PDA

View Full Version : Expansion upon the Necrons

Unseeing Eye
25-07-2005, 11:53
My take:

HQ/Wargear:

C'tan: Scrapped

Nightmare Shroud: Enemies are at -2 LD for this check. Perhaps 5-10 points price increase?
Lightning Field: Don't know, but something needs to be done. Perhaps scrap it.
Ressurection Orb: Only applies to Lord and unit he has joined.
Solar Pulse: Used as per normal if night-fight rules under effect. Used at beginning of turn. Next game turn is played in Night-Fight (everyone is blinded). Perhaps a small price increase?

Elites:

Pariahs have problems, but I'll get to them later.
Immortals: Fine
Flayed Ones: Scrap the disruption fields thing. At either +2 or +3 points per model, the squad can gain the "Gaze of Flame" ability.

Troops: Fine

Fast Attack: Wraiths, 50 points total. Same as before, but gain Power Weapons. This makes them deadly and fast, but incredibly fragile.
Destroyers fine
Scarabs fine

Heavy Suppourt: When a Tomb Spyder creates a Scarab Swarm, it works as thus when attacked:

Enemy may direct attacks against either Scarabs or Tomb Spyder. When being directly attacked, the Tomb Spyder can allocate up to one of the attacks to each scarab base.

I think Tomb Spyders should also be BS3

Monolith: Drop the Living Metal rule. 200 points even.

New Vehicle: Ziggaraut. Mini-monolith. AV12 all around, Gauss Flux Cannon (like the Flux Arc but only against *one* target), has the teleport abilities of the Monolith. 50 Points, 1-3 as a Heavy Suppourt choice. Warriors, Immortals, Pariahs and Lords may stay in reserve and enter through a Ziggaraut or Monolith. All units with the Necron special rule may be teleported to the Ziggaraut (not Pariahs).

What I'm trying to achieve here is a force that moves fast and hits hard, but goes down fast to concentrated firepower. The Ziggarauts mean that the Necron army can set up a teleport "Network," with the ability to launch units across the board over several turns, rapid firing on the way. The Flayed Ones are more of a counter-assault unit, making charges against shooty units less effective until next turn when they can hopefully zip away. I've also tried to tone down some of the 'cheesier' units and improve some of the 'worthless' ones.

Now, to the books of the C'tan! (no C'tan themselves, just their servants)

TheSonOfAbbadon
25-07-2005, 11:58
I think the Ziggaraut should cost more than 50pts, a rhino costs 50pts and it's only armed with a stormbolter and it only has 11 armour on the front, 10 on back and sides!

Unseeing Eye
25-07-2005, 12:14
The Book of the Dragon:

The Dragon is the most powerful C'tan and knows it. He toys with mortal beings--he likes to play favourites with his little playthings. He does what Necrons do best--almighty shooting. He looks down upon the constructs

Lord may take a Lightning Staff (name?). Like Staff of Light but double range and is not a power weapon in close combat for +10 points (?)

Warriors may take 0-1 Gauss Blasters per 10 Warriors at 10 points.
Immortals may take 0-1 Gauss Cannons per 5 Immortals at 10 points.
Destroyers may take 0-1 Heavy Gauss Cannons at +15 points.

No Tomb Spyders allowed. 0-1 Scarab squads.

The Book of the Outsider:

The Outsider has a focus on the Necron constructs more than anything else. Taking a great deal of inspiration from the Tomb Defense Force on the old Portent:

May take a Tomb Lord as HQ. 120 (??) points. A Tomb Spyder with +2 WS, +2 I +1 A +1 W 2+ Sv. May not take Wargear.

Scarabs are troops. Do not fill up compulsory selections.
0-1 Fast Attack choices. Tomb Spyders moved to Elite, Pariahs and Immortals to Heavy Suppourt. 0-2 Heavy Suppourt. Ziggarauts and Monoliths removed.
Only Warriors, Flayed Ones (if infiltrating), Scarabs and Tomb Spyders start on table. Other units must come on by deepstriking withing 6" of a Tomb Spyder (they do not scatter). Army does not phase out, but to take WBB rolls the squad must be within 12" of a Tomb Spyder.

The Book of the Nightbringer:

Flayed Ones become troops, Warriors moved to elites. Destroyers become Heavy Suppourt. No Immortals (?)

Moving the destroyers in HS limits the heavy firepower of the army, as does the lack of Immortals and Warriors. But how cool would it be to have a whole load of Flayed Ones, Wraiths, Scarabs and a Destroyer Lord?

Book of the Deciever:

HQ:
Necron Lord
Techpriest (0-3 per HQ slot, comes with 3+ save, power weapon, acts as Tomb Spyder for WBB, can repair traitor vehicles on a 6. Can never join a Necron unit. ?? Points)

Elites:
Flayed Ones
Warriors
Perhaps Skitarii? Similar to Inquisitorial Stormtroopers.

Troops:
Cultists galore. Similar to Alpha Legion chaos cultists, but with only infiltrate. Can take Gauss Flayers as a special weapon. May add a Pariah to the squad at +36 points.

Fast Attack:
Scarabs
Sentinels
Destroyers
Wraiths

Heavy Suppourt:
Some sort of combat walker?
Ziggarauts
Heavy Destroyers
Tomb Spyders (may repair traitor vehicles)

Unseeing Eye
25-07-2005, 12:16
I think the Ziggaraut should cost more than 50pts, a rhino costs 50pts and it's only armed with a stormbolter and it only has 11 armour on the front, 10 on back and sides!

But the Ziggaraut can't move, comes in halfway through the game, and only has a 12" range. However, you do make a valid point. Perhaps something around 75?

TheSonOfAbbadon
25-07-2005, 12:58
But the Ziggaraut can't move, comes in halfway through the game, and only has a 12" range. However, you do make a valid point. Perhaps something around 75?

Um, I don't think you said that it didn't move and comes in halfway through the game. So maybe 60 or 65pts?

wilting_laughter
25-07-2005, 13:17
What I'm trying to achieve here is a force that moves fast and hits hard, but goes down fast to concentrated firepower.

That isn't how I see necrons at all. I see them as slow and unrelenting with technology that lets them do awe inspiring fancy things.

x-esiv-4c
25-07-2005, 14:16
I like the "book" idea. The Ziggurat needs a point increase. Download the EPIC necron army book, it has some new interesting things in it worth a ready.

Unseeing Eye
26-07-2005, 07:50
I love the Epic Necrons, but sadly the machines are a bit too large to include.

Wilting: They are described as a raiding force, and as such the 'slow march of death' has never really made sense to me.

Also, a bit I forgot. In the Book of the Deciever, the following special rules take place:

Phase Out: When the Necron models on the table are reduced to below 25% of their starting number, they phase out. Pariahs are included for this count. For the purpouse of Victory Points, Pariah Squad leaders count as dead, and squads are 'shifted' one category. E.g. Units that count for 1/2 points when the Necrons phase out count as full points, units that count as no points count for half points. Note that the cultists remain in play.

The Gods have Abandoned Us!: When the Necrons Phase Out, all remaining units of Techpriests, Cultists and Skitarii not engaged in close combat must make an immediate Morale check, falling back as normal if they fail.

EDIT: Would 75 points be more fair for the Ziggaraut? Also, I've been thinking about the Deciever combat Walker and I've come up with this:

Harvester (name?)

The Harvester is a walker piloted by a Techpriest, who is wired into the machine. Think Pentinent Engine. It is a traitor machine augmented with Necron technology.

The Harvester has BS4 WS3 I3 A3, AV 12 12 10 . It has two Warsycthes with in-built Gauss Blasters. For gaming purpouses, the Warscythes increase the Harvesters strength from 6 to 10, and make it ignore armour and invulnerable saves. If one is destroyed, the Harvester is reduced to S6. If both are destroyed, it can no longer ignore armour or invulnerable saves and loses an attack. 120 Points?

One arm may be replaced with a Gauss Cannon for +10 points or a Heavy Gauss Cannon at +15 points.