PDA

View Full Version : Using regiments from other armies as Dogs of War?

Belerophon709
09-03-2007, 15:50
Hey there...

The last time I played WHFB, some 10 years ago, it was allowed for armies to include regiments from other armies at an increased points cost. Have these rules been removed completely since then, or are they still available through the DoW-lists? I have read through the DoW-lists and can't find anything on the subject...

Might be obvious to the lot of you, but I've been away and I'm a bit confused.

Asking this question since my regular playing partner might want to field some HE-units together with his Dwarf-force, and I would welcome the diversity, but we are quite unsure if it's even allowed through the regular rules, and how to calculate points and so on...

Thanks in advance.

Belerophon

Avian
09-03-2007, 15:53
Apart from limited access to some human, dwarf and ogre units through the Dogs of War and Ogre Kingdoms list, there are no rules for allies as you think of it anymore.

That being said, nothing should stop you from adding some High Elves to your Dwarfs if your opponent thinks it is okay, even if it is not possible with the standard rules.

Belerophon709
09-03-2007, 15:55
What a shame... :(

Thanks for the quick reply.

T10
09-03-2007, 18:26
Hey there...

The last time I played WHFB, some 10 years ago, it was allowed for armies to include regiments from other armies at an increased points cost.

Increased points cost? I recall there was a limit of 25% allies, but I cannot recall an increased cost of allied troops.

Never did use allies much, anyway.

-T10

Belerophon709
09-03-2007, 20:05
As I remember, the price for the allies were something like original cost + 50%.

I might be wrong though, it was along time ago afterall...

Crazy Harborc
10-03-2007, 02:38
As I remember, the price for the allies were something like original cost + 50%.

I might be wrong though, it was along time ago afterall...

I don't remember paying extra points for the allied troops. But then, ten years ago I was still wacked out daily due to w.o.r.k.

Anyhow.......talk it over with opponents, work out a deal.....improvise. Great ideas can be done in when the players agree. It's a good idea to write it down, then try it out.

kruzkal
10-03-2007, 03:43
Instead of having a 2,000 points army for example, try have a 1,500 points army from one race and a 500 points army from another. Both army book legal. This will restrict your choices somewhat but it should be more balanced than just throwing some outside units into your army.

EDIT: A bit like a 2 v. 1 game if you will.

Tutore
10-03-2007, 09:18
I played that way back in 5th edition, where you were limited to 25% points of allies, although it was often difficult to fluffy the choice. A friend of mine played wood elves with dwarf cannons. It seemed a very stupid choice, perhaps effective and viable but yet stupid. Now, but also in 6th edition, you may only include one allied unit as a rare choice, choosing between the units which have the Dogs of War rule (the ones in the DoW book plus many ogre units).

Revlid
10-03-2007, 09:53
I played that way back in 5th edition, where you were limited to 25% points of allies, although it was often difficult to fluffy the choice. A friend of mine played wood elves with dwarf cannons. It seemed a very stupid choice, perhaps effective and viable but yet stupid. Now, but also in 6th edition, you may only include one allied unit as a rare choice, choosing between the units which have the Dogs of War rule (the ones in the DoW book plus many ogre units).

Not only one. You can have any number of DoW units, as long as they don't take up more slots than you actually have. Remember that some RoR take up Special Slots.

enyoss
10-03-2007, 10:38
If you end up using High Elves with Dwarfs, I hope you bring back the Elven Distrust rule (all Dwarf units within 6" of High Elf units suffer -1 to their Ld) :). This goes some way to balance the fact that using HE with Dwarfs essentially eliminates all their weaknesses. Oh, and it fits perfectly with the background :).

Cheers,

enyoss

Tutore
10-03-2007, 21:34
Not only one. You can have any number of DoW units, as long as they don't take up more slots than you actually have. Remember that some RoR take up Special Slots.

Right. I always think at MY usual roster :)