PDA

View Full Version : HE vs Slann question

Fallen_star
09-03-2007, 17:49
I recently try'ed out my high elves against a lizardmen player with a slann and a mass of skinks both of us were magic heavy.I should also mention he was a little bit arrogant to say the least.The first situation.....

I successfully cast fortune is fickle on the slann however he says the slann is immune to miscasts looking at the wording I was left uncertain losing patience it was rolled off I lost.

Second match he used a couple of skink priests casting through them so I charged one with my lord with null stone.His line was the slann was casting the spells through him so the stone had no effect on him blasting away......

Any words of wisdom appreciated I lost the first match but won the second with my eagle lord of meanness.

DarthBinky
09-03-2007, 18:29
Well, Slann aren't immune to Miscasts. If they roll double 1's (or any doubles under Fortune is Fickle), the spell they are casting still automatically fails. They just don't have to roll on the Miscast chart. This is clearly stated in the Lizardmen book.

As for the telepathy thing, he was actually right, from what I can tell. As long as it's the Slann casting the spell, all the Skink is doing is giving extra LOS. The Slann still counts as casting the spell in all other respects. Just bear in mind that you can't cast spells into combat unless the spell specifically says so, and the Skink's LOS will be severely diminished if he's engaged in combat.

DeathlessDraich
09-03-2007, 18:52
Hello and welcome Fallen_Star

Just to add one extra pt to Darth's correct answers
2) Telepathy : The range of spells is always measured from the Slann even when he casts through the Skink Priest. The priest simply allows him to have a greater arc of sight e.g. if the priest is behind the Slann , the Slann casts magic missiles backwards!
The Null stone would have worked if your prince is within 6" of the Slann.

Fallen_star
09-03-2007, 19:51
Many thanks for clearing that up DarthBinky I was mainly playing to get a feel for what HE are like in larger games and they just came up.

DeathlessDraich---- He was measuring distance from the offending little priest which ill mention next time we meet though it was annoying since he was using a spell that made my lord WS1....getting beaten up by a midget not fun(well till the eagle got lucky and ate him :D).

Jonke
09-03-2007, 21:51
I successfully cast fortune is fickle on the slann however he says the slann is immune to miscasts looking at the wording I was left uncertain losing patience it was rolled off I lost.

Slanns of 4th generation and greater never have to roll on miscast table. Double 1 is only automatic failure.

Second match he used a couple of skink priests casting through them so I charged one with my lord with null stone.His line was the slann was casting the spells through him so the stone had no effect on him blasting away......

Slanns can use the skinks for los, the slann has the same los as any skink priests on the table. But the slann in all respects (range e.g.) is the caster. So a null stone would only have effect if 6" from the slann.

He was measuring distance from the offending little priest

This would be correct if he was using the sc lord Kroak, if not it is wrong. Lord Kroaks telepathy is more powerful, he can cast spells through skink priests, effectively making the priest the caster. How null stone would work with this I don't know since I don't have the lm book with me to check the exact wording.