PDA

View Full Version : Tooling up Vamps

FatOlaf
09-03-2007, 17:49
What's your opinion on basic arming of vamps, Lets take a basic Thrall, I have always been a big believer in the old GW S7 attacks but am beginning to feel that it's such a waste of their massive I, is it better to get 2 H/w and get 4 S5 attacks and get to go pretty much first in every round of CC.
Or is it better to make sure you are going to kill everything stone dead first turn and hope that's enough to win CR and then break them...

Just cant decide myself........

DesertDirge
09-03-2007, 18:11
Vamps should try to deal out as much damage as they can to win the combat.. the unit they are in are just there to soak up damage.

FatOlaf
09-03-2007, 18:29
I know that but should I go high S lower attacks and go last turn 2 (if there is one) or low S higher attacks?

DesertDirge
09-03-2007, 19:01
higher strength. You want him to kill whatever he goes up against. So put all magic equip towards defense and give him a greatweapon.

LemonPotato
09-03-2007, 21:05
I would probably go for a halberd on a thrall, he keeps his good initiative and with a good WS will be hitting on 3's with most attacks with a strength of 6. Of course I play strigoi so mine get 4 attacks at strength 6 due to iron sinews with the hatred rule all for a juicy 95 points!

Hope this helps,

LemonPotato

dominic_carrillo
09-03-2007, 22:48
im a fan of the flying thrall of doom. a Strigoi with bat form is cheaper than other thralls and in a game of any size, he is brutal when his charge is combined with a unit of fell bats.
for blood dragons, i rock a great weapon and red fury
von carsteins: i give him the wolf skin nikes, the flayed hauberk and a great weapon

Kahadras
09-03-2007, 23:42
I'm a bit of an all rounder when it comes to my Vampire thinking. The plan I have at the present moment is for a single Vampire count in my army that looks something like this...

Vampire Count + Walking death, Aura of dark majesty, Ring of the night, extra level and barded nightmare

Basicaly he does a little bit of everything. He's the army general so can stay back and use his necromancy to raise new units or inflict casualties on the enemy. His Aura of Dark Majesty also help with the support aspect as it widens the range that my troops can march. He's also OK in combat with his ward save and barded nightmare (he's going to hide in a unit of Black knights) plus he can support the overall combat resolution with Walking death

Kahadras

gukal
10-03-2007, 00:05
I have always been a big believer in the old GW S7 attacks but am beginning to feel that it's such a waste of their massive I

Keep taking the great weapon. But remember that you don't always have to use it. Many times, you'd be wounding on 2+ with your hand weapon (any T3 troops) and the basic strength negates a 5+ armor save.

I couldn't begin to count the times that I was needlessly striking last against goblins or skaven slaves. :)

- Gukal

explorator
10-03-2007, 01:40
Blood Dragons often end up in challenges and I have found that the combo I use most often is the great weapon and the bloodline power that allows rerolls for missed attacks in the first round. In those cahllenges you will usually be hitting on 3+ with a reroll, and wounding on 2+, with a -4 save mod. This will drop many characters. For mounted Vamps the great weapon is not such a good option anymore with only +1 str.

Darknight
10-03-2007, 01:43
Bloodrinker is always good for a laugh - he's hanging around for days. Tomb Blade is good as tarpit as well. Sword of Unholy Power is also a great laugh.

dominic_carrillo
10-03-2007, 02:35
Bloodrinker is always good for a laugh - he's hanging around for days. Tomb Blade is good as tarpit as well. Sword of Unholy Power is also a great laugh.

hahahahahahaah you're dead.

Varath- Lord Impaler
10-03-2007, 03:44
Dominic...what?

having a character with little extras like that isnt exactly bad.

dominic_carrillo
10-03-2007, 06:00
Dominic...what?

having a character with little extras like that isnt exactly bad.

when i play an evil vampire wielding an unholy sword i rarely laugh. i actually cry, because those are points better spent elsewhere.

eleveninches
10-03-2007, 09:01
vamps do need to deal out damage, but they also need to be able to survive, or else the rest of the army crumbles.

FatOlaf
10-03-2007, 13:02
Keep taking the great weapon. But remember that you don't always have to use it. Many times, you'd be wounding on 2+ with your hand weapon (any T3 troops) and the basic strength negates a 5+ armor save.

I couldn't begin to count the times that I was needlessly striking last against goblins or skaven slaves. :)

- Gukal

Yep I've done this many a time, must remember..

vampires are cool!
11-03-2007, 16:28
Thrall - i'm partial to sword of might, heavy armour and an enchanted shield.
Count - depends
Lord - carstien ring

sephiroth87
12-03-2007, 04:31
Count: Aura of Dark Majesty, hand weapon, barded steed, ring of the night. I noticed that mine looks and acts a lot like Kahadras'. Mine sits back in a skeleton unit, summons stuff, and cleans up what the other stuff can't finish off.

I never take thralls. I've just found wight lords to be a heck of a lot more efficient and a little cheaper for what they do. My wight lord has heavy armor, shield, barded nightmare, and the sword of kings.

vampires are cool!
12-03-2007, 13:54
Its a good combo, I rarely give him any other weapon though. If i have another in the army he generaly has a mundane weapon and the Flayed Hauberk.

eleveninches
12-03-2007, 16:58
flayed hauberk is a waste of their magic items allowance. 1+ armour save can easily be achieved by blood dragons with barded steed and enchanted shield

FatOlaf
12-03-2007, 17:50
flayed hauberk is a waste of their magic items allowance. 1+ armour save can easily be achieved by blood dragons with barded steed and enchanted shield

For BD yes but other lines it's an essential bit of kit, my thrall never leaves home without it..

EvC
12-03-2007, 18:05
I really need to give my Vampire Count a Halberd on top of his Lance, as even though he usually gets the charge, it's not guaranteed (Especially when you play Dark Elves who tell you the Banner of Murder triples movement distance during charges ;) ). Nice way of spending afew spare points, too.

Given that sephiroth87 was talking about Wight Lords and Thralls, neither of which can take Full Plate armour no matter the Bloodline, it's safe to say the Flayed Hauberk is a great piece of armour to take! You're right in the case of Blood Dragon Counts/ Lords of course, I've advised more than one person that they're wasting points by giving the Flayed Hauberk to a Blood Dragon Vampire Count...

Tili
12-03-2007, 20:49
Characters in my 2K force:
1 Count with bat form and summon ghouls
1 Thrall with bat form
1 Thrall with bat form
1 Necro + 2 dispell scrolls

Hatred and 4 attacks @ WS6 and S5 for 125 points : very nice

FatOlaf
13-03-2007, 14:06
Characters in my 2K force:
1 Count with bat form and summon ghouls
1 Thrall with bat form
1 Thrall with bat form
1 Necro + 2 dispell scrolls

Hatred and 4 attacks @ WS6 and S5 for 125 points : very nice

Thanks for that but not really on topic, I wanted to know what people like 'arming' their vamps with, ie 2 H/w over GW etc

Mister Hat
13-03-2007, 20:55
I take 2 VonC thralls. I give the BSB the hauberk and a Sword of might, and the other guy gets a GW and wolf form.

I guess it depends what role they are fulfilling. The wolf thrall is there to charge out of the unit and kill chariots if required. The BSB is there to survive. With the Sword of Might and high I he can usually hold his own. He actually makes for quite a nasty suprise. Many is the time when character assasins (of whatever hue) have tried and failed to kill him.

Voltaire
15-03-2007, 01:16
Strigoi;

Count
Level 2 Wizard, Curse of the Revenant, Iron Sinews
My general and the main fighter. He is going to just try and outfight while being a good all rounder.

Thrall
Bat Form
Assassin. He will accompany a unit of Fell Bats and provide some much needed support.

Necromancer
Level 2, Book of Arkhan, Dispel Scroll
Obligatory bit of magical support. There to fill the much needed gap in the magical arsenal.

Wight Lord
Sword of the Kings, Gem of Blood, Shield, Heavy Armour
There for accepting challenges from enemy characters and coming out better off.

Scythe
15-03-2007, 11:03
Striking on initiative means less opponents remain alive to kill your skeletons and maul your combat resolution score. However, S7 has its advantages. I am a big fan of sword of might, enhanced shield, red fury and master strike on my blood dragon count/lord. A lot of S6 attacks, very good armour save, and killing blow, while still striking on initiative. For vampires who can't use a shield to boost their armour save, a great weapon is a lot more tempting though.

vampires are cool!
15-03-2007, 12:22
Agreed, however Lahmians can be a massive let down regardless of what you give them, as they're limited so much by their weapon unallowense and their powers arnt that universal. With the ladies i find its best to tool them up for magic and minimal combat use.

Bit of a waste of points though, so i rarely take them.

Voltaire
15-03-2007, 12:42
Ah, sorry about my divergence from the topic.

When presented with the choice I believe it should come down to what you think is going to kill more. Ultimately your goal is going to be to kill as many enemies as possible and your choice in weaponary should reflect this accordingly.

Nkari
15-03-2007, 12:43
Thrall BSB, Flayed hauberk, Sword of might. best combo there is imho.

Deathknight
15-03-2007, 16:36
Thrall BSB, Flayed hauberk, Sword of might. best combo there is imho.

I believe that's too many points. Thrall Magic/Blood line limit is 50. Hauberk and SoM is 55. But I don't have the book in front of me at the moment....

FatOlaf
15-03-2007, 16:55
I believe that's too many points. Thrall Magic/Blood line limit is 50. Hauberk and SoM is 55. But I don't have the book in front of me at the moment....

No it's fine, hauberk is 30, SOM is 20, total is 50, all good...
Never thought of making a thrall a BSB but that combo looks good..

Nkari
16-03-2007, 01:38
Nope, its spot on as FatOlaf says.. =)

And yes, the extra 25pts is well worth it to make him a bsb, to bad banshees lost a little in value tho otherwise I just love tieing down units that can win with a maximum of 1 with a banshee and the bsb close by to soak up that wound.. =)

Deathknight
16-03-2007, 03:03
Well, that's what you get when you don't have your book with you...:eyebrows:

Here's one of my favorite Thralls..:evilgrin:
BD Thrall: Barded Nightmare, ha, lance, Enchanted shield, SoSteel, H Piercing. Or you can change HP for MS if you like KB. Either choice is good imo.

You can run him in wherever unit you wanted. You have WS 8, S8 on the charge, S6 thereafter, and a 1+ sv.

But if you use him as a BSB you can't take a lance, or shield....:( But you would still have S6 attacks.

kiron
16-03-2007, 06:16
sorry, best combo is flayed halberk, wolf form, and BSB. You will see WE player cry cheeze at that model! no ranks/standard so just outnumber which matches the standard. So now down to kills....umm....2 dryads vs. your 1+ AS thrall, hm.....or even better 3 glade guards.....he can take out any light/medium calvary by himself also.

Scythe
16-03-2007, 10:55
Heh, I would love to see how such a model would look. A wolf with a thick suit of armour and a battle standard...:D

Deathknight
16-03-2007, 12:22
Take you pick of any of the wolves here. Best I've seen!!! Just model a standard on 'em and your set!!

http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/liste_familles.cfm?type=normal&num=6&code_lg=lg_us

http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/liste_familles.cfm?type=normal&num=11&code_lg=lg_us

My favorite though....:evilgrin:

http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/images_produits/DVEL03.jpg

Gimp
16-03-2007, 12:36
I have always liked the Van Carstien Ring it makes your Vampire Lord really hard to kil.

What do you guys think of it.

FatOlaf
16-03-2007, 14:21
I have always liked the Van Carstien Ring it makes your Vampire Lord really hard to kil.

What do you guys think of it.

For my lord or Count, I never leave home without it... shame it's a 100 points though ;)

Gimp
16-03-2007, 15:12
For my lord or Count, I never leave home without it... shame it's a 100 points though ;)

:eek: WOW:eek:

Someone who agrees with me.

Alot of VC players I know really hate the old Ring but it does mean you cant take the 18 inch march thing :cries: .

vampires are cool!
16-03-2007, 15:55
My Lord is the only one who's allowed it. It is a shame that its such a points sink. Some dwarf player i used to game with called it a cheep way to win.
*Rage eyes*

Gimp
16-03-2007, 16:33
it effectively give you a re-rollable +4 invunerable save.

Makaber
16-03-2007, 16:50
By far my personal Thrall ever is T10's Von Carstein (Carstein, not Carstien) with the Flayed Hauberk, Sword of Might, and a Battle Standard. Not only does he hit like a ton of bricks, but he's also his own standard bearer, and he's by default always within 12" of the standard so he doens't crumble easily either. I've had the damn guy tie up a unit of Cold One Knights with a character for an entire game. He's just really really flexible.

eleveninches
16-03-2007, 17:31
lords/heroes i use in my 2k force:

321 points: Blood Dragon Vampire Count (sword of unholy might, barded nightmare steed, full plate armour, shield, red fury, strength of steel, army general, killing blow)

140 points: lv2 necromancer (staff of damnation)
145 points: lv2 necromancer (cloak of mist and shadows)
140 points: lv2 necromancer (power scroll, dispell scroll)

Scythe
18-03-2007, 09:49
My Lord is the only one who's allowed it. It is a shame that its such a points sink. Some dwarf player i used to game with called it a cheep way to win.
*Rage eyes*

Tss, the Dwarf players who get 1+ rerollable armour saves on top of a 4+ ward save are complaining?

Anyway, I use the ring from time to time if I play Carsteins. It is pretty usefull if you expect to go head to head with really dangerous characters (Chaos spring to mond, but now also Orcs with the +3 S and A axe), as it increases your chances of staying alive dramatically. However, it is always a hard decision between the ring and the march within 18" power + some other stuff.

FatOlaf
22-03-2007, 16:53
Anyway, I use the ring from time to time if I play Carsteins. It is pretty usefull if you expect to go head to head with really dangerous characters (Chaos spring to mond, but now also Orcs with the +3 S and A axe), as it increases your chances of staying alive dramatically. However, it is always a hard decision between the ring and the march within 18" power + some other stuff.

Yeah always my dilemma, you have to protect your count/lord but you really want give him something else from the bloodline powers.
Thats why I'm hoping in the new VC that bloodline powers get a seperate allocation like the LM spawnings.

Do people think the Ring is wrongly/rightly priced???

EvC
22-03-2007, 17:30
Since regen isn't so good it's not really worth all the magic items allowance; it'd be nice if it also imbued its own with the "Aura of Dark Majesty": it's THE heirloom of the entire bloodline, it only makes sense that such a person vampire would have a more commanding presence.

(Although I suppose it isn't necessarily so, however, as one of the Ring's three owners was not a leader of the undead)

Scythe
23-03-2007, 09:33
Yeah always my dilemma, you have to protect your count/lord but you really want give him something else from the bloodline powers.
Thats why I'm hoping in the new VC that bloodline powers get a seperate allocation like the LM spawnings.

Do people think the Ring is wrongly/rightly priced???

For all your allowance, it is a bit expensive I find. Maybe not so much in investment, but the fact that you lose all options for other items and powers hits you pretty hard. With the cheaper magic items overall in the newer books, I wouldn't mind the ring going down to 75-80 points.

Frankly
23-03-2007, 12:07
Great weapons and steeds were the best point effective weapons you could get in 6th Ed, hands down.

Now(not that I've played undead for a long time), I'd go you wolf form, summon wolves(maybe) and GW. Over anything else if I was filling a hero slot with a combat character.

The only other real option I prefer is a Wight Lord with a lance on a steed in a unit with B.o.t.Borrows.

B.knights are such great heavy hitting unit and the armybook gives you so many different armylists and ways to use them, that I prefer to take very few bloodline taints and almost no magic items to get more B.Knight units into the list.

javaguru
23-03-2007, 22:25
I always mount my Von Carstein thralls on barded steeds. It gives them good mobility, extra protection, and they can join infantry units and not be targeted under the new rules.