PDA

View Full Version : Spikyjames does Dark Angels

Pages : [1] 2

spikyjames
10-03-2007, 18:22
hi all

Well seen as how i'm going to be doing a fair few of the new DA bits i thought i'd jump on the bandwagon and start up a log specifically for them.

Initially i'll be concentrating on my ravenwing army, this will be based on a 1500 point core force followed by an additional 500 point's to give me a few more options. My aim is to have these done by the end of april but hopefully sooner, these will be a purely gaming force so will contain very few conversions if any and will be painted to my gaming standard.

Once these are done i have a few of the DA veterans that i will put together and also a 1500 point deathwing army that i may paint depending on what other stuff i have to do. Throughout this i will be maintaining painting on additional units for the Mentors and various other projects that i have on the go, i will try and keep this updated as often as possible.

OK what going to be in the Ravenwing?

it will basically consist of 3 battle forces and the commander in his land speeder, there will be both a medic and a standard bearer in there also.

a couple of pics just to wet you appetite-

(you may have already seen this in my general log)
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/WIP%20Stuff/100_1554.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1588.jpg

i will hopefully have at least 1 biker done tonight so expect a painted pic either tonight or tomorrow morning.

thanks for looking

james

Darkseer
10-03-2007, 18:25
God damn! You're a painting machine :eek:

Do you have a day job?

Sling
10-03-2007, 18:29
Cool. Pleased to see even more of my favourit SM :) But...erm, wy are the bikes in blue paint without undercout? :wtf:

dave is the best
10-03-2007, 18:29
do you have the bits for the medic as i have all the parts spare if you want the. Im looking foward to seeing this army done.

DAve

spikyjames
10-03-2007, 18:50
Cool. Pleased to see even more of my favourit SM :) But...erm, wy are the bikes in blue paint without undercout? :wtf:

these were the first lot i put together from some old bikes i aquired.

do you have the bits for the medic as i have all the parts spare if you want the. Im looking foward to seeing this army done.

DAve

yeah i do have the medic parts, but may need some more. i'll get back to you.

now, lets get painting:)

james

P.S.- @ Darkseer, yep i have a rather busy job, just paint when i'm not working.

sheep
10-03-2007, 19:02
Awesome start, look forward to the first painted pics.

Cheers

Sheep

Darkseer
10-03-2007, 19:06
P.S.- @ Darkseer, yep i have a rather busy job, just paint when i'm not working.

Or does your wife do all the base coating while you're bringing home the bacon? ;)

schoolcormorant
10-03-2007, 19:33
looking good mate :)

can't wait for the painted ones

SC

Destris
10-03-2007, 19:35
Looking forward to seeing them painted Spiky. :)

BTW, any ideas on how to do robes? :)

D.

spikyjames
10-03-2007, 20:19
when i do robes i will probably do them snakebite as a base, then i'll build up bleached bone and then a final highlight of skull white.

james

spikyjames
11-03-2007, 00:03
ok then, as promised here's the first bike done. he's still got to be varnished.

let me know what you think.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1589.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1590.jpg

1 down, 17 to go:D

james

El-Diablo
11-03-2007, 00:08
Looking good. Is it safe to assume the white on the front fairing is the same as your mentors armour?

El Diablo

Steel_Legion
11-03-2007, 00:10
looking good, nice clean paintjob, white as usual is great, keep it up, this is a top biker you got here

Deadleyheadley
11-03-2007, 00:13
It looks sweet mate :) looking forward to seeing more ;)

spikyjames
11-03-2007, 00:14
Looking good. Is it safe to assume the white on the front fairing is the same as your mentors armour?

El Diablo

yeah pretty much except that it's done from black.

i started with a shadow grey base coat followed by spacewolf grey and then the skull white on top of that.

james

Weregerbil
11-03-2007, 00:23
Ooh pretty, you paint to a great standard really fast.

BodhiTree
11-03-2007, 00:43
Awesome stuff, James. Just wondering, I know you're painting them on a deadline, but are you eventually going to plunk them on some bases? I'd go with 40mm round bases, but modified cavalry bases aren't a bad idea either.

Chaos Lord Primus
11-03-2007, 00:47
As always Spikyjames, you deliver. My only niggle is the transfer, but the varnish will clear that up.

Khrangar
11-03-2007, 04:04
That's quite sharp looking. A whole army of these would look striking.

Khrangar

athedrivein
11-03-2007, 04:18
:O i Love it alot!

Yay another spikyjames painting log!

Althanan
11-03-2007, 04:27
*sigh*

Everytime I think I may be becoming a decent painter, I make the mistake of looking at one of your logs...

Suffice to say, the tester looks badass and I'm sure the rest will only be better ;)

spikyjames
11-03-2007, 09:51
thanks for all the feedback guys:)

As always Spikyjames, you deliver. My only niggle is the transfer, but the varnish will clear that up.

yeah i didn't want to spray it last night as there was a bit of damp in the air, he's gonna be done very shortly.

if anybody want's to know where these large 1's come from they're off of the vehicle transfer sheet.

james

Sling
11-03-2007, 11:21
Your a painting machine, Spiky! :eek: And you paint much better than most human ;) Anyway, great job as allways.

Zodiac
11-03-2007, 11:41
Another Spikey log! YES!

Very very nice, I like the white, really clean and nice. Just like your mentors.. who look kick-ass as well.

Just one question:
Doesnt it feel unnatural to NOT have your miniature on a base?

doghouse
11-03-2007, 11:45
Excellent! I'm bit fan of your Mentors and the first biker looks great.
Definately be watching this one! :)

spikyjames
11-03-2007, 12:38
cheers guys.

@Zodiac, i've never really been a fan of bikes on bases, i'll probably wait until i've got all the bikes done before i sort out bases for them.

james

Zodiac
11-03-2007, 15:00
@Zodiac, i've never really been a fan of bikes on bases, i'll probably wait until i've got all the bikes done before i sort out bases for them.

Okidoki,

PS: I meant the 50x25 mm with the round ends eh.. not the square ones. ;)

Arhalien
11-03-2007, 15:03
Excellent, as usual :)

If this was any other Marine log I would probably ignore it, but with your painting Spiky how can I?
Subscribed :D

Tussky
11-03-2007, 15:07
Woho,really nice!
BTW why don't you paint the eagle head white or gold on the banner ? Because he looks too black.I know the scheme is black,but I think it will improve him a bit.

Sling
11-03-2007, 15:16
I agree. You should paint the eagle head. White? Silver? Something like that.

THE CHIEF
11-03-2007, 18:54
Woho,really nice!
BTW why don't you paint the eagle head white or gold on the banner ? Because he looks too black.I know the scheme is black,but I think it will improve him a bit.

Ravens are black you know ;)

Looking great IMO. :cool:

shaw3029
11-03-2007, 20:31
These guys are great. Really neat and clean.

FearFrost
11-03-2007, 20:39
Old school ravenwing, very nice! Red bolter casings are hard rockin :)

the dark angel
11-03-2007, 20:42
wow! those bikes look awsome, mine will never be that good :( anyhow good luck!

hertz
11-03-2007, 20:51
At last! SpikyJames does DA&RW!
I have been waiting for this, you know.. ;)

spikyjames
11-03-2007, 21:23
well here's the next bike, doing this seemed to drag today. don't quite know why.

plasma gun guy-
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1591.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1593.jpg

next up will be a sarg with power fist.

james

P.S.- keep up the encouragement guys, i think i'm gonna need it.:)

BodhiTree
11-03-2007, 21:28
Hey, if you keep cranking out one a day, you won't even need our encouragement. All the same, it looks great. :)

Time for me to get back to work.

devolutionary
11-03-2007, 21:33
It looks great, except for the front wheel armour plating. The highlights are rather jagged, and there are dots of grey on the flat plates. It contrasts heavily to the smoothness of the highlights on the rest of the model and sticks out in my mind. You're still heaps better than me though, so kudos! :D

hiveminion
11-03-2007, 21:36
Excellent work spikeyjames, your black armour puts mine to shame. I don't think there are many people who can say that that's their gaming standard!:)

Lostdruid
11-03-2007, 21:44
Great work here, the only thing I don't like about them is the mouth piece thing they have. They don't have any highlights, (I don't think many people do highlight them), and it just looks too black and too blank. A tiny little thing though, other than that they look great. :)

Btw, many a time people have said that your tabletop standard is, in their eyes, far above most models. I was wondering what you consider to be above tabletop standard, either by showing a model you've painted or a model someone else has painted. Just thinking, as they seem showcase quality to me.

Cheers. :)

spikyjames
11-03-2007, 22:32
Btw, many a time people have said that your tabletop standard is, in their eyes, far above most models. I was wondering what you consider to be above tabletop standard, either by showing a model you've painted or a model someone else has painted. Just thinking, as they seem showcase quality to me.

Cheers. :)

the reason this is my tabletop standard is purely because i don't paint mini's for any other reason other than to play games.
for mini's that are well above tabletop standard you need look no further than the likes of Razza, mudski and spacemonkey(sp).

i like to get a fairly quick result as i'm often painting to a deadline. i may at some point slow down and start attempting good display mini's. i am considering taking a bit more time over my next main army which will probably be nearer the end of the year.

as always thanks everybody for the feedback.

james:)

old guard
11-03-2007, 23:02
Looking forward to the speeder, I trust you are going to do the master of the ravenwing either on jet bike or speeder?

Great looking as ever

spikyjames
11-03-2007, 23:39
yeah, i'm gonna do both eventually, but currently have a speeder for him.

FearFrost
11-03-2007, 23:50
Are you going to base your bikes?

spikyjames
12-03-2007, 13:34
Are you going to base your bikes?

as i've said i'll probably have a look at doing this when i get nearer the end of the army, i'll have a look at making the bases and see what i think.

james

Nife
12-03-2007, 13:43
yeah pretty much except that it's done from black.

i started with a shadow grey base coat followed by spacewolf grey and then the skull white on top of that.

james

The bikers look fantastic, as others have said really crisp and clean. In your earlier post (quoted above,) you've described how you do the white - I was wondering if you just use the stock colours or do you use any intermediate stages?

Also the black highlights are really fine - is this a case of time and patience or is there some trick to it? Mind me asking what colours you use to highlight the black?

Fantastic stuff!

spikyjames
12-03-2007, 16:50
The bikers look fantastic, as others have said really crisp and clean. In your earlier post (quoted above,) you've described how you do the white - I was wondering if you just use the stock colours or do you use any intermediate stages?

Also the black highlights are really fine - is this a case of time and patience or is there some trick to it? Mind me asking what colours you use to highlight the black?

Fantastic stuff!

yeah i only use gw stock colours, i keep them fairly watered down throughout the process.

for the black the only highlight is a line of codex grey. that way it's easier to neaten up mistakes just by using chaos black.

james

Angel Robertson
12-03-2007, 16:52
Is that it?! Just one highlight of codex grey???

AR

hiveminion
12-03-2007, 17:05
I guess you wash it with some watered-down chaos black then, otherwise it would expect it to stand out much more. Hmmm, I might just try and see if it works for me, highlighting black without the first dark grey highlight...

Chaoschrist
12-03-2007, 17:17
Those bikes look sweet :)

As I'm doing a Ravenwing army myself now, I'm curious about the bike fairing. How did you paint the white on? What stages of color did you use?

spikyjames
12-03-2007, 17:34
Is that it?! Just one highlight of codex grey???

AR

I guess you wash it with some watered-down chaos black then, otherwise it would expect it to stand out much more. Hmmm, I might just try and see if it works for me, highlighting black without the first dark grey highlight...

yep just the one highlight of watered down codex grey, no washes.
i had a good look at the studio ravenwing on friday and it looks like that's all that's been done so i just copied them.

Those bikes look sweet :)

As I'm doing a Ravenwing army myself now, I'm curious about the bike fairing. How did you paint the white on? What stages of color did you use?

the white's been done in three stages over a black undercoat.

1st coat- shadow grey

2nd coat- space wolf grey, this needs a few layers just to build up the colour.

3rd coat- skull white again this needs a few watered down layers, also make sure you use fresh water.

i try and keep my painting as simple as possible, that way i don't have to try and remember any colour mix's when painting an army. it also helps to keep the army fairly unified.

hope that all makes sence.

james

Sling
12-03-2007, 17:35
Shadow grey, SW, skull white. He said it allready :p
EDIT
Nah, spikey was faster :( :p

Lardidar
12-03-2007, 18:21
Hey hey,

The bikers look fantastic, how do you do the metal parts? It looks darker than boltgun to me, perhaps a black wash?

I appreciate the fact you share all your techniques with us :)

spikyjames
12-03-2007, 18:35
the metal parts are boltgun metal with a 2 parts black 1 part brown ink wash with a little washing up liquid added.

no problems with giving out my techniques/method.

james

Arhalien
12-03-2007, 19:40
All I can say is well done... again :D Very nice work.

One small criticism, which i think has already been mentioned is that the helmet looks a bit plain; having the grill painted in another colour would help a lot I think.

Fenriz
12-03-2007, 19:54
well here's the next bike, doing this seemed to drag today. don't quite know why.

P.S.- keep up the encouragement guys, i think i'm gonna need it.:)

Speaking as a both a former Black Legion and a Ravenwing player, i know how you feel. Black models are a real drain to paint, and get boring very fast. Just doing the black body armour on my guard is driving me insane.

Keep up the good work though, they look stunning. Ill be making sure i drop in regularly to keep up with your latest work and give encouragement.

Good luck mate. :)

Melchiah
12-03-2007, 20:10
the white's been done in three stages over a black undercoat.

1st coat- shadow grey

2nd coat- space wolf grey, this needs a few layers just to build up the colour.

3rd coat- skull white again this needs a few watered down layers, also make sure you use fresh water.

When i did this last night I ended having to do 2 coats of the SG, 3 or 4 coats for the SWG, and i ended waterng down the Sk.Wh. more then i should so i took it to 2 coats, needs from finishing up. Its so simple and easy, that it needs an infomercial.

Great Harlequin
12-03-2007, 20:18
Amazing as ever Spiky. :)

Just an observation - the white in the corner of the eye is much more pronounced in your second biker, and that makes (strangely enough) the world of difference for me as it breaks up those areas of black quite well.

hertz
12-03-2007, 21:50
Spikeyjames: I, being a RW collector too, have found that I prefer my bikes on a suitably big base, as it adds so much to the model. I use a 40mm round base cut in two, extended with a 40mm square base. I can provide a picture if you so wish.

heldane
12-03-2007, 22:17
Spikeyjames: I, being a RW collector too, have found that I prefer my bikes on a suitably big base, as it adds so much to the model. I use a 40mm round base cut in two, extended with a 40mm square base. I can provide a picture if you so wish.

Same as what i've done with my blood ravens. What have you done for your attack bikes though? I was pondering on 60mm raised round bases myself.

Cheers

Dan

spikyjames
12-03-2007, 22:24
yeah let me see what they look like, i'm still open to suggestions on bases.

james

spikyjames
13-03-2007, 00:11
well it's another day and another mini finished.

this time it's the sarg with his power fist and flowing robes.

pics aint the best:(
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1595.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1597.jpg

next up will be an attack bike, i'd imagine i'll probably have it finished on wednesday at some point.

cheers

james

Steel_Legion
13-03-2007, 00:14
looks pretty bad ass to me, pointing fist rocks and the red is very well done, they are not the foundation paints are they on the red?

spikyjames
13-03-2007, 00:16
nah not got any foundation paints yet. not sure if i will TBH. i'm quite happy with gw's range at the mo.

james

Strelok
13-03-2007, 00:19
Spiky, where do you take your pictures? Do you simply take them on a monochrome and apply gradient or what?

Siromcyre
13-03-2007, 00:22
Looking good, but I think the way you are painting the metal lets the models down a lot. Very messy and blotchy, or so it looks from the photos. A fairly understated colour as well. Except for that, a great looking army is shaping up.

spikyjames
13-03-2007, 00:27
Spiky, where do you take your pictures? Do you simply take them on a monochrome and apply gradient or what?

have a look here- http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1311441&postcount=427

Looking good, but I think the way you are painting the metal lets the models down a lot. Very messy and blotchy, or so it looks from the photos. A fairly understated colour as well. Except for that, a great looking army is shaping up.

yeah on the first three it's not turning out too great, i think this may be because these have been painted before and i never took too much time cleaning them up(this is me just making excuses), TBH as i've said before they're just a tabletop army and my aim is to try and get them out there asap.

i may touch them up a bit as i go along.

thanks for the feedback.

Fenriz
13-03-2007, 00:31
Very very nice. Simple and striking, as the Ravenwing ought to be.

Any thoughts on how youll be basing them? Got any specific coulours or themes in mind?

Nife
13-03-2007, 00:32
You've really gotten that white sorted to a tee... ;)

That guys face rocks! The rest is pretty damn good too...

I've actually found painting metallics on plastics to sometimes return 'substandard' results no matter how much effort you put into it, sometimes it just doesn't seem to take right...

Strelok
13-03-2007, 00:33
Hahaha, that explanation is excellent, so simple with great results. I might just try it.

schoolcormorant
13-03-2007, 00:33
Fantastic work James :) i think the red on the inside of the robe is very well done and a much needed bit of colour into the model.
the only thing i might suggest is paint the bolter shells in the mags brass colour but thats just me i guess.
it's lovely stuff mate, i can't believ you've painted 3 bikes in like 2 days or something

SC

Fenriz
13-03-2007, 00:35
i can't believ you've painted 3 bikes in like 2 days or something

Indeed, i cant even spur myself to paint that many Gaurdsmen in 2 weeks let alone 2 days. :cries:

Melchiah
13-03-2007, 05:30
Indeed, i cant even spur myself to paint that many Gaurdsmen in 2 weeks let alone 2 days. :cries:

I got you beat there my friend, yesterday was the first time i painted something in like a year.:eek:

spikyjames
13-03-2007, 08:18
thanks for the feedback guys.

@nife- i didn't think the face came out too well in the pics, there's too much shadow in there, the inside of the hood's actually painted red aswell. i'll try and get a better pic at some point today.

james

Althanan
13-03-2007, 08:28
Again with kicking my models in the rear spiky ;)

... any chance you could take a peek at my (albeit crappy) log and give any pointers? Please?

Angel Robertson
13-03-2007, 09:27
Again looking really really nice! HOw will you be doing sammael on a speeder? What will you use?

AR

spikyjames
13-03-2007, 11:43
Sammael? well i've been thinking about this a fair bit. he will be helmetless probably either the new head that comes with the dev sprue or the one from the DA sprue, he'll probably have robes on aswell(although you wont be able to see them). i'll probably use alot of icons and scrolls and stuff from both the new da sprue and ravenwing sprue.

i'll probably be making him on sunday night, i'll get pics up on monday.

james

Bromhead
13-03-2007, 11:48
spikyjames very nicely done :) I am very much liking your style...

I am looking at your painting style and it could be just me but I notice a certain familiarity to my own - but at a much quicker rate and far less layers (which is certainly something I am very envious of lol).

How long does it take you to do a model? Everything is straight from the pot more or less right?

I can see what some of the others mean about the metal... when things don't turn out completely right do you normally go back and touch up or is it more important to just field them?

All in all some seriously wonderful stuff...

spikyjames
13-03-2007, 11:54
Cheers.

the bikes i rekon are taking me about 5-6 hours, i rekon i could do them quicker!
all the colours i use are straight from the pot with a little water added.

i may go back over the metals once all the stuff's finished, at the minute the aim is just to get these guys on the field.

thanks

james

Nife
13-03-2007, 11:57
thanks for the feedback guys.

@nife- i didn't think the face came out too well in the pics, there's too much shadow in there, the inside of the hood's actually painted red aswell. i'll try and get a better pic at some point today.

james

I actually looked at the shadow and thought it really brought out the stern look on the guys face - really brought it to life for me. Aloof... thats the word I'm looking for...

Look forward to seeing a better pic tho...

hertz
13-03-2007, 12:04
SpikeyJames: I can present this picture to you, its a thumbnail: http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1509/img0079rq0.th.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0079rq0.jpg)
Its that picture I already have on my imageshack, I can take a better picture if you want, though.

stahly
13-03-2007, 12:37
There is a nice tutorial for 40mm bike bases on the german GW site:
http://www.games-workshop.de/warhammer40000/races/space-marines/hobby/bikes/index.shtm
You may not be able to read it but I think the pictures speak for themselves. Click on "weiter" for some basing ideas.
Of course, you could use the same technique with 25-mm-bases.

There are also prefabricated resin bike bases by Micro Art Studio:
http://www.battlefield-berlin.de/shop/Media/Shop/micro_rbike.jpg

Byronas
13-03-2007, 13:35
Really good bikes there, spikyjames!

I am currently making my own ravenwing bike squad and your work is great inspiration. I don't recnognize the power fist you used for the sergeant. Is this the one from the chaos marine squad?

Melchor
13-03-2007, 13:41
It looks a lot like the Powerfist on the Devastator sprue. Here (http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/74129174.jpg) it is, just to the right of the center of the sprue.

Oh an great work as always Spiky! You never fail to amaze me with your beautiful paintjobs. They're all so crisp and clean. I'll be following this. :)

spikyjames
13-03-2007, 13:44
cheers for the pics of bases guys, i'll probably have a go at making some this weekend.

@Byronas- the power fist is from the new devastator sprue.

james

CaptainSenioris
13-03-2007, 13:48
Those bikes are looking really good.

Keep it up.

Angel Robertson
13-03-2007, 15:41
Slighly off topic of the threa but where do you get your brushes from spikey? Im sure you said you use winsor and newton and i know you posted a link somewhere but i cant find it!

I really like those micro art bases! ALmost want to make a ravenwin army just to use those!! lol!

Ar

tinfoil
13-03-2007, 15:42
Another way to do the bases would be to use Gale Force 9's magnatized oval bases (http://www.thewarstore.com/product4529.html).
They work well on the table -- fit 40K bikes quite nicely, and have just about the same footprint size as the rectangular bases.
E.g.,
http://www.dorkamorka.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/normal_chaos%20bike%20squad4.jpg

Dakari-mane
13-03-2007, 16:52
Another way to do the bases would be to use Gale Force 9's magnatized oval bases (http://www.thewarstore.com/product4529.html).
They work well on the table -- fit 40K bikes quite nicely, and have just about the same footprint size as the rectangular bases.

I had looked at them but decided not to as they cost a **** load :cries:

spikyjames
13-03-2007, 17:46
they don't seem too expensive. i think i'll probably make some as i've got loads of bases just lying around waiting to be used.

for brushes go here- http://www.artsupplies.co.uk/ci_brushes.php?item_id=529

Inquisitor lorr
13-03-2007, 18:04
The first pic of the sergeant just makes him look so cool,very menacing.Hes very good James and you're making fantastic progress.

charlie_c67
13-03-2007, 20:31
There is a nice tutorial for 40mm bike bases on the german GW site:
http://www.games-workshop.de/warhammer40000/races/space-marines/hobby/bikes/index.shtm
You may not be able to read it but I think the pictures speak for themselves. Click on "weiter" for some basing ideas.
Of course, you could use the same technique with 25-mm-bases.

There in English too now http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/basing-bikes/1/

HisGracetheDuke
14-03-2007, 00:15
Wow-wee, Not too bad at all mate :p

Simple but sweet. U are probably one of the better painters around here imo along with those tale of 4 gamers fellas (Sheep, SNA, Bromhead and of course the Hoff, - and they are fellow aussies too). Heavy Metal style rather than pure show like Razza or Mudski (who are awesome but there is just something to be said about a whole army of well painted minis).

Keep up the good work :)

spikyjames
15-03-2007, 00:48
hi all

as promised here's the attack bike, he's still got to be varnished, i'll do that tomorrow.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1598.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1600.jpg

also i've had a play about at making a couple of bases. let me know what you think. they're made from a normal cavalry base and a slotta base.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1601.jpg

and here's a pic showing the sarg's face a bit better.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1602.jpg

next up is going to be another 3 bikes.

good news aswell. i've now got my other 2 RW battle forces so i've got all the parts for the initial 1500 points.

james

Deadleyheadley
15-03-2007, 00:50
They look sweet mate :) I cant wait to start my RW but im putting it off until ive got 2 troop choices and a HQ :(

schoolcormorant
15-03-2007, 00:52
fantastic!
you are painting them faster than they drive!

SC

spikyjames
15-03-2007, 00:53
oh and here's a rather crappy pic of a company master i did a wee while back(ask no questions and i can tell no lies;))

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1311.jpg

i intend do add alot more detail at some point.

james

Strelok
15-03-2007, 01:18
Why did they have to redo the dark angels... now I want to go back and redo my own dark angels army... damn you GW, DAMN YOU!!! And it doesn't help that your stuff rocks, James.... arg...

hertz
15-03-2007, 01:29
Nice as usual, I like the inverted scheme of that Master there.
The bases looks good too, and will be very HtH friendly gameing-wise, but I (I did that to my WE bikers) find that the bike should have a little more space around it, compared with a ordinary marine on a base. In my opinion only, though.
One other thing: I find it somewhat boring when each and every biker are posed the same way, and prefer a little "something else" thrown in, are you going to do anything like that? someone carrying a teleport homer for example?

spikyjames
15-03-2007, 08:42
Why did they have to redo the dark angels... now I want to go back and redo my own dark angels army... damn you GW, DAMN YOU!!! And it doesn't help that your stuff rocks, James.... arg...

just give in, you know you want to:)

Nice as usual, I like the inverted scheme of that Master there.
The bases looks good too, and will be very HtH friendly gameing-wise, but I (I did that to my WE bikers) find that the bike should have a little more space around it, compared with a ordinary marine on a base. In my opinion only, though.
One other thing: I find it somewhat boring when each and every biker are posed the same way, and prefer a little "something else" thrown in, are you going to do anything like that? someone carrying a teleport homer for example?

yeah i know what you mean about the posing thing, i will do more with pistols and stuff, i'll have to try and figure out how to make a teleport homer aswell(great idea). please feel free to give me suggestion's people!!

cheers

james

Penguin of Death
15-03-2007, 14:43
Have you sen the new Black Gobbo? It has a whole section on bike bases and uses large square ones with half a 40mm termi base at each end

http://us.games-workshop.com/e-zine/issues/blackgobbo-87/default.htm

spikyjames
15-03-2007, 23:41
well another day another mini, i made a point of sitting down and actually trying to time myself doing him. started just before six and finished just after ten, so just over 4 hours:D

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1603.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1604.jpg

hopefully i'll have the complete squadron finished by the end of the weekend.
then it's on to squadron 2.

bye for now.

james

schoolcormorant
15-03-2007, 23:54
looks perfect james, but the bolt pistol muzzle looks a little torn. i suppose a problem fro m the barrel drilling.

he looks great :)

how many bikes for the squadron?

SC

spikyjames
15-03-2007, 23:58
only another 2 and a land speeder. yeah that barrels a bit pooh:( never mind he'll get lost in amongst the rest.

did you see the master i painted on the last page?

james

schoolcormorant
16-03-2007, 00:16
yes, it was fantastic mate, everything you do is :)
i liked the main colour of bone, it shoudld draw more attention to im and shows that because of his rank he can be flamboyant :D

was the face you're usual recipe? he looks old :p
SC

pompeyladbfp
16-03-2007, 00:20
yep, anoher dodgy deal to get hold of him?.... its nice sculpt, but i do love the feathered head helemt. you planning on sticking up a rough list? i got two dark angel battleforces to start my red scorpions and so tempted to do bike army, only costabout £150 rrp so could get it for about a £100.....

Siromcyre
16-03-2007, 01:47
The metal fairings on the last biker are a huge improvement to the ones you first did. The cleanliness emphasises the lines of the sculpt better, and suits your cleaner style much better. The bases look like a good idea as well.

Xyon
16-03-2007, 05:54
Great work! I hope to be able to paint my RW as good as yours!

Holycrusader
16-03-2007, 07:57
You are a fast... But why you are in such hurry?
its a very nice tabletop

spikyjames
16-03-2007, 08:24
cheers guys

You are a fast... But why you are in such hurry?
its a very nice tabletop

because i have other projects to get done and i don't like playing games with unpainted stuff:)

james

Strelok
16-03-2007, 08:28
Ahh, the greatest of reasons. I wish I had that sort of drive... I need a tournament within a reasonable amount of time that will drive me to finish an army...

AmKhaibitu
16-03-2007, 08:45
What exactly is your recipe for the robes as I too am doing robes, and yours look stunning.
I'm mainly thinking I need to replace my bone.

Angel Robertson
16-03-2007, 09:17
Same as usual there james! Excellant looking bike! How many squadrons are you planning on having? DO you ever block paint your vehicles?

AR

spikyjames
16-03-2007, 15:17
What exactly is your recipe for the robes as I too am doing robes, and yours look stunning.
I'm mainly thinking I need to replace my bone.

thanks

the robes were done this way-

snake bite leather over a black undercoat

layers of watered down bleached bone

final highlight of skull white

Same as usual there james! Excellant looking bike! How many squadrons are you planning on having? DO you ever block paint your vehicles?

AR

3 squadrons and a master(both options)for the initial 1500 points, with a chaplain, another three bikes and three typhoon's to make it up to 2000 points.

cheers

james

Fred_Scuttle
16-03-2007, 15:55
Very nice Black - a real beacon of hope to the rest of us!

AmKhaibitu
16-03-2007, 21:10
Thanks SJ, might be worth me getting some fresh snakebite and bone at some point soon, hmm white final highlight, might test that :D

Always best to learn from people who know their stuff, which you obviously do as a fellow unmixed painter.

lorbaat
17-03-2007, 03:31
I had looked at them but decided not to as they cost a **** load :cries:

Ask Tinfoil how much those bikes cost. Go on, ask him.

spikyjames
17-03-2007, 10:47
hi all

well this guy was finished last night but i couldn't get on here for some reason?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1608.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1607.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1606.jpg

only one more bike and the speeder to go for this squadron:D

james

dave is the best
17-03-2007, 10:50
thats really cool. I love your raven wing.

Dave

hiveminion
17-03-2007, 11:31
Looks amazing, like the rest of them. I've been trying to highlight black armour like you do but I wonder how much water do you mix with the codex grey? 50:50 mix? Because it looks quite dark on yours, and mine just look, well, codex grey.:)

spikyjames
17-03-2007, 16:12
tbh i just put as much water as it takes to make it at least the consistency of milk (ish).

on another note i now have the MotR on his jetbike:)

cheers

james

Cassora
17-03-2007, 17:44
Have been watching this thread for a while and all I can say is, god I wish I could paint like you....

Madfool2
17-03-2007, 18:01
Awesome stuff here, keep painting for the paint god....or not.

75hastings69
17-03-2007, 18:58
Hey Spikyjames, can I ask what colours/techniques you used on the SM eye lenses? I have never done a SM force, but these DA are really tempting me, I also bowed down to FW again and ordered one of their DA Venerable Dreadnoughts! Your painting of these minis has set me longing even more!!!

As usual everything is looking tremendous!

spikyjames
17-03-2007, 19:39
Hey Spikyjames, can I ask what colours/techniques you used on the SM eye lenses? I have never done a SM force, but these DA are really tempting me, I also bowed down to FW again and ordered one of their DA Venerable Dreadnoughts! Your painting of these minis has set me longing even more!!!

As usual everything is looking tremendous!

cheers mate, glad i inspire you.:)

for eye lenses i do it this way-

small amount of scab red leaving only a touch of black in the rear corner

even smaller amount of blood red leaving a touch of scab red showing

then a line of blazing orange along the top of the red

then just a spot of white on the black area.

hope that helps.

james

LemonPotato
17-03-2007, 21:19
Looking good James. I cant wait to see the MotR.

LemonPotato

spikyjames
17-03-2007, 23:52
cheers mate.

and the last biker for this squadron is done:D

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1609.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1610.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1611.jpg

tomorrow i should have the speeder done.

cheers

james

schoolcormorant
17-03-2007, 23:59
you're a bit like the rain man of painting... :D

cool stuff, i really like the little RW symbol in the light, if only you could get a batman one :p

SC

Still learning
18-03-2007, 00:23
far out! nice work

Angel Robertson
18-03-2007, 09:34
Awsome work again! YOu really are cranking these out! HOw did you do the plasma heat coils? Apologies if this is the millionth time someone has asked!!

AR

spikyjames
18-03-2007, 11:13
for the plasma coils i use an old colour called jade green. i add white gradually until it's almost pure white.

not sure if gw still do this colour?

james

Lord of Skulls
18-03-2007, 13:03
GW has stopped doing Jade Green, but you can get almost exactly the same colour by adding white to Scaly Green.

And your Ravenwing looks excellent as always, Spikyjames:)

sanctusmortis
18-03-2007, 13:35
That is just amazing. Superb painting there.

natedogg710
18-03-2007, 16:58
They look awesome, great job on everything. If only the Ravenwing Battle Force was out in the States so I could be painting my Ravenwing.:(

I can't wait to see more.

spikyjames
18-03-2007, 17:33
well that's one squadron complete.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1615.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1614.jpg

and the whole lot together
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1617.jpg

i'll be putting the next squadron together tonight.

james

Destris
18-03-2007, 17:34
Stunning Spiky, just stunning.

Easily 'Eavy Metal standard.

D.

Angel Robertson
18-03-2007, 17:43
Wow they look great together!! When will you be working on the MOTR??!!

AR

Strelok
18-03-2007, 19:14
I have a conversion I did a while back (as in, when GW published that picture of the Tammy Haye-converted MotR) of a RW biker pulling a wheelie while firing a flamer out to his side. I converted a squad of RW bikers for my DA after seeing the conversion. I'll take a picture as soon as I can pull myself out of bed.

Arhalien
18-03-2007, 19:20
Excellent Spiky, really excellent.

There isn't much else to say really :) :o

Strelok
18-03-2007, 19:29
A few torso twists and wheelies always throw in some variation.

Himself
19-03-2007, 06:02
As a longtime lurker, I can honestly say you are my favourite painter on these forums. While you might say there are 'better' painters here, you however deliver amazing results in lightening fast speed and are always offering advice, tips and telling people exactly how you do it.

Keep up the amazing work! :D

sheep
19-03-2007, 08:13
Awesome work, they look great, and so fast too.

Well done sir.

Cheers

Sheep

spikyjames
19-03-2007, 10:58
cheers guys.

tonight i'll mainly be building stuff, i'll show pics when they're all done.

i'm working slightly later days at work this week so the painting will be a bit slower.

james

athedrivein
19-03-2007, 11:06
:O
your group shot could easily be on the raven wing army box:P
NICE WORK!

Deadleyheadley
19-03-2007, 11:17
wow the group shot looks sweet ,So what you building next ?

spikyjames
19-03-2007, 11:22
wow the group shot looks sweet ,So what you building next ?

cheers mate.

i'm currently building another RW squadron with lots of melta goodness and the master aswell.

Deadleyheadley
19-03-2007, 12:07
cheers mate.

i'm currently building another RW squadron with lots of melta goodness and the master aswell.

looking forward to the master :) ,Im cant wait to start my RW ,I will be using yours for reference :D

Angel Robertson
19-03-2007, 13:55
I picked up the master yesterday ana am going to really try make him a centrepiece! Looking forward to the melta squadron! will the speeder be meltaed up the the max as well?

AR

LemonPotato
19-03-2007, 14:08
I too cannot wait to see what you can do with the Master of the Ravenwing, but still I would rather see some Grey Knight goodness being painted...:rolleyes:

That group shot really hits the spot,

LemonPotato

spikyjames
19-03-2007, 14:49
looking forward to the master :) ,Im cant wait to start my RW ,I will be using yours for reference :D

cheers, feel free to use the pics.

I picked up the master yesterday ana am going to really try make him a centrepiece! Looking forward to the melta squadron! will the speeder be meltaed up the the max as well?

AR

nah you don't have that option in the squadron, i will be making soem with meltas and assault cannon's:eek: once these are done though

I too cannot wait to see what you can do with the Master of the Ravenwing, but still I would rather see some Grey Knight goodness being painted...:rolleyes:

That group shot really hits the spot,

LemonPotato

cheer's. grey knight's are probably a long way off i'm afraid.

james

Angel Robertson
19-03-2007, 14:54
I havent really read the codex as i am refusing to play them while they are still the main release as everyone will be! lol!

AR

Kotobuki
19-03-2007, 17:00
oh and here's a rather crappy pic of a company master i did a wee while back(ask no questions and i can tell no lies;))

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1311.jpg

i intend do add alot more detail at some point.

jamesDude, it's Herman Munster.

Beyond that, very nicely done on everything.

Strelok
19-03-2007, 17:05
Seeing that the bare head does bear a striking resemblance to Herman Munster poses a bit of a dilemna: I don't know if that makes the model better or worse, hah. Either way, the paint job looks great. If anything, the purity seals just need something written on them, and maybe the dot in the middle of the crux (not sure if its medal or gem) just needs something to make it pop out a little more. I feel like a red gem would tie the reds of the model together well, but thats just my opinion.

shadowsun68
19-03-2007, 17:54
hi you realy inspire me to collect and paint the ravenwing force i have always wanted. I am thinking of magnets for the plasma and meltas so i can swap them when needed. How do you paint your red bolters if you dont mind me asking.
thanks
chris

spikyjames
19-03-2007, 20:32
Seeing that the bare head does bear a striking resemblance to Herman Munster poses a bit of a dilemna: I don't know if that makes the model better or worse, hah. Either way, the paint job looks great. If anything, the purity seals just need something written on them, and maybe the dot in the middle of the crux (not sure if its medal or gem) just needs something to make it pop out a little more. I feel like a red gem would tie the reds of the model together well, but thats just my opinion.

i fully intend to do a bit more work on the master at some point, so will probably add a few more details

hi you realy inspire me to collect and paint the ravenwing force i have always wanted. I am thinking of magnets for the plasma and meltas so i can swap them when needed. How do you paint your red bolters if you dont mind me asking.
thanks
chris

cool, glad i inspire you.

the red is a base coat of scab red followed by blood red and a small highlight of blazing orange.

cheers

james

Strelok
19-03-2007, 21:19
Awesome. I always love to see work on DA. My old stuff is pretty horrendous and will eventually need a repaint, so its great to stock up on ideas.

odmiller
19-03-2007, 21:20
These are really great. All the while I've been procrastinating on the RW by doing little bits and pieces on other parts of the army, you've knocked out a whole squadron.

inq.covenant
19-03-2007, 22:54
Amazing work. I really like the way you've assembled your Ravenwing, as well as the way you've painted them. The 'Eavy Metal team create some of the weirdest combinations and poses these days, yours look right! I want a Ravenwing force now. Not just a single squadron in a Dark Angels army - but an entire army in it's own right!

Himself
20-03-2007, 08:25
Seeing how the guys over at BandC are suggesting I add a RWAS to my army this topic is now even better for me :D keep up the amazing work!

Lardidar
21-03-2007, 19:00
Oi, you lazy squig whats happening :)

The army is looking great so far, I so want to get myself a RW army.

So much for quitting 40K :angel:

spikyjames
21-03-2007, 19:04
Oi, you lazy squig whats happening :)

The army is looking great so far, I so want to get myself a RW army.

So much for quitting 40K :angel:

i've been working later at work this week aswell as having to run my little gaming club last night so i haven't been able to get any painting done. i have however managed to get most of the latesy squadron built and the master has been put together aswell(just needs a bit of gs filling).

i'll try and get a pic of them put up later tonight.

quit 40k? how could you even contemplate it?

Lardidar
21-03-2007, 21:12
quit 40k? how could you even contemplate it?

I have been enjoying my fantasy and LOTR ..... but 40k's background and seeing superb armies like this one keep dragging me back in :)

I look forward to your next update.

Liselle
21-03-2007, 23:01
Looking good as always, I really like them. The dark colorscheme reminds me of BT, only mine don't really answer to that. It's only way better. Wanna see more :P

STGM
21-03-2007, 23:07
Hi James,

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before. Do you always completely build and assemble your miniatures before painting them?

Rikka Rakka
21-03-2007, 23:09
Inspirational mate, very nice. I should have some pics of my own up today and tomorrow.

doghouse
22-03-2007, 00:21
Awesome!
The first squadron looks great!

spikyjames
22-03-2007, 00:27
Hi James,

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before. Do you always completely build and assemble your miniatures before painting them?

no, for these the bikers and riders are all separate. i attach a paper clip at a point on the mini, for the riders it's between the legs(ouch), i'll try and get a pic for you tomorrow. in general though it really depends on what i'm painting as to how i put it together.

ok then time for an update of sorts, nothing really exciting just what i've managed to build over the last couple of night's.

squadron 2-
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1625.jpg

and the master on his jetbike-
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1628.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1629.jpg

the master still needs to have a few gaps filled with gs then he'll be ready for painting.

cheers for the comments guys, it helps to keep me motivated.
@Rikka Rakka, looking forward to seeing them.

cheers

james

schoolcormorant
22-03-2007, 00:36
ohh sweet James :) i'm building my master now, it's not too bad a fit as far as metal kits sometimes go IMO.

nice looking stuff, they'll be a lot better when painted though :evilgrin:

SC

El-Diablo
22-03-2007, 00:40
Anything special planned for the master James?

El Diablo

spikyjames
22-03-2007, 00:43
he's gonna be pretty much the standard paint job. i will be doing a landspeeder version of him aswell which will be a bit different from the gw one.

james

Angel Robertson
22-03-2007, 09:14
The look cool! I haven't even began to look at putting my master together yet! Mainly as i dont have a squadron to even go with him!

AR

75hastings69
22-03-2007, 09:19
Really looking forward to seeing your painted master.

THE CHIEF
22-03-2007, 11:11
The look cool! I haven't even began to look at putting my master together yet! Mainly as i dont have a squadron to even go with him!

He's not an IC so you can't attatch him to anything anyway. ;)

Back OT, you are getting through this lot like nobodys buisness spiky! It always takes me so long its untrue to even get a percentage of an army finished :cries:

I have also finally jumped on the bandwagon and ordered some Ravenwing and DA stuff - problem is I always get lots of really elaborate ideas for modelling so I doubt I'll have them ready even this year! lol :angel:

Angel Robertson
22-03-2007, 11:18
Yeah i know he dosen't need a squadron but i only field things i think are cool! SO having him with more bikes would look cool! lol!

AR

THE CHIEF
22-03-2007, 11:39
Yeah i know he dosen't need a squadron but i only field things i think are cool! SO having him with more bikes would look cool! lol!

Haha me too! :)

hiveminion
22-03-2007, 12:12
Nice work spikeyjames, but the Master looks a bit like he's nosediving into the ground in the second pic;) . Looking forward to seeing the lot painted!

spikyjames
22-03-2007, 15:35
cheers guys, glad i'm keeping you lot motivated:)

Nice work spikeyjames, but the Master looks a bit like he's nosediving into the ground in the second pic;) . Looking forward to seeing the lot painted!

it's probably just the angle of the pic, he's fairly low to the ground aswell. but i can assure you he's as level as he's going to be whoever makes him.

cheers

james

Lavadude360
22-03-2007, 18:44
get that master done!!

with your skill it will look awsome.

i demand it to be done!

please

pretty please

yourangerisagift
22-03-2007, 19:44
i'm really looking forward to seeing your painted master if he's anything like the standard as the rest of your raven wing he's gonna be mega!

no-use4a-name
22-03-2007, 19:57
i will be doing a landspeeder version of him aswell which will be a bit different from the gw one.

james

Now THAT'S! something I can't wait to see.

Deadleyheadley
22-03-2007, 19:59
Everything looks cool ,looking forward to seeing these all painted up ,And i cant wait to see the master all painted up ,All i can say is that I wish i had your skills and i hope one day that I can paint as good as you :D

dean
22-03-2007, 20:04
Deadley, you, Spiky, and several others make my painting look like a 5 y/o's with fingerpaints.

OrlyggJafnakol
22-03-2007, 20:06
I too would like to see your Jetbike... I have only seen the GW paint job and am looking forward to seeing another's interpretation.

spikyjames
25-03-2007, 14:02
hi all

sorry for the lack of updates, i've been away at the inlaws for the last few days.
but i have managed to get most of the next squadron done, including the medic and an idea for my standard bearer which i'm looking for a bit of help with.

next squadron(minus the standard bearer)
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1637.jpg

medic, i really wanted to use the techmarine helmet in the army somewhere, and i thought it fitted the medic quite well. i trimmed a few bits from it to make it look slightly less techy.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1638.jpg

and here's my idea for the standard bearer, the bikes already made, it just needs this bit added. the idea i've got is to trim the feathers off and add a standard to this part so it's actually attached to the bike as opposed to having the guy holding it. i just need to find a suitable banner to use.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1639.jpg

also do you think the rider should be in robes aswell?

james

THE CHIEF
25-03-2007, 14:10
Apothecary is good - Standard bearer is a good idea too, was thinking about that for mine...Yes give him robes!

shveen
25-03-2007, 14:23
Spikyjames this is one the best painted armies I have ever seen. I was thinking of starting a project log ,but looking at the standard of yours and others that idea went away along with world domination and trying to explain the rules of Warhammer to someone.

shveen

P.S Rock on teh ravenwing !!!

asmodai_dark86
25-03-2007, 15:19
The old empire plastic standard maybe? Has plenty of movement.

Or how abouta trimmed down beastman one? the pointy bit cut at the right angle could look really funky.

spikyjames
25-03-2007, 15:29
The old empire plastic standard maybe? Has plenty of movement.

Or how abouta trimmed down beastman one? the pointy bit cut at the right angle could look really funky.

got any of these spare? that's my next task, to try and get one of these.

james

Destris
25-03-2007, 15:37
This one Spiky?
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o80/Destris/DSCF0423.jpg

D.

spikyjames
25-03-2007, 16:13
yep that one will do. anybody got one?

james

luna wolf
25-03-2007, 16:14
cant wait to see samual painted

Destris
25-03-2007, 16:20
You can have that one if you want Spiky, it's kinda crappily glued. :)

In return for a couple of tuts of course...

D.

El-Diablo
25-03-2007, 16:33
If your still after one of the empire banners i'll get one thrown in with your grey knights.

El Diablo

spikyjames
25-03-2007, 16:56
You can have that one if you want Spiky, it's kinda crappily glued. :)

In return for a couple of tuts of course...

D.

El Diablo's gonna be sending me stuff anyway, so i'll get him to send me one if he can.

what sort of tut's you after?

If your still after one of the empire banners i'll get one thrown in with your grey knights.

El Diablo

yep, that'd be good

james

Destris
25-03-2007, 16:58
what sort of tut's you after?

james

White and Skin. :)

Oh, and snow bases.

D.

spikyjames
25-03-2007, 17:05
White and Skin. :)

Oh, and snow bases.

D.

ok mate. here you go

for skin
1- base coat of dark flesh
2- 50/50 mix dark flesh/dwarf flesh leaving dark flesh in the recess's
3- dwarf flesh again on the raised areas
4- 50/50 dwarf flesh/elf flesh on upper raised areas
5- elf flesh on upper areas
6- 50/50 elf flesh/skull white on extreme raised areas
the skin really needs to worked up through these colours, i use the smallest brush i can and ensure you keep the depth.

for white(it's pretty much the same as the GW method from the da pages)

over black
1- base coat shadow grey
2- space wolf grey ensuring i leave shadow grey in the recess's(couple of coats)
3- skull white on the outer edges, fairly watered down, again a couple of coats.

as for snow. well i've not got alot of experiance doing this but will have soonish as i've got lots of ogre's to get done. in the past when i've done little bits i've used pva and gw's snow stuff. it needs a few layers to make it look decent.

james

Destris
25-03-2007, 17:07
Many thanks. :)

Favourited.

D.

schoolcormorant
25-03-2007, 17:10
i find mixing up PVA water and snow flock looks very good, more natural than just sticking it down.

i like what you've done with the medic james, are you going to paint the bike a different colour or just the rider itself?

SC

spikyjames
25-03-2007, 18:13
i find mixing up PVA water and snow flock looks very good, more natural than just sticking it down.

i like what you've done with the medic james, are you going to paint the bike a different colour or just the rider itself?

SC

i'll just be painting parts of the rider different colours.

Sling
25-03-2007, 18:15
The medic is cool. the SB will be darn cool also if you'll do him like this. Keep it up!

odmiller
25-03-2007, 20:18
There's a good Brettonnian standard, ready made for use. The hand's even wearing an armored glove. Here's my interpretation if it helps. It's not near your calibur, but you could probably do something pretty cool with it.

http://odmiller.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/ravenwingsqdrn.gif

Kurai
25-03-2007, 23:50
This is looking great and I've found some useful ideas about how to paint my own Ravenwing when they arrive.

Rico
26-03-2007, 00:50
Hi Spiky,

I'm really impressed with how the face of your Sergent has come out, shadowed by his hood. Could you give some pointers at how you achieved this dour/menicing look. Have his eyes been painted in or is this left out to assist in the shading?

Some great work again. Thanks in advance,

Rico

Kurai
27-03-2007, 10:33
What's your recipe for the lenses on the helmets? I have some trouble making mine look good.

spikyjames
27-03-2007, 12:43
Hi Spiky,

I'm really impressed with how the face of your Sergent has come out, shadowed by his hood. Could you give some pointers at how you achieved this dour/menicing look. Have his eyes been painted in or is this left out to assist in the shading?

Some great work again. Thanks in advance,

Rico

nah his eyes were not painted, it's just a case of highlighting outer edges, the ones that you can see most of.

What's your recipe for the lenses on the helmets? I have some trouble making mine look good.

scab red leaving some black in the rear corner

blood red in the forward area of the lense.

a line of blazing orange on the upper edge

and finally a small spot of white in the rear corner.

that's about it.

cheers

james

MAD MAN-A-TRON
27-03-2007, 20:43
As always I am really impressed with your work, I'm really looking forward to the master on jetbike being painted, I'm sure he's going to come out awesome.

tristan the
27-03-2007, 21:51
Great stuff Spikey, clean and smooth as always.

Xyon
30-03-2007, 15:27
looking forward to the next update, keep up the great work.

lee
30-03-2007, 15:40
your rw look realy nice spiky

Strelok
30-03-2007, 16:38
Spiky, I'm starving for an update! I want to see the WIP (or maybe even finished?!?!) MoTR!!!

THE CHIEF
30-03-2007, 18:31
Me too, get to it!

spikyjames
31-03-2007, 13:25
cheers guys.

i've been quite busy over the last couple of weeks but now have a week and a half off of work:) i'm going to try and get the rest of the army done in this time.

i'll probably do updates with the days progress at the end of each day.

cheers

james

Angel Robertson
31-03-2007, 15:42
A week and a half tp paint the rest of a ravenwing force, that will be impressive!

AR

LemonPotato
31-03-2007, 19:11
A week and a half? That is not really much time to paint an army, best of luck though I am looking forward to an update.

LemonPotato

spikyjames
31-03-2007, 20:50
it's only 12 bikes, 2 attack bikes, 2 speeders and the master?

i should be able to get most of it done.

anyway, i've put together the ravenwing banner it just needs a bit of filling with GS.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/WIP%20Stuff/100_1642.jpg

i'll try and get a better pic once it's gs'd. what do you guys think?

james

Sling
31-03-2007, 20:53
The pic's bad. Really bad. But the banner is cool. Really cool.

Strelok
31-03-2007, 20:53
I think you should sculpt wings of the banner pole extending out onto the banner, I feel that would look sweet :p

schoolcormorant
31-03-2007, 21:42
i think it's an excellent shape. i'm looking forward to the freehand you will put on it :evilgrin:

SC

hertz
01-04-2007, 00:40
Its a decent idea, that banner. I think you should GS it allong the while joint, to make sure it doesn't look wierd.

I like how this army are turning out, even though I feel you could have done it even better, especially considering the possibilities for posing when the bikes have a base to stand on.

I must ask you a question, not really on this topic, but it will affect my RW: The shoulderpads I seen you use for your Mentors captain and command squad, how exactly did you do them? and what is the best (cheapest) source of those terminator pads (I assume it is, from the beginning?)

spikyjames
01-04-2007, 09:16
I must ask you a question, not really on this topic, but it will affect my RW: The shoulderpads I seen you use for your Mentors captain and command squad, how exactly did you do them? and what is the best (cheapest) source of those terminator pads (I assume it is, from the beginning?)

those pads are actually terminator shoulder pads, they've had the bottom part trimmed off and the gap at the front filled with green stuff. if you search throught he thread their on you will find some wip pics of them where you can see this.

cheapest way to get them would probably be to find a bits service that has enough of them for what you need, otherwise you'll need to buy some terminators.

james

Angel Robertson
01-04-2007, 12:53
Cool looking banner! Wen do we see pics of the master or are ou saving him to last?

aR

hertz
01-04-2007, 15:36
Spikey, Ok, thank you very much.

When do we get to see the banner GS:ed?

spikyjames
01-04-2007, 18:01
Cool looking banner! Wen do we see pics of the master or are ou saving him to last?

aR

he'll probably get done last

Spikey, Ok, thank you very much.

When do we get to see the banner GS:ed?

now:)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/WIP%20Stuff/100_1648.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/WIP%20Stuff/100_1647.jpg

the gs looks a bit rough at the minute.

i think it looks a tad on the large side, it'd be good to know what you guys think?

james

Strelok
01-04-2007, 18:16
I like it. I also like how the rider is reminiscent of a mounted brother bethor.

pompeyladbfp
01-04-2007, 18:20
i think a gonfalon (sp?) style banner would be better to be honest.

spikyjames
01-04-2007, 18:21
i think a gonfalon (sp?) style banner would be better to be honest.

what's that then, pic?

Strelok
01-04-2007, 18:26
I assume the type he means is the sort of banner you see on lances and hanging from horns and such, the triangular type. If it wasn't for the freehand poential of the large banner you're using, I would have suggested a similar thing.

Sling
01-04-2007, 19:56
Looks great so far. Looking forward to see some great freehand on this banner.

stahly
01-04-2007, 21:14
The huge banner at the back of a bike - I don't think that the proportions are balanced.

deBaas
01-04-2007, 21:30
I Think it lost just amazing! Some Awesome freehand painting on it and you got yourself another masterpeice, spiky!!

Ray K.
01-04-2007, 22:44
I've been lurking this thread for a while. You're doing a great job on everything. But I have to say I'm not really a fan of the standard :(

It seems a tad too large. The concept is awesome, but I think it just needs to be a bit smaller. Who knows though.. maybe it will look outstanding once it's painted :)

Kurai
01-04-2007, 22:44
In my eyes it's a little bit over the top. Even while a great freehand can be done on it I think it will be too much. A smaller banner would probably look better. Unfortunately I have no idea about what to use.

spikyjames
01-04-2007, 22:46
cheers for the feedback guys, i'll leave the standard for a while and reconsider it when it comes round to painting. i may take the back piece off this should make it a bit smaller.

james

Kurai
01-04-2007, 22:53
cheers for the feedback guys, i'll leave the standard for a while and reconsider it when it comes round to painting. i may take the back piece off this should make it a bit smaller.

james

Actually if you could shape it into a triangular banner I think it would be better.

Edit:
http://hem.bredband.net/kurai/pic/test.jpg
On the other hand it might be too long?

Inquisitor lorr
01-04-2007, 23:14
It looks good spiky,but i'm not sure if it makes the model as a whole appear too long.I thin what would look good is a banner in the style of the sister of battle tank sprue banner (its what i'll use if i do any ravenwing).

The banner to the right side of this sprue (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99390108001&orignav=10)

spikyjames
01-04-2007, 23:33
mmm... i think i may have one of them in a bit's box somewhere i'll have a look and see.

cheers

james

CMDante
02-04-2007, 00:33
I think it would look better with the bearer holding a cavalry style banner (Long, relatively slim rectangle with optional triangular ending) on a banner pole, it would help balance out the composition IMO.

Strelok
02-04-2007, 00:36
Actually, the rider holding the banner sounds good.... the end should either be a triangle or the type where it is a long rather thin rectangle as before except with a triangle taken out of the end, like this |/\|

hertz
02-04-2007, 17:59
SpikeyJames, there are a new DA article up on th eUS Gw webpage, that uses almost exaclty the same idea as you for the RW bannerman: http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/darkangels/painting/characters/5.htm

So, who stole who´s idea? :P

spikyjames
02-04-2007, 18:04
that's quite interesting, i'd imagine he's had that done for a while. it's the first time i've seen it though.

thanks for showing it.

cheers

james

Vimes
02-04-2007, 20:15
Spike, after having been awy from this forum for e while i must say that i went throu the whole thread and am impressed by the speed and the quality of your painting.:eek:

Congrats

P.S.: Can't wait to see Samael painted:)

spikyjames
02-04-2007, 21:16
cheers mate.

well i've manages to drag my self into painting the next biker.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1649.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1652.jpg

that's me over the hurdle now so i should be able to get myself motivated to get the rest of the squad finished (i found it hard to get painting these again after taking a short break).

cheers, and thanks for keeping me motivated.

james

oh! and varnish will be applied once the whole squad are done.

Deadleyheadley
02-04-2007, 21:19
Sweet as ever mate ,Looking forward to seeing how you paint the master ;)

schoolcormorant
02-04-2007, 21:33
yep, fantastic, come on man, finish the squad, and get to work on the master :)

SC

Tussky
02-04-2007, 22:28
Yep an other fantastic marine.

I think you should paint a mentor than an rw marine and a mentor again :)

spikyjames
04-04-2007, 22:54
ok finally got round to giving you all an update.

here's the next 2 bikers done.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1656.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1655.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1653.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/spikyjames/Dark%20Angels/100_1654.jpg

tomorrow i'll be starting on the attack bike for the squadron.

cheers

james

schoolcormorant
04-04-2007, 23:04
wow, the meltagunner one to me looks you're best yet, though that might be the photo and they're all amazing ;)
beautiful stuff as ever ;)

SC

LemonPotato
04-04-2007, 23:07
Looking great as always Spiky. I really like the cloak, those fine lines of orange really hit the spot. As always I am impressed by the speed and quality of your painting. Looking forward to seeing more.

We don't want an attack bike next, we want the master!

LemonPotato

Strelok
05-04-2007, 00:11
That sergeant is my favorite, I like the sculpted head.

Sling
05-04-2007, 08:45
The barhead-guy is truly awesome, mate!