts as being 5 Levels lower than the challenger. This means a Level 10 challenger will face a Level 5 Ogre (who rolls for only 5 Advances). This is to compensate for its S4, T4, W2, A2 and Cause Fear.

Note: A challenger of Level 17-21 will always fight against an Ogre. Those of higher Level will fight against 2 Human Pit Fighters of half his own Level.

Roll Advances

Human

Uneven Levels

1 = +1 Ld
2-3 = +1I
4-5 = +1 WS
6 = Rol on Even table*

Even Levels

1 = Rol on Uneven table*
2 = +1S
3 = +1T
4 = +1A
5 = +1W
6 = Skill (see below)

*You can only change tables once, reroll any further results telling you to change tables.

Skills

1 = Pinpoint Attacks (-1 armour save)
2 = Web of Steel (+1 critical rolls)
3 = Expert Armsmen (re-roll misses in 1st round)
4 = Strike to Injure (+1 injury rolls)
5 = Lightning Reflexes (strike in I order if charged)
6 = Step Aside (5+ save in HtH)

Pinpoint Attacks is a skill used in our campaign, Expert Armsmen was invented for this table.

Double skills/stats already maxed

See below for the maximum stats for Pit Fighters. If you roll a maximised stat or a skill the Pit Fighter already has, he automatically gets the next unmaxed stat/skill below it. Thus a Pit Fighter who has Web of Steel and Expert Armsmen would get Strike to Injure if he would roll a 2 or 3 (but not on a 1!). Similarly, if all "Uneven" stats are maxed, you only roll on the "Even" table. If those are maxed too, you only roll for Skills.

Starting/Max stats

Human

WS - 3/5
S - 3/4
T - 3/4
W - 1/2
I - 3/5
A - 1/3
Ld - 7/8

Ogre

WS - 3/5
S - 4/5
T - 4/5
W - 2/4
I - 2/3
A - 2/4
Ld - 7/8

Equipment

Roll a D6 to determine the equipment of the Pit Fighter. They automatically get a free skill related to it. Swashbuckler, Combat Training and Dual Wielder are more skills invented by me for use in our campaign. Here's their description.

Swashbuckler: When using a sword and buckler, can Parry by rolling equal to the highest enemy hitting roll. A roll of 6 is always a succesful Parry.

Combat Training: May fire a missile weapon with a range of 12 or less at an enemy fighting him in close combat.

Dual Wielder: No to-hit penalty for using two hand weapons. If you don't use such a penalty, ignore this.

Human

1 = Buckler, Sword, Light Armour (Swashbuckler)
2 = Shield, Hammer, Light Armour (+1 save in close combat)
3 = Great Weapon, Light Armour (Strongman)
4 = Helmet, Morning Star, Sword/Armoured Gauntlet (Dual Wielder)
5 = Spear, Net, Helmet (Combat Training)
6 = Axe, Axe, Light Armour, Helmet (Dual Wielder)

Ogre

Light Armour plus:

1 = Sword, Sword (Dual Wielder)
2 = Sword, Club (Dual Wielder)
3 = Axe, Club (Dual Wielder)
4 = Club, Club (Dual Wielder)
5-6 = Great Weapon (Strongman)

Fastforward rlz
21-03-2007, 18:40
Hurmm that does seem like a good idea. A bit confusing but with time I think i could get the hang of it. I'll try and use it and see how it goes :-D

anarchistica
21-03-2007, 19:54
Yeah i'm not big with the explanations (it's a rules writers tic). What exactly is confusing, the whole step from Levels to Advances, right? :o

Fastforward rlz
22-03-2007, 04:05
Yeah the figuring out the advances for the pit fighter. Finding the leves is pretty easy, just count the boxes. It seems good in theory, have you tried it out frequently?