PDA

View Full Version : BFG Newbie

Freak Ona Leash
25-07-2005, 13:22
Yep, BFG newb reporting in mates. I have decided that commanding my own fleet of miles-long ships is just too fun to pass up and have started a BFG fleet. My question is, what is a good fleet and what are good, not-cheesy army lists? I was thinking of starting an Ork fleet but Im not sure now...

Vberg
25-07-2005, 13:59
Im an imperial man myself but the ork fleet would be lots of fun to play by tyhe looks of things. Especally those brute ram ships, could they be more Orky? Their not my favorite models but thats just me. Be easy to convert though, they are orks. Yeah go for the orks i say.

Freak Ona Leash
25-07-2005, 14:39
Hehe, ram ships. 25 points as well. Though I've been looking at those Demiurg ships and the Space Dwarf in me is calling out...oh, I'm so conflicted dammit!

ReDavide
25-07-2005, 14:57
My question is, what is a good fleet and what are good, not-cheesy army lists?
Just include a decent mix of weapon & ship types, and your list won't be cheesy. BFG is suprisingly well-balanced (with the possible exception of Necrons vs. Eldar).

I was thinking of starting an Ork fleet but Im not sure now...
Do it! I've never even heard of an Ork player, much less seen one. There's way too many Imperial & Chaos folks out there. :)

erion
25-07-2005, 15:02
Do it! I've never even heard of an Ork player, much less seen one. There's way too many Imperial & Chaos folks out there. :)

That's primarily due to the fact that those are the only ships available in plastic.

Inquisitor Samos
25-07-2005, 15:10
If you want to do Demiurg, you'll pretty much have to do Tau: Demiurg are currently just Tau allies in BFG, at least from the official fleet lists. A limited number of ship models, too, and all produced by Forge World.

Orks are a characterful fleet in BFG, but can be kind of hard to gat a handle on (i.e. winning can be a tough proposition) unless one can get in a properly "orky" mindset! They're also more a raiding fleet than a battlefleet, even with the extra ships included in Armada; they don't always stand up well in larger-points-value games, tend to do better in smaller games, from what I've seen.

I usually recommend that newbies start out in BFG playing Imperial and/or Chaos for a few games, and switch to other fleets once better acquainted with the rules. One can always proxy or borrow some ships to try out the fleets, before sinking money into the minis. This can save you buying a bunch of ship minis for a fleet you then decide you don't like or can't get into playing! ;)

Inquisitor Samos
25-07-2005, 15:21
That's primarily due to the fact that those are the only ships available in plastic.
And also due to the fact that the plastic Imperial and Chaos cruisers are the ones included in the boxed game set, which was the only place one could get the rules and game markers, prior to the SG "living rulebook" page and posting of things online. ;)

(The sad truth is, no other BFG ships besides the original-game-box cruisers are likely to ever be done in plastic..... the potential sales numbers most likely won't make it cost-effective to mold anything else in plastic for BFG. It'll be metal or resin for anything new.....)