PDA

View Full Version : Empire vrs Necra Vampires

mikeydanuke2003
11-03-2007, 04:59
Greetings all.
I have just spent some time reading some of the threads dealing with VC, and VC vrs Anti-magic Empire, and thought I would jump in and say hi, so to speak. I am fairly new to WHFB's, (4 or 5 months) and am in the process of painting an Empire army up. I have played a few battles and watched a few more, so I have a basic understanding of the game, and I have wargamed for a number of years, so I have a good feel for what infantry, cavalry, and Artillery are used for. I just don't have a lot of experience in Warhammer, and I don't have a good feel for what a lot of the other races/nations can do.

I have joined a campaign that is being run at one of the local hobby stores. I much prefer campaign battles to "my 2,000 pts vrs your 2,000 pts" type battles. In Campaign battles, the objective (as I see it) is to win the battle as cheaply as possible, because you may need every point value of unit somewhere down the line. Frequently battles are fought where a player outnumbers a "neutral nation" by two or more.

Next week I expect to invade a Necra Vampire kingdom that I border. I will fight a battle where I outnumber a Necra army by some 4250 pts to 2,000. I am currently going through my army lists to decide what to being, but my real question, after reading some of the other threads, is what kind of Characters to bring?

I am allowed 3 Lords and 5 heroes, I was thinking of:
Grandmaster Templar, Wizard Lord (4th lvl), Arch Lector, Capt of the Empire with Imperial Banner, Master Engineer, 2 Lvl 2 Wizards, and a Warrior Priest. The 2 lvl 2 wizards with be Scroll caddies. The priests will go to my main strike units, 2 units of Knights or a unit of Greatswordsmen

I also plan to have lots of Artillery...ideally I will win the battle and not lose any troops....no need to go into those rare occurrances where I have lost battles I have outnumbered the enemy in....

bluesky322
11-03-2007, 06:44
well i think that when more ppl see this i think you will be yelled at for trying to build a gunline but i dont mind it

i think that you may anoy his magic for like 2 turns but since you will most likely way outnumber him is sounds like an easy win

hope no one tries to rip you a new one

;)

Wings of Doom
11-03-2007, 11:14
Well, gunlines don't work that well against VC, due to their ability to summon units blocking LOS (although your magic will sorely outmatch anything they can have at 2K) and their easy access to fliers. I'd say take a steam tank- its hard for them to kill, can kill plenty in return, and's immune to psychology. A couple of units of knights to keep up with some characters, a few units of handgunners and a cannon or two, then take a large flank of solid infantry units- swordsmen or spearmen with some greatswords. Run up one flank with your fast, hard hitting units, and slowly move up with the infantry whilst pounding him with gunpowder.

FatOlaf
11-03-2007, 13:16
I am allowed 3 Lords and 5 heroes, I was thinking of:
Grandmaster Templar, Wizard Lord (4th lvl), Arch Lector, Capt of the Empire with Imperial Banner, Master Engineer, 2 Lvl 2 Wizards, and a Warrior Priest. The 2 lvl 2 wizards with be Scroll caddies. The priests will go to my main strike units, 2 units of Knights or a unit of Greatswordsmen

I also plan to have lots of Artillery...ideally I will win the battle and not lose any troops....no need to go into those rare occurrances where I have lost battles I have outnumbered the enemy in....

At that big a gap between points, just close his magic phase down and you've won, use your Templar in a Knights unit (immune to psych) tool them up and go Necrarch General hunting.

Use the Lord, the Lector, dump the Engineer (useless) and get another priest with the 2 lvl 2 wizards as scroll caddies, this will give you 9 DD with 4 DS, then use that rod where you can store 3 PD and you will potentially have 12 DD and 4 DS. Meantime shut his magic phase down and bomb the crap out of his big zombie units, clear they way for your knights to kill his general, game over!

mikeydanuke2003
11-03-2007, 14:35
"dump the Engineer (useless) and get another priest "

Hey FatOlaf, thanks for the reply. The Engineer (attached to a Mortar) has served me in good stead in a few earlier battles vrs orcs, and a test battle or two, but those have been against enemies subject to morale, so landing a mortar round in a big block of infantry and causing a morale test has worked. I know that same tactic would not work against undead, so I was thinking of swapping the Engineer for a second priest. I like the idea of the priests Unbending Rightousness and Soulfire, particularly facing an enemy that causes fear and terror. With A Templar GM, Arch Lector, and 2 warrior Priest I would be able to field 4 units immune to unbreakable (5 if I go with a Steam Tank).

vampires are cool!
11-03-2007, 14:39
Off topic here, but why you out-number him so badly?

Also just be aware that he might go cavelry mad and just hope like hell for the first turn, hit your lines and pray that combat is his friend.

mikeydanuke2003
11-03-2007, 14:46
I'd say take a steam tank- its hard for them to kill, can kill plenty in return, and's immune to psychology. .

Thanks Wings,
I Used a Steam Tank in my last battle vrs Orcs. By the end of the 2nd turn the Tank had 5 wounds on it due to misfires. I realize that when the Gods of the Dice hate you, they hate you, but I wasn't too impressed by the steam tanks performance. Just for the hell-of-it, because I heavily outnumber the Vamps, and because I've never used one before, I was thinking of bringing a Hellstorm Rocket Battery* instead.
But after looking at the pts list, I could bring both, I might have to think about that.
Toodles
MDN

* As a point of personnel reference, I generally like to have at least one of every type of unit available in whatever army I am running. I expect to purchase Flagellants when the new ones come out, a HRB when that model comes out, and I still need 5 more greatswordsmen and 20 Halberdiers.