PDA

View Full Version : Fanatic Stomping

Mordu22
10-03-2007, 01:24
I had a game in which my lord on shield bearers happend to be grouped with a bunch of handgunners late in a game(it was a crazy game). Booth sides with heavy casualties. Anywho, a small group of night gobbos moved close enough to me and released some fanatics they didn't make it to me and the golbins finished there move with the fanatics inbetween us. My turn i wanted to charge, but didn't want to take fanatic caustualties. Since my lord was runed up for defense, I charged him out of the unit over the fanatics and into the NG's and followed up with the rest of the unit. We didn't know if this works, as he didn't have his O&G book.
The Lord kills the goblins because he is a single model us 3+, I thought he did.
And the unit can still follow the lords charge cause he doesn't get in the way?

Don't have the O&G book and don't want to wait a week (rematch) to find out.

Jonke
10-03-2007, 01:31
First: characters wich has joined a unit must charge with the unit if the unit charges. If the character charges out of the unit the unit cannot charge.

Second: to kill a fanatic you have to end your movement on top it. It is not enough to just run over them.

Tutore
10-03-2007, 08:12
Jonke cleaned already the situation. If the characters makes a solo charge, which he obviously can, the unit he leaves cannot charge that turn. So Iīve always played, I hope to be right, the BRB says that if a unit charges and a character is in this unit, he cannot leave the unit.
If you trample a fanatic during a charge but donīt end the movement on top of it, the fanatic doesnīt die. You only take the S5 hits.

monkeyboyalpha
10-03-2007, 15:34
I had a game in which my lord on shield bearers happend to be grouped with a bunch of handgunners late in a game(it was a crazy game). Booth sides with heavy casualties. Anywho, a small group of night gobbos moved close enough to me and released some fanatics they didn't make it to me and the golbins finished there move with the fanatics inbetween us. My turn i wanted to charge, but didn't want to take fanatic caustualties. Since my lord was runed up for defense, I charged him out of the unit over the fanatics and into the NG's and followed up with the rest of the unit. We didn't know if this works, as he didn't have his O&G book.
The Lord kills the goblins because he is a single model us 3+, I thought he did.
And the unit can still follow the lords charge cause he doesn't get in the way?

Don't have the O&G book and don't want to wait a week (rematch) to find out.

Like my other comrades have stated, you have to charge with both elements of the unit, it's the Dwarf king solo, or Dwarf King and unit together, not 1 then the other...

In response to your fanatic querry, allow a greenie to help.

If you use a model or unit to eliminate fanatics you have to END your movement ON TOP of the fanatic, in which case the model who is standing on the fantatic will take 2D6 ball and chain hits, THEN the fanatic is removed, and the mine has been cleared, so to speak.

If you PASS THROUGH the fanatic and do not end your move on it you will take the 1D6 hits, but the fanatic will still remain in place and you will move over it.

You could only do 1 movement with the Dwarf King per turn, so you can only stand over 1 fanatic per turn to remove it (you can't charge the fanatic as you can't engage a fanatic in combat, your charge will take you on through the fanatic to your target unit), the other fanatics that were released from the Gobbo unit will still be there.

So you would in theory have to spend 3 movement turns walking on top of the 3 fanatics, 1 fanatic each turn, to remove them all from the area, this is of course if you didn't take enough hits to kill you off, you would be taking a grand total of 6 D6 hits off 3 fanatics over the course of 3 turns.

The solution to clearing a fanatic minefield is to shoot them with your gunners.

MBA

Festus
10-03-2007, 15:56
Hi

and to top it all off... any unit can kill a Fanatic by stopping on it, even single characters of US1 - you do not need to be US 5+ or something.

Not that it is easy to shrug off the 2D6 S5 hits, though :)

Festus

T10
10-03-2007, 23:42
Wraiths.

-T10

monkeyboyalpha
11-03-2007, 00:27
I believe he's a Dwarf player, and thus does not have access to a Wraith? ;)

Greyfire
11-03-2007, 06:04
and to top it all off... any unit can kill a Fanatic by stopping on it, even single characters of US1 - you do not need to be US 5+ or something.Festus

You do have to survive the hits to count as being on top of him, right? Kinda obvious but I'm dense sometimes. So if the fanatic wipes out the unit I'm trying to do this with then he sticks around to swing another day.

-=- Greyfire

Festus
11-03-2007, 09:36
Yes, you have to be still there to end up on top of him :D

DeathlessDraich
11-03-2007, 10:34
So if the fanatic wipes out the unit I'm trying to do this with then he sticks around to swing another day.
-=- Greyfire

Once a unit ends its move over a Fanatic, the Fanatic will die after inflicting hits. If the unit is wiped out by these hits, the Fanatic is still dead.

Aelyn
11-03-2007, 13:11
Once a unit ends its move over a Fanatic, the Fanatic will die after inflicting hits. If the unit is wiped out by these hits, the Fanatic is still dead.
Actually the damage is inflicted in the middle of the movement, but the squash-check is only made after the movement is finished, so if the unit dies or runs away, the fanatic survives.

The wording in the book is a little vague, but it specifies the hits are made immediately contact is made when the fanatic moves into a unit, and a unit moving into a fanatic takes hits exactly as if the fanatic moved into the unit.

Of course, if the moving unit is wiped out by the fanatic's death-throes, the fanatic is still removed.

monkeyboyalpha
11-03-2007, 13:28
The Fanatic doesn't survive.

If a model/unit ends its turn on the fanatic the model/unit takes 2D6 hits and then the Fanatic is removed..

The rule does not stipulate whether you must survive the hits in order for the Fanatic to be removed, just that you take 2D6 hits and then the Fanatic is removed.

Ending your move on the Fanatic is not the same as moving through the Fanatic, or it through you. Ending your move on the Fanatic is an entirely different entity.

Aelyn
11-03-2007, 14:27

If a model/unit ends its turn on the fanatic the model/unit takes 2D6 hits and then the Fanatic is removed..

The rule does not stipulate whether you must survive the hits in order for the Fanatic to be removed, just that you take 2D6 hits and then the Fanatic is removed.

Ending your move on the Fanatic is not the same as moving through the Fanatic, or it through you. Ending your move on the Fanatic is an entirely different entity.
Hm. It depends somewhat on exactly when the hits are dealt - I've always figured that the hits interrupt the movement so that, if a unit flees after moving into fanatics, it flees from where it touched the fanatic instead of where its move finished.

The main thing as far as I can see is that if a unit moves into a position where it would be on top of the fanatic, and runs away, the fanatic shouldn't die because the unit clearly hasn't ended up on top of the fanatic.

Festus
11-03-2007, 14:41
Hi

If a model/unit ends its turn on the fanatic the model/unit takes 2D6 hits and then the Fanatic is removed.
Nope, that is not the way it works:

First the unit has to make contact with the Fanatic, as usual. It is then dealt 1D6 hits. If it survies these hits (and does not panic), it can choose to stay on top of the Fanatic.

If it does so, the Fanatic is removed after dealing another 1D6 hits. If the unit now flees or is wiped out is of no relevance to the fanatic's fate: it is killed regardless.

Note that it is not simply 2D6 hits for the unit, but it rather is 1D6 hits and then a further, additional 1D6 hits.

So if the Fanatic kills the unit with the first 1D6 hits, there is no unit left to kill the Fanatic by standing on top of him.

Festus

feeder
11-03-2007, 17:04
Festus is 100% correct.

Parka boy
11-03-2007, 18:22
Indeed he is :)