PDA

View Full Version : My 1st Warhammer model

Herod
12-03-2007, 02:47
Hi all,

I am new to Warhammer (1 game under my belt!), and I have started putting together a minotaur heavy Nurgle army.

I have been painting mechs/tanks/spacships, but this is my 1st attempt at anything "organic".

It has been a good learning experience, and hopefully I will improve in my next attempts. Anyway, thanks for looking, and critiques/suggestions are VERY welcome. :D

H

http://home.comcast.net/~xherodx/pbull1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~xherodx/pbull2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~xherodx/pbull3.jpg

devolutionary
12-03-2007, 03:11
I'd say that you are going to have no trouble at all, it looks superb and very original, even with such a straight-forward theme as Nurgle.

NightLord
12-03-2007, 03:56
If I could paint like that on my first model I would kill!

That is a very nice conversion and a great job painting.

Jon_Irenicus
12-03-2007, 04:01
I think that the green octupus flies a bit away from the miniature. I mean... everything´s ok, maybe it´s just the colour that´s too shiny for the rest of the muted colours of the minotaur...

Please note that when I say "ok", I mean very good indeed :) it´s a superb paint job, congratulations and keep it up! And that last picture really shows the best of the miniature, with the swollen eye especially. You made "the ugly pretty", if I may say so. Keep it up :)

spikedog
12-03-2007, 05:51
Very nice, I can't fault your painting technique because everything is clean and smooth with good execution of techniques.

The colours however, just don't scream Nurgle to me, the skin is a bit to vibrant. Maybe if it were slightly paler or had a tint of green to it. Also maybe making the axe as rusted looking as the armour on his shoulder would help bring the model together more.

These however are minor points as it is a very good model, a unit of these would look fab. Very "classic" Warhammer Fantasy look to it.

kyussinchains
12-03-2007, 09:30
excellent! a fantastic paint job and some nice conversion work indeed, I'm loving the little octopus dude!

I think a unit of those minotaurs would look awesome, more please!!

Braad
12-03-2007, 11:25
It looks great! Nice conversion and nice painting.

Perhaps the back of the minotaur could do with some nice nurgly accents though, cause that part seems a bit plain and beasty.

Herod
12-03-2007, 14:48
Hello all,

Thanks very much for the feedback, it is exactly what I was looking for.

I think the model suffers a bit from my desire to "try a little bit of everything", so my next attempt will be to tie it all together better.

As I will have multiple units of minotaurs, I was thinking that each model would be in various states of ...decay/mutation - hoping that random looking models might make for good looking Chaos.

Thanks again,

H

Boss_Salvage
12-03-2007, 16:06
Nice! Solid sculpting, painting, everything really :D All the shiny varnish is good stuff too.

Maybe only thing I can critique is that the nurgling is just too dark a green for me. I would have liked it if the little guy matched the octopus thing a bit more, which would make them both fit a little better. No matter in the end though, still a great model.

Really looking forward to more!

- Salvage

Jon_Irenicus
12-03-2007, 19:28
Hello all,

Thanks very much for the feedback, it is exactly what I was looking for.

I think the model suffers a bit from my desire to "try a little bit of everything", so my next attempt will be to tie it all together better.

As I will have multiple units of minotaurs, I was thinking that each model would be in various states of ...decay/mutation - hoping that random looking models might make for good looking Chaos.

Thanks again,

H

You paint every unit like that and it'll be a fearsome army. Oh, could you tell us how you did the "normal" flesh in the minotaur?

Nice! Solid sculpting, painting, everything really :D All the shiny varnish is good stuff too.

Maybe only thing I can critique is that the nurgling is just too dark a green for me. I would have liked it if the little guy matched the octopus thing a bit more, which would make them both fit a little better. No matter in the end though, still a great model.

Really looking forward to more!

- Salvage

I was more fond of the Nurgling than the octopus, which seems out of place in his arm, and colour-wise too - I prefer the muted green.

Herod
12-03-2007, 20:55
You paint every unit like that and it'll be a fearsome army. Oh, could you tell us how you did the "normal" flesh in the minotaur?

Hi - Funny enough I painted it straight out of the color guide in the Beasts of Chaos book. That is how I discovered there is actually a misprint... :cries:
The book says highlight with dwarf flesh, but the color sample is bronze flesh.

So it was 50/50 base of dark flesh/bronze flesh, and highlighted with bronze flesh (and maybe a last mix of bronze/dwarf flesh at highest points.) Lastly, the veins are rotted flesh mixed with bronzed flesh (as I recall).

I used really thin paints and tinkered with it a lot because it was so foreign to what I was used to.

Thanks again all - I will post the unit when it is done.

H

Durandal
13-03-2007, 14:19
Nice job! I especially like the different textures you've managed to create.

TheWarSmith
13-03-2007, 14:37
Please tell me you've painted other miniatures before. If you haven't, I'm sadly put to shame.

GREAT conversion and GS work. Really makes him come to life.

Braad
13-03-2007, 17:15
I have been painting mechs/tanks/spacships, but this is my 1st attempt at anything "organic".

So indeed, not the first painting attempt ever.

Herod, do you have a picture of the unpainted model, so we could see how you made it?

Herod
13-03-2007, 21:04
So indeed, not the first painting attempt ever.
Herod, do you have a picture of the unpainted model, so we could see how you made it?

Hi all,

Thanks again for the feedback. Unfortunately I don't have any other pictures, but I'll try and take some of the rest of the unit when I get that far along.

I didn't mean to be misleading, as this was definitely not my 1st painting attempt - just the first time I painted anything with skin/fur/eyes/teeth etc. :)

Some of my "usual" stuff is here: http://www.star-ranger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1776 (don't know if anyone out there remembers Star Blazers - unless you are over 30. :)

H