PDA

View Full Version : WARP: Wing AI Roster Editor

Slekith
12-03-2007, 01:51
I just had an idea on friday! And I've spend all the weekend programming. I've done a program that lets you select the mission, wing and role (attacker or defender) and lets you create your list and prints the roster ready for your dogfight! There's a lot of work to do but it might be ready online in a week or so. If you want to see what it will be like enter http://enterthewarp.dyndns.org/warp/ai (This is a WIP, so don'tworry it crashes :D I might be actually changing the code as you use it!! :) )

Hope you like it. I'll let you know when it's ready!

levinas
12-03-2007, 10:30
It's looking good so far. Will it be possible to download this when it's done?

The only thing I'd change (apart from finishing it) is the dotty border, to my mind straight lines would look sharper...

And a question (maybe another change) - will it be possible to unselect extra weapons loads? At the moment once selected it seems to be impossible to unselect. Perhaps an option (the default option) on the dropdown menu could be 'No extra weapons load'?

Excellent work.

Malarick
12-03-2007, 12:43
This is excellent so far.

Will it have options for the other races beside the Imperial Navy?

The only thing where you might run into trouble on is putting all the stats and points online. This would mean that people do not need to purchase the rulebook really to play the game, once they have learned the rules, and this might cause a bit of a stir with FW.

I hope it won't though, cos I am looking forward to seeing the final version!

Slekith
12-03-2007, 12:45
First, there won'be a download option, eventhough it might be a good idea to be able to download the roster you've created (I pretended to store it online). I know you can't "unload" an aircraft :( wi'll fix it tonight GMT +1. I hope I add some more features too, I'll let you know. Thanks for the feedback

Slekith
12-03-2007, 12:48
This is excellent so far.

Will it have options for the other races beside the Imperial Navy?

The only thing where you might run into trouble on is putting all the stats and points online. This would mean that people do not need to purchase the rulebook really to play the game, once they have learned the rules, and this might cause a bit of a stir with FW.

I hope it won't though, cos I am looking forward to seeing the final version!

Ofcourse!! Actually IT ALREADY DOES!! :D But as I haven't finished the interface to select it I haven't enable it and I thought that the Imperial navy, being the largest would be a good "testing" option. I hope FW takes it as a tool, in fact I pretend to put a link to their page in my starting page saying "go get it, it's cool" :D

levinas
12-03-2007, 12:58
I've taken a closer look at it and, again, I think it's great. There's obviously quite a bit of programming to go but let us know when you're ready to have it fully tested and I'll be happy to give you detailed feedback.

tanker
12-03-2007, 19:02
I assume you'll be setting it up to handle multiple instances? Now it looks like everyone is editing the same roster.

Otherwise looks handy.

Slekith
12-03-2007, 21:04
I assume you'll be setting it up to handle multiple instances? Now it looks like everyone is editing the same roster.

Otherwise looks handy.

Not just it WILL but you'll be also allowed to store as many rosters as you wish. And access them online anytime and print them anywhere you are! :D What you see now is just like a "that's more or less what the edit windows will be like" demo. Thanks for the feedback. I just got home from university and it's time to do some coding! :D

fattdex
12-03-2007, 22:08
Very cool idea :D for my mind, the best format for printed recordings is like that of the excel roster sheets for chaos and imperial that have been posted in this forum. I used those in games yesterday and it makes tracking your force and turns very easy. I am not sure what your printed version will look like, but I hope it is similar.

Slekith
12-03-2007, 23:44
This is more or less my idea! Comment are welcome!! :D (as allways).

fattdex
13-03-2007, 01:04
That's good, but what i like about the other roster sheet i downloaded (it was a powerpoint built sheet, pardon) is that instead of just listing ammo 1,2,3,4 above the ammo boxes, it has the actual weapon names with checkboxes to mark off ammo used next to them. Perhaps it would make it more game friendly if you were able to have it dynamically change the names of the weapons boxes, and even the number of weapons boxes (don't forget to leave lots of room when you do the marauder and manta!) based on the weapons load chosen.

Also, it might be good to move the turn number to the top of the box provided, and make it smaller as i found that i like to cross off the turn number for each aircraft after i move it, and it would be easier to mark down your card number in a blank space. Last thing, don't forget to mark turns 11 and 12 as fuel low and disengage!

Slekith
13-03-2007, 01:08
That's good, but what i like about the other roster sheet i downloaded (it was a powerpoint built sheet, pardon) is that instead of just listing ammo 1,2,3,4 above the ammo boxes, it has the actual weapon names with checkboxes to mark off ammo used next to them. Perhaps it would make it more game friendly if you were able to have it dynamically change the names of the weapons boxes, and even the number of weapons boxes (don't forget to leave lots of room when you do the marauder and manta!) based on the weapons load chosen.

Also, it might be good to move the turn number to the top of the box provided, and make it smaller as i found that i like to cross off the turn number for each aircraft after i move it, and it would be easier to mark down your card number in a blank space. Last thing, don't forget to mark turns 11 and 12 as fuel low and disengage!

Thanks for all the ideas. The turn number will be a water mark, about the AMMO I'll do just like you say, I like the idea. Last but not least I think I'll hate the Manta soon!! (Haven't messed with it yet).

Slekith
13-03-2007, 10:25
I haven't sleep tonight working on it. Let me know what you think about the update, still A LOT TO DO but some progress has been done :D

enterthewarp.dyndns.org/warp/ai

Slekith
14-03-2007, 07:27
Alright! I've done some minor work today. All aircrafts and defences are available. All that is left is constraint every roster to the mission requirements and allow the user to add only those elements allowed in the scenario. Then I'll start with some tests for the output roster and once the application is fully functional I'll do some work on the looks.

http://enterthewarp.dyndns.org/warp/ai

levinas
14-03-2007, 18:42
I'm just getting a blank white page :cries:

Steam_Giant
14-03-2007, 20:36
I'm just getting a blank white page

Yup me too, Broken link Slekith ! :o

Lt. Co Steel
14-03-2007, 20:37
I to am just getting a white page, why does my computer hate me?:(

Slekith
14-03-2007, 23:51
I'm havgin problems with INTERNET EXPLORER!! Try Firefox, Opera or Safari by now, I promise to fix it asap. I've done some changes to the design.

Here you are in case you can't access the app.

Slekith
15-03-2007, 01:33
Alright! Internet Explorer problem solved! Still lot to do as today I wasted my time doing some tests on the looks.

levinas
15-03-2007, 09:06
Just taken a very quick look and it's looking good so far. I've not had time to work through the page properly but here are a couple of early observations:

1) Just tried adding aircraft (Behind Enemy Lines) but it wouldn't actually add them to the roster on the right.
2) When you switch from one type of aircraft to another (bomber to fighter for example) the previous aircraft's data remains - it might be nice if it disappeared when you toggle?
3) Perhaps it would be helpful if the limitations of an 'army list' are given next to the title of the scenario.
4) As a purely cosmetic thing I'd stick to one font (preferably something like arial/helvetica that looks like the font used in the AI book)
5) When you select imperials the light blue box behind the types of aircraft doesn't fit with the text that appears (it is too small).
6) In the missions drop down menu 'Knight's Strike' is spelt incorrectly and there's a missing space in 'Bomber Mission'.
7) Unless you have a massive monitor, or great eyesight, the list of rosters is very hard to read.

And a question: Will you be developing this to work with campaigns? A far bigger project I imagine but it would be very cool indeed!

Keep going with this, it's going to be excellent. :)

CENOBITE
15-03-2007, 12:10
1) Just tried adding aircraft but it wouldn't actually add them to the roster on the right. )

Got the same problem (using Firefox 2.0.0.2)

Slekith
15-03-2007, 12:28
Just taken a very quick look and it's looking good so far. I've not had time to work through the page properly but here are a couple of early observations:

1) Just tried adding aircraft (Behind Enemy Lines) but it wouldn't actually add them to the roster on the right.

This option is currently disabled as I'm working on the scenario constraints right now. WORKING AS INTENDED

2) When you switch from one type of aircraft to another (bomber to fighter for example) the previous aircraft's data remains - it might be nice if it disappeared when you toggle?

Good Idea, I'll keep it in mind

3) Perhaps it would be helpful if the limitations of an 'army list' are given next to the title of the scenario.

Just working on it

4) As a purely cosmetic thing I'd stick to one font (preferably something like arial/helvetica that looks like the font used in the AI book)

Ofcoure, current design is just a makeup. Actualy is not even tested to work the same way on every browser. Ultimate design will.

5) When you select imperials the light blue box behind the types of aircraft doesn't fit with the text that appears (it is too small).

See answer number 4 :D

6) In the missions drop down menu 'Knight's Strike' is spelt incorrectly and there's a missing space in 'Bomber Mission'.

SOLVED!

7) Unless you have a massive monitor, or great eyesight, the list of rosters is very hard to read.

It will not be.

And a question: Will you be developing this to work with campaigns? A far bigger project I imagine but it would be very cool indeed!

Keep going with this, it's going to be excellent. :)

I don't know yet! If people realy finds it useful, why not!?! :D

Thanks a lot for all the feedback.

levinas
16-03-2007, 00:02
Here's an idea - if you're not going to extend this to work with campaigns (which would be a lot of work but very cool) then how about adding in either the campaign missions onto the dropdown menu or having an option to build a list without restrictions ('Unrestricted' or 'Unspecified'?) That way people could still use the application for campaign games.

Slekith
16-03-2007, 00:10
Here's an idea - if you're not going to extend this to work with campaigns (which would be a lot of work but very cool) then how about adding in either the campaign missions onto the dropdown menu or having an option to build a list without restrictions ('Unrestricted' or 'Unspecified'?) That way people could still use the application for campaign games.

Ups!! I forgot to include the campaign missions!! :( Don't worry they'll be available in the final release. As for the FREE EDIT MODE will be available, in fact is the default mode :) and is the one you've been using during this days. This weekend I promise to have something "ready" with user support and so on. Registration is just $100 a month and you have up to 5 rosters!!!

Just joking, this ********g AJAX is killing me!

Thanks for your feedback.

NOTE: The editor may crash anytime as I work DIRECTLY on the production source files. Sorry

levinas
16-03-2007, 10:15
Just noticed that the once you've selected an aircraft type from the fighters section of the Imperials you can no longer see the entries for Vulture/Arvus/Aquila as it gets covered by the stats for the selected aircraft. (I'm using Explorer if that makes a difference).

Slekith
16-03-2007, 13:38
That makes a difference!! :D Working on it! Thanks.

Slekith
18-03-2007, 20:36
I've been doing some more coding this weekend. There's still problems with Dogfight and Unrestricted lists but you can now PRINT YOUR ROSTER!! The look of the roster is not final but the layout is very aproximate, although I'm think about printing every weapons info right below its ammo case. Tell me what you think about it!!

Feedback is welcome indeed!

levinas
18-03-2007, 22:25
I'm getting 'points exceeded' messages... When I enter 100 points on the opening page it doesn't seem to be recorded on the roster page.

A couple of other points:
1) My brower's 'back' button doesn't take you back to the previous page.
2) When you get the select points option it'd be nice if the wording 'disappeared' when you clicked in the box to type in the numbers.

I'll check back later to see if I can get the points thing to work.

Slekith
19-03-2007, 03:12
I'm having some serious trouble with the roster points validation due to the different browser oddities. Working on it as is the last thing left to do apart from the user login witch is pretty easy to do.

Slekith
20-03-2007, 20:52
I droped a line to FW yesterday and here's the reply I've got today:

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. Whilst we thoroughly appreciate the effort that you must have gone to in producing this, I am afraid that we are unable to give permission for its use on the internet as it would set a precedent not just for our rules but for Games Workshop games as a whole.

Kind regards, Stuart McQuarrie.

What do you think about it?

Malarick
20-03-2007, 21:06
What do you think about it?

This is exactly what I was saying to you right at the start of this thread.

I love the work you are doing, and I would certainly love to see it fully working.

However I can also see where FW are coming from, as the program provides all the neccessary stats a player needs, without having to purchase the book.

It is a bit like someone providing all the army list entries from the latest codex. From their perspective it would damage sales.

It would indeed be a pity to see all this hard work go to waste though, as it was coming on mighty fine.

Slekith
20-03-2007, 21:15
Well here's my reply:

I DO understand and I have to say I did not expect any other answer. I'd like to know who I had to talk to to get that that kind of permission. It could be released under your brand or any other GW see fit. As I said in my first message I intend no revenue just want to add my two cents to the game. I'll wait for an answer until I take further action. Thanks for your rapid reply.

Congratulations once more for Aeronautica Imperialis.

Alex.

So, standing by...

Slekith
09-05-2007, 22:33
I'm glad to announce that after a few weeks I've finally received a mail from a John Fletcher (Legal Support Assistant for GW) telling me I sort of have a go with the release of the editor online! :D I can't tell you more because of the f***g IP policy but as soon as I'm done with my exams, you'll see www.enterthewarp.com come true.

Thank's to all the posters and "feedbackers?" for their precious help.

daemonkin
10-05-2007, 10:13
Nice work Slekith!

D

HarkonGreywolf
07-06-2007, 21:16
Any news on this?

Harkon Greywolf

Slekith
07-06-2007, 21:58
It's already done. All I need is time to upload it to a proper server and improve the look and feel witch I can't do right now because I'm finishing my degree on Computer Engineering and I'm pretty busy :( .For those who have kept tuned to this thread maybe you'd like to know we are planning on stretching the portal to cover BFG and W40k rosters as well. Hope you like it!

Again, thanks to all of you for your support.

HarkonGreywolf
17-06-2007, 13:45
Sounds like you are too busy to enjoy any hobbying at present, sorry to hear that!
When does your study/degree work finish? I know English Universities tend to pack up mid to end of June, but have no idea about Spanish ones!

HG - Can't wait to see this programme! :D

Slekith
17-06-2007, 14:28
Well, next month I'll resume my work so you can expect a release about mid july. Sorry for the delay! :(

HarkonGreywolf
17-06-2007, 14:47
No worries!
Was just wondering that's all! ;)
Good luck with the study stuff!

HG

Slekith
02-07-2007, 00:21
I just added the Harbringer! :D I've moved to a new place so the domain enterthewarp.dyndns.org is no longer available. I'll post here the new one soon (expect it to be www.enterthewarp.com). Anyway, I'll start working on it again this week!! See you soon.

orangesm
02-07-2007, 02:26
Question on the inclusion of BFG - does this really require any special permissions at the moment?

The rules are free available, so I would suspect as long as credit was given to the source that it would not be an issue - the same in regards to any other SG games.

Another question - since it appears you have GW's blessing are you allowed to include non-published/player developed units in the program?

For AI there is the Ork Landa (using the SG model) and possibly Tyranids (once I and others get some more play testing done). This goes even further for Epic, as the vast majority of the list are under constant playtesting and even the published list are subject to change.

Is it possible to get a data formating template to be made available to ease your pain and get others involved if they would like to participate.

Slekith
02-07-2007, 09:16
We intend to support as much models and rules as we are capable of so if there's rules out there for the Landa I'll include them letting the user now they are no way "official" so that he can still set a "tournament" wing / fleet / army (in time W40K will be supported too). We do have permission granted from GW but that only affects the official stuff, we can add whatever we want to it!

Slekith
04-11-2007, 01:58
Hey mates!! We are about to release the beta of WARP for Aeronautica Imperialis. Keep an eye on www.enterthewarp.com!!

(and we are now starting the development for w40k!!!)

Thanks to all of you who send their comments and suggestions!!

Slekith
10-11-2007, 14:15
Just wanted to let you know we have set blog. You visit it and tell us what you think!!!

Slekith
24-11-2007, 06:49
We need italian translators!!!! Please contact us if you wish to help us!!

Slekith
26-11-2007, 15:36
We've updated the site. Now you have a pretty nice idea of what WARP will be like. We are still working very hard to release the AI app asap.

Slekith
18-12-2007, 14:49
We've posted some new screenshots at our blog (http://blog.enterthewarp.com) and more important, we are releasing THIS WEEK!!! :D (Recuerda que tenemos tambien el blog en espaņol (http://blog.enterthewarp.es)).

Here's a preview :D
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2100/2119248020_68f2070a95_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21615598@N03/2119248020/)

Slekith
11-01-2008, 15:18
Beta is about to start! In a few days the beta testing phase of our project will be up so if you want to get your slot all you have to do is visit our blog.

http://blog.enterthewarp.com

ALF
25-01-2008, 23:21
I noticed earlier that you needed servers.. I can help you with that if you still need it (PM Me)